Jets signing Dalvin Cook? 6/9 Update Cook Released

4 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

What the **** are you talking about? There is so much wrong with this post, I don’t know where to start. 

1) You are clueless regarding the practice squad rules and other teams signing our contracted players. Read some more please. It’s fundamental. 

2) What does 600 touches have to do with signing Cook or not signing him? The reason we sign him is, Hall is not 100%, like most that recover from the same injury. We want a Super Bowl and we need another experienced pass catching RB for Rodgers, who utilizes RBs out of the backfield more than any QB in the league. Move aside Michael Carter. 

3) Paying a 5-6 million dollar 1 year contract with incentives isn’t going to break the bank or stop us from signing Q and completing the Rodgers restructure. Corey Davis and Denzel Mims are gone for two of the guys we drafted and signed UDFA. CJ contract will be restructured. 

The stupidity that this thread has made it to this point and morons still don’t see the advantages of signing Cook for a reasonable price, is just ridiculous. 

Why, and how are you still here?

• Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, JETS SB said:

What the **** are you talking about? There is so much wrong with this post, I don’t know where to start. 

1) You are clueless regarding the practice squad rules and other teams signing our contracted players. Read some more please. It’s fundamental. 

2) What does 600 touches have to do with signing Cook or not signing him? The reason we sign him is, Hall is not 100%, like most that recover from the same injury. We want a Super Bowl and we need another experienced pass catching RB for Rodgers, who utilizes RBs out of the backfield more than any QB in the league. Move aside Michael Carter. 

3) Paying a 5-6 million dollar 1 year contract with incentives isn’t going to break the bank or stop us from signing Q and completing the Rodgers restructure. Corey Davis and Denzel Mims are gone for two of the guys we drafted and signed UDFA. CJ contract will be restructured. 

The stupidity that this thread has made it to this point and morons still don’t see the advantages of signing Cook for a reasonable price, is just ridiculous. 

Paying $5-6M for a back clearly on the decline would be the act of a stupid moron. I advise you to not use those words when describing the board, however. It’s also not reasonable. 

I wouldn't mind having Cook but I think there's a very slim chance he is coming.  If he does come here it is for one reason only - to play with Aaron Rodgers.  I think he is pulling a Tyreek Hill and using us as leverage to get what he wants from Miami.  Plus - no tax in the Sunshine State.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, JETS SB said:

Angry Inside Out GIF by Disney Pixar

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, JETS SB said:

I get the need to have another quality pass catching RB.  I must be too dull to comprehend why he has to be experienced.  You have them cutting Davis and Mims, which means they are rolling with Wilson, Lazard, Cobb and Hardman.  At that point I think I would prefer to throw my "all-in" dollars at Hopkins.  There might be advantages to signing Cook at a reasonable deal, but we don't have any indication he would take what you are predicting and there are reasons that rational reasonable people don't think he is even worth that.  I would take him for that price, but I wouldn't be dancing about it, particularly when there might be other people around to sign for that money at WR.  You obviously have an extremely low opinion of Carter and Abanikanda.  That is fair, enough.  I can understand why, but I don't share that opinion.  Then again, what do I know?  I'm just another moron that doesn't know the game. 

Can you please enlighten us morons on the practice squad rules that will allow us to stash Knight and Abanikanda on the practice squad all season without risk of losing them?  I know they can elevate and protect a certain number each week, but I don't think that means they can stash them for the season without danger of them being poached.  I am not at all worried about losing Knight, but waiving Abanikanda would seem like a poor allocation of resources for a kid they say was top 100.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Why, and how are you still here?

Apparently he's going to die in a year or 2 and decided he'd like to make the rest of his life....and ours while he's here....be as miserable as possible.  Best just to put him on ignore at this point, because all he does is complain about other Jets fans.  Pretty sure his own brother called him a jerk in a post on here, too.

And he was doing that a decade ago, too, before taking a long break from JN.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

I wouldn't mind having Cook but I think there's a very slim chance he is coming.  If he does come here it is for one reason only - to play with Aaron Rodgers.  I think he is pulling a Tyreek Hill and using us as leverage to get what he wants from Miami.  Plus - no tax in the Sunshine State.

