Who are you drafting without trading back

If they don't shore up the O-line, they will destroy any young QB (and Rodgers) they pick.

If they pick a WR, it has to be someone who can run by people. GW is a great possession receiver, but he's not really a deep threat in the NFL. I think that riles out Odunze, and not sure about Nabors.

If all the tackles are gone, I'd like to trade down, get a second and a first (minimum) and see where they go from there.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Penix is my second favorite QB in this class. Super accurate. 

The scary thing with Penix is that he's 24, has torn two ACLs, and has had multiple shoulder surgeries. Between 2018-2021 every season ended with an injury.

2018: Tore his ACL
2019: Season-ending sternoclavicular joint injury
2020: Tore his ACL again
2021: Season-ending AC joint injury

In theory I'd be interested but I just don't trust his body especially on the Jets.

• Upvote 2
  • More Ugh 1

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The scary thing with Penix is that he's 24, has torn two ACLs, and has had multiple shoulder surgeries. Between 2018-2021 every season ended with an injury.

In theory I'd be interested but I just don't trust his body especially on the Jets.

Can’t see the jets taking a flier on him.  Rather, i can see them taking a qb like pratt in the 4th

• Upvote 1

My point in this was to just open the idea that maybe the top 2 OTs are off the board when we draft and the next best guy is a reach and yet we still don't love our OT situation going into the draft (cant see us doing nothing in FA with it).

Do we reach for an OT (not always the best draft philosophy to just draft a position to draft it). Although if we drafted the next best OT this last draft even with Jones going before us. It would've been Harrison who was pretty good as a rookie OT. Who would've been a "reach" pick. Bur likely would've still been a good pick.

Or do you not reach and go BPA on offense at skill. That could be a guy like Bowers, Nabers, Obunze to name a few.

I also don't like the idea of people just being lazy and say trade back. Because that's a lot easier said than done. Takes 2 teams to tango and the deal to work for both sides. Not always easy like a lot make it seem.

14 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Tell you what, if the Jets get the chance I’m fine with Penix. He’d plenty removed from ACL stuff and he’s even get some extra recovery time behind Rodgers (hopefully). I’m fine with his age. QB isn’t a position that flames out after 32 so whatever. 

People get so uptight about a prospect's age.

Like you said, QBs last forever, a quality QB can play easily until 35-38 years old.  "oh no, we only have our next QB for 12 years instead of 14!"

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Yeah, oof. That’s rough

It’s interesting because he reminds me a little of Tua with a better arm, who also had a significant injury history coming out 

But yeah, that would a big risk for sure 

we aren’t taking one of these 1st round QBs, anyway  

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, New York Mick said:

If I’m the GM I’m loading up on OL 

JC Latham

OT Alabama

Jc Latham was already giving off Becton vibes before the Rose Bowl 

in the Rose Bowl he got blown up so bad on 4th and goal that he tripped up Milroe and hurt his knee

absolute dog water of a prospect I wouldn't draft him at all 

• Upvote 2

Jets fans really are dreamers if we think JD in his "all or nothing" year with Rodgers making 100 mil is going to draft a QB top 10 

or even round 3

they aren't gonna do it because they are beholden to Aaron and he can't have anyone on the roster who threatens him in anyway

so put those Jayden or Michael Penix dreams to bed it's never, mark my words, NEVER going to happen 

Fwiw these players feel more like late 1 early 2 than real first rounders - not that it matters to us 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

20 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

MHJ is good but he gets a lot more attention because of his name/bloodline.  Nabers, Odunze, Coleman are probably just as good than MHJ. 

This, same banner i've been waivign

21 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Just IMO -- I'd be surprised if Rome Odunze isn't the #2 WR by draft time. I've seen some hot takes that he's better than MHJ.

