Let’s talk about Zach Wilson

On 8/2/2023 at 3:11 PM, elvispookie said:

The ONLY 2 things a QB needs:

1) Deciphering a defense quickly (processing speed)

2) Accuracy

Zach has neither. On top of that, he is TERRIFIED to get hit.  He does one read... the first one.. then self preservation kicks in and he runs away as fast as he can.  I do not see anything changing with him (even with Rodgers) as you cannot teach someone how to be unafraid. 

But is he better than Trevor Lawrence?

10 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Why can't the antizaxxers admit the kid is getting better ? Why is that a bad thing ?

I don't get it ..jgb, jetsfan80, TomShane ... Can you clue me in?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

How do you know he's getting better?  Haven't seen him face an NFL defense thats trying to stop him since last year. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

How do you know he's getting better?  Haven't seen him face an NFL defense thats trying to stop him since last year. 

Magical thinking. He probably hasn’t changed his underwear since Zach hit that long bomb last week.

• Haha 2

On 7/28/2023 at 9:54 PM, Larz said:

That obviously wasn’t the point

Wilson is vastly superior in talent. Don’t embarrass yourself by disputing that. White is the guy with cement feet that takes the check downs. His arm is nowhere near Zach’s. The difference between them last year was mental. Experience, confidence and reading defenses. 

Wasn’t white getting starter money this year?  

Zach has shown improvement in several key areas. 

humility, accountability and confidence 

on the field he is stepping up in the pocket, the ball is coming out on time and he is driving the ball. 

no offense, but I’ll go with Sabo on this over a hater. 🤷‍♂️

Brock Purdy cone on down

10 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

It starts with “dis” and ends with “ease”.

If JD was half the GM you claim he is he would have burned the uniforms and drafted a case of Lysol with his first pick instead of 400lbs of hostess twinkees.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Biggs said:

If JD was half the GM you claim he is he would have burned the uniforms and drafted a case of Lysol with his first pick instead of 400lbs of hostess twinkees.

We are about to have the best season weve had in 20 years and the number 1 topic on the board is bash zach wilson.  Jet fans………

• Post of the Week 2

9 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We are about to have the best season weve had in 20 years and the number 1 topic on the board is bash zach wilson.  Jet fans………

We made it to the AFC championship game twice in the last 20 years.   We haven’t made the playoffs yet.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Wilson will be a topic of discussion throughout the preseason.  He is the guy we will be watching in preseason games.  He was the starting QB the last two years.   He is a polarizing figure among Jet fans.  He will be a topic of conversation among fans.  But once the season starts, and AR is out there on the field for all of us to see every Sunday, I would imagine the ZW talk will fade away.  As long as Aaron stays healthy.

Its just another 5 weeks, Joe.  Hang in there.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

But once the season starts, and AR is out there on the field for all of us to see every Sunday, I would imagine the ZW talk will fade away.

Off the top of my head I can think of three or four posters who will never allow that happen. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, slats said:

Off the top of my head I can think of three or four posters who will never allow that happen. 

You are probably right.  But at least once the season starts, the Zach stuff will be diluted by talk of what happens on the field.

On 8/4/2023 at 4:32 AM, Dunnie said:

Are you sure that was last night ? Not sure... Just glad his arrow is pointed up at the moment .. nice bomb .. no ints ... better in the pocket ... no dirtballs ... He left some hope on the limited time he was in ... He may develop into something given the time and guidance. The talent is obvious.

I would.have preferred not to see the pirouette out of the pocket ... And he needs to develop more touch on the short stuff .. but far from terrible.

It was his only bad play and was a flashback to his playing scared last year.  He felt a bit of pressure from the left and stepped up (great!), but as soon as the brown jersey flashed in front of him he spun out of the pocket.  That d-lineman was no immediate threat and it happened just as Zach's third read was breaking open.  He's got to stop panicking. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, slats said:

They went out and got Rodgers because he was the best QB available, far better than Derek Carr can ever hope to become. It looks like he’s here for at least two years, and maybe more. Zach is under contract for two more years, and then he’s gone. The only reason he’s a part of their plans right now is because his contract is fully guaranteed and his trade value at the end of last season was dog ****. The hope/plan now is that he’s an adequate backup for the next year or two and then either JD finds some unsuspecting trade partner like Matt Rhule again, or he’ll walk in free agency and the Jets will take their comp pick - if his next contract even qualifies for one. 

I agree that Rodgers is much better than Carr, and I wanted Rodgers.  We'll see about the rest. The odds are against his staying, but things change, and people overcome huge odds every day.

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It’s just weird that you guys have concluded that the trade for and signing of Hall of Famer Aaron Rodgers is part of some five year master plan to resuscitate the career of Zach Wilson—one of the statistically worst QB busts in the history of the sport. It’s like watching your wife leave you for Jason Momoa and thinking “this will ultimately be good for our relationship.”

Zach didn't start out horribly.  His play devolved because of how he was handled.  He has a ton of talent.  Stats alone don't tell the story.

1 hour ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

We have a bunch of crepe hangers on this board...they ain't happy unless they're bitching about something.  Just can't seem to let go even if so far they're way off base with their criticism.  

It's that way on every Jets fan site I've ever been on going back to the late '90s.

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It’s just weird that you guys have concluded that the trade for and signing of Hall of Famer Aaron Rodgers is part of some five year master plan to resuscitate the career of Zach Wilson—one of the statistically worst QB busts in the history of the sport. It’s like watching your wife leave you for Jason Momoa and thinking “this will ultimately be good for our relationship.”

dead star wars GIF

My hope is that once the season starts we all.forget Zach while he continues to improve behind the scenes, developing into the QB he was labelled as coming out of school.

Whether he's with the Jets or traded to another team. ... I'd like to see the kid succeed. Hopefully, if he becomes something special the Jets don't trade him away .. but we have no control over that .... we have to trust JD and the FO.

Till then .. support the kid and enjoy the twilight to the career of one of the best to ever put on a helmet. 5 more weeks.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

Part of them are on Zach, but mostly it's on JD, Saleh and MLF

I’m not going to go point by point with you because you can make the “[Bust QB] would have been better if he went to the right environment” about literally every QB who’s busted. It’s all academic at this point, especially now that Rodgers is here for, hopefully, multiple seasons. The major problem for Zach Wilson—and all the metrics bear this out—is that he can’t function under the pressure of a pass rush, and that’s a do or die skill in the NFL. It’s fun that he’s making some throws in practice this season, but it’s meaningless to call it “improvement” until there’s a threat of Zach getting hit. We know he played in a mush college offense where he was almost never pressured, and the few times he was, he sh*t his pants. We know that he sh*ts his pants under pressure now. There is no coaching technique that turns a guy who hates contact into a guy that can handle contact. You can put a fork in this tiny dudebro from the Utah burbs. 

• Upvote 4