NY Jets Sign Dalvin Cook

11 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

He's still got it. He is going to prove in Denver. Mark my words big day for him. He won't be running into a brick wall and actually show case his ability.

I think you are going to like him after Sunday. 

It’s @ Denver.  Dude will be out of breath by the time he reaches the LOS.  Assuming he gets that far.  

• Haha 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh look we were right about this one.  Huh, who'd have thought.

@BornJetsFan1983 has taken his lumps on this one so I think they only one left is @Pac.  Come take your L.

Cook has been a major disappointment for me. I thought for sure he would have shown something by now. I'm ready to see Izzy.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Cook had a good run yesterday.  He's slowly working his way back.  

Joe Douglas never should have signed him if he wasn't in good shape to start the season. I thought the whole point of signing Cook was to use him early in the season while Breece was eased back into his normal workload at running back.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Joe Douglas never should have signed him if he wasn't in good shape to start the season. I thought the whole point of signing Cook was to use him early in the season while Breece was eased back into his normal workload at running back.

The whole point was to spend Woody's money for making JD trade for Rodgers. 

He did tear off  a big 9 yard scamper yesterday-we were shocked, remember what Woody said to Izzy after he was drafted? How excited he was to see him run this year? What I believe is going to happen is Dalvin Cook is going to be put out there as a possible trade bait guy to try and recoup a draft pick or two to a desperate team at the deadline

• Haha 1

Just now, playtowinthegame said:

This is the part I have trouble getting past, too.

I wasn't thrilled with the idea in the first place, but ok he's a name and with Breece's injury sure I get the rationalization. But to see that Breece was already running at 80-90% full speed on the day Cook was signed, and knowing Cook wasn't in game shape and 100% recovered from his own surgery himself on that day, made this really hard to justify.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I wasn't thrilled with the idea in the first place, but ok he's a name and with Breece's injury sure I get the rationalization. But to see that Breece was already running at 80-90% full speed on the day Cook was signed, and knowing Cook wasn't in game shape and 100% recovered from his own surgery himself on that day, made this really hard to justify.

Or we were all wrong and Cook was brought in case… yeah, nobody wants to even read that. 

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Rodgers wanted him.

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

AR has to be pissed that he donated 35 million and JD wasted 7 already, 

7 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

He did tear off  a big 9 yard scamper yesterday-we were shocked, remember what Woody said to Izzy after he was drafted? How excited he was to see him run this year? What I believe is going to happen is Dalvin Cook is going to be put out there as a possible trade bait guy to try and recoup a draft pick or two to a desperate team at the deadline

I think that's going to be hard to do, but yeah I think they're hoping he tears one off before the deadline (aside from the obvious of wanting to see it happen just to help win that game). 

I don't know what kind of pick they'd get for him, but imagine it'd be a decision of eating more of his pay in exchange for a higher pick, or taking a really low pick just to get someone else to eat his salary.

Either way they're going to need a contender to get desperate, like you said. That means not just a starter injury, but seeing the backup fall on his face in initial action. If teams get good production out of their RB2, though, it makes that more difficult with these last trade-eligible weeks slipping by.

Even with a potential trade partner materializing, none of it's going to happen if he's still blindly plodding into defenders while everyone/anyone else has 2-3x his ypc average behind the same line with the same QB and the same OC calling plays against the same opponents. 

10 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Rodgers wanted him.

Meh, Rodgers also "wanted" OBJ and they didn't sign him.

I get giving him a bit of that with former Packers teammates, even if so far none have been good signings, but even Rodgers said he just wanted to be in on the process & make his voice heard, not that they have to listen to it.

He was locked in for 2 years, what was he going to do, refuse to play if they didn't sign an injured Dalvin Cook? 

If he's that sore about it with the $ giveback, he could've done that in April, well ahead of any June 1 cuts or other trades (or potential trades) transpired. We all welcomed it, as it's really unprecedented, but it's not like 2023's FA period was in full force when he did it on July 31st and he's been around the league long enough to know that. 

I half think it was Breece insurance, and half think they were worried he'd have signed with Miami, and that Rodgers's desires were a distant 3rd in that calculation.

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I get giving him a bit of that with former Packers teammates, even if so far none have been good signings, but even Rodgers said he just wanted to be in on the process & make his voice heard, not that they have to listen to it.

He was locked in for 2 years, what was he going to do, refuse to play if they didn't sign an injured Dalvin Cook? 

If he's that sore about it with the $ giveback, he could've done that in April, well ahead of any June 1 cuts or other trades (or potential trades) transpired. We all welcomed it, as it's really unprecedented, but it's not like 2023's FA period was in full force when he did it on July 31st and he's been around the league long enough to know that. 