He was born in Miami, played college ball at Florida St., and has spent the last seven years in Minnesota winters. Miami is the only team with a reported offer, it’s just not good enough. And yeah, no income tax. For all the “smoke,” it could just as easily be the Jets happy to help Cook get overpaid - by a division rival. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, JETS SB said:

So you’ve heard of cook.  Have you heard he only gets what the line blocks for him and he’s high on the (bad) list of unemployed backs with a high rate of drops / fumbles and allowed pressures? 

I think JD wants to wait and see how Hall looks for 2 weeks, see if there is swelling, agility etc. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, slats said:

He was born in Miami, played college ball at Florida St., and has spent the last seven years in Minnesota winters. Miami is the only team with a reported offer, it’s just not good enough. And yeah, no income tax. For all the “smoke,” it could just as easily be the Jets happy to help Cook get overpaid - by a division rival. 

Seems like most of the "smoke" is team Cook suggesting he could play for the Jets. Smells exactly like an agent trying to run up the numbers.

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, JETS SB said:

Your post is just full of inaccuracies.

1) You're the one who is clueless about the Practice Squad.

All teams have to reduce rosters to 53 players before the season starts.  Before a player can be placed on the practice squad, he has to clear waivers.  Knight and Abanikanda are not likely to clear waivers. Each NFL team can protect four players on the practice squad each week and prevent them from being claimed by other teams. But this exemption is only available starting on Tuesday of each week. Every single player on the practice squad can be claimed by another team from the time a team's game ends through Tuesday each week.

2) The 600 touch discussion was based on another person's post disputing that Cook would be signed to be a complementary back to Hall. He claimed that there were 600 touches available to Jets running backs this season. I pointed out that most teams had 400-450 running back touches in 2022.  If you bothered to read the thread, the point is that Hall is the Jets #1 back and Cook would be signed to a lot of money for a limited role.  

RB is not a position that requires experience.  

3) On a team that has to find a way to fit Rodgers $100 million guarantee under the cap, signing a 28 year old RB to a $5-6 million contract is a terrible use of resources.  You may think otherwise, but my opinion is neither wrong not unusual. There is a reason Cook isn't signed, and it's not because he's being picky about his next team.  He was cut by the Vikings and is unsigned because nobody wants to pay a 28 year old RB $5-10 million when they can get the same production from a 22-23 year old for $1-2 million

The stupidity of some in this thread who just want the Jets to sign a name and who don't realize how deep the RB position is ridiculous

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

56 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Apparently he's going to die in a year or 2 and decided he'd like to make the rest of his life....and ours while he's here....be as miserable as possible.  Best just to put him on ignore at this point, because all he does is complain about other Jets fans.  Pretty sure his own brother called him a jerk in a post on here, too.

And he was doing that a decade ago, too, before taking a long break from JN.  

Wait, wut? I don’t read many threads here anymore because most of these people are pitifully unintelligible. Is this something I missed recently?

sign him on a one year deal with incentives-it is a no brainer-kills  two birds with one stone-we do not know how long it will take Hall to regain his pre  injury form-most rbs need a second year to be fully recovered and you keep him from a division rival

Joe sign the beast 

9 minutes ago, kmnj said:

sign him on a one year deal with incentives-it is a no brainer-kills  two birds with one stone-we do not know how long it will take Hall to regain his pre  injury form-most rbs need a second year to be fully recovered and you keep him from a division rival

Joe sign the beast 

AS othe4rs have mentioned much like OBJ... incentives aren't smart with a guy who thinks they're still great and wont be a starter. When Hall comes back healthy and Cook would be #2... he wont be quiet. 

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This was from a month ago or so that he mentioned this in a thread.

That he was dying or that his brother thinks he is an a$$hole?  I remember his brother saying he was a jerk or an a$$hole in his farewell thread which was fairly tame by JN farewell thread standards.  He was  former player, his best friend was an agent, the brother we are talking about now golfs with some high level agent every day.  The usual.  Hopefully the dying part is not what you meant and not true. 

