SB came down to this

11 hours ago, jetsfan4life72 said:

Bosa had an almost perfect game.  Unfortunately the one bad play was a 4th down misread that lead to the Mahomes 1st down scramble.  67/68 but that one play he wasn't perfect it lead to an eventual score.

Good point, totally agree Bosa had an excellent game but bit hard on that read option and if I remember, broke contain once down near the goal line. 

23 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

Purdy had a solid game against a very good KC defense.  He didn't wilt under the pressure.

Amazing how differently folks see the same events.

Purdy, to my eyes, looking unready and unqualified for the moment.  A decent game manager QB utterly unable to rise to the big stage or make anything happen via his own personal play.  Exposed, one might say.  He wilted under pressure several times, throwing a number of truly Pennington-esque duck-balls nowhere near his receivers, made damn few big throws, and was behind his receivers on several key passes during the game.

I get it, compared to what WE have had at QB in recent years, Purdy looks like a stud.  But he was no stud on Sunday night.  It was clear that team was literally carried by McCaffrey, their other skill players and their D, not too dissimilar to how Sanchez was carried by the collective Jets roster in 2009 and 2010.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, PepPep said:

It came down to Purdy vs. Mahomes. Simple as that. Mahomes is simply a better, more talented QB with way bigger playmaking ability. He took his team down the field and punched it in while the niners could only muster a FG. When you boil it down - THAT is what made the difference.  

It came down to a muffed punt and missed extra point.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Purdy, to my eyes, looking unready and unqualified for the moment.  A decent game manager QB utterly unable to rise to the big stage or make anything happen via his own personal play.  Exposed, one might say.  He wilted under pressure several times, throwing a number of truly Pennington-esque duck-balls nowhere near his receivers, made damn few big throws, and was behind his receivers on several key passes during the game.

I get it, compared to what WE have had at QB in recent years, Purdy looks like a stud.  But he was no stud on Sunday night.  It was clear that team was literally carried by McCaffrey, their other skill players and their D, not too dissimilar to how Sanchez was carried by the collective Jets roster in 2009 and 2010.

Your eyes or your narrative?  This is a ******* joke.  Wilted under pressure?  The Chiefs took the lead at the end of the 3rd after ST spit up the ball and the D immediately gave up a 16 yard TD.  From that point, down 13-10:

Purdy leads them on a 75 yard TD drive.  He is 5 of 7 for 60 yards.  Moody low balls the PAT.

The Chiefs kick a FG to tie and SF goes 40 yards to kick the FG for the lead inside of two minutes.  He is 2/3 for 23 yards.  

The Chiefs tie and go to OT.  Purdy drives them 66 yards to take the lead.  He is 4/5 for 50 yards.  

Wilted my ass.  They scored the last three times they had the ball.  They did not lose the game because they were unable to score.  Purdy did not have the ball in his hands when it ended.

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Your eyes or your narrative?  This is a ******* joke.  Wilted under pressure?  The Chiefs took the lead at the end of the 3rd after ST spit up the ball and the D immediately gave up a 16 yard TD.  From that point, down 13-10:

Purdy leads them on a 75 yard TD drive.  He is 5 of 7 for 60 yards.  Moody low balls the PAT.

The Chiefs kick a FG to tie and SF goes 40 yards to kick the FG for the lead inside of two minutes.  He is 2/3 for 23 yards.  

The Chiefs tie and go to OT.  Purdy drives them 66 yards to take the lead.  He is 4/5 for 50 yards.  

Wilted my ass.  They scored the last three times they had the ball.  They did not lose the game because they were unable to score.  Purdy did not have the ball in his hands when it ended.

Running the  ball on 2nd and 4 was a mistake and then the line just forgot to block Jones on 3rd down. Purdy didn’t even get a shot to throw the ball into the EZ. The play he made on the dump off to McCafrey earlier in the drive was great. As was the throw down the sideline to the fullback. Purdy played a lot better against that defense than Lamar, Allen and Tua. The hate he’s getting makes legit zero sense. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Your eyes or your narrative?  This is a ******* joke. 