Im coming around to Odunze, but you all have to recognize that he has, without a doubt, the biggest risk of the top names. Makes the difficult look easy with those over the shoulder rainbows, while a DB is living in his back pocket -- but stacked up against MJH, Coleman, Nabors -- Odunze is the biggest risk. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Jc Latham was already giving off Becton vibes before the Rose Bowl 

in the Rose Bowl he got blown up so bad on 4th and goal that he tripped up Milroe and hurt his knee

absolute dog water of a prospect I wouldn't draft him at all 

I was watching him.  Reminds me of becton but more fundamentally sound.  Will be an ok Rt.  There are better Rt options in the draft 

21 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Best QB 

8ba1es.jpg

So there's this guy, we'll call him Joe Douglas... probably fighting for his job in '24. In other words, win at all costs. 

That does not look like drafting a QB to sit behind Rodgers. 

16 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Jets fans really are dreamers if we think JD in his "all or nothing" year with Rodgers making 100 mil is going to draft a QB top 10 

or even round 3

they aren't gonna do it because they are beholden to Aaron and he can't have anyone on the roster who threatens him in anyway

so put those Jayden or Michael Penix dreams to bed it's never, mark my words, NEVER going to happen 

Fwiw these players feel more like late 1 early 2 than real first rounders - not that it matters to us 

If they get another day 2 pick, i can see a round 3 qb.  Maybe. 

7 minutes ago, Paradis said:

This, same banner i've been waivign

Im coming around to Odunze, but you all have to recognize that he has, without a doubt, the biggest bust/underwhelming risk of the top names. Makes the difficult look easy with those over the shoulder rainbows, while a DB is living in his back pocket -- but stacked up against MJH, Coleman, Nabors -- Odunze is the biggest risk. 

Rome seems like a home run guy who isn’t a volume wr.  He would be a great pairing with garrett.  Maybe if the OL wasn’t such a mess, he would be in the mix, but i can’t see them going wr.  

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

Rome seems like a home run guy who isn’t a volume wr.  He would be a great pairing with garrett.  Maybe if the OL wasn’t such a mess, he would be in the mix, but i can’t see them going wr.  

That's the hope, but that's not a top 10 pick. 

2 hours ago, NorthCoastJetsFan said:

If they don't shore up the O-line, they will destroy any young QB (and Rodgers) they pick.

If they pick a WR, it has to be someone who can run by people. GW is a great possession receiver, but he's not really a deep threat in the NFL. I think that riles out Odunze, and not sure about Nabors.

If all the tackles are gone, I'd like to trade down, get a second and a first (minimum) and see where they go from there.

I think you will be surprised what a deep threat Wilson is when the other receivers don't suck.

38 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Im coming around to Odunze, but you all have to recognize that he has, without a doubt, the biggest risk of the top names. Makes the difficult look easy with those over the shoulder rainbows, while a DB is living in his back pocket -- but stacked up against MJH, Coleman, Nabors -- Odunze is the biggest risk. 

I'm curious how he tests. There was a story he ran a 4.34 back in the spring but I agree that amazing contested catch ability has looked like his biggest strength vs. being a burner.

I just like the size of Odunze or Coleman to pair with GW vs. Nabers who I think is similar to GW as a player.

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

People get so uptight about a prospect's age.

Like you said, QBs last forever, a quality QB can play easily until 35-38 years old.  "oh no, we only have our next QB for 12 years instead of 14!"

I agree with the general sentiment... But when the reason he's 24 is that he suffered four consecutive season ending injuries I get more nervous.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I agree with the general sentiment... But when the reason he's 24 is that he suffered four consecutive season ending injuries I get more nervous.

Age, not an issue.

Repeated injuries, yes.   ACLs are funny though, it can indicate a problem, or just be really bad luck.

• Upvote 1

It seems like its an ideal spot to take a WR. 

We're not drafting a QB. Wish all you want - its not happening. 

Like others I agree the top two OTs will likely be selected before we draft. If they are there it seems like an easy/obvious choice. 

I think AVT's future position will be a big part of this decision. If the Jets are willing to convert him to an OT - it is possible they can find another starting caliber OT in FA (very slim pickings right now) and give themselves some flexibility in the first round. 

If they are able to shore up the OT position, they should draft Odunze or Nabers. I am a huge Nabers fan. He does project as similar to Garrett Wilson but I don't view that as much of a negative. Odunze is more of the Keenan Allen mold. Big body but really nimble and sudden with his movement. He is good off the line and runs good routes. He apparently is sub 4.4 speed - so theoretically he has deep speed but his play speed doesn't seem to match. 

