Saleh not expected to attend scouting combine ***UPDATE- may be attending now****

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

This isn’t a trade show conference though either. It’s an interview. Do or die season and the Jets don’t appear to be making any adjustments to their offseason approach. For Saleh, sacrificing personal time for work isn’t fun, but this would be the year to do it you would think. 

We have no idea what they're doing so far. Nothing has happened yet lol.

45 minutes ago, bitonti said:

On defense alone he's over performing what they paid for him.

over-performing? says who? That's actually somewhat funny.

The Jets have 4 first round draft picks (including 3 top 5 overall picks) on their defense and the only two all-pro players the Jets have on their roster both play defense.

If their defense wasn't good with Saleh, he'd be out of a job already. And, btw, before Sauce/DJ ReedJJ, the Jets were among the worst defenses in the NFL under Saleh. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Matt39 said:

You get to interview players. Jets are down two executives. Maybe he’s golfing instead. I don’t know. 

Bruh.  Shirley you can’t be serious.  The area scouts spend the entire season gathering information on the top players, how often they go to the weight room, how much they love the game, the skanks they bang, and they develop relationships with the coaches so they get real actual information.  The coaches don’t always just hype the kid up. 
The kids going to the combine are coached up on the interviews.  All you are going to hear is prepared answers. 
If Saleh wants to look a kid in the eye he can do it at the pro day. 

There is a lot of cloak and dagger stuff involved with it, but teams also bring 30 prospects to their own FACILITIES 😂

this is a really weird thing to get your panties in a bunch over  

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

fixating on Robert Saleh as the problem with the Jets is like looking at house full of mold, the roof is caved in, the windows are broken, the pipes are burst and saying "Gee I wish the driveway wasn't cracked." 

Most people seem to want him fired (and that day will come my friends) but he's not even in the top 10 of things wrong with the Jets franchise right now 

While this is true, if we're going to spend the time and resources to renovate the house, we should probably fix the driveway in the process.

Saleh is a stinky turd sitting in the tank of the toilet. We can flush him, like we have coaches before him, but poop water will remain. This is your NY Jets.

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

Bruh.  Shirley you can’t be serious.  The area scouts spend the entire season gathering information on the top players, how often they go to the weight room, how much they love the game, the skanks they bang, and they develop relationships with the coaches so they get real actual information.  The coaches don’t always just hype the kid up. 
The kids going to the combine are coached up on the interviews.  All you are going to hear is prepared answers. 
If Saleh wants to look a kid in the eye he can do it at the pro day. 

There is a lot of cloak and dagger stuff involved with it, but teams also bring 30 prospects to their own FACILITIES 😂

this is a really weird thing to get your panties in a bunch over  

I think it’s cool that Saleh gets to see a kid one time over a steak dinner before he has to trust that kid with his career. Maybe Robert makes his way out to the Pro Day, where he can talk to Zach’s parents. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think it’s cool that Saleh gets to see a kid one time over a steak dinner before he has to trust that kid with his career. Maybe Robert makes his way out to the Pro Day, where he can talk to Zach’s parents. 

Disappointing reply. 

we all saw on hard knocks how it went down last year. On the clock, JD asked his director of college scouting who his top 3 were at that time based on how the board fell. He then took McDonald. He did not ask Saleh. 

y’all know that the jets have a scouting staff, right ?

Scouting

Ray AgnewPro Scout

Evan ArdoinSenior Pro Scout

Jon CarrDirector, College Scouting

Ryan DarceyPersonnel Operations Assistant

Andy DavisCollege Scout

Andrew DollakCollege Scout

Dominic EspositoPro Scout

Dom GreenNational Scout

Jason MandolesiNational Scout

Greg NejmehDirector, Pro Personnel

Chris NolanCollege Scout

Phil SavageSenior Football Advisor

Johnathon StigallSenior Regional Scout

Dan ZbojovskyDirector, Personnel Operations

Drew MorrisCollege Scout

Kevin MurphyAssistant Director, Pro Personnel

Thomas WittyAssistant, Personnel Operations

Jordan Daquon BurtonSeasonal Intern, Pro Personnel

Jordan FoxSeasonal Intern, Personnel Operations

This man is real, exists and isn’t paid just for the heck of it 

JON CARR is in his sixth season as the director, college scouting with the New York Jets, working with General Manager Joe Douglas and Assistant General Manager Rex Hogan through the entire draft process including draft meetings, the scouting combine, pro days and all-star games as well as scouting staff evaluations.