16 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

AS othe4rs have mentioned much like OBJ... incentives aren't smart with a guy who thinks they're still great and wont be a starter. When Hall comes back healthy and Cook would be #2... he wont be quiet. 

cook is very productive back and played hurt with the vikings and was by all accounts a great locker room guy-we dont have any idea when Hall will be back and back to himself-I say best case scenario they tread very lightly with him the first half of the season-I would love to have Cook on the roster and I bet Arod would as well considering the games he gashed his packers d 

57 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

That he was dying or that his brother thinks he is an a$$hole?  I remember his brother saying he was a jerk or an a$$hole in his farewell thread which was fairly tame by JN farewell thread standards.  He was  former player, his best friend was an agent, the brother we are talking about now golfs with some high level agent every day.  The usual.  Hopefully the dying part is not what you meant and not true. 

Both are true from what he said.  He said he only has a couple years left to live.  He had left JN for years due to a cancer diagnosis so I assume its related.

46 minutes ago, kmnj said:

cook is very productive back and played hurt with the vikings and was by all accounts a great locker room guy-we dont have any idea when Hall will be back and back to himself-I say best case scenario they tread very lightly with him the first half of the season-I would love to have Cook on the roster and I bet Arod would as well considering the games he gashed his packers d 

I'm pro bringing in Cook for the right price. I just think there's a small chance that any chunk of his contract is incentive based. Maybe a very small bit.

And Cook does have a violent past. Seems past it since entering the league. But not exactly a wholesome fella..

But seemed to clean up his act over the last 5 years.

7 hours ago, slats said:

Paying $5-6M for a back clearly on the decline would be the act of a stupid moron. I advise you to not use those words when describing the board, however. It’s also not reasonable. 

Dalvin Cook is not clearly declining, his stats are right on par with what he's always done. His best year was a year he had the most touches 312 he's also been very steady in his YPC  around 4.5 +. If Dalvin Cook came on the cheap not only would we still run the RB by Committee but it would be a nice insurance policy if Hall were to need more time and also possibly extend the careers of both backs by not running them into the ground. I think we should go with Breece, Bam, Israel and reluctantly Carter . While I'm not looking for the Jets to Sign Cook I would not be slitting my wrists if they did at the low price. 

Bam Proved he could run well last year until the OL completely fell apart with injury, Israel has blazing speed and could very well push a guy like Carter out depending on what direction the Jets decide to take. IMHO I think Israel is going to surprise a lot of Jets fans this season 

15 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Dalvin Cook is not clearly declining, his stats are right on par with what he's always done. His best year was a year he had the most touches 312 he's also been very steady in his YPC  around 4.5 +. If Dalvin Cook came on the cheap not only would we still run the RB by Committee but it would be a nice insurance policy if Hall were to need more time and also possibly extend the careers of both backs by not running them into the ground. I think we should go with Breece, Bam, Israel and reluctantly Carter . While I'm not looking for the Jets to Sign Cook I would not be slitting my wrists if they did at the low price. 

Bam Proved he could run well last year until the OL completely fell apart with injury, Israel has blazing speed and could very well push a guy like Carter out depending on what direction the Jets decide to take. IMHO I think Israel is going to surprise a lot of Jets fans this season 

If he wasn’t in decline, he’d still be on the Vikings. It’s not like they were desperate for the money, they’re currently $17M under. He just happens to be on the cliff looking over. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Both are true from what he said.  He said he only has a couple years left to live.  He had left JN for years due to a cancer diagnosis so I assume its related.

Aw.  That sucks.  Then let him rage against us all he wants.  I was just going to hope that his wifi went out. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, slats said:

If he wasn’t in decline, he’d still be on the Vikings. It’s not like they were desperate for the money, they’re currently $17M under. He just happens to be on the cliff looking over. 

The Vikes didn't keep him because he counted 14 mil toward the cap since everyone is on a hate the RB kick they simply cut him to avoid that hit. Will be interesting to see who they replace him with and how that offense operates without him. My guess is they will decline

• More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Jethead said:

If the Jets sign Cook it means they are more than a little worried about Hall's recovery. Would be an ominous development and not a good sign.