My eyes, and sorry you feel that way, but like I said, different folks see things different ways.  I really like Purdy, was rooting for him hard Sunday, wanted to see him beat Mahomes and win a title, would have been an amazing story.

What I saw was mediocre/average game-manager QB play, nothing a dozen+ other NFL QB's couldn't have done or exceeded.  At no point did I see Purdy LEAD his offense, and at several points I saw him let it down.

McCaffrey tho is a HOF'er, that much was clear.  Purdy?  The Purdy I saw will never win a Super Bowl, and looked (as I said) like a guy who maybe has been more carried by the best roster in football than folks want to admit.

If you feel differently, great.  I freely admit what I'm saying is pure opinion (no analytics involved) based on watching the game only.  Makes no difference to me either way if others think he was great on Sunday, by all means feel free to think that. :)  He won't be playing for us anytime soon, so it's a moot point to me.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Running the  ball on 2nd and 4 was a mistake and then the line just forgot to block Jones on 3rd down. Purdy didn’t even get a shot to throw the ball into the EZ. The play he made on the dump off to McCafrey earlier in the drive was great. As was the throw down the sideline to the fullback. Purdy played a lot better against that defense than Lamar, Allen and Tua. The hate he’s getting makes legit zero sense. 

Right.  McCaffrey carried them.  People forget that while McCaffrey was carrying them on that first drive (he was running great) Purdy was 2/2 for 29 yards when McCaffrey spit it up inside the Chiefs 30.  Another 3 free points that would have won them the game. 

I guess the issue is that Purdy is the kind of QB that makes his skill position players look great.  Not sure when that became an insult.  Montana was the same way.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Purdy, like Garoppolo and like Tua, benefit from a plug and play system that rewards smart QBs who can navigate the middle of the field effectively. Purdy, unlike the other two, has a little something to him on second reaction stuff, but he’s not someone who’d going to merit the $50 million dollar contract extension when it comes time. Spagnuolo rightly saw that you can get after him with the blitz, and held him to 3-of-12 on third down conversions. Purdy is maxed out as a QB and this is as good as he’s gonna get, and he’s surrounded by an All Pro team at his skill positions. Kudos to the Niners for finding another QB12(?), but it’s going to ruin them in the end, again, as it will in Miami. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

23 hours ago, DJF71 said:

Shanny stopped running the ball and that's what cost them the game. 

Someone mentioned it yesterday but they said it felt like they wanted Purdy to be the hero and “win” the game so Purdy gets the credit. 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Purdy, like Garoppolo and like Tua, benefit from a plug and play system that rewards smart QBs who can navigate the middle of the field effectively. Purdy, unlike the other two, has a little something to him on second reaction stuff, but he’s not someone who’d going to merit the $50 million dollar contract extension when it comes time. Spagnuolo rightly saw that you can get after him with the blitz, and held him to 3-of-12 on third down conversions. Purdy is maxed out as a QB and this is as good as he’s gonna get, and he’s surrounded by an All Pro team at his skill positions. Kudos to the Niners for finding another QB12(?), but it’s going to ruin them in the end, again, as it will in Miami. 

Deebo played like trash on Sunday. Maxed out? He’s 24 and has had a better start than basically every QB in league history. The commentary on Purdy has become so strange. Lamar Jackson has played like absolutely dog sh*t in virtually every playoff game and no one seems to bat an eye. The Chiefs had a great defense and Purdy outplayed every AFC QB against the same defense.

He’s 24 and has had a better start than basically every QB in league history.

Purdy outplayed every AFC QB against the same defense.

For both quotes, by what metric(s) are you making these claims?

4 minutes ago, August said:

Someone mentioned it yesterday but they said it felt like they wanted Purdy to be the hero and “win” the game so Purdy gets the credit. 