The draft experts seem to be really hyping up Odunze and Nabers as being overshadowed by MHJr. I've seen a lot of commentary that Odunze or Nabers would be WR1 in most drafts and should be considered elite prospects despite not being a MHJr "generational" talent. 

Ultimately I don't believe the Jets will be in a position to not be reliant on a rookie OT. If that is the case you almost assuredly want one early. Given we have no 2nd rounder this year - that means a first rounder. 

My hope is if the top two OTs are gone they trade back to the mid teens. Should still be able to get a 2nd tier OT. If they can pick up a second rounder in the trade they may be able to double dip at OT given how deep the class is. 

Everyone should be rooting for the Chargers and Titans to win this week plus the Jets losing to NE. Giants won't take an OT. Cardinals likely won't either. Titans for sure will and Chargers may. If we can leap those two teams we'd likely have our pick of the top OTs, but are more or less assured one. 

I want offensive linemen with every pick in this draft but Based on the circumstances you presented with certain players off the board already.  If you even look at last year, Douglas apparently had Michael Mayer the  Tight End who went to the Raiders and Mcdonald rated higher than the OT who went to Pittsburg.  I remember Pitts in the conversation a couple of years ago.  Rogers likes throwing to the tight end  This leads  me to Brock Bowers possibly being that selection.  I am actually intrigued by the LSU QB as well.

19 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Huff isn't the Jets' player to trade, unless you're thinking they might franchise tag him at over $20MM for one more season, though that seems extremely doubtful. 

They're either extending him - which means keeping him, not signing & trading - or they're unable to come to a price agreement and he'll go to the highest bidder in March. Jets probably aren't at the top of his destination list anyway, as he's been stuck as a situational player with the team's depth at edge/end.

They allegedly began extension talks with him in November, but as there hasn't been an agreement or anything further leaked since then, I have to believe they're far enough apart that Huff will want to test free agency. Especially now, that his risk of serious injury for the remainder of this season is in the past (or almost, as there's just 1 game left and he plays barely half the snaps anyway). 

I believe JD at his mid-season press conference said they had preliminary conversations with Huff. I think someone on the beat asked Huff about it and he was like yea I don't know of any talks. So I'm not optimistic. I also have no idea why he would want to sign between now and FA. Guy has made dick compared to other NFL players and is going to want to max out his earnings. Jets have a lot of edge rushers and doubt he'd want to come back to be paid as a rotational edge rather than find a team that wants to pay him to be a primary pass rusher. 

I'm surprised you don't believe he can be tagged though. I think that is what is going to happen. Most edge rushers who have been tagged last 10 years or so have fetched a 2nd rounder or more. I think someone would pay that for Huff. His advanced stats are insane and I believe he is around top 10 for pressures despite having like ~50% of the snaps as the other leaders. 

I want Huff back - but I don't think the Jets will be able to take his salary on as a franchise tag. They want to push money in the future to run it up this year. I'd much rather tag and trade him and get a 2nd (or even a 3rd) this year then wait for a comp pick in the 2025 draft. 

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

No chance

They should but they won't 

Unfortunately i agree.  But ironically it would be the best way for douglas to save his job.  B/c when rodgers goes down they’re not going to have a viable backup option b/c no good backup qbs are coming here.  It’s obvious they’re cleaning house after next season, no reason to come here.  So the best backup options are guys they could draft on day 2. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

Unfortunately i agree.  But ironically it would be the best way for douglas to save his job.  B/c when rodgers goes down they’re not going to have a viable backup option b/c no good backup qbs are coming here.  It’s obvious they’re cleaning house after next season, no reason to come here.  So the best backup options are guys they could draft on day 2. 

