Let’s talk about Zach Wilson

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Check out the every throw video thread. Watch Zach’s eyes. What do you see? First-read Charlie.

I stopped after the 2nd pass, was looking left and threw right.  
Or are we not talking head, just eyes.  Not that one clip shows his eyes

• Upvote 1

Check out the every throw video thread. Watch Zach’s eyes. What do you see? First-read Charlie.
Kid can do better. .. and still needs work for sure. .. but the weather vane is pointed in the right direction. I like seeing them force him into the short game.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

I think people should look back on Steve young’s career.  He started two seasons on a bad Tampa team before going to the niners.  And then he was a spot qb for three seasons before he replaced Montana. Three super owls and a hall of fame entry later….

can history repeat itself?

No

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

From 2 games of watching Zack all I see is improvement. 

But more importantly I see a very fluid system built off the play action that is working very well. Three play action TD's in the red zone to the TE's that were made to look easy tonight as part of our vanilla preseason O. That to me is big progress!

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Jetkwondo said:

From 2 games of watching Zack all I see is improvement. 

But more importantly I see a very fluid system built off the play action that is working very well. Three play action TD's in the red zone to the TE's that were made to look easy tonight as part of our vanilla preseason O. That to me is big progress!

3 hours ago, JoeFan said:

First of all, we all , including myself, tend to see things based on our preconceived notions. If you hated the draft pick, you will point to the low yards per attempt stat.

I will state that I had some reservations about the pick, and would probably have chosen Fields. But it was a very close call. 

My belief at this point is that Knapp’s tragic death and the hiring of a rookie offensive coordinator may have ruined Zach.   Plus, no one can argue against the statement that Zach has been very skittish in the pocket, poor at seeing the field, unstable with his mechanics, and therefore inaccurate.  

However, I am encouraged by his work in the first 2 exhibition games.  First of all, with the 57 yard bomb that he completed last week, he did something I had never seen from him before: he looked off the safety.  I hadn’t noticed that live, but one of the qb gurus on YouTube showed it several times.  Maybe he *is* starting to feel more comfortable in the pocket. 

This week, we have posters bitching about him being Charlie Checkdown, but they are missing the important point.  Our offensive line has been our weak point so far.  So of *course* the play calls would mainly be for short route trees. Most importantly, Zach was *seeing* who was open and *hitting* the receiver 70 % of the time.  For 2 years, many posters have been bitching about Zach not seeing his check downs, or missing terribly when he did spot them. 

I myself have been skeptical that it was possible to teach poise in the pocket, but someone posted last week that this is done in the military all the time. So, to me, it is at least conceivable that Hackett and Rodgers  have begun to succeed at teaching Zach this essential skill. So I am hopeful that Zach will become a good quarterback.  I am open to changing my viewpoint based on new evidence. Such as *not* having seen him retreat backwards once so far this year. 

I don’t run this board, but to me it is much more interesting to discuss things based on having open minds, rather than endlessly parroting the same “cute* points over and over. The latter is boring. 

Funny Dancing GIF by FOXTRAX

Although there does seem to be some improvement from Zach I’m still not convinced as he still throws too many “just arm” balls and doesn’t step into the throws that leads to inaccurate and dangerous passes some of which can put the receivers in defenseless positions. 

I get not every pass is going to be put right on the numbers but to this point he needs to become more accurate imo 

Although there does seem to be some improvement from Zach I’m still not convinced as he still throws too many “just arm” balls and doesn’t step into the throws that leads to inaccurate and dangerous passes some of which can put the receivers in defenseless positions. 
I get not every pass is going to be put right on the numbers but to this point he needs to become more accurate imo 
I agree with this .. he needs to have consistently better ball placement.

10 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Let’s start with those saying he sucked today.  Then those who said yeah he played well but his ceiling is backup QB.  Onto people who are selling he was check down Charlie.  Or brought up YPA

Pretty much the usual group that will dissect him to death to convince us that a good outing wasn’t.  

Thinking someone played poorly (or not well) isn’t “furious.”

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Thinking someone played poorly (or not well) isn’t “furious.”

Claiming someone who clearly played well didn’t play well, looking for reasons he didn’t  play well siting nonsense as why he didn’t, that’s why they sound furious.   Refusing to admit he looks good, looks different sounds furious.  

When you’re part of the fanbase that sees improvement and wants to see him continue to get better and you read the posts from the same group you’d see it pretty clearly.  

IMG_3224.thumb.jpeg.1c17131bd3c64c898325559cfb3d9c4f.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, jgb said:

I’m talking like 80-90% of the passes

He was calmly going through progressions.  They talked about it during the game.  You could clearly see it.  Why is it even important, he played well and that’s a start.  Complaining he didn’t move his eyes, in a game that had not one shot of his eyes, is not changing that  

I wouldn't claim Zach outplayed Boyle yesterday it was different circumstances sometimes different players. Boyle threw a bad pick but after that looked ok and moved the offense probably better than Zach did in the first half. Boyle had more third stringers but opposed Carolina's third stringers. 

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I wouldn't claim Zach outplayed Boyle yesterday it was different circumstances sometimes different players. Boyle threw a bad pick but after that looked ok and moved the offense probably better than Zach did in the first half. Boyle had more third stringers but opposed Carolina's third stringers. 

Boyle playing well or not in your eyes has absolutely nothing to do with how Zach played.  

19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He was calmly going through progressions.  They talked about it during the game.  You could clearly see it.  Why is it even important, he played well and that’s a start.  Complaining he didn’t move his eyes, in a game that had not one shot of his eyes, is not changing that  

I don’t see it. The eyes… they never lie, Chico. By the way the eyes are attached to this thing called the head which is attached to this thing called the neck. It rarely turned. One read Charlie confirmed.

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

I don’t see it. The eyes… they never lie, Chico. By the way the eyes are attached to this thing called the head which is attached to this thing called the neck. It rarely turned. One read Charlie confirmed.

The eyes never lie?  The eyes also see what they want to see.  Hanging onto his head never or rarely turned is wrong.  To repeat it, it’s just looking for something, anything to complain about.  
The eyes, reading posts like this, see it clearly enough.   The haters refuse to admit he’s playing better

35 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Claiming someone who clearly played well didn’t play well, looking for reasons he didn’t  play well siting nonsense as why he didn’t, that’s why they sound furious.   Refusing to admit he looks good, looks different sounds furious.  

When you’re part of the fanbase that sees improvement and wants to see him continue to get better and you read the posts from the same group you’d see it pretty clearly.  

IMG_3224.thumb.jpeg.1c17131bd3c64c898325559cfb3d9c4f.jpeg

Yay he completed a couple screens and designed passes to the first read flat facing the panthers backups

• Post of the Week 1

The eyes never lie?  The eyes also see what they want to see.  Hanging onto his head never or rarely turned is wrong.  To repeat it, it’s just looking for something, anything to complain about.  
The eyes, reading posts like this, see it clearly enough.   The haters refuse to admit he’s playing better

They just disagree ... I'd prefer they pull for the kid, but you can't blame them .. he's got to do it on the field against more than backups .. Zach was put out there in a Kobayashi Maru test his first two years and proved he was not Captain Kirk ( Tom Brady in football terms). ... He will get another shot .. I hope it is with the Jets ... But if not it will be slightly amusing to see him succeed wherever he ends up.

The arrow is pointing straight up for this kid .. he has immense arm talent ... If he can improve his ball placement (not easy to do) he has a blindingly bright future.

I don't blame guys for being skeptical ... It's the obviously blindered POV that is simply lame and indicates a lack of integrity at best, and an insecurity issue at worst.