Carr also works with Director, Scouting Operations Dan Zbojovsky on the organization and assignment of national and area scouts with their school visit responsibilities. He is responsible for evaluating players in assigned areas and draft board prospects from across the country. Carr was a part of a scouting staff who drafted both the Offensive and Defensive Rookies of the Year in 2022, marking just the third time in NFL history a team has had both in the same year.

Prior to joining the Jets, Carr spent 11 seasons with the Texans, the last three as their director of college scouting. He previously served as a national and college scout with Houston.

Before that, Carr worked as the wide receivers coach at the University of Toledo (2005-06), part of a staff that helped the school to the 2005 GMAC Bowl win. He was the offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach at Eastern Illinois (2003-04) after he began his college coaching career at Tennessee State, first as an assistant coach (1997-99) and later as the offensive coordinator (2000-02). During his time, the school won back-to-back Ohio Valley Conference Championships (1998 & 1999).

During the summer of 2002, Carr was a member of the Oakland Raiders staff as part of the NFL Bill Walsh Diversity Coaching Fellowship and has participated in the 2006 NCAA Expert Coach's Academy in Miami, the NFL Stanford Program for Managers at the Stanford Graduate School of Business in 2012 and the 2018 NFL Career Development Symposium. He has also worked with the National Football League Properties as the program coordinator for Chicago and Detroit summer youth inner-city football camps.

Carr played quarterback at Southeast Missouri State from 1987-89 before transferring to Purdue, where he earned a degree in law and society in 1991. Carr has one son, Corbyn, and two daughters, Kennedy and Kayla.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The Jets have 4 first round draft picks (including 3 top 5 overall picks) on their defense and the only two all-pro players the Jets have on their roster both play defense.

If their defense wasn't good with Saleh, he'd be out of a job already. And, btw, before Sauce/DJ ReedJJ, the Jets were among the worst defenses in the NFL under Saleh. 

I mean, they were the worst defense for one year while they were transitioning schemes -- and have been pretty much elite the last two. Not sure how you hold having good players against the coach. Plenty of things to criticize Saleh for but his defenses have been great.

If Zach Wilson wasn't horrible this team would be coming off back to back playoff appearances, IMO. That's not necessarily a defense of Saleh because part of the reason you hire an offensive guy is that he can make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t and the offense is never as bad as what we've seen the last two seasons, but the reality is Saleh brought in a young bright mind from the hot offensive scheme in the league and Zach Wilson being an effete headcase submarined him.

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, Larz said:

Disappointing reply. 

we all saw on hard knocks how it went down last year. On the clock, JD asked his director of college scouting who his top 3 were at that time based on how the board fell. He then took McDonald. He did not ask Saleh. 

y’all know that the jets have a scouting staff, right ?

Larz, who is in charge of the Jets? 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I mean, they were the worst defense for one year while they were transitioning schemes -- and have been pretty much elite the last two. Not sure how you hold having good players against the coach. Plenty of things to criticize Saleh for but his defenses have been great.

I'm not holding having good players against him - I'm arguing that saying Saleh is "over-performing" at anything is somewhat laughable. 

I'm not criticizing Saleh for his defense at all. I'm just saying that the defense should be pretty good given the personnel, which it is. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, dbatesman said:

The bold is the thing. If the team won consistently, Saleh could take the whole offseason off and no one would care. Doing it when the team is not only bad on the field, but seems totally rudderless, is pretty galling.

Let's be honest, no matter what they do this organization already hit its limit of one good draft per decade already. I'd go ******* golf too.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, varjet said:

i can't imagine that attending the combine would not be a helpful thing.  They can get a sense of players' attitudes, etc.   Maybe you meet Mims, Becton or Elijah Moore and realize they are jerks.

dont you think someone will be there to meet the players? 

if Tomlin and the other good/great HCs are not going how do they know there not drafting jerks? how are they getting the sense of the players?

non- issue

2 hours ago, varjet said:

But for a losing coach

Saleh won 7 games with the worst QB room in the NFL for 2 straight years. if he had the QBs some of those guys on this list have he would be a winning HC.

if Saleh was as bad as some of you think he is he should have won about 3 games each year with those QBs.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

How much is he making?  Curious how you know

$5 Million. Woody Johnson doesn't pay head coaches. There's a reason why the Jets only hire assistant coaches as Head Coaches, with only exception being Adam Gase, who literally had zero other options.

Woody is administratively cheap. One could argue that Woody being duped into giving Joe D a sixth year proves this false, but that didn't really cost him anything other than time.