I half think it was Breece insurance, and half think they were worried he'd have signed with Miami, and that Rodgers's desires were a distant 3rd in that calculation.

Hard to believe Douglas didn't know Cook couldn't spell Breece if you spotted him Breece.  

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Cook had a good run yesterday.  He's slowly working his way back.  

43 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

We all know spending ~ $7M on a RB who needs 5+ weeks to "get going" is a smart financial decision.

34 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

no one is trading for Dalvin Cook.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh look we were right about this one.  Huh, who'd have thought.

@BornJetsFan1983 has taken his lumps on this one so I think they only one left is @Pac.  Come take your L.

i still can't beleive you guys were right about cook. I mean he could turn it around still, zach seems to have, but honestly it does look like me and and Joe Douglas was wrong about cook, he has not performed. He had the opportunty to shine and did not.

Now do you think he can somehow pull him self out of this funk and contribute? well I guess it is possible but it does not seem likely. He just seem like a very expensive breather for Brecce.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

i dont think they anticipated him playing this poorly. THere is still some hope, perhaps he is still not feeloing 100%, but he is not going anywhere so we are going to see him get his shot a redemption every week. I have to believe he is more talented that Carter even at this stage, but man it is def just hope on my part. What the tape says is that he is just not a factor 

2 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

i still can't beleive you guys were right about cook.

Anyone who looked at the numbers and how he looked late last year could see it coming.  Too many here just put their heads in the sand about it.

RB is a young man’s position, and once you START to look toast, it’s best to avoid.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

i dont think they anticipated him playing this poorly. THere is still some hope, perhaps he is still not feeloing 100%, but he is not going anywhere so we are going to see him get his shot a redemption every week. I have to believe he is more talented that Carter even at this stage, but man it is def just hope on my part. What the tape says is that he is just not a factor 

They should just cut him and save the cap space, let Izzy take those carries.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I wanted him to sign in Miami, and said so at the time. The fish would be a worse team with him just like we are. We probably wouldn’t know who Achane was just like we don’t know who Abanikanda is now. It was an infuriating signing because he was obviously in decline. 

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I don't think that's a matter of contention. Of course they didn't.

It also means they looked at his stats more than his tape. How many of those runs were because Cook is Cook, vs how many would've been big gainers with anybody there who can run faster than a 4.6 40? How many tackles was he breaking? How many cuts did he make to avoid tackles instead of taking what the OL gave him and little not nothing more?

He didn't become a RB with worse vision after another year of experience.

This is the result of ignorance, scouting players like high school dorks pick guys for their fantasy football teams. 

42 minutes ago, slats said:

I wanted him to sign in Miami, and said so at the time. The fish would be a worse team with him just like we are. We probably wouldn’t know who Achane was just like we don’t know who Abanikanda is now. It was an infuriating signing because he was obviously in decline. 

It's almost as though this franchise didn't just learn the lesson of Le'Veon Bell so recently. 

RBs don't get better with age & some 8000 rushing/receiving yards into their NFL careers. At best they find themselves in situations that hide their inadequacies, if they can even still take the punishment.  

You can pick up veteran RBs to see if they have one more year of use or better, but you don't guarantee them jack squat and if that's a condition of signing them you just pass and let someone else make that mistake. 

• Post of the Week 1

22 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't think that's a matter of contention. Of course they didn't.

It also means they looked at his stats more than his tape. How many of those runs were because Cook is Cook, vs how many would've been big gainers with anybody there who can run faster than a 4.6 40? How many tackles was he breaking? How many cuts did he make to avoid tackles instead of taking what the OL gave him and little not nothing more?

He didn't become a RB with worse vision after another year of experience.

This is the result of ignorance, scouting players like high school dorks pick guys for their fantasy football teams. 

well that is the thing, if you looked at his actualy play last year it looked alot more like it was cook being cook that anything else. I mean i guess it is subjective but you can pull up clips still probably but if you look at his highlight it certianly seems like he still has got it. This year it does not. I thought it was just poor playcalling, but denver kind of confimed what others had said. I really hope he is more than just a breather for Hall this season but my limited view, he didnt look good, he looked average nothing special. He hit holes that were there and had one good rrun but didnt have the push or break away speed. 

Huge contrast with hall that looks so good,

Cook has brought nothing that Carter, Izzy and Bam couldn't have. 
Another WTF JD moment.
It was a sh*t in the dark .. dude looked washed the year before .. the majority of the board were all in with taking a chance.... can't whine about it for not working out ... was a risky proposition from the start.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Dunnie said:

It was a sh*t in the dark .. dude looked washed the year before .. the majority of the board were all in with taking a chance.... can't whine about it for not working out ... was a risky proposition from the start.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I didn't want him. Montgomery was the guy to make an offer to.