Where will Zach Wilson end up next year? As in what team?

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s low key hilarious that they’ve put Zach Wilson into hiding and are just sort of alluding to him being “around the facility.”

The Jets are the only franchise maybe besides the Knicks who do this type of stuff. He’s telling you flat out he’d rather be in Utah. Like when Derek Fisher was commuting to fight Matt Barnes while  coaching the Knicks. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

The Jets are the only franchise maybe besides the Knicks who do this type of stuff. He’s telling you flat out he’d rather be in Utah. 

If you had to bet $500 whether Zach Wilson is in New Jersey or in Utah at this very moment, where would you put your money?

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If you had to bet $500 whether Zach Wilson is in New Jersey or in Utah at this very moment, where would you put your money?

Who backed up Flacco Week 18 @ Miami last year? Wilson or Strevler?

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That was Streveler, right? I remember Wilson was inactive for the must-have Seahawks game despite Mike White having no ribs.

I think we have our answer then. He likely went home after the Jacksonville debacle.

again with the mysterious rationale here- does Zach need reps or no? Does he need to sit? Nothing makes sense. If he were healthy why wouldn’t he start a meaningless game against Miami last year? The only that that makes sense is he’s got special rules, which is an impossible way to run a team.

Just now, Matt39 said:

I think we have our answer then. He likely went home after the Jacksonville debacle.

again with the mysterious rationale here- does Zach need reps or no? Does he need to sit? Nothing makes sense. If he were healthy why wouldn’t he start a meaningless game against Miami last year? 

And if the GM loved him so much, is he really letting Saleh make him inactive down the stretch two years running? Makes no sense. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

And if the GM loved him so much, is he really letting Saleh make him inactive down the stretch two years running? Makes no sense. 

I do recall after Leflauer made his comments last year about the right thing to do was to have Zach sit, the following day Woody was patrolling the practice field talking to Bob. I mean we know for a fact- MLF didn’t like Zach as a player, and that Saleh did not want to fire him (almost to the point, I believe, they would have fired Saleh too if he didn’t work it out with MLF). It was a mutual parting- yeah right. 

On the positive side, I do believe Douglas and Saleh are basically lockstep in virtually everything and probably wanted Carr over Rodgers, but it’s too good of a gig to push back against the owner. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

31 minutes ago, football guy said:

The "plan" was to give Zach a fresh start but on this team. They wanted to treat 2023 as if he was a rookie again, with the expectation/hope that he would develop into the player they felt he'd be, and eventually get a chance to be the successor to whatever veteran QB was acquired.

31 minutes ago, football guy said:

The front office fought tooth and nail to keep him.

This just shows Joe Douglas cares more about his stupid batting average and street cred than about the success of the team.

He's so desperate to save face on Kapono at any cost.

Dude is preoccupied with his own ego and the possibility of overhearing his peers cracking jokes about him and his stupid Zach Wilson pick at league meetings, out in public, or wherever.

42 minutes ago, football guy said:

The "plan" was to give Zach a fresh start but on this team. They wanted to treat 2023 as if he was a rookie again, with the expectation/hope that he would develop into the player they felt he'd be, and eventually get a chance to be the successor to whatever veteran QB was acquired.

I know it's up to ZW2 at this point, but that part right there + being mentored by his idol leads me to believe that he WILL be back. 

I think once the offseason hits and Saleh + Wilson have some time apart / cooler heads etc. I think Rodgers will talk everyone including Wilson that he should come back. 

If the organization truly looked at this year like he was a rookie then they can't really be disappointed in his play. They thought he needed 2-3 years, so my guess is that they'll make it happen and have him return.

2 hours ago, football guy said:

Rams, Broncos, or Jets in that order
Eagles and 49ers less likely but worth mentioning 

