Wilson's Game Film

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I agreed with almost all of the runs, but I think you need to take a shot into the endzone on at least one play. Let Zach throw a fade to Garrett Wilson (or even Lazard if he had a favorable matchup)

When it was first and 10 with 2:06 left and the Bills had all their timeouts? Or, when it was second and 14 with 2:00 left and the Bills having all of their timeouts? I just do not see where in the sequence of plays a pass to endzone made any sense. 

12 hours ago, RevisIsland610 said:

You want him to throw a ton against Dallas? Are you serious? That defense and pass rush is very very good. The game plan is going to be run heavy with a mix of intermediate/short passes and screens mixed in. 

Right. This would be the game plan with Rodgers back there too. Not going to go the other way with the lesser thrower.

• Upvote 1

I’m not suggesting Zach doesn’t still stink but to say he was terrible that game is not fair. Bills have been a Super Bowl favorite for the past 3 years. With all that emotion after the Rodgers injury, 0 practice time with 1st team, against that defense, for Zach to hold it together and make enough key throws to put them in position to win that game was impressive to me. 

Context: the bar is low for Zach and “just enough” won’t cut it long term, so I get everyone’s points (before you come at me). That said, to dismiss his performance against the bills as terrible and not acknowledge he made any strides is just simply unfair.

19 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Yeah! Because it is so rare for today's WRs to make circus catches that help their QB's stats.

You'd have a point if it wasn't a pattern for Jets WRs paired with Wilson.  Seems to be a requirement far more often for Wilson's receivers than for any other QB in the league.  Hence why his On Target % was the lowest in the league and his Bad Throw % was the highest/worst in 2022.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

So avoid the substance and try to play semantic games. 

Taking Notes Ryan The Office GIF by MOODMAN

Semantic games?  Semantics really matter.... like a lot

Like for example,  the statement one is not willing to debate versus it being confused with a counterpoint  which is what you do in a debate. 

3 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

I’m not suggesting Zach doesn’t still stink but to say he was terrible that game is not fair. Bills have been a Super Bowl favorite for the past 3 years. With all that emotion after the Rodgers injury, 0 practice time with 1st team, against that defense, for Zach to hold it together and make enough key throws to put them in position to win that game was impressive to me. 

Context: the bar is low for Zach and “just enough” won’t cut it long term, so I get everyone’s points (before you come at me). That said, to dismiss his performance against the bills as terrible and not acknowledge he made any strides is just simply unfair.

In my case, I’m just pissed we have to go through this ZW experience again. I thought it was done and finished after last year. 

I don’t understand how — after the games vs NE, Jax, etc, etc — the front office thought it was acceptable to ever play him again. It’s mind boggling. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PorP said:

Semantic games?  Semantics really matter.... like a lot

Like for example,  the statement one is not willing to debate versus it being confused with a counterpoint  which is what you do in a debate. 

You already made your concession by avoidance. Too late on this one. You can have that last word since I have the point, which is all I care about.

20 hours ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

I've been depressed since Rodgers went down. I highly doubted Zach would ever be an NFL QB, and thought the only chance he had was to sit behind Aaron for a couple/few years. So when he played Monday, my mental filter viewed everything he did negatively. 

I just watched "Zach Wilson EVERY THROW - Week 1 - New York Jets vs Buffalo Bills Highlights" on YouTube. I'm trying to self-help and take myself off suicide watch, so here are some takeaways. I promise I am trying to positively slant everything towards ZW (thank you Robert S) as much as I can: 

1. The pick was inexcusable. Middle of the field stare down. However, I assume Hackett is going to emphasize "stay away from the middle of the field" and scream at him about the stare downs. It's been well documented how Rodgers doesn't throw picks b/c he stays away from the middle of the field. Rodgers throws lots of screens, check down, quick passes to the edges, and then hits long go routes that aren't interception prone. There's no secret to it. Zach, stay away from the middle, period. The stare down speaks to Zach not being able to mentally handle the game. He did not seem to continue that crap all game long.

2. He did not compound issues after the pick.

3. He had one inexcusable dirt ball. Glad it wasn't more.

4. I assume at all times he is so scared and in the back of his head at all times, but if I'm being honest after looking at the film, he looked more comfortable. 