Or, they Jets don't love Carter/Knight and want a veteran RB that can take some pressure off a RB coming off a season ending ACL tear a few months ago.

It doesn't always have to be "the sky is falling" scenario. Many players coming back from ACL tears take some time to get back to 100pct. If the Jets want to win now, they can't just assume Hall will be the same Hall week 1. 

The issue I have with Cook is that he was pretty average last year in a really good offense yet he wants to get paid like an elite RB in his prime. 

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

2 things Cook isnt doing:

1- riding the pine

2- playing for peanuts

Hence theres no shot hes a jet.

Well if he isn't playing for peanuts, he isn't coming back to the NFL. NFL teams aren't giving him what he wants given his recent production and guys like Zeke, Fournette, Hunt available for "peanuts" also. All guys that were once really good but now just big names with declining ability. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

The Vikes didn't keep him because he counted 14 mil toward the cap since everyone is on a hate the RB kick they simply cut him to avoid that hit. Will be interesting to see who they replace him with and how that offense operates without him. My guess is they will decline

ahhh - the old, everyone is on a hate the RB kick cut. GM's influenced by it far and wide this year.

9 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

No offense, Buddy, but that’s completely absurd. They have a Dalvin Cook in his prime, and instead of even asking him for a pay cut, they just cut him outright because everyone hates RBs? 

No, that’s not what happened. Cook is in decline, and his miscues catching, fumbling, or in blocking assignments are the very opposite of what make a “veteran” back useful. They made the determination that he’s not worth a roster spot at this point in his career, despite not having any clear cut replacement. That should really tell us a lot. This is a team that was 13-4 last year. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, slats said:

No offense, Buddy, but that’s completely absurd. They have a Dalvin Cook in his prime, and instead of even asking him for a pay cut, they just cut him outright because everyone hates RBs? 

No, that’s not what happened. Cook is in decline, and his miscues catching, fumbling, or in blocking assignments are the very opposite of what makes a “veteran” back useful. They made the determination that he’s not worth a roster spot at this point in his career, despite not having any clear cut replacement. That should really tell us a lot. This is a team that was 13-4 last year. 

The part that gets ignored in this, is that a declining Cook is still better than a 3rd year Carter and 2nd year Knight. And I find it hard to believe that Izzy is our #2 RB (I actually think Izzy is our 2nd best RB on the roster, but doubt he gets #2 RB touches), so not going to assume he's about the get the role as "starter" if Hall can't roll the start the season.

I for one want Cook, but at the right price. I won't deny that he's declining. But when you're a RB in 2020 had 1,920yds and 17tds... there's really nowhere to go but down.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

The part that gets ignored in this, is that a declining Cook is still better than a 3rd year Carter and 2nd year Knight. And I find it hard to believe that Izzy is our #2 RB (I actually think Izzy is our 2nd best RB on the roster, but doubt he gets #2 RB touches), so not going to assume he's about the get the role as "starter" if Hall can't roll the start the season.

I for one want Cook, but at the right price. I won't deny that he's declining. But when you're a RB in 2020 had 1,920yds and 17tds... there's really nowhere to go but down.

I don’t know how much better, but that gap isn’t worth much more than the league minimum-like deals older RBs typically receive, if that. The benefits that veteran backs are supposed to bring -expert pass pro, ball security- just aren’t there with this player. He’s a name at this point. I’m just not interested. 

I also don’t buy into the MC1 hate. The OL was a mess last year, and once he sprained his ankle in Chicago he never seemed to get that step back. The backend of the season was a team wide train wreck. He’ll enter this season healthy, and part of a solid committee. He looked promising as a rookie. He’ll get every opportunity to show which MC1 is the real one in camp. I also see no reason why Abanikanda can’t rise to the top. Happens all the time at the RB position. 

If they feel like they need to add a back, there will be a number of them to choose from after camp cut downs. No reason to lock into a declining back now who could very well be entering the last season of his career. Dating back to college, he doesn’t have much tread left at all. 

• Upvote 2
  • More Ugh 1