Deuces! Staley Turns Down Jets to Join Browns as RB Coach

50 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This smacks of Saleh wanting to squeeze a year of paychecks out of Woody for his otherwise unemployable coaching pals before they all get fired in twelve months The idea that adding more (currently) unemployed voices to the offensive staff without firing anyone is laughable. Really speaks to the absence of an adult in the room that could see through this type of bullsh*t

Here’s how I think it breaks down. Douglas and Saleh are of course being given a mulligan for ‘23 because of the Rodgers injury. However that mulligan isn’t enough to warrant any contract extensions for either one.

So if Woody does the typical optics-only one year extensions for them (guessing at about $4MM apiece, give or take) to attract a different position coach, then Woody’s paying someone like Staley not just the ~$400K or whatever he’d make, but in effect their first choice RBC for the year will cost $8.4MM ($8MM more than their next choice).

While I don’t give a crap how much more Woody lays out off the salary cap, I can sympathize with that.

However the far bigger concern is this GM+HC duo doesn’t have the clout to attract the same caliber FA starters if they can’t even convince a lowly RBC - who was just fired by Carolina’s interim staff midseason - to come here to take credit for a healthy Breece Hall having a statistical breakout rushing season behind an upgraded OL and QB.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

We were an Achilles away from no one mentioning firing this staff.

While last year there was real talk of Stefanski being on the hot seat.  

Jets always get jetted. There is always a “what if” or “should have” with this team.

• Post of the Week 1

why is this even a thing? the guy probably had interest from several teams and took the one that fit him best.

who cares?!?!
Because the sky is falling, haven't you heard?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, football guy said:

Browns situation more stable than ours, so not necessarily a surprise. 

They need to add a new RB coach obviously. QB coach Rob Calabrese is in limbo. They are looking into adding/replacing a few assistant/specialty roles and at least someone with an OL background. There’s also a chance they reorganize the coaching staff by reassigning existing coaches into different roles, which was something they looked into last year

Nothing but lipstick on a very ugly pig.

With the hiring and firing of all these good coaches, it makes the jets look like complete jokes 

Oh and

prepare for the media to “what did the Jets expect running it back” talk to heat up as soon as this ship starts going sideways 

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, extmenace said:

Jets always get jetted. There is always a “what if” or “should have” with this team.

Like when?  
Like it’s not true tha Rodgers got hurt in game one and missed the entire season?  Hasn’t happened elsewhere and was given as a legit reason for that teams struggles? 
Not having a viable backup was the issue, not coaching.

Theres a certain contingent that won’t admit it because they’re of the tired old fire everyone because it’s simple plan.  And has worked so often before and continuity never makes sense.  

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

prepare for the media to “what did the Jets expect running it back” talk to heat up as soon as this ship starts going sideways 

With Rodgers the ship isn’t going sideways.  

• WTF? 1

42 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

With Rodgers the ship isn’t going sideways.  

Yup relying on the 40 year old on one leg who brung nothing but terrible players with him

Oh and the AFC is the division with all the stud young QBs

Yup I totally understand the optimism 🙄🙄

4 hours ago, doitny said:

we just had our 4th All Rookie in the past 3 years. a really good defense. were not as bad as you think.

you see when the predictions come out in the summer they will all have us making the playoffs because of Rodgers. 

7 wins with the worst QB room you got to believe we can get to 10 wins with Rodgers.

the problem i think is with Woody. there is a possibility that even with the playoffs if we go one and out he might still fire everyone. you just dont know with will happen to guys with no contracts after this year.

Rodgers is done.  

Jets are not making the playoffs again until they find a QB.  We’ll be starting over in two years with a new HC and a new GM looking to trade Wilson and Sauce.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Rodgers is done.  

Jets are not making the playoffs again until they find a QB.  We’ll be starting over in two years with a new HC and a new GM looking to trade Wilson and Sauce.

IF they don't make the playoffs and Rodgers is done they will be starting over next year.

McAllister was better. 