There's not great data on head coaching salaries, but here's the first source I could find: https://en.as.com/nfl/who-are-the-highest-and-lowest-paid-nfl-coaches-n-2/.

Woody is a cheap loser.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I guess much of his calculation is that, worst case scenario, he’ll be unemployed for ten minutes because he’s a vested bro in the Shanahan fraternity and those guys stay employed under any circumstances, but I think the team he coaches sort of plays that way, too—like winning and losing is whatever, and lost seasons are just the norm, and that radiates from the top down.

Old man Shanny was pretty big on light practices etc. Will say his two Denver teams were dominant. His Raider and Washington stints not so much.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

That twice you used the golf line.  
You actually believe they’re using work time as “personal time” and not really working?  
Zach, now Saleh.  There’s a real constant with your posts

Don’t take it that seriously. It’s a tweak. I have no idea what he’s doing on a day to day basis. The combine would probably be something to attend though. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Not sure if he’s golfing, but this seems to be the Jets SOP for the combine now.

Whats interesting is Douglas doesn’t have Hogan or Alexander anymore and it doesn’t sound like they’re interviewing to backfill. Wonder who else is there for the Jets. Woody?

LMFAO!  If he's not at the combine I think there's a real chance he is golfing.

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I read this like the Jets hired him specifically to play 1000 golf courses.  Which would be par for the course for the Jets.

Saleh promised things would be better next year than they were this year but he didn't mention the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

i mean anything is possible, but I think the golfing thing is just an easy way for fans to crap on the guy.  I dont love saleh as much as the next but for people to insinuate anyone with an nfl coaching job "doesnt care, and blatantly shirks duties" (how I sum up the sentiment) is a little silly to me.  

Agreed.  To say he doesn't care is ridiculous.  More than likely he's thinking of new slogans while on the golf course.  In other words, he's working.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Exactly.  People forget we got destroyed by the Mac Jones led Patriots 54-13.

• Upvote 1

https://thejetpress.com/posts/robert-saleh-favorite-perfect-ny-jets-free-agency-cap-casualty-dj-jones

Kyle Shanahan takes unexpected shot at Robert Saleh and the NY Jets

What did Kyle Shanahan say about Robert Saleh?

By Justin Fried | Feb 15, 2024

Kyle Shanahan

Kyle Shanahan / Chris Unger/GettyImages

facebooktwitterreddit

NY Jets head coach Robert Saleh has garnered a reputation as one of the most energetic and boisterous coaches in the NFL. Saleh's sideline enthusiasm has become a calling card for the veteran NFL coach.

Unfortunately, losing takes its toll on anyone, and Saleh's typical sideline energy has often been replaced by straight faces and apathetic looks in recent years. In many ways, the Jets have seemingly broken his spirit.

That transformation hasn't gone unnoticed by Saleh's former head coach, Kyle Shanahan. Shanahan spoke to reporters this week following his team's decision to part ways with defensive coordinator Steve Wilks.

The 49ers coach was asked if he wanted to hire another energetic coach to replace Wilks, seemingly in the vein of Saleh, and he insisted that wasn't necessarily a priority. Shanahan then took an unexpected shot (or at least made a light-hearted remark) about Saleh and the Jets.

"Watch Saleh now, he's not that energetic," Shanahan exclaimed in a direct reference to the Jets' struggles under Saleh.

Kyle Shanahan isn't wrong with his comments about Robert Saleh and the NY Jets

Shanahan's comment caught many off guard, but he isn't necessarily wrong. Saleh is still the same energetic, optimistic coach he was during his time with the 49ers, but it's a lot harder to showcase that when your team is losing.

Saleh isn't going to be standing on the sideline doing cartwheels and jumping jacks when his team is losing by 20 points. He isn't going to be hurling praise at an inept offense that struggles to score double-digit points in games.

Saleh may be loud and enthusiastic, but he's never been one to yell at his players. His energy manifests itself in the form of words of affirmation — not criticism.

It's also worth noting that while he may be considered one of the best coaches in the NFL right now, Shanahan's time in San Francisco didn't get off to an ideal start. The 49ers won just 10 games over Shanahan's first two years with the team. They won six or fewer games in three of his first four seasons.

Saleh will be hoping to execute a Shanahan-like turnaround with the Jets this season. His .353 winning percentage is among the worst by a head coach in Jets history, just above Adam Gase and Lou Holtz.

The hope is that a healthy Aaron Rodgers can return in 2024 and help Saleh and the Jets return to the postseason for the first time in 13 years. Maybe then Saleh's energy will return in full force.