Michael Pratt, Ladd McConkey day 2 targets

I think it’s a forgone conclusion that we are drafting a tackle in the first round. But, if the opportunity is there to trade back and still get one of the many good tackles in this upcoming draft, I think picking up a 2nd round pick and taking one of, WR Ladd McConkey or QB Michael Pratt in the 2nd/3rd rounds, would be smart, in my opinion.

Already impressing at the senior bowl, Pratt is the kind of QB that could be obtainable. He isn’t the elite talent of the 1st round QBs but he has the talent to be a 1-2 year bench warmer, while AR8 brings us to the playoffs the next couple of years. Good size and solid pocket presence. Smart kid with a toughness that you didn’t see in some of our recent QB draft picks. He has a chance to drop to the 3rd round. I would take him there, if we have satisfied our other needs. 

McConkey might not be obtainable, if we don’t pick up the 2nd round pick from a trade down or an outright trade. Personally think he will move up the boards, prior to the draft. He has the pedigree and the talent, coming from a championship team, that we could pair with Garrett Wilson for years to come. Plus he is a slot receiver, something that might allow us to sign a big outside possession WR in free agency, giving Aaron more weapons. 

Personally I think Fuaga or a comparable OT drops to 18-24 in the draft. A perfect strategy would be to trade #10 to a team looking for one of the QBs or WRs, not going too far back and swiping Fuaga or another tackle later in the 1st. We have too many holes to have 1 pick in the first 70 picks. Another day 2 pick would be golden. 

That being said, what we do in free agency with WRs and OTs will definitely be interesting and with Aaron present, a big named WR along with a vet OT, would make it easier to justify picking a QB on day 2. Just my two cents. Someone ask Aaron if it’s ok. Let me know. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

They have maybe two seasons to win with Rodgers and save their jobs. Drafting a QB in the second would be suicide. They need to fix the oline through FA and the draft and bring in more offensive weapons. They're not drafting for the future of this team, they’re drafting to win now. 

6 hours ago, Jdeet said:

I think it’s a forgone conclusion that we are drafting a tackle in the first round. But, if the opportunity is there to trade back and still get one of the many good tackles in this upcoming draft, I think picking up a 2nd round pick and taking one of, WR Ladd McConkey or QB Michael Pratt in the 2nd/3rd rounds, would be smart, in my opinion.

Already impressing at the senior bowl, Pratt is the kind of QB that could be obtainable. He isn’t the elite talent of the 1st round QBs but he has the talent to be a 1-2 year bench warmer, while AR8 brings us to the playoffs the next couple of years. Good size and solid pocket presence. Smart kid with a toughness that you didn’t see in some of our recent QB draft picks. He has a chance to drop to the 3rd round. I would take him there, if we have satisfied our other needs. 

McConkey might not be obtainable, if we don’t pick up the 2nd round pick from a trade down or an outright trade. Personally think he will move up the boards, prior to the draft. He has the pedigree and the talent, coming from a championship team, that we could pair with Garrett Wilson for years to come. Plus he is a slot receiver, something that might allow us to sign a big outside possession WR in free agency, giving Aaron more weapons. 

Personally I think Fuaga or a comparable OT drops to 18-24 in the draft. A perfect strategy would be to trade #10 to a team looking for one of the QBs or WRs, not going too far back and swiping Fuaga or another tackle later in the 1st. We have too many holes to have 1 pick in the first 70 picks. Another day 2 pick would be golden. 

That being said, what we do in free agency with WRs and OTs will definitely be interesting and with Aaron present, a big named WR along with a vet OT, would make it easier to justify picking a QB on day 2. Just my two cents. Someone ask Aaron if it’s ok. Let me know. 

Maybe but these moves would be much easier with a second round pick.  If fuaga does drop to fifteen or so there might be a good chance to trade back and pick up the picks.

I don't think any of the other RTs are as safe as Fuaga.  Trading down is definitely a risk.  Latham got abused in the biggest game of his life and Mims is yet another OT with injury concerns.  If we are that desperate for a plug-n-play OT, just stay put and take Fuaga.  You'd think after last year getting leaped by Pittsburgh we wouldn't get cute this time around.  Only way I trade down is if I want a WR in the 1st and all of the top weapons are gone at 10.

Take Fuaga and just get it over with, IMO.....unless Bowers is there, of course.

4 hours ago, New York Mick said:

They have maybe two seasons to win with Rodgers and save their jobs. Drafting a QB in the second would be suicide. They need to fix the oline through FA and the draft and bring in more offensive weapons. They're not drafting for the future of this team, they’re drafting to win now. 

Well if that's the case, they better make a very good decision on who they bring in to back up Aaron Rodgers. Late round flyer on a QB that shows some ability, to 100% not see the field until Rodgers leaves. I mean Joe Douglas is way more likely to get lucky finding a kid in the late round than he ever would researching one to take early. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Well if that's the case, they better make a very good decision on who they bring in to back up Aaron Rodgers. Late round flyer on a QB that shows some ability, to 100% not see the field until Rodgers leaves. I mean Joe Douglas is way more likely to get lucky finding a kid in the late round than he ever would researching one to take early. 

