Yamamoto to the Dodgers

Maxman

4 hours ago, chirorob said:

12 year contract for a guy who has never pitched in MLB.

Could be a great move, in another few years 27 million a year could be outright cheap for a starter.

It’s the fact that they got him so young, that never happens with American players, especially pitchers. Risk/reward standpoint given his age is well worth it. Even if he turns out to be a #2 or 3 as the years go by it’ll even out as a contract. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It’s the fact that they got him so young, that never happens with American players, especially pitchers. Risk/reward standpoint given his age is well worth it. Even if he turns out to be a #2 or 3 as the years go by it’ll even out as a contract. 

We needed to get this guy. Now I’m afraid to think what the Mets starting rotation is going to look like next year.

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Risk reward.

I'd rather give that money to a 26 year old then 200 million to DeGrom or 130 to Scherzer

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

We needed to get this guy. Now I’m afraid to think what the Mets starting rotation is going to look like next year.

I’ll panic when the spring hits. I think they’ll pay at least one someone (Giolito?) and then wait to see how Vasil and Tidwell look in St Lucie. There’s no way they can roll into the season with Senga-Quintana as their 1-2 punch. I love Senga, the guy pitched like an ace down the stretch but the rest of the rotation is a joke. 

20 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

There's a reason baseball has been regressing as a sport in America. It's stupid to have a sport where 1 team can spend on 1 player what another team spends on its entire roster. Baseball kinda sucks now

Until there is a salary cap and floor this will be the case for MLB.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

There's a reason baseball has been regressing as a sport in America. It's stupid to have a sport where 1 team can spend on 1 player what another team spends on its entire roster. Baseball kinda sucks now

Eh, it's not what determines winning. It's something like 4 or 5 out of the last 10 WS champs weren't even top 10 in payroll. Best thing about baseball is that there are at least 5-6 different ways to build a championship ball club. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Eh, it's not what determines winning. It's something like 4 or 5 out of the last 10 WS champs weren't even top 10 in payroll. Best thing about baseball is that there are at least 5-6 different ways to build a championship ball club. 

it still is stupid and baseball is borderline unwatchable anymore. and i used to be be the type of person to watch like 130 games/year.

4 hours ago, Arsis said:

That bullsh*t backdated othani contract is an absolute disgrace. The Yankees not offering 330/12 when they heard it was 325 is a disgrace. The Yankees going this long without a series and keeping Cashman is a disgrace.

Rotation is mediocre aside from Cole(who has an opt out coming after next. season).  No closer.  We just traded King and assets for Soto -  ok fine but I thought we were getting Yamamoto 

Cashman sucks

• Post of the Week 1

18 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

Idk there's a reason it's popularity has declined as much as it has. No salary cap ruined it

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2023/10/02/mlb-2023-attendance-surpasses-70-million-largest-increase-since-1998/amp/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2023/10/05/mlb-regional-sports-networks-see-7-gain-for-2023-season/amp/

Faster games and more entertaining offense with the new shift rules. The game’s in a great place. 

9 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Baseball went from the most popular sport in the country to 3rd. There's a reason for that. I and a lot of other people find it hard to watch. Obviously you like it. But the truth is it fell 2 spots for a reason. Without looking it up I'd assume the lack of a salary cap and parity in the league is the biggest factor. This BS with the dodgers spending a billion on 2 players likely wont help. Imo and many others baseball kinda sucks now and has for a while

On 12/24/2023 at 9:25 PM, neckdemon said:

Idk there's a reason it's popularity has declined as much as it has. No salary cap ruined it

I think the bigger issue with baseball right now is likability of it’s biggest stars.  The late 90’s/early 2000’s you had the steroid guys like McGwire, Sosa, Arod, Big Papi - they were larger than life figures who were also the league’s best players. Jeter was also larger than life and the women were going crazy over him.  There really isn’t anything like that now the two biggest stars are Aaron Judge who is always hurt and Jose Altuve a cheating midget

Ohtani is a huge star but the guy doesn’t speak English which inhibits his ability for his fame to extend beyond baseball plus he’s played on bad teams tho that is changing next season