McCafrey was averaging under 4 YPC. He got the ball plenty and got the ball on 2nd and 4 on their last drive near the EZ. 

Brock Purdy did not look out of place on Sunday. The Chiefs defense is legit and he did what he had to do to put them in a position to win the game.

The last time he touched the ball, he was winning. Not sure what more you can ask of your QB.

• Upvote 4

56 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Agree to disagree.

And I don't see anyone claiming he was a stud. I specifically said he had a solid game.

The Chiefs defense has been sneaky good all season long. I don't think the moment was too big for him,  and all things considered,  he navigated his way through the game relatively well.

If I had to compare Purdy to someone, it would be early years Brady. Composed, surrounded by a very good team, takes care of the football, and can make some impressive throws when called upon. He's not a check down machine and will keep a defense honest by stretching the field.

Will he turn into what Brady did? Probably not, but the similarities at the respective points of their careers are legitimate in my opinion. And not surprisingly, the same exact criticisms of Purdy were being made about Brady at the time.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

If you really want to k own what made the difference in that sense, Moody makes the PA, their is no OT. 

Eh, I disagree. Yes, if you are going to put it down to one play, sure, you could argue that. But then you can argue it could have been any number of plays. Any number of missed FGs or penalties that were or were not called or drops or catches or whatever. Maybe had the Niners MADE that extra point, the Chiefs are forced to go for it on 4th instead of kicking a FG and they end up winning the game before OT. They were in the Red Zone and went for the chip shot FG b/c they were only down by 3. 

I'm looking at the game as a whole and what it came down to - IN THE END - was Mahomes being a better, more talent, bigger playmaker than Purdy.  JMHO. 

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

For example?

Touchdowns, YPA, YPC, sack rate, dvoa, dyar,  record.

as far as this years playoffs, the only QB you could argue who played better against KC’s defense was Allen, who got screwed on a Diggs drop. That’s all very recent so it’s not really needed to be explained anyways 

18 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Agree to disagree.

Happily!  

And I don't see anyone claiming he was a stud.

Because that would be obviously laughable.

I specifically said he had a solid game.

My view wasn't intended to contest anyone else's opinion, it was only giving my own perspective of what I saw, which looked very Chad Pennington-meets-Mark Sanchez.

The Chiefs defense has been sneaky good all season long. I don't think the moment was too big for him,  and all things considered,  he navigated his way through the game relatively well.

With a 10x better roster, Purdy couldn't out-do what Zach Wilson did against the same Chiefs defense.

Forgive my lack of being hugely impressed.  With the game on the line several times, Purdy couldn't lead a TD drive.

If I had to compare Purdy to someone, it would be early years Brady.

If I had to wager (I'm not a gambling man) Id; wager Purdy will never win a Super Bowl in his career. 

I'd almost want to wager that he never plays in another one at this point, as the 49'ers inevitably start losing guys to FA. 

Time will tell.

Composed, surrounded by a very good team, takes care of the football, and can make some impressive throws when called upon. He's not a check down machine and will keep a defense honest by stretching the field.

Will he turn into what Brady did? Probably not, but the similarities at the respective points of their careers are legitimate in my opinion. And not surprisingly, the same exact criticisms of Purdy were being made about Brady at the time.

Guess we'll see.

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Deebo played like trash on Sunday. Maxed out? He’s 24 and has had a better start than basically every QB in league history. The commentary on Purdy has become so strange. Lamar Jackson has played like absolutely dog sh*t in virtually every playoff game and no one seems to bat an eye. The Chiefs had a great defense and Purdy outplayed every AFC QB against the same defense.

