JetNation Prospect Profile: Oregon State OT Taliese Fuaga

Fuaga.jpg

A recent story from Rich Cimini of ESPN New York connected the Jets to Oregon State OT Taliese Fuaga where the team is reportedly very interested.  Joe Douglas’ need to add talent on the offensive line and Fuaga would be a good place to start.  In fact, NFL Draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah mocked Fuaga to the Jets in his first mock of the year.

Apple of his eye? #Jets GM Joe Douglas has an affinity for Oregon State OT Taliese Fuaga, according to buzz in scouting circles. Has been eyeing him for months, I’m told. Fuaga is attending the Senior Bowl this week.

— Rich Cimini (@RichCimini) January 30, 2024

With that, we kick off the 2024 JetNation.com player prospect profiles with Taliese Fuaga.

Height: 6057

Weight: 332

Hand Size: 10 2/8

Arm Size: 33 3/8

Wingspan: 81 4/8

Hometown: Tacoma, Wash.

High School: Mount Tahoma

Class: Junior

Recruit: Three star prospect per Rivals and 247 sports.

Film Study

Games Watched: Washington State, Oregon, Utah, Senior Bowl Practice Sessions

• Balance: Fuaga shows impressive balance for a big man and rarely finds himself on the ground or over-extended.  This was consistently on display in Mobile as well.
  • Pass Protection:  Not quite as adept here as he is as a run blocker but plenty good enough to be viewed as one of the top tackles in this class.  Shows good bend but not enough to see a move to the left side which is a question many seem to be asking.
  • Run Blocking: A monster in the run game, Fuaga fires off the ball and manages to take out defenders at both the first and second level.  A tone setter in the run game, this is where he’ll pay immediate dividends.

If the @nyjets end up trading down in the first round, they should make sure they don't drop too far to lose out on a shot at @beaverfootball OT Taliese Fuaga. Nasty tone setter in the trenches. pic.twitter.com/NigKDnaAwx

— Glenn Naughton (@JetsPicks) December 8, 2023

• Lateral Mobility/Athleticism: More athletic than one would expect for a 320+ pound lineman, Fuaga moves smoothly in pass pro and at times makes it look easy.  Almost reminiscent of Jets lineman Alijah Vera-Tucker who was so dominant in college that it looked like he was toying with his opponents.
  • Point of Attack Power: Combination of strength/power and effort are a big part of what makes Fuaga special.  He’s going to be fun to watch at the combine in Indy.
  • Hands: More often that not it’s going to be “game over” for defenders who let Fuaga get his hands on them.  Shows the ability to move bodies at the line of scrimmage once his grip is established.

Both Oregon State offensive tackles are legit NFL Draft prospects.

Here’s a look at what defines #75 RT Taliese Fuaga: raw power. When he gets hands on you, it doesn’t end well for the defender. pic.twitter.com/N9VwHulyVu

— Field Yates (@FieldYates) October 20, 2023

• Anchor: Rarely beaten or even remotely overmatched against bull/power rushers and can drop anchor when needed.
  • Strength: Plenty strong enough upper body and hands to redirect or get defenders off balance at first contact.  Strong as a ox in his lower half, allowing him to drive defenders out of the play.
  • Size: Fuaga’s ability to do much of the above is only made that much more impressive given is 6′ 6” 334lb frame.
  • Versatility: Fuaga has played exclusively at right tackle but could likely move inside to guard if asked.  A transition to left tackle is unlikely.

Summary:

Fuaga is a player who saw his draft stock rise throughout the course of the college football season and has been mentioned as a possible top 10 pick in the 2024 draft.  In fact, several pundits are currently mocking Fuaga to Gang Green at pick 10.  The folks at the Draft Network also listed the Jets as one of 3 ideal fits for Fuaga.

As one would expect from the tenth overall pick, Fuaga would be a day 1 starter and offer an immediate upgrade at a position of need.

Should a player of Taliese Fuaga’s status come aboard with a (hopefully) healthy Alijah Vera-Tucker and Joe Tippmann, the Jets would have a very good trio up front to build around.

The post JetNation Prospect Profile: Oregon State OT Taliese Fuaga appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

11 hours ago, GKnight83 said:

OK. So, what happens in he and LSU QB both on the board at 10. Who you choose?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

They have a 1-2 year window after going all in with Rodgers.  They are not drafting a guy to sit behind Rodgers before getting him some support.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, GKnight83 said:

OK. So, what happens in he and LSU QB both on the board at 10. Who you choose?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

If the JETS are dead set against drafting a QB up top, then like Rob says, you try and get as many trade partners you can, and take the best deal. However Daniels should and won't drop to #10, so it's a moot point.

• Upvote 2

IMO Fuaga is a high floor player that will be a mediocre tackle and a really good guard. If the Jets had a better situation at OT I'd be fine selecting him, but I think he is a bad fit for what the current team needs. Right now he masks below average feet by consistently relying upon a jump set in pass pro, but savvy NFL pass rushers are going to eat him alive by faking outside then crossing his face. 

1 hour ago, 68JET11 said:

If the JETS are dead set against drafting a QB up top, then like Rob says, you try and get as many trade partners you can, and take the best deal. However Daniels should and won't drop to #10, so it's a moot point.

