Assuming the top 3 wide receivers are gone by #10, and we haven't signed a wide receiver in free agency.

49 minutes ago, Alka said:

If all 3 wide receivers are gone, and we haven't signed a significant wide receiver in free agency, would it make sense to trade down to around #20, and pick up a 2nd round pick?  Pretty much all of the mock drafts I have seen has the top 3 wide receivers gone before #10.

Pick one of the next top tier wide receivers around #20, and in the second round, get the top interior lineman or 2nd tier offensive tackle on the offensive side.  I just worry about injuries on the offensive line, and feel we really need another player to plug in if and when we need it.

I don't think this would be a horrible strategy, and would accomplish a couple of goals at the same time.  

What do you think?

In this case the pick should be bowers or fashanu.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

At some point, investing in OL becomes too much.

You’re speaking my language here, but -unfortunately or not- my expectation is that JD will BAP the pick. So does he rate the fourth WR higher than the second or third OT? He might. But if it comes down to the OT or Bowers, imho, positional value will reign victorious and he’ll take the OT. 

26 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think they want another stud wr and that’s plan A.  Look how difficult it is to get a good wr in FA now.  

Going to have to trade up if you want one of the top 3.

3 minutes ago, slats said:

You’re speaking my language here, but -unfortunately or not- my expectation is that JD will BAP the pick. So does he rate the fourth WR higher than the second or third OT? He might. But if it comes down to the OT or Bowers, imho, positional value will reign victorious and he’ll take the OT. 

I think if the jets can’t really fix wr in FA, and then they use the 10 pick on a tackle, that’s bad use of draft capital.  That team opening day would still have bottom 10 skill positions.  Better use of the pick would be to trade out and go wr/ot in round 1/2 somehow.  

You did frame the question - if the top 3 wrs are gone, and alt is gone, is the pick fatanu or bowers?  Or even thomas jr?  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

At some point, investing in OL becomes too much.  If they used the 10 pick on fatanu, that wouldn’t be a bad pick in terms of the player, b/c he’s eventually going to LT, maybe even this season.  But if all teams are ranked by offensive weapons, the jets are again bottom 10 right now.  1 wr and 1 rb.  Maybe a decent TE, maybe.  But it’s bad.  If this team wants to content for the division they’re going to need 2 more playmakers, not just 1.  Getting Boyd doesn’t move the needle either, he’s slightly above a jag.  They need their own guy.  If it’s thomas jr, ok, i get it, the guy’s big, fast, can catch and is a home run threat.  If it’s rome, all the better.  Bowers, not sure.  Seems more like a chain mover but hey, we need that too.  He could be targeted 10x/game.  

I’d love a trade back, but unless something wild happens i don’t see it happening.  Douglas also needs a big hit with this pick.  

It’s a tough spot knowing:

A) Tyron and Moses are on expiring deals, so if you don’t draft a legit OT this year, you have to do it next year anyway

b) with Tyron’s durability issues and the Jets injury history, you need legit depth regardless and one game with Wayne Hunter level OT play could end AR’s career and sink the Jets season 

I want Alt, MHJ, or Nabers, but understanding there’s virtually a 0% percent chance this happens at #10, the move his to hope some desperate team wants to jump up to #10 for Nix or Pennix and take advantage…

Another thing with Bowers is TE is the toughest non-QB position to learn in the NFL because they are asked to do so many things.

You are all in on ‘24 with a 40y old QB and 1st year TEs almost never make any kind of meaningful impact.  Kelce  didn’t even play as a rookie.

Gronk beasted in the TD department as a rookie but he’s arguably the GOAT.

Bowers looks impressive, but there are at least a couple unknowns people are taking for granted:

1) blocking:  at 6’3” 245, is he really going to be a beast or hold up against 285 lb DE’s (if necessary)?  Gronk and Kelce are complete TE, able to dominate in run and pass games.

Bowers’ body type and athletic profile is more like Aaron Hernandez than Kelce, Gronk, Gonzo, etc.

2) contested catches:  this is essential for any NFL TE, to make tough catches in traffic and hold on to the ball.  How does anyone have any idea if he will be able to do this with any kind of high-level proficiency / consistency since he was basically left wide open all day in college?

Long story short, move back a few spots and multiply premium picks.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Augustiniak said:

I think if the jets can’t really fix wr in FA, and then they use the 10 pick on a tackle, that’s bad use of draft capital.  That team opening day would still have bottom 10 skill positions.  Better use of the pick would be to trade out and go wr/ot in round 1/2 somehow.  

You did frame the question - if the top 3 wrs are gone, and alt is gone, is the pick fatanu or bowers?  Or even thomas jr?  

I’d be most excited about Thomas there, but -again, talking about what I think the team will do- Fatanu would not surprise me. Bowers would. 