If they sign a veteran backup qb in march or april then you know they’re not taking pratt, they’re going to fortify the OL and if it falls apart we will have a new regime and new qb in 2025. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, New York Mick said:

They have maybe two seasons to win with Rodgers and save their jobs. Drafting a QB in the second would be suicide.

So it's your view that the REAL make or break between "Winning with Rodgers" and "Suicide, i.e. Failure"....is how the hypothetical 2024 2nd Round Pick is being used?

I mean, I agree to the point that I don't see JD picking a QB at all, outside the late rounds or UDFA maybe, because they're "all in". 

And they're stupid people doing a poor job trying to save their own short-term asses, lol, with an ignorant Owner too stupid to know the deleterious effects of that kind of thinking/managing.

But between now and then, there is plenty of ability to get O-line if desired. 

In reality, how that 2nd (that we don't have yet) would get used isn't really the make or break going forward.  We COULD get a QB, and still win with Rodgers if JD was good at his job.  But he isn't.  

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

So it's your view that the REAL make or break between "Winning with Rodgers" and "Suicide, i.e. Failure"....is how the hypothetical 2024 2nd Round Pick is being used?

I mean, I agree to the point that I don't see JD picking a QB at all, outside the late rounds or UDFA maybe, because they're "all in". 

And they're stupid people doing a poor job trying to save their own short-term asses, lol, with an ignorant Owner too stupid to know the deleterious effects of that kind of thinking/managing.

But between now and then, there is plenty of ability to get O-line if desired. 

In reality, how that 2nd (that we don't have yet) would get used isn't really the make or break going forward.  We COULD get a QB, and still win with Rodgers if JD was good at his job.  But he isn't.  

FA is going to decide what really happens next season. There’s no way a bunch of rookie oline are going to help this team win. A rookie WR or TE can make a big impact through. A rookie QB that won’t see the field will might zero impact. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

I’m guessing a FA vet at backup QB and hopefully a few starting FA linemen. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

FA is going to decide what really happens next season. There’s no way a bunch of rookie oline are going to help this team win. A rookie WR or TE can make a big impact through. A rookie QB that won’t see the field will might zero impact. 

If you got the right Olineman in the draft, I could see them working out immediately, that's not an impossibility, good teams have rookie Oline from time to time.  Even non-1sts OL have played meaningful time for good teams before.

It used to be rookie WR's never were impacts in year 1, but that's changed alot over time.  Same for TE, they could hit immediately.

But yes, a QB is no-impact year one.  But could be the biggest impact years 3-5 and beyond.  Which is why having a lame duck GM is so dangerous.  QB might be the "right" choice, objectively, but it's unlikely a choice JD will make trying to win now and save his job.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Definitely not drafting for the future, yet don’t think they are drafting to win now. It honestly seems like most of their decisions are based on just keeping their jobs, so far, so good I guess? 

23 hours ago, Warfish said:

It used to be rookie WR's never were impacts in year 1, but that's changed alot over time.  Same for TE, they could hit immediately.

I think drafting an OL in the 1st and especially letting JD choose another 1st RD OL, when he has consistently failed at OL evaluation is completely idiotic. And what you said there is at the core of it. In addition to playmakers being able to contribute the OL position has changed dramatically as well. OL is a VERY risky pick in the first now. We need to take a playmaker

• Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

I think drafting an OL in the 1st and especially letting JD choose another 1st RD OL, when he has consistently failed at OL evaluation is completely idiotic. And what you said there is at the core of it. In addition to playmakers being able to contribute the OL position has changed dramatically as well. OL is a VERY risky pick in the first now. We need to take a playmaker

Disagree. AVT and tippman are both good.  We don’t know if warren will contribute.  Being objective his evaluations of OL are hit and miss.  

Disagree that Fuaga will drop. I think he is riser. Most expect him to go late teens right now, I think he could go top 10 depending on how early the top 2  Ts go and if he can show enough athleticism to potentially be a swing tackle. 

I also think there are better WR prospects that will be available if we end up trading down and recouping a 2nd rounder. Yes, the Senior Bowl participants are making a name for themselves right now but I think if any of the following guys are there in Rd 2 I am probably taking them over McConkey: Worthy, Walker, Thomas Jr, Franklin, maybe even Polk.

Which leads me to my next point. The Jets can probably wait until Rd. 3 to take a WR with the insane depth of WR talent in this draft. Rd. 2 should be for another O-lineman (again, assuming we trade down and acquire a 2nd rd pick). A T, a G, or even a C - with the plan to move Tippy to G. If we can get Fuaga and a guy like Barton in rd. 2 with the intention of moving Barton to G that would be a great start to the draft and probably still give us the opportunity to draft a quality receiver like B. Rice, or Ricky Pearsall or Roman Wilson in Rd. 3.   

JMHO

On 1/31/2024 at 2:43 AM, Jdeet said:

QB Michael Pratt in the 2nd/3rd rounds, would be smart, in my opinion.