5. The easy throws and check downs looked okay.

6. The big run backwards avoided a sack, and I hate the running backwards even worse than Peyton.

7. The 3rd down throw to GW to set up the touchdown was great. 

8. Multiple good throws on time.

9. Touchdown to GW was all GW. Not where the ball should have been, but he gave his playmaker a chance. 

10. The offense was set for Aaron. Game prep was with Aaron in mind. Dallas D is legit, but all prep this week revolves around Zach. Nathaniel has had critics, but I think it's night and day between him and MLF in terms of now having more competence with the OC.

11. The o line was not great.

All this is to say, I might actually watch the game Sunday. 

Great write up, after rewatching the condensed game and all 22, I was actually surprised at how well Zach played... Now all the haters won't watch and say he sucks... 

But I was highly encouraged by his performance with no prep and the way Hackett switched the game plan at halftime... 

Now hopefully Hackett let's Zach off the leash sometimes so that team's don't stack the box... 

But even that wild run around for 25 yards in the backfield was impressive because the screen was completely sniffed out and old Zach would have thrown a bad pick there instead he ran out of trouble and threw it away... 

He had a couple terrible plays but overall he did very well considering where he was... Let's just hope he can stack on that and keep having good games. 

I thought it was going to show a lot of bad Zach and it didn't. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

15 minutes ago, jgb said:

You already made your concession by avoidance. Too late on this one. You can have that last word since I have the point, which is all I care about.

Not sure what is to concede?  I made no statement for or against him sucking Sunday. So why would I argue? I've been like super duper clear IDK. That I will see Sunday if there is improvement. 

Also been really clear that improvement does not necessarily mean good. 

• Thumb Down 1

11 minutes ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Great write up, after rewatching the condensed game and all 22, I was actually surprised at how well Zach played... Now all the haters won't watch and say he sucks... 

But I was highly encouraged by his performance with no prep and the way Hackett switched the game plan at halftime... 

Now hopefully Hackett let's Zach off the leash sometimes so that team's don't stack the box... 

But even that wild run around for 25 yards in the backfield was impressive because the screen was completely sniffed out and old Zach would have thrown a bad pick there instead he ran out of trouble and threw it away... 

He had a couple terrible plays but overall he did very well considering where he was... Let's just hope he can stack on that and keep having good games. 

I thought it was going to show a lot of bad Zach and it didn't. 

Player Dont Be Hatin GIF by Jamie Kennedy

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Fourth down (snapped at 2:49 with 14 seconds on the play clock - the only time Zach called for the ball with more than 1 second left) Zach for 1.

Those kind of situational brain farts drive me crazy. Yeah, the 2 min. break was coming anyway, but if McDermott played it right , Allen would have had more time on the clock.

We dodged a bullet.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, DireJet said:

In my case, I’m just pissed we have to go through this ZW experience again. I thought it was done and finished after last year. 

I don’t understand how — after the games vs NE, Jax, etc, etc — the front office thought it was acceptable to ever play him again. It’s mind boggling. 

Many use the $$ excuse. Some are just too stubborn to admit their mistakes. 9ers had no issue moving on for Lance. They were comfortable with their starter, brought in a better backup than Lance. And they gave up a lot to get him, so that took balls. Jets could have done the same as 9ers. After admitting Zach was no where near good enough to start, bring a real capable backup to compete with Zach for 2. It wouldn’t have been hard to find someone who would beat him out. But they brought in a low caliber backup like Boyle, who even looked better in preseason. This is a similar scheme as last yr, two weak backups in order to protect zach. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

He uses his legs often, they just need to get them moving forward instead of backwards.

I agree though his latest was designed for him to backpedal for a screen to Carter which Buffalo sniffed out and then those 3 defenders let loose to overshoot the screen were suddenly right  in his face which he managed to  escape. All how you look at it

6 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Many use the $$ excuse. Some are just too stubborn to admit their mistakes. 9ers had no issue moving on for Lance. They were comfortable with their starter, brought in a better backup than Lance. And they gave up a lot to get him, so that took balls. Jets could have done the same as 9ers. After admitting Zach was no where near good enough to start, bring a real capable backup to compete with Zach for 2. It wouldn’t have been hard to find someone who would beat him out. But they brought in a low caliber backup like Boyle, who even looked better in preseason. This is a similar scheme as last yr, two weak backups in order to protect zach. 