He’s not getting bigger, or faster, and his arm isn’t getting any better. His superpower is his processing speed and that he played a million snaps at Iowa State. He’ll get more snaps and experience here, which will help, but the physical limitations are still gonna be there when the rest of the offensive talent starts peeling off. Deebo had a rough game, so he was able to throw it to his other All Pro receiver…or his All Pro tight end…of his All Pro running back. And I’m not the biggest Lamar guy, but when these teams went head to head, Lamar locked up the MVP while Purdy threw four picks and got yanked for Sam Darnold. Should also point out that Lamar is only 27, if we’re bringing age into it. Purdy is a nice player, but there’s a hard ceiling on that guy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Yep, you are going to need a QB that don;t blink under pressure in the post season to beat Mahommes, Reid and that caveman TE that use to star in the Geico commercials.

• Upvote 1

He’s not getting bigger, or faster, and his arm isn’t getting any better. His superpower is his processing speed and that he played a million snaps at Iowa State. He’ll get more snaps and experience here, which will help, but the physical limitations are still gonna be there when the rest of the offensive talent starts peeling off. Deebo had a rough game, so he was able to throw it to his other All Pro receiver…or his All Pro tight end…of his All Pro running back. And I’m not the biggest Lamar guy, but when these teams went head to head, Lamar locked up the MVP while Purdy threw four picks and got yanked for Sam Darnold. Should also point out that Lamar is only 27, if we’re bringing age into it. Purdy is a nice player, but there’s a hard ceiling on that guy.

We can save this. The Niners will be the odds on favorite to win the NFC again next season. There’s no indication that Purdys play will drop off. This stuff never gets thrown at Burrow either, who can’t even stay healthy.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

Touchdowns

Purdy has 44 TD's in his first two seasons.

That's not remotely "a better start than basically every QB in league history" in terms of TD's.

Mahomes had 50 despite not playing his first year.

Manning had 52 despite being pretty average his first two seasons.

Baker f'ing Mayfield had 49 his first two years.

I swear, I can't take anything you say seriously at this point, you just say sh*t entirely unsupported by the facts.

• Haha 1

Purdy is a nice player, but there’s a hard ceiling on that guy.

He’s not getting bigger, or faster, and his arm isn’t getting any better. His superpower is his processing speed and that he played a million snaps at Iowa State. He’ll get more snaps and experience here, which will help, but the physical limitations are still gonna be there when the rest of the offensive talent starts peeling off. Deebo had a rough game, so he was able to throw it to his other All Pro receiver…or his All Pro tight end…of his All Pro running back. And I’m not the biggest Lamar guy, but when these teams went head to head, Lamar locked up the MVP while Purdy threw four picks and got yanked for Sam Darnold. Should also point out that Lamar is only 27, if we’re bringing age into it.

I remember the exact same things being said about Brady this far into Brad's career as well.  I wouldn't make the risky assumptions you make in the above argument. 

• Upvote 1

We can save this. The Niners will be the odds on favorite to win the NFC again next season. There’s no indication that Purdys play will drop off. This stuff never gets thrown at Burrow either, who can’t even stay healthy.

Would you rather give $50 mil per to Burrow or Purdy? 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Purdy has 44 TD's in his first two seasons.

That's not remotely "a better start than basically every QB in league history" in terms of TD's.

Mahomes had 50 despite not playing his first year.

Manning had 52 despite being pretty average his first two seasons.

Baker f'ing Mayfield had 49 his first two years.

I swear, I can't take anything you say seriously at this point, you just say sh*t entirely unsupported by the facts.

Perhaps you shouldn’t have cut off the post and responded to the whole thing. Mahomes and Marino are the only two with better starts over their first 21 games (which I already pointed out). Maning threw 43 interceptions over his first two seasons.

do an apples to apples over 21 starts, not seasons. Purdy would outpace Baker and Peyton’s touchdown totals anyways 

52 minutes ago, Biggs said:

It came down to a muffed punt and missed extra point.

Again. Disagree. It could not have possibly truly come down to JUST those two plays because the game went into overtime. Right? It was anybody's game in overtime. In fact, the niners won the coin toss and had a chance to score a TD first and put the pressure on the Chiefs. 

That's why I rarely attribute any one or two plays to a loss. Teams almost always have an opportunity to come back from them. There were no game losing plays in this game.