College football hires....

After Bill O'Brien bailed on Ohio State OC job he becomes Boston College head coach.

Chip Kelly moves on from UCLA to assume the Ohio State OC job. (not 100% confirmed)

Wink Martindale becomes the Michigan DC (not 100% confirmed)

Many slightly strange moves this year and really adds credence to the thought that a lot of college coaches are saying F'ck it re the whole NIL and transfer portal stuff.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Not 100% in tune with it but don’t understand the kelly move unless he is positioning to be hc there someday

He interviewed for a number of NFL oc jobs.

Probably figured oc at a place like osu and success would lead back to the NFL more than ucla where he has to fight for every player and might get axed soon anyways.

1 hour ago, Trotter said:

Not 100% in tune with it but don’t understand the kelly move unless he is positioning to be hc there someday

24 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He interviewed for a number of NFL oc jobs.

Probably figured oc at a place like osu and success would lead back to the NFL more than ucla where he has to fight for every player and might get axed soon anyways.

I think Kelly was in “thin ice” at UCLA and he’s been known to hate recruiting since forever so the most recent NIL developments have probably really turned him off to college. I think he desperately wants to go back to the NFL but would rather be an OC at an elite program (where he doesn’t need to do the recruiting) and views that as his fast track to an NFL job.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

With he regard to Wink — feels like a short term thing (I doubt he wants to stay in college) but Michigan love ex-Ravens guys.

I wonder how much him burning bridges in the NFL forced this move though. Giants have a lot of pull/sway and he shredded them.

Plus the fact that the Ravens didn’t miss a beat after he left.

• Upvote 2

A college football head coaching gig is not the career long gig that it used to be. The transfer portal, NIL complexities, along with the new mega conferences are making the once cushy gigs, not so cushy any more.

It will be interesting to see what comes out of the SEC and BIG10 consortium as they will most likely render the NCAA useless. 

The great coaches will be funneled more to the NFL.  

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

On the one hand, you have sympathy for these coaches where every kid with a pulse is getting spammed with NIL offers from competing programs every minute, but on the other hand, the alternative was that these extremely wealthy coaches can no longer tell a recruit that he has him by the balls for four years no matter what, and if that coach decides he wants to take a different job, it’s **** you, kid. 

Also:  Free agency with no salary cap whatsoever >>>> Underground cheating at every turn.

Cheating still happens of course but at least its a little more transparent...

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Also:  Free agency with no salary cap whatsoever >>>> Underground cheating at every turn.

Cheating still happens of course but at least its a little more transparent...

The team that just won the Natty had their OC coach 6 games because Harbough was suspended.Life is good  if you play ball with the NCAA.

• Upvote 1

One more thing:  Unless I’m mistaken, scholarships really aren’t 4-year agreements.  They’re year to year and as we know they can be pulled at any time for any reason by programs.

These kids were always by and large de facto school employees.  It’s only now that they’re finally treated as such.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2024 at 12:09 PM, T0mShane said:

On the one hand, you have sympathy for these coaches where every kid with a pulse is getting spammed with NIL offers from competing programs every minute, but on the other hand, the alternative was that these extremely wealthy coaches can no longer tell a recruit that he has him by the balls for four years no matter what, and if that coach decides he wants to take a different job, it’s **** you, kid. 

I absolutely loved all of this until Cam Spencer transfered to UConn and now I think this is the most unjust system that has existed for humans since the reign of Ceausescu. 

15 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I absolutely loved all of this until Cam Spencer transfered to UConn and now I think this is the most unjust system that has existed for humans since the reign of Ceausescu. 

Sure, pick on Romania.  Freaking bully.

• Haha 1