Jets signing Dalvin Cook? 6/9 Update Cook Released

11 hours ago, RevisIsland610 said:

It's not a disaster, lol. He's 2 years removed from an MVP. He will be light years better than what we have seen behind center the past few years. This roster is really good and a real NFL QB was the missing piece. It's going to be a great season. 

There were a lot of QB's available, for MUCH less is cash and treasure, that would have been lights years better than what we have seen behind center the past few years.  Not a particularly difficult hurdle there.

Look, I like Rodgers I think he'll be very good here - but what JD paid for him was absurd, not because Rodgers isn't good but because he was the only one bidding.  Rodgers isn't the disaster - the deal JD cut was!  

He took on $100mm two year contract and paid a 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, swap of early first and more -  and he did this when GB had NO choice but to eventually trade him to the Jets.  From that perspective it was downright awful.

And he did this for one, maybe two years of a soon to be 40 year old QB.

Not supporting that with everything you can just makes zero sense.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

You think we're beating teams like BUF, DAL, GB, NE, PHI, DEN with Rodgers slinging the ball around (ala Flacco early last year) with no run game? Not happening.

GB, Denver and NE, yes.  Buffalo, Philly probably not.  

21 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

And Mahomes has won 2 SB in the last few years while Rodgers has won none. Last I checked the goal isn't to win MVPs, it's to win the SB.

Other than MVP is an individual award for best player and SBs usually go to the best team.  

14 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

There were a lot of QB's available, for MUCH less is cash and treasure, that would have been lights years better than what we have seen behind center the past few years.  Not a particularly difficult hurdle there.

Look, I like Rodgers I think he'll be very good here - but what JD paid for him was absurd, not because Rodgers isn't good but because he was the only one bidding.  Rodgers isn't the disaster - the deal JD cut was!  

He took on $100mm two year contract and paid a 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, swap of early first and more -  and he did this when GB had NO choice but to eventually trade him to the Jets.  From that perspective it was downright awful.

You thought we were going to trade for a multiple MVP winning QB, a top 5 all great QB, a player who all broadcast everywhere that would transform this loser of a team into instant contenders for a bag of balls? 
Its Jerome from the Bronx or Ira from Staten Island thinking

17 hours ago, slats said:

I remember when I was vehemently arguing against signing Le’Veon Bell. I feel good about my opinion with Cook, too. 

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Ok, this is getting a little out there now. The situation  with Cook is nothing like Bell's. I agree in hindsight that Bell was a bad fit here but Cook is still in his prime all though  nearing the end. If Cook would sign a 2 year deal, I don't  see a problem. 

Credit where credit is due slats nailed that one and I was wrong. With my QB opinions and his RB opinions we would make a helluva GM duo.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You thought we were going to trade for a multiple MVP winning QB, a top 5 all great QB, a player who all broadcast everywhere that would transform this loser of a team into instant contenders for a bag of balls? 
Its Jerome from the Bronx or Ira from Staten Island thinking

Yes.  If that multiple MVP winning QB, a top 5 all great QB, a player - said he will ONLY play for the NY Jets AND the team HAS to get rid of him...

Yes. you get him for a bag of balls...or at worst get the other team to take on that absurd contract.  It just wreaks of childish impatience.

• Post of the Week 1

21 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Enough with the whining. Specifically what would you have done differently, and show how it works under the cap. 

54 man roster. Put up or 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes.  If that multiple MVP winning QB, a top 5 all great QB, a player - said he will ONLY play for the NY Jets AND the team HAS to get rid of him...

Yes. you get him for a bag of balls...or at worst get the other team to take on that absurd contract.  It just wreaks of childish impatience.

Too bad no one was trading him to the Jets for a bag of balls

You have to stop whining about what have been.  We’re a contender just stop to contemplate that and be happy.  Spending what Cook wants isn’t a need.  A running back and another #2 receiver aren’t “holes”.  

• More Ugh 1

45 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

If Carter, Abanikanda and Knight get 5 touches each a game, that’s the other 250 touches.

#1- We won’t have 4 RBs on the opening day roster. Bam or Izzy to PS. Now your touches are divisible by 3. Cook handles majority of snaps games 1-4 as Hall ramps up. 

#2- The Jets are looking to establish the running game early and often. Hopefully with longer, sustainable drives with Rodgers at Qb there will be more touches. Last season Jets ranked 26th in RA… 140 attempts less than #3 Eagles (544). Rodgers is our biggest offensive weapon. Opponents will be less likely to stack the box like last year. So now maybe we are splitting 600 touches among 3 players keeps Hall/Cook happy. 300/200

#3- JD might look to trade a RB for an additional pick in next years draft before the season. Bam or Carter… my guess MC

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Larz said:

Enough with the whining. Specifically what would you have done differently, and show how it works under the cap. 

