Was CFP wrong for leaving out FSU?

It’s a television product owned by ESPN and they didn’t think putting FSU in was good for their TV product. Thats all there is to it.

The whole reason the “injury” stuff was written in to their by laws was for this exact scenario — having an out to snub a team that looked non-competitive without their star player. They didn’t want a snoozer of a semi final like the ACC title game.

If Jordan Travis is healthy and they score 45 in the ACC Title they’re in.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

It’s a television product owned by ESPN and they didn’t think putting FSU in was good for their TV product. Thats all there is to it.

The whole reason the “injury” stuff was written in to their by laws was for this exact scenario — having an out to snub a team that looked non-competitive without their star player. They didn’t want a snoozer of a semi final like the ACC title game.

Yup.  The Committee is all about putting together what they think will be good matchups for TV.  Had Bama not beaten Auburn two weeks ago, the Dawgs probably would have made it ahead of FSU.  I think FSU should have been in. They earned a chance to play for a Championship.  But they are not compelling enough TV.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yup.  The Committee is all about putting together what they think will be good matchups for TV.  Had Bama not beaten Auburn two weeks ago, the Dawgs probably would have made it ahead of FSU.  I think FSU should have been in. They earned a chance to play for a Championship.  But they are not compelling enough TV.

This is likely true. Bias though. I personally love watching the pac-12. I've never watched as much college football as I have this year. And the reason is because of the pac-12. Oregon was a lot of fun to watch. Colorado early in the season had my attention. Love watching Sanders play QB. The Big 12 is fun to watch also.

Didn't watch much of the ACC and SEC though. 

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Agreed. There was some talk of “the SEC can’t be left out” but I don’t even think that was the real factor. Despite all the crowing from FSU fans and Florida politicians the committee has actually been very transparent about their decision making process and it was all about Florida State simply not being competitive enough with the backup QBs to warrant a spot.

They phrase it under the “best four” narrative but they basically admitted “we just don’t think they can win” (i.e. we think they’ll get their ass kicked and ruin out semifinal.)

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

They phrase it under the “best four” narrative but they basically admitted “we just don’t think they can win” (i.e. we think they’ll get their ass kicked and ruin out semifinal.)

The problem I have with it is that a bunch of guys in a Conference Room decide that FSU is not good enough to win.  They beat everyone they played this year.  They earned a chance to prove it on the field.  I don't buy into this narrative that they can't win.  I would love to see the FSU defense going up against a UW or Mich and see if that D can keep them in an ugly game.  I really think the problem is the Committee does not want an ugly game.  I think FSU can play with these top 4 teams, they just can't play in the style that is entertaining enough for the suits in the Conference Room. 

So they get screwed and now play us in what is little more than an exhibition.

8 hours ago, bitonti said:

yes yes and FSU lost their star QB 

I get it you're a fan, they are your team or whatever

but no one except FSU fans wants to watch Tate Rodemaker or Brock Quinn in the CFB playoff 

you get that part, right? 

Yes it's un fair yes the committee screwed them. That's because they lost their only chance of being competitive on offense 

beating a 5-7 Gators doesn't exactly prove Tate Rodemaker's any good 

I'm not so sure the committee screwed them. It's right in the CFP rules that the committee can take injuries into account for competitiveness and interest. I'm not sure what the conferences thought that means when they agreed to it but it's a thing. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

100% correct.

Also part of why college football (and college sports in general) is just the worst, most corrupt, least fair sporting league(s) there is.

Entire system needs torn down and burned to the ground IMO, ended entirely as a thing.  Colleges and Unis are for education, no Pro sports entertainment products.  Club teams, fine, TV deals and Pro-level sports, hell no. 

Minor leagues would do everything college sorts does better, fairer, and with a vastly better/fairer structure.

3 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

A few years ago or the way time passes it may have been a decade ago. Barrett from OSU was knocked out for the year. Luckily for OSU they weren't punished and Cardale Jones came in and had a hack of a postseason run. Going by the way they did FSU, that same OSU team would of had a championship opportunity taken away from them due to a such a subjective ruling by the current committee. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

A few years ago or the way time passes it may have been a decade ago. Barrett from OSU was knocked out for the year. Luckily for OSU they weren't punished and Cardale Jones came in and had a hack of a postseason run. Going by the way they did FSU, that same OSU team would of had a championship opportunity taken away from them due to a such a subjective ruling by the current committee. 

If Glenn did what Cardale did who knows. Jones and OSU hung 59 on Wisconsin the night before committee selections. That OSU team was also stacked from top to bottom with high draft picks, Bosa, Elliot, even the immortal Darron Lee...etc.

13 hours ago, Lith said:

The problem I have with it is that a bunch of guys in a Conference Room decide that FSU is not good enough to win.  They beat everyone they played this year.  They earned a chance to prove it on the field.  I don't buy into this narrative that they can't win.  I would love to see the FSU defense going up against a UW or Mich and see if that D can keep them in an ugly game.  I really think the problem is the Committee does not want an ugly game.  I think FSU can play with these top 4 teams, they just can't play in the style that is entertaining enough for the suits in the Conference Room. 