• Rams are probably the most natural fit. MLF and Zach had a rocky working relationship, but their personal relationship was never an issue. It's also not the same situation... MLF has less influence in their passing game- he's been more involved in reinvigorating their rushing attack whereas Zac Robinson, Jake Peetz, and McVay are more intimately involved with the quarterbacks. Working behind Stafford is a very similar situation to what he expected to be in for the next few years as Rodgers' understudy, he'd be closer to home/offseason training, and there would be a lot of faith that the infrastructure the Rams have would be best for him in the long run. If Zach is traded, I would imagine this is where he would want to end up. 
  • Broncos are a team to keep an eye on for Zach and Mac Jones. They're not in a great position to draft a QB, and Sean Payton has high opinion of both players' abilities. Could be a situation where he has a camp battle between Stidham and a reclamation project, instead of drafting a guy in round 1. 
  • I'm fully aware most Jet fans are disgusted by this scenario, but the possibility remains that Zach is back. I do think that currently, Saleh and Zach want fresh starts. I think Woody Johnson is going to put pressure on the FO to get a proven veteran backup. The wildcards are JD (and the front office) + Rodgers. Right or wrong, A-Rod will easily sway the opinion of ownership and his coach. The front office still believes in his talent. Their plan went to sh*t 4 plays into the season, but make no mistake: they spent a lot of time and effort on their Zach Wilson strategy, and this front office has been reluctant to give up on players. If they feel cooler heads can prevail and everyone is on board with working together, the compromise would be bringing in a proven veteran and allowing them to compete for the #2/#3 pecking order... worst case scenario you can trade the players at a later date. 
  • Eagles toyed with trading up for Zach in the draft, and Brian Johnson did a lot of homework on him when he was considering the Jets for the OC role before getting promoted. Could be one to watch. 
  • I expect the 49ers to try and bring back Sam, but if they don't, they are right behind the Rams as "favorites" 

Ultimately, I expect him to get traded to LA and the Jets will try like hell to convince Ryan Tannehill to come here as a backup on a reasonable salary. 

Strongly disagree.  The marjoity of the rationale for firing LaFleur was based on personal relationships.  You are looking at pre-draft interest and "homework" as reasons to trade for the kid?  I assume that whoever would take a shot was high on him pre-draft, but the idea that opinions have not changed seems off to me.  Whoever gets him is probably looking at starting over with a clean slate and a clean slate sure as sh*t does not inlcude Mike LaFleur.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

LaFluer got fired because of him, he’s not going to the Rams.

LaFleur got fired for many reasons and has no authority in LA. If McVay wants him, he'll get him. 

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

This would make sense if he were brought back as the 3rd guy or if they brought in Wentz/Flacco once Rodgers went down. Just not buying it, the rationale doesn’t compute. Zach’s 3 years in. A season on the bench at this point as a favor is not how real organizations operate. He’s started a boatload of games. Cut the cord and let him go to Utah full time. 

The rationale doesn't compute because you're being irrational. If you weren't so emotionally invested in conspiracy, it would make some sense... Zach played well enough to be a backup. He didn't play well enough to make up for the leagues-worst offensive line play and deficiency at receiver outside of Garrett Wilson over the course of an entire season. That's basically what it comes down to. You can throw out any name available you want, they were not making a difference behind this offensive line. Joe Flacco showed us that. 

2 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

The Jets should have brought back Sam this season (and traded ZW).

I doubt he would have had any interest but hey, money talks.

Don't think there's a chance he comes back here, but he'd be a perfect backup option to Rodgers 

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

This just shows Joe Douglas cares more about his stupid batting average and street cred than about the success of the team.

He's so desperate to save face on Kapono at any cost.

Dude is preoccupied with his own ego and the possibility of overhearing his peers cracking jokes about him and his stupid Zach Wilson pick at league meetings, out in public, or wherever.

JD deserves to be criticized when it doesn't go right. I don't think its ego driven though; I think he has conviction in the players he drafts and wants to see it through. Sunk cost fallacy is real IMO, but clearly he's not a believer in it. 

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

I know it's up to ZW2 at this point, but that part right there + being mentored by his idol leads me to believe that he WILL be back. 

I think once the offseason hits and Saleh + Wilson have some time apart / cooler heads etc. I think Rodgers will talk everyone including Wilson that he should come back. 

If the organization truly looked at this year like he was a rookie then they can't really be disappointed in his play. They thought he needed 2-3 years, so my guess is that they'll make it happen and have him return.

Those who work for him say he leans towards wanting a fresh start somewhere else. So unless things change, I would expect the Jets to grant it. Anything can happen though 

30 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Strongly disagree.  The marjoity of the rationale for firing LaFleur was based on personal relationships.  You are looking at pre-draft interest and "homework" as reasons to trade for the kid?  I assume that whoever would take a shot was high on him pre-draft, but the idea that opinions have not changed seems off to me.  Whoever gets him is probably looking at starting over with a clean slate and a clean slate sure as sh*t does not inlcude Mike LaFleur.