54 man roster. Put up or 

First, I would't have paid so much for Rodgers.  I would have waited until GB started to panic.  Look, it was played very poorly by the Jets.  We should be able to agree on that and move on.  

I would have:

1) Most importantly,  have two starting caliber T's on the roster.  As of now we have one who's 38 and a player we were trying to bring in last year as a back up.

2)I would have signed OBJ, Hopkins or traded for a legitimate second WR threat

3) I would find a RB a #1 RB (Cook comes to mind)  Counting on Breece is a mistake.

I'll say it again.  I don't dislike Rodgers (I think he'll be a top 10 QB this year) I love the defense, I expect it to be top 5 

I love G. Wilson (He could eventually be the best WR in the NFL - but I expect top 10 at worst this year) If Hall is 100% he is one of the best RB's in the league.

But I hate the Tackle situation (it's mind boggling risky)

I would like a second legitimate threat at WR and would like to see support at RB if Hall isn't ready.

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Ok, this is getting a little out there now. The situation  with Cook is nothing like Bell's. I agree in hindsight that Bell was a bad fit here but Cook is still in his prime all though  nearing the end. If Cook would sign a 2 year deal, I don't  see a problem. 

I don’t believe that Cook is in his prime, I believe he is past it. I think he only has two years left, tops, and I wouldn’t want to be the team paying him millions of dollars to watch that continued decline up close. 

I could (somewhat 🤮) stomach a low guarantee, incentive based, one year deal. That’s it. Aging RBs have proven time and again that they’re not worth big money. That’s why Cook is a free agent in the first place. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

First, I would't have paid so much for Rodgers.  I would have waited until GB started to panic.  Look, it was played very poorly by the Jets.  We should be able to agree on that and move on.  

I was of the same mindset, but it was valuable having Rodgers participating 100% for OTA and mini camp.

There could easily be a scenario that Rodgers would still not be on the roster at this point in the offseason without that trade. That would have been a huge risk on JD’s part. 

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I was of the same mindset, but it was valuable having Rodgers participating 100% for OTA and mini camp.

There could easily be a scenario that Rodgers would still not be on the roster at this point in the offseason without that trade. That would have been a huge risk on JD’s part. 

JD is heading into a contract year and the team was DOA without Rodgers, after the other options were off the market.

GB is a well-run team and got what they got. The alternative of waiting by JD “for GB to panic” also carried the risk that another team had an injury and was suddenly in the QB market. JD couldn’t afford to take this into mini-camp.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Terrible idea and not one that either party should be interested in pursuing.  Everyone knows Breece is the guy once he ramps up.  You don’t want any risk of Cook b*tching about a lack of touches late in the season.  

I can see your point, but wouldn't think the Jets and Cook would have the playing time worked out before they sign on the dotted line?

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

I totally get.  And you’re right, there’s a good chance he’s still not on the roster right now.  
With that said, I think we’re probably over valuing this time. I’m not saying there aren’t positives but do they outweigh what they gave up/paying him?

2 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

I can see your point, but wouldn't think the Jets and Cook would have the playing time worked out before they sign on the dotted line?

Not necessarily.  No one really knows when Breece will start looking like Breece.  He might be such a freak he looks like last year’s Breece by Week 4.  On the other side of the coin, he could, sadly, NEVER again look like the Breece of last year (the hazards of the RB position).

It’s kind of a wide range of outcomes so projecting snap counts and usage would be a fool’s errand.  Particularly with the addition of Rodgers who will possibly want to lean towards being a a bit pass-happy until the RB position has some stability.  

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

Doesn’t mean the offer was garbage as you said.  Could mean it’s less than he’s looking for and wants to take it to the Pats, Jets or whoever.  
That he wants to hear from everyone doesn’t mean it was garbage.  

6 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

This is our 2 yr. window to make a Championship run. We need to have reliable depth at all position groups so that inevitable injuries will not derail our chances. If we’re winning, I don’t see Cook complaining that he’s only getting 12 -15 touches/game. He wants a SB ring like everyone else.

Carter, IA and Bam backing up Hall, doesn’t give me the warm fuzzy feeling I need. 

This is why we need to bring Kwon back also.

He wants money and a role and we can't guarantee either.  A heavy incentive deal when Cook is in decline is not a situation any halfway decent agent would be supportive of. 

If he just wants to win he can easily take a dirt cheap deal with the Chiefs.  His public statements to date suggests he isn't willing to play anywhere on a dirt cheap deal.