Did you watch the game on Sunday... Zach won the game, whether you hate him or not... I encourage all you haters to re-watch the game.. 

Was he a top tier QB... Hell no... He did more this game then he did all last year... 

He keeps playing like he did on Sunday and they are going to win a lot of games

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetkwondo said:

I agree though his latest was designed for him to backpedal for a screen to Carter which Buffalo sniffed out and then those 3 defenders let loose to overshoot the screen were suddenly right  in his face which he managed to  escape. All how you look at it

Yeah old Zach would have thrown it and it would have been a pick 6... Instead he throws it out of bounds to preserve the FG

14 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

When you're all-in to deliver a ring to a beleaguered and downtrodden fan base, and to get yourself a fat contract extension, you should not prioritise the confidence of your busted QB2 over what is best for the team in the here-and-now.

• Post of the Week 1

Did you watch the game on Sunday... Zach won the game, whether you hate him or not... I encourage all you haters to re-watch the game.. 
Was he a top tier QB... Hell no... He did more this game then he did all last year... 
I hope last Monday's game was a stepping stone.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I hope last Monday's game was a stepping stone.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

The one encouraging sign -- with the caveat of a small sample size and that Zach wasn't prepared to play -- is that he seemed to understand that hero ball is not the recipe for success with such a strong team around him.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Those kind of situational brain farts drive me crazy. Yeah, the 2 min. break was coming anyway, but if McDermott played it right , Allen would have had more time on the clock.

We dodged a bullet.

Totally agree. If he used timeouts before the 2:00 minute warning, there would have been more than enough time for a TD drive.

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Yeah! Because it is so rare for today's WRs to make circus catches that help their QB's stats.

Of course.  It’s the league today.  

Single coverage on your superstar, Uber talented, ROY WR in the end zone and the QB threw it up to him and said GW make a play.   And that’s exactly what he did.  
That’s todays NFL. 
Zach should throw the ball to Wilson every time he’s out wide (not worried about bad things happening in the middle of the field) and in single coverage.  Covered or not. 

23 minutes ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Here we go again … LOL

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Easy there buddy. I don’t hate Zach. No he definitely didn’t WIN the game for the Jets. We got a big break on special teams to win the game. The defense was amazing, the running game carried the O. Breece hall was unbelievable. Garrett Wilson turned a bad throw, possible INT in end zone, in a TD. He first had to play like Sauce and deflect the ball from the corner, deflect to himself, then make the catch on his back. Any other WR that’s not a TD, and most likely a INT. It’s no wonder why they wouldn’t let Zach throw the ball unless it was absolutely needed. They do not trust him. He did not win the game lol. That is a joke. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Of course.  It’s the league today.  

Single coverage on your superstar, Uber talented, ROY WR in the end zone and the QB threw it up to him and said GW make a play.   And that’s exactly what he did.  
That’s todays NFL. 
Zach should throw the ball to Wilson every time he’s out wide (not worried about bad things happening in the middle of the field) and in single coverage.  Covered or not. 

As bad as the throw as it was, it was catchable - since it was in fact caught. 2022 Zach Wilson throws that ball over everyone's head or so low that the Bills defender who moved into the space between Zach and Garret picks it off and returns it for a TD. 

IMG_9560.thumb.jpg.bdac622bdeb436d4acb80e9754487534.jpg

2 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Easy there buddy. I don’t hate Zach. No he definitely didn’t WIN the game for the Jets. We got a big break on special teams to win the game. The defense was amazing, the running game carried the O. Breece hall was unbelievable. Garrett Wilson turned a bad throw, possible INT in end zone, in a TD. He first had to play like Sauce and deflect the ball from the corner, deflect to himself, then make the catch on his back. Any other WR that’s not a TD, and most likely a INT. It’s no wonder why they wouldn’t let Zach throw the ball unless it was absolutely needed. They do not trust him. He did not win the game lol. That is a joke. 

He so clearly did NOT win the game that it’s barely even worth debating. Team wouldn’t even let him throw the ball for most of the game. LOL. 