LaFleur was a poor teacher and poor communicator. That's why he was fired. He has made his feelings clear both last season and this offseason (post Jets) what went wrong with Zach: "In hindsight, it probably would've benefited [Zach Wilson] just to sit back and learn a little bit and watch a veteran and just kind of grow in this league -- kind of in the backseat, watching. Get better in practice, get better through the scout team and all that. But that wasn't the course that we went." Was he wrong? 

Of course you would imagine things change since the draft but there are still a ton of people in the league who see the insane arm talent, the out-of-structure play-making, the work ethic, the toughness and believe they can develop him. Its a much different set of circumstances when your doing so with a backup vs. a starter, and my guess is both MLF and Wilson would probably embrace being on the same (superiorly run) team under a different set of circumstances. 

I still wouldn't be surprised to see him return. Rodgers is in his corner and he's $5.4mm in new money next year, which is right in line with backup pay. Keeping ZW means no risk to Rodgers of spending a high draft pick on a QB instead of patching up the offense. I think everybody but Rodgers would be happier moving ZW to another team.

I also believe the market for ZW is bigger than a lot of people here think. His salary/roster bonus is in line for backup pay and he has two years of starting experience. There's likely many teams looking at the Jets as a dysfunctional organization who tried to force him to be a different player and think it's worth the one year flyer to find out if the Jets were wrong. I don't think the trade value is great, but I do think there are a lot of teams who would take the opportunity for the right price. 

• Upvote 1

KC or SF makes the least sense because they’re set at the QB spot for the next 10 years. If he’s going to rot on some bench, he’ll do it here.

No, the best place him for to go is at a team where the QB spot is still up in the air but where the Head coach is offensive minded. Teams like Atlanta, Minnesota, Denver, DC, and maybe Pittsburgh or Vegas.

Let’s hope JD gets a bidding war on his hands, lol.

3 hours ago, football guy said:

Rams, Broncos, or Jets in that order
Eagles and 49ers less likely but worth mentioning 

• Rams are probably the most natural fit. MLF and Zach had a rocky working relationship, but their personal relationship was never an issue. It's also not the same situation... MLF has less influence in their passing game- he's been more involved in reinvigorating their rushing attack whereas Zac Robinson, Jake Peetz, and McVay are more intimately involved with the quarterbacks. Working behind Stafford is a very similar situation to what he expected to be in for the next few years as Rodgers' understudy, he'd be closer to home/offseason training, and there would be a lot of faith that the infrastructure the Rams have would be best for him in the long run. If Zach is traded, I would imagine this is where he would want to end up. 
  • Broncos are a team to keep an eye on for Zach and Mac Jones. They're not in a great position to draft a QB, and Sean Payton has high opinion of both players' abilities. Could be a situation where he has a camp battle between Stidham and a reclamation project, instead of drafting a guy in round 1. 
  • I'm fully aware most Jet fans are disgusted by this scenario, but the possibility remains that Zach is back. I do think that currently, Saleh and Zach want fresh starts. I think Woody Johnson is going to put pressure on the FO to get a proven veteran backup. The wildcards are JD (and the front office) + Rodgers. Right or wrong, A-Rod will easily sway the opinion of ownership and his coach. The front office still believes in his talent. Their plan went to sh*t 4 plays into the season, but make no mistake: they spent a lot of time and effort on their Zach Wilson strategy, and this front office has been reluctant to give up on players. If they feel cooler heads can prevail and everyone is on board with working together, the compromise would be bringing in a proven veteran and allowing them to compete for the #2/#3 pecking order... worst case scenario you can trade the players at a later date. 
  • Eagles toyed with trading up for Zach in the draft, and Brian Johnson did a lot of homework on him when he was considering the Jets for the OC role before getting promoted. Could be one to watch. 
  • I expect the 49ers to try and bring back Sam, but if they don't, they are right behind the Rams as "favorites" 

Ultimately, I expect him to get traded to LA and the Jets will try like hell to convince Ryan Tannehill to come here as a backup on a reasonable salary. 

Good thoughts about where Zach winds up. Everyone has to admit the guy makes some incredible throws and has improved quite a bit over last season.  I don’t think saleh wants him back he exposes salehs lack of offense acumen.  I think the broncos, rams or niners are good fits.  Purdy is showing some chinks in his ability and stafford is nearing the end.  Broncos? They’re clearly moving on from Rwilson and don’t have the draft capital to pick a new guy.  Zach would be back in his backyard.  As for tannehill, I don’t see him backing up the jets.  He will have zero future beyond Rodgers.  A guy like brissett might be better.  Younger, more mobile and would want the starters job.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

10 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I'd ride it out. Make him compete with a vet for the #2 job and give him a chance to continue to improve. 