We have been doing mock drafts at lunch for some fun.  Tuesdays draft was the first time Daniels has fallen to 10.

The debate at work has been BAP or need.

Need has been the popular choice u until now.

I'd be happy with Fuaga, but if Olu is there he should be the pick.  He's the most pro-ready pass blocking OT.  Plus he plays the more valuable LT position.  If this is truly a "win-now" pick, that should make Fashanu even more valuable to us.  It's starting to look more likely that he'll actually be there at 10.  If the QBs go top-3 and LAC don't go with a tackle, my guess is he'll be there.  Fuaga would be a nice consolation prize though.  

Sign an OT that can play either LT or RT so you aren't locked in to looking for one or the other at 10th overall.  Pretty sure Tyron Smith and Trent Brown both would qualify.  

That said hopefully we sign two OTs in free agency and can truly go BPA at 10(Bowers).

4 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I'd be happy with Fuaga, but if Olu is there he should be the pick.  He's the most pro-ready pass blocking OT.  Plus he plays the more valuable LT position.  If this is truly a "win-now" pick, that should make Fashanu even more valuable to us.  It's starting to look more likely that he'll actually be there at 10.  If the QBs go top-3 and LAC don't go with a tackle, my guess is he'll be there.  Fuaga would be a nice consolation prize though.  

Sign an OT that can play either LT or RT so you aren't locked in to looking for one or the other at 10th overall.  Pretty sure Tyron Smith and Trent Brown both would qualify.  

That said hopefully we sign two OTs in free agency and can truly go BPA at 10(Bowers).

With mccarthy squarely in the mix to be a top 10 pick, it makes it even more likely that fashanu is there.  And truth, even if he is, the jets may be able to trade back a few spots, get a 2nd rounder and still get a good tackle.  IMO that’s the best use of the draft pick.  If they can turn that pick into a good tackle like fuaga and also then get a 2nd rounder and use that on a wr, that would essentially be recouping the 2nd they gave to GB.  

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

With mccarthy squarely in the mix to be a top 10 pick, it makes it even more likely that fashanu is there.  And truth, even if he is, the jets may be able to trade back a few spots, get a 2nd rounder and still get a good tackle.  IMO that’s the best use of the draft pick.  If they can turn that pick into a good tackle like fuaga and also then get a 2nd rounder and use that on a wr, that would essentially be recouping the 2nd they gave to GB.  

I just can't get on board with this strategy unless they really love a kid like Latham or Mims or Guyton.  Especially if Fashanu is there.  If he's the guy you want, just take him.  With how bad the OL has been I'm not sure we should be getting cute with this.  Just take the dude that you can slot in to LT for the next decade and not have to worry about.

Not having a 2nd sucks but in reality, who cares...we've had so many ******* picks these last few years.  We can survive one year without one.  Take the top talent and make sure you get a legitimate stud OT.  Don't settle for your 3rd option or whatever it ends up being.  

....that said if someone offers a 1st next year to move up, that's a different story.  A 2nd though?  Yeah it's not worth it for me. 

27 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I just can't get on board with this strategy unless they really love a kid like Latham or Mims or Guyton.  Especially if Fashanu is there.  If he's the guy you want, just take him.  With how bad the OL has been I'm not sure we should be getting cute with this.  Just take the dude that you can slot in to LT for the next decade and not have to worry about.

Not having a 2nd sucks but in reality, who cares...we've had so many ******* picks these last few years.  We can survive one year without one.  Take the top talent and make sure you get a legitimate stud OT.  Don't settle for your 3rd option or whatever it ends up being.  

....that said if someone offers a 1st next year to move up, that's a different story.  A 2nd though?  Yeah it's not worth it for me. 

I’d rather have fautanu and a 2nd than just fashanu.  I think the difference between these tackles isn’t a great as is currently being portrayed. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

I’d rather have fautanu and a 2nd than just fashanu.  I think the difference between these tackles isn’t a great as is currently being portrayed. 

This is the type of move that a good GM does to maximize value. 

We will see what we have.  

13 hours ago, GKnight83 said:

We have been doing mock drafts at lunch for some fun.  Tuesdays draft was the first time Daniels has fallen to 10.

The debate at work has been BAP or need.

Need has been the popular choice u until now.

Well need and either of the top 2 OT's would be a great thing to have drop to #10 lol...

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jets and Redskins said:

The two top OT will probably be gone by the time we pick at 10. Trade down or take the best OT or WR.

One of them is falling to us.  Just be patient and stay do not trade back

I like Fuaga but he’s a Right Tackle in the nfl.  But then again we need that too.

6 hours ago, Jets and Redskins said:

The two top OT will probably be gone by the time we pick at 10. Trade down or take the best OT or WR.

Why should the Jets (or anyone) care where the tackle they take is ranked within the tackle class?

People say this stuff every year and it makes no sense.

If there are four or five or six guys at a given position that you have a high level starting grade on, you shouldn't take one of them because two of them were better?

Get a starting tackle and move on if that's what you're looking for.

1 hour ago, TheAustrian said:

if brock bowers is there and you draf thim at 10 you fail and everyone will cry for 10 years about it

The Jets would never be that lucky.

Bowers is gone before pick 10 and he has a shot to be the best TE in the NFL within a few years.

• Upvote 2