• Upvote 2

I'm an anti-Zach guy at this point - still want them to trade for someone immediately b/c I don't believe in him. Like others have said though, this was an OK performance against a good D in a VERY hard situation.

He deserves credit for composing himself after the INT. I don't see as many "strides" as other people. Truthfully this game reminded me of the Pittsburgh/Denver/Miami game last year. A few solid throws, one or two bone headed mistakes, and mostly a lot of meh. 

I think Hackett is a major improvement over MLF just from an emotional perspective. Zach just seems like a guy who needs support and not to feel like he is on an island. Its one of the reasons I think its so important AR stays involved with this team and is on the sidelines whenever possible. 

One adjustment that just has to happen is they cannot run a dink and dunk/conservative passing offense. Dinking and dunking makes Zach throw more tighter window throws and relies on him to anticipate and fit the ball in a tight window. It also allows the D to press the LOS which hurts the run game. 

GW is a legit deep threat w/ amazing jump ball ability. Hardman has deep threat speed. Lazard has a big body and while he isn't a burner has done well w/ Rodgers on go balls. They need to make Dallas at least consider the possibility they will test them deep. They need to make them respect play action. 

We all saw at the end of the game when we took the lead that Buffalo just stacked the box and GW was out wide w/o safety help. I get it. Josh Allen was collapsing and our D was cruising so just take the FG, but you can't rely on Dak turning the ball over four times. Rodgers had the ability to check to a deep ball - you have to give Zach the same opportunity. If Dallas can just put eight guys in the box b/c they know we won't test them down the field our run game will be stressed which just puts more pressure on Zach on third and long situations. 

Plus if he can't throw the ball downfield lets just find out ASAP so we can make a trade for a competent QB. Outside of our D forcing multiple turnovers a game + special teams excellence we're going to need to do better than 13 offensive points (7 of which were on a short field after the fumble). 

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

When it was first and 10 with 2:06 left and the Bills had all their timeouts? Or, when it was second and 14 with 2:00 left and the Bills having all of their timeouts? I just do not see where in the sequence of plays a pass to endzone made any sense. 

With a reliable kicker and the d playing lights out and the running game clicking there was no way they were putting the game in Wilson’s hands there.  And it was the correct decision.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

I'm an anti-Zach guy at this point - still want them to trade for someone immediately b/c I don't believe in him. Like others have said though, this was an OK performance against a good D in a VERY hard situation.

He deserves credit for composing himself after the INT. I don't see as many "strides" as other people. Truthfully this game reminded me of the Pittsburgh/Denver/Miami game last year. A few solid throws, one or two bone headed mistakes, and mostly a lot of meh. 

I think Hackett is a major improvement over MLF just from an emotional perspective. Zach just seems like a guy who needs support and not to feel like he is on an island. Its one of the reasons I think its so important AR stays involved with this team and is on the sidelines whenever possible. 

One adjustment that just has to happen is they cannot run a dink and dunk/conservative passing offense. Dinking and dunking makes Zach throw more tighter window throws and relies on him to anticipate and fit the ball in a tight window. It also allows the D to press the LOS which hurts the run game. 

GW is a legit deep threat w/ amazing jump ball ability. Hardman has deep threat speed. Lazard has a big body and while he isn't a burner has done well w/ Rodgers on go balls. They need to make Dallas at least consider the possibility they will test them deep. They need to make them respect play action. 

We all saw at the end of the game when we took the lead that Buffalo just stacked the box and GW was out wide w/o safety help. I get it. Josh Allen was collapsing and our D was cruising so just take the FG, but you can't rely on Dak turning the ball over four times. Rodgers had the ability to check to a deep ball - you have to give Zach the same opportunity. If Dallas can just put eight guys in the box b/c they know we won't test them down the field our run game will be stressed which just puts more pressure on Zach on third and long situations. 

Plus if he can't throw the ball downfield lets just find out ASAP so we can make a trade for a competent QB. Outside of our D forcing multiple turnovers a game + special teams excellence we're going to need to do better than 13 offensive points (7 of which were on a short field after the fumble). 

With a week to plan you have to assume they’ll have some bombs to throw in there to keep the secondary honest.  But they’re going to need those shorter routes and have wilson get rid of the ball quickly to move the chains.  

• Upvote 1