If all JD is getting for him is a 6th, I wouldn’t trade him either. 
But if he stays, some guys on this site would have to be put on suicide watch.

9 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

KC or SF makes the least sense because they’re set at the QB spot for the next 10 years. If he’s going to rot on some bench, he’ll do it here.

No, the best place him for to go is at a team where the QB spot is still up in the air but where the Head coach is offensive minded. Teams like Atlanta, Minnesota, Denver, DC, and maybe Pittsburgh or Vegas.

Let’s hope JD gets a bidding war on his hands, lol.

Not many teams are looking at him as a possible starter, I think teams like SF and KC make a lot of sense.  Just like Lance made a lot of sense to Dallas.

3 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

I'm pretty confident his time with the Jets is done.  I don't really care where he goes, but he will likely land on a roster somewhere.

Looking forward to the time we can stop talking about this failed draft pick.

Everyone said this verbatim last December and January. I expect the Jets to do the wrong thing every time, so I expect Zach to be back. 

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

So your argument is that Zach wants a fresh start and McVay would be his top choice?  Do I give a ****?  Should the Jets?  None of that has anything to do with trade compensation and that is all that will matter.  Who will give a 5th instead of a 6th, or whatever.  You seem to vacillate between acting like LaFleur is going to give some kind of recommendation and that LaFleur has no authority, so any negative thoughts he has on Zach won't matter.  It's one or the other and neither explains why McVay would want Wilson.  Cause Utah is closer to LA than NJ?  Is it based on them burning a 4th on Stetson Bennett who is on the NFI list?  

He'd be a perfect backup option to Rodgers?   Like he was in 2023?  You can't make this sh*t up. 

Out of structure play making?   Don't coaches like plays to be made "in structure?"  Work ethic?  I will leave that one to @Matt39 but I don't really see it.  Toughness?  Seroiusly?  The dude literally just bowed out of games, didn't he?  I guess those were just rumors, but c'mon.

I mean, the circular talk of him being the perfect backup next year is twilight zone territory. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

So your argument is that Zach wants a fresh start and McVay would be his top choice?  Do I give a ****?  Should the Jets?  None of that has anything to do with trade compensation and that is all that will matter.  Who will give a 5th instead of a 6th, or whatever.  You seem to vacillate between acting like LaFleur is going to give some kind of recommendation and that LaFleur has no authority, so any negative thoughts he has on Zach won't matter.  It's one or the other and neither explains why McVay would want Wilson.  Cause Utah is closer to LA than NJ?  Is it based on them burning a 4th on Stetson Bennett who is on the NFI list?  

He'd be a perfect backup option to Rodgers?   Like he was in 2023?  You can't make this sh*t up. 

Out of structure play making?   Don't coaches like plays to be made "in structure?"  Work ethic?  I will leave that one to @Matt39 but I don't really see it.  Toughness?  Seroiusly?  The dude literally just bowed out of games, didn't he?  I guess those were just rumors, but c'mon.

Zach fans are going to try and wishcast him to the Rams and Niners and he’ll end up on the Seahawks for a year, never to be heard from again. 

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

On the positive side, I do believe Douglas and Saleh are basically lockstep in virtually everything and probably wanted Carr over Rodgers, but it’s too good of a gig to push back against the owner. 

Eh. They wouldn’t have rushed to bring Hackett in if this was the case. They knew they had Rodgers in the bag last January. 

• Upvote 3

Douglas being stubborn with his picks isn’t really true. Becton was on IR for two years and was on the bubble this camp. Moore was sent packing. Mims never played.  Zuniga cut. Perine cut. Morgan cut. Carter cut. The only guy who has stuck around has been Wilson. 

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Not many teams are looking at him as a possible starter, I think teams like SF and KC make a lot of sense

All we need is just one team out there who does see him as a possible starter. And when I say a possible starter, I mean, bring him in and have him compete with others as the possible starter.
If not, then Why would teams trade for him if they don’t want to ever use him? San Francisco and Kansas City would be wasting draft picks trading for him because they’re set for the next 10 years at QB. You can buy a backup QB. You don’t need to waste draft capital for a backup.
The Lance trade was an outlier because he got injured early and he never really got to play. That’s why his trade value was low.