So they get screwed and now play us in what is little more than an exhibition.

Oh I agree. I’m just pointing out that I think they’ve been transparent about their decision making process and why FSU was left out. The “process” sucks.

13 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

A few years ago or the way time passes it may have been a decade ago. Barrett from OSU was knocked out for the year. Luckily for OSU they weren't punished and Cardale Jones came in and had a hack of a postseason run. Going by the way they did FSU, that same OSU team would have had a championship opportunity taken away from them due to a such a subjective ruling by the current committee. 

Cardale hung 59 points on Wisconsin. FSU couldn’t move the ball.

Not saying FSU didn’t deserve to make it I think they clearly did, but there’s the difference.

On 12/16/2023 at 7:51 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

If Glenn did what Cardale did who knows. Jones and OSU hung 59 on Wisconsin the night before committee selections. That OSU team was also stacked from top to bottom with high draft picks, Bosa, Elliot, even the immortal Darron Lee...etc.

Tate Rodemaker is the backup and the one who would have started in the college football playoffs. His capability isn't a reflection of what Freshman Brock Glenn displayed vs Louisville. OSU team was indeed stacked and so are the FSU team this year from a college prospective. They have the number 2 ranked RB and WR according to Kiper. They have DE who's ranked top 15. There DT and pretty much their entire Defense is rising up the rankings. But unlike OSU they won't get that chance to showcase what they're about.

On 12/16/2023 at 4:16 PM, Ghost420 said:

Name 1 out of the 4 teams in the playoffs FSU is currently better then. You can't. So no they didn't get it wrong. When they get whooped by Georgia it'll make more sense. 

You mean like the chances of the Jets beating the Eagles? Or the chances of the Seahawks beating the Eagles? I can go down the list of tons of upsets that happened in CFB over the years. Point is, you play the game to win or lose. You can't say "well they wouldn't have beaten anybody". How do you know? They are undefeated lol 

And if you're taking anything out of that bowl game, you are severely mistaken. That game means absolutely nothing with players health on the line, some of which are entering the NFL draft. Many of the starters will not be playing that game or caring about that game, which is why both programs almost called it off. 

• Upvote 1

Georgia has like 7+ players entering the portal who are all not playing in the Orange Bowl. Trey Benson and Johnny Wilson are opting out of the game for FSU, their best offensive weapons. Jared Verse and Keon Coleman are also potentially opting out. That game is a joke 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

CFB has always had elements of figure skating/gymnastics since teams play disparate schedules, which leads to things like this.

TBH I thought the way more egregious decision was to drop UGA to 6 after losing by 3 vs Bama at a neutral site after winning 28 in a row? How the hell does that happen?

I would say Georgia has just as good of a case as FSU. Possibly a stronger case. But since their conference foe are entering, no ones making a big deal out of it. All SEC teams will get the shared revenue off the TV deal and all will be happy. 

• Upvote 1

I dont like that FSU was left out, but at the end of the day, like Rutgers said above, the conferences agreed to a set of selection criteria (https://collegefootballplayoff.com/sports/2016/10/24/selection-committee-protocol.aspx) that includes:

• The selection committee will select the teams using a process that distinguishes among otherwise comparable teams by considering:
    • Conference championships won,
    • Strength of schedule,
    • Head‐to‐head competition,
    • Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory), and,
    • Other relevant factors such as unavailability of key players and coaches that may have affected a team’s performance during the season or likely will affect its postseason performance.

So by what they agreed on, its both an objective and subjective process. Had they left it at the first four bullet points, its fairly cut and dried.

So were they wrong? No. Also, as someone with no dog in this fight, I want to see the most entertaining match ups.

3 hours ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

TBH I thought the way more egregious decision was to drop UGA to 6 after losing by 3 vs Bama at a neutral site after winning 28 in a row? How the hell does that happen?

The way the season played out, it sucked for us.  I don't think it has ever happened before when all 5 power 5 Champs were either 0 or 1-loss.  Left us out in the cold.  Just the way things played out this year.  After we lost to Bama, I did not think there was any way we would get in ahead of the other Conference Champs.  We had our chance to play ourselves in and we lost our biggest game of the year.  Any other year we probably make the field after the season we had, but not this year.  And I have no issue with that.

Oh, and by the way, it was 29 in a row.  28 was the old SEC record.  At least we are still ahead of Bama in one area.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Lith said:

The way the season played out, it sucked for us.  I don't think it has ever happened before when all 5 power 5 Champs were either 0 or 1-loss.  Left us out in the cold.  Just the way things played out this year.  After we lost to Bama, I did not think there was any way we would get in ahead of the other Conference Champs.  We had our chance to play ourselves in and we lost our biggest game of the year.  Any other year we probably make the field after the season we had, but not this year.  And I have no issue with that.

Oh, and by the way, it was 29 in a row.  28 was the old SEC record.  At least we are still ahead of Bama in one area.

I get it, but you can't convince me that UGA is a worse team than FSU, Texas, Washington or Michigan. Them's the breaks though

• Upvote 1