I get the Jets job with a lame duck staff isn't particularly appealing, but Stefanski just canned Stump Mitchell when Nick Chubb got hurt.  I mean he had a, what?  Top 5, top 10 rush O the last couple of years.  Chubb gets hurt and they drop off, but Chubb was averaging 6.1 ypc before he got hurt.

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

Yup relying on the 40 year old on one leg who brung nothing but terrible players with him

Oh and the AFC is the division with all the stud young QBs

Yup I totally understand the optimism 🙄🙄

Yup you can complain that he was hurt.  And that he brought a #3 and #5 Wr with him.  So what?  The whole world had us as a SB contender.  He blew out his Achilles, happened.  
AFC East has one great young QB and another that needs a tricked offense and needs great weather to perform and another team that doesn’t have a QB.  Oh and the fish haven’t won a playoff game in 24 years.  Scary

I totally get your negativity and what any of this has to do with the HC, what would change by firing the HC

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

39 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yup you can complain that he was hurt.  And that he brought a #3 and #5 Wr with him.  So what?  The whole world had us as a SB contender.  He blew out his Achilles, happened.  
AFC East has one great young QB and another that needs a tricked offense and needs great weather to perform and another team that doesn’t have a QB

I totally get your negativity and what any of this has to do with the HC, what would change by firing the HC

That slogan “Play Like a jet” really needs to be changed to “think like the jets”

The jets have won nothing since the 60s and do nothing but gaslight and make sorry excuses, much like yourself.

Keep thinking like the jets 

Make-Up Meme GIF by Justin

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Like when?  
Like it’s not true tha Rodgers got hurt in game one and missed the entire season?  Hasn’t happened elsewhere and was given as a legit reason for that teams struggles? 
Not having a viable backup was the issue, not coaching.

Theres a certain contingent that won’t admit it because they’re of the tired old fire everyone because it’s simple plan.  And has worked so often before and continuity never makes sense.  

This team is a nice mixture of unlucky and making wrong decisions. Nobody is saying anything if Rodgers played 13 or 14 games. The zach back up decision was only exposed and proven to be wrong because we got 4 plays out of Rodgers. Most were at least understanding of the situation the team was in and why Zach was the back up. Fast forward to today and it was the world’s worst decision. My comment mostly was just about how this team gets the worst case scenario way too frequently. 

for the record though, seeing Jordan love play, I can’t really fault the jets for attempting to have Zach sit behind Rodgers. Love definitely has some Rodgers traits in him and looked quite good as the season progressed.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, oatmeal said:

That slogan “Play Like a jet” really needs to be changed to “think like the jets”

The jets have won nothing since the 60s and do nothing but gaslight and make sorry excuses, much like yourself.

Keep thinking like the jets 

Make-Up Meme GIF by Justin

Rodgers getting hurt, missing the season costing them because they didn’t have a viable backup isn’t a sorry excuse.  It’s what cost the season and what it will be remembered for for anyone who has an ounce of football knowledge, isn’t a whiner who sees clowns for what happened.  
Have no idea why play like a Jet would become think like a Jet for understanding this.  Everybody, everywhere does other than a handful here

2 hours ago, extmenace said:

This team is a nice mixture of unlucky and making wrong decisions. Nobody is saying anything if Rodgers played 13 or 14 games. The zach back up decision was only exposed and proven to be wrong because we got 4 plays out of Rodgers. Most were at least understanding of the situation the team was in and why Zach was the back up. Fast forward to today and it was the world’s worst decision. My comment mostly was just about how this team gets the worst case scenario way too frequently. 

for the record though, seeing Jordan love play, I can’t really fault the jets for attempting to have Zach sit behind Rodgers. Love definitely has some Rodgers traits in him and looked quite good as the season progressed.

Exactly.  Jets screwed up in not having a viable backup and ultimately it cost them another season.  I didn’t get it then and still don’t.  The plan was to have Zach sit.  To have him learn under Rodgers.  Well then you had to protect his seat on the bench by having him the 3rd option off the bench and they should have picked up another vet to sit in between whichever vet took over for Rodgers to keep Zach 3rd again.  Made no sense to throw him in game one and decide he would start for another whole season.  Exactly what you were trying to avoid.  

• Sympathy 1