Zack’s trade value will be, and should be somewhere in the Sam Darnold trade value.

All you need is another Carolina Panthers 

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It’s low key hilarious that they’ve put Zach Wilson into hiding and are just sort of alluding to him being “around the facility.”

Zach was the scapegoat for Saleh and Douglas all year.  He's leaving and Douglas and Saleh get to keep their jobs.  They should give him a bonus and send him anywhere he wants to go.  They owe their job next year to Zach.  Had Rodgers bombed with this team they would never work in the NFL again.  

23 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Everyone said this verbatim last December and January. I expect the Jets to do the wrong thing every time, so I expect Zach to be back. 

Definitely not everyone.  My feeling was they would bring in competent veteran and give Zach a reset year.  That's exactly what they tried to do.

Just now, DoubleDown said:

Definitely not everyone.  My feeling was they would bring in competent veteran and give Zach a reset year.  That's exactly what they tried to do.

That ignores that the Jets do the wrong thing in every situation and have not a shred of accountability anywhere in the organization. 

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Douglas being stubborn with his picks isn’t really true. Becton was on IR for two years and was on the bubble this camp. Moore was sent packing. Mims never played.  Zuniga cut. Perine cut. Morgan cut. Carter cut. The only guy who’s stuck around has been Wilson. 

Agreed.

He's not being stubborn with his picks.  He just makes alot of bad picks.  He tends to move on pretty quickly.  He tried to replace Zach after only two years too.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

All we need is just one team out there who does see him as a possible starter. And when I say a possible starter, I mean, bring him in and have him compete with others as the possible starter.
If not, then Why would teams trade for him if they don’t want to ever use him? San Francisco and Kansas City would be wasting draft picks trading for him because they’re set for the next 10 years.
The Lance trade was an outlier because he got injured early and he never really got to play. That’s why his trade value was low.

Zack’s trade value will be, and should be somewhere in the Sam Darnold trade value.

Problem is that Darnold was a better player by almost every metric, and was traded by a new regime after being stuck with two duds.  He wasn't being cast aside by the guys that picked him after scapegoating their buddy into a new job.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Out of structure play making?   Don't coaches like plays to be made "in structure?"  Work ethic?  I will leave that one to @Matt39 but I don't really see it.  Toughness?  Seriously?  The dude literally just bowed out of games, didn't he?  I guess those were just rumors, but c'mon.

Most NFL teams don't operate like this anymore. If the compensation is close and there isn't a bitter relationship with the player, they will give them say in where they go. If a team offered a 2nd round pick vs. the Rams offering a 5th that's a different story. But if the price is close, teams will try to accommodate the player because it helps their reputation with agents. 

As far as why I think McVay will want Wilson? Go read his reasons he wanted Stafford over Goff, specifically related to play style and off schedule playmaking. Go read the statements of people who branch from the Shanahan/QB collective tree and what they think about Wilson as a player both in the past as a prospect and in the present. A lot of the same sentiments they had with Sam Darnold, who SF considered trading for in 2021 and ultimately signed this past offseason. They were all pushing Zach as the top QB in the 2021 draft, and they continue to push him as an ultra-talented player who can thrive in the right environment. It's no secret, just do your research instead of looking at it from an emotional fan perspective whose butthurt that the player they drafted #2 overall busted

Yes toughness. Yes work ethic. Yes resilience. None have been questioned in his time with the Jets. But because you saw the teammates wearing Mike White shirts, it must be that he's none of those things and that his teammates hate him. Just more conspiracy theory

34 minutes ago, PS17 said:

8 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Yes, it made no sense to dump him last offseason.  The cap ramifications would have been pretty bleak.  Now it is palatable and a trade might at least get a bit of relief.  Things are also much further south.  The wild card is the lunatic in the sensory deprivation chamber.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

1 hour ago, football guy said:

LaFleur got fired for many reasons and has no authority in LA. If McVay wants him, he'll get him. 

Lefluer wasn't fired by the NY Jets.  LeFluer had an offer and wanted to leave before the jets ever fired him.  

17 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

If not, then Why would teams trade for him if they don’t want to ever use him? San Francisco and Kansas City would be wasting draft picks trading for him because they’re set for the next 10 years.

Wild to believe. But during his 3 years with the Jets, Darnold threw 45 touchdowns. Wilson in 3 seasons has thrown half of that with 23.

• Haha 2