I think that it is a foregone conclusion that the Jets have the talent to make the next step to the playoffs, with a closing window with Aaron Rodgers at the helm. 

Using a 2nd round pick on a QB, when the Jets desperately need multiple players for the offensive line, and at wide receiver, makes getting a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round is a non-starter to me.

I do not agree that this is a smart idea.  Yes, the Jets must think about the future, and the future starts with protecting whoever is the QB.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alka said:

I think that it is a foregone conclusion that the Jets have the talent to make the next step to the playoffs, with a closing window with Aaron Rodgers at the helm. 

Using a 2nd round pick on a QB, when the Jets desperately need multiple players for the offensive line, and at wide receiver, makes getting a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round is a non-starter to me.

I do not agree that this is a smart idea.  Yes, the Jets must think about the future, and the future starts with protecting whoever is the QB.  

This is what the Jets have not done since Sanchez.

The Jets drafted a flawed QB in Sanchez, put him behind the NFL’s best OL, and went to the AFCCG two years in a row.  

When that line eventually declined, the Jets FO should have been actively replacing it.   That wa SA little hard to do in the beginning because guys like Mangold and Brick were given huge contracts that were tough to get out of.  Tanny did that to keep them, probably longer than he should have, because they were important.  My guess is that it was also important to Woody that both of them always be Jets.   He nick-named his son Brick, which is up there with Saleh having AR8 on his phone.  

The Jets need to keep drafting OL until they have one.   Then they can bring in a QB, WRs, etc. 

• Upvote 1

I'm content with just waiting on QB til next year.  Let whoever the next regime ends up being take their guy.  If you want to throw a dart at a kid like Jordan Travis in the 4th this year, that's fine.  I don't think I'd go after anyone else though.  Only way I consider it is if one of the top-3 somehow slip to 10.  I highly doubt that happens though.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Alka said:

If they get another day 2 pick, not necessarily a 2nd rounder, they should definitely consider using it on a qb like pratt.  That’s the type of qb they don’t draft, guys who can play the position but don’t have all star potential.  Take that guy, the guy who can throw an 8 yard slant accurately.  Take the guy who knows when to throw it away and when to run.  Those yards add up.  Put him behind a decent OL and that defense and you’re in games.  

They're not drafting a QB even though it's in the best interests of the franchise because they're either making the playoffs in 2024 or they're getting fired. Also Rodgers is a tiny baby bird whose feelings must be protected at all costs.

There is no way I'm spending a draft pick on a person named "Ladd McConkey."

22 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Doubt he makes it out of round 3. 

Agreed, he is at worst a 3rd rounder and if he continues to impress at the senior bowl could go higher.

Personally if we dont want to invest a first round pick in a QB, pratt would be a great player to sit behind rogers.  He has a lot of starting experience and could benefit from a year on the bench behind rogers.

14 hours ago, PepPep said:

Disagree that Fuaga will drop. I think he is riser. Most expect him to go late teens right now, I think he could go top 10 depending on how early the top 2  Ts go and if he can show enough athleticism to potentially be a swing tackle. 

I also think there are better WR prospects that will be available if we end up trading down and recouping a 2nd rounder. Yes, the Senior Bowl participants are making a name for themselves right now but I think if any of the following guys are there in Rd 2 I am probably taking them over McConkey: Worthy, Walker, Thomas Jr, Franklin, maybe even Polk.

Which leads me to my next point. The Jets can probably wait until Rd. 3 to take a WR with the insane depth of WR talent in this draft. Rd. 2 should be for another O-lineman (again, assuming we trade down and acquire a 2nd rd pick). A T, a G, or even a C - with the plan to move Tippy to G. If we can get Fuaga and a guy like Barton in rd. 2 with the intention of moving Barton to G that would be a great start to the draft and probably still give us the opportunity to draft a quality receiver like B. Rice, or Ricky Pearsall or Roman Wilson in Rd. 3.   

JMHO

Yeah.  I don't even know if he is a riser.  I have seen him listed as a top 10 or top 15 pick for ages.  Some of that may be all the Joe Douglas chatter, but still...

• Upvote 1

Reading through some of the senior bowl notes it seems like there are a LOT of good lineman in this draft.

Fuaga and Guyton were both listed as risers at OT and Christian Haynes and Jackson Powers-Johnson had great weeks as IOL.

Lets pray that JD trades down and can possibly fill a few spots with some guys they know from the senior bowl practices.

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

If they get another day 2 pick, not necessarily a 2nd rounder, they should definitely consider using it on a qb like pratt.  That’s the type of qb they don’t draft, guys who can play the position but don’t have all star potential.  Take that guy, the guy who can throw an 8 yard slant accurately.  Take the guy who knows when to throw it away and when to run.  Those yards add up.  Put him behind a decent OL and that defense and you’re in games.  

Only guy I can think of that reminds me of what you’re describing is Kellen Clemens. We haven’t had luck with QBs no matter where we pick them, or what caliber of prospect they fall under.