You're right of course but it doesn't matter. They are going to ride or die with Aaron again 

This is one of the many instances where the degenerates on the message boards are more competent than the professionals running the team 

I'm pretty much written off 2024 season it's gonna be another abortion 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

You're right of course but it doesn't matter. They are going to ride or die with Aaron again 

This is one of the many instances where the degenerates on the message boards are more competent than the professionals running the team 

I'm pretty much written off 2024 season it's gonna be another abortion 

The entire objective of 2024 is to eke into the playoffs with a gimpy rodgers and whichever washed up backup qb they can trick into coming here.  This regime thinks that will be enough to justify all the moves they’ve made and all the sacrificing the future it took to get to 10-7 or 9-8 to lose on the road in cincy in the wild card round.  Then they’d still have no future qb, a questionable OL likely and guys like breece and garrett who no doubt will be considering walking to get out of this mess.  Of course if they just had the foresight to get a qb in this draft to step in when rodgers misses half the season if not more, at least douglas would give his tenure one last gasp chance to demonstrate he can actually draft a decent qb. 

JC Latham or Nabers. 

Good chance Nabers is gone by the time we pick at 8 - BTW. 

JC Latham is a monster and being underestimated by many on here, IMO. 

Bowers is tempting but I'm feeling more and more like he is a luxury. Maybe after FA I will change my tune. I think Bowers will be there at 8. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The entire objective of 2024 is to eke into the playoffs with a gimpy rodgers and whichever washed up backup qb they can trick into coming here.  This regime thinks that will be enough to justify all the moves they’ve made and all the sacrificing the future it took to get to 10-7 or 9-8 to lose on the road in cincy in the wild card round.  Then they’d still have no future qb, a questionable OL likely and guys like breece and garrett who no doubt will be considering walking to get out of this mess.  Of course if they just had the foresight to get a qb in this draft to step in when rodgers misses half the season if not more, at least douglas would give his tenure one last gasp chance to demonstrate he can actually draft a decent qb. 

Debbie Downer Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Since they boned themselves from one HOF'er by beating the Commanders, I'd say you go get the other one in Bowers.  The Jets need elite playmakers and I think the way Bowers can be used is going to be insane

29 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If these fools could make the playoffs somehow that would be a great outcome 

But they won't 

Aaron is done 

Joe Douglas is bad at his job 

So don't worry about it 

33 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

I believe JD at his mid-season press conference said they had preliminary conversations with Huff. I think someone on the beat asked Huff about it and he was like yea I don't know of any talks. So I'm not optimistic. I also have no idea why he would want to sign between now and FA. Guy has made dick compared to other NFL players and is going to want to max out his earnings. Jets have a lot of edge rushers and doubt he'd want to come back to be paid as a rotational edge rather than find a team that wants to pay him to be a primary pass rusher. 

I'm surprised you don't believe he can be tagged though. I think that is what is going to happen. Most edge rushers who have been tagged last 10 years or so have fetched a 2nd rounder or more. I think someone would pay that for Huff. His advanced stats are insane and I believe he is around top 10 for pressures despite having like ~50% of the snaps as the other leaders. 

I want Huff back - but I don't think the Jets will be able to take his salary on as a franchise tag. They want to push money in the future to run it up this year. I'd much rather tag and trade him and get a 2nd (or even a 3rd) this year then wait for a comp pick in the 2025 draft. 

I've been wrong plenty, but tbh I just don't think that's likely, and it's not a matter of not liking Huff on my part.

As the franchise tag is almost always the basis for an extension, if one happens that same season, I don't think anybody is signing Huff away at a rate in excess of $20MM/year when he's never been a starter for a season yet.

If they franchise tag him no one's signing him away at that rate, let alone forking over a 2nd rounder for the privilege. He'll be on the Jets with a $20MM+ cap number unless the Jets then extend him more or less at that rate per year. 

This past offseason people were crying about the stupidity of not giving Huff a round-1 RFA tender, feeling with certainty someone would sign him away for just a 2nd rounder. No one did, and they wouldn't have had to offer Huff even half that franchise tag rate as a contract basis. I never say never with some dumb GMs out there, but I don't see anyone paying Huff $20-22MM/year on a multi-year deal. 

Likewise, I don't see the Jets risk getting stuck with paying him the tag amount, for a player they still wouldn't even start after Lawson was injured all season long, when they're really hoping McDonald bulks up enough to take Huff's snaps. 

If someone signs him for anywhere near that franchise tag amount they'll be in line for a 3rd round comp in 2025.

• Upvote 1