Just now, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

It’s a tough spot knowing:

A) Tyron and Moses are on expiring deals, so if you don’t draft a legit OT this year, you have to do it next year anyway

b) with Tyron’s durability issues and the Jets injury history, you need legit depth regardless and one game with Wayne Hunter level OT play could end AR’s career and sink the Jets season 

I want Alt, MHJ, or Nabers, but understanding there’s virtually a 0% percent chance this happens at #10, the move his to hope some desperate team wants to jump up to #10 for Nix or Pennix and take advantage…

Another thing with Bowers is TE is the toughest non-QB position to learn in the NFL because they are asked to do so many things.

Bowers looks impressive, but there are at least a couple unknowns people are taking for granted:

1) blocking:  at 6’3” 245, is he really going to be a beast or hold up against 285 lb DE’s (if necessary)?  Gronk and Kelce are complete TE, able to dominate in run and pass games.

Bowers’ body type and athletic profile is more like Aaron Hernandez than Kelce, Gronk, Gonzo, etc.

2) contested catches:  this is essential for any NFL TE, to make tough catches in traffic and hold on to the ball.  How does anyone have any idea if he will be able to do this with any kind of high-level proficiency / consistency since he was basically left wide open all day in college?

The jets are in a perfect position to add a weapon, and considering they can’t score touchdowns, that’s how i would view the best use of draft capital.  They’ve just added 3 short term OL pieces, yet true playmakers aren’t available b/c they’re coveted.  The jets need to draft their own.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

I’d be most excited about Thomas there, but -again, talking about what I think the team will do- Fatanu would not surprise me. Bowers would. 

Bowers would surprise me if they stayed at 10 b/c douglas has shown he values premium positions in the first round.  If they traded back i think it’s different.  

If it actually comes down to fatanu vs thomas, that would be interesting.  They need both.  Thomas really helps garrett immensely.  Fatanu is more of a longer term piece who settles the line, but do his best years come too late for the douglas tenure?

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Thanks JD. Just be sure to put in your due diligence offer so the Cardinals can get a good laugh.

I'm not saying I wouldn't entertain the notion of trading up for him. I just wouldn't give up 2 future #1's plus a future 3 and a future 4. 

1 minute ago, bicketybam said:

I'm not saying I wouldn't entertain the notion of trading up for him. I just wouldn't give up 2 future #1's plus a future 3 and a future 4. 

it was 2 picks this year and 2 next. 

And we know, JD, you'll offer #10 this year + the Mr. Irrelevant pick and call it due diligence. God speed.

There's no way in heck I'd trade up for MHJ.  Talk about a luxury move!  There will likely be a good WR for us at 1.10 (or even in a trade down).  Or Brock Bowers.  Plus it would obviously cost us next year's #1 at a minimum.  We can't afford that.  We might need a QB next year (or a LT).  We can't throw away such draft capital when we'll have perfectly acceptable options without a trade up.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

it was 2 picks this year and 2 next. 

And we know, JD, you'll offer #10 this year + the Mr. Irrelevant pick and call it due diligence. God speed.

I'm not sure why you are getting pissed at me, lol. I don't work for the Jets. If it makes you feel better I can tell you that it's an excellent trade proposal and JD is a fool if he doesn't try to make that happen. Better?

Just now, bicketybam said:

I'm not sure why you are getting pissed at me, lol. I don't work for the Jets. If it makes you feel better I can tell you that it's an excellent trade proposal and JD is a fool if he doesn't try to make that happen. Better?

I don't get pissed at fans for not agreeing with me. I get pissed at JD for not putting together a proper WR corps in a win now year.

1 hour ago, Alka said:

If all 3 wide receivers are gone, and we haven't signed a significant wide receiver in free agency, would it make sense to trade down to around #20, and pick up a 2nd round pick?  Pretty much all of the mock drafts I have seen has the top 3 wide receivers gone before #10.

Pick one of the next top tier wide receivers around #20, and in the second round, get the top interior lineman or 2nd tier offensive tackle on the offensive side.  I just worry about injuries on the offensive line, and feel we really need another player to plug in if and when we need it.

I don't think this would be a horrible strategy, and would accomplish a couple of goals at the same time.  

What do you think?

Klatt has us taking Nabers and CBS has us taken Odunze. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Bowers rarely missed blocks at UGA.  Has a good initial punch and locks up exceptionally well to sustain. a block.  He occasionally pancaked LBs; easily destroyed safeties.  He's pretty impressive as a blocker.

He's an 90/10 guy on 50/50 balls.   One hand.  Both hands, High pointing.  Body control.  Boxing out the defender.   Incredibly reliable target whether he's open or covered.  Add the other-worldly YAC capability, and that's the difference between a very good tight end and a great tight end.

If not Mike Williams, and the top three WRs are gone, my choice would be:

Bowers

Brian Thomas Jr.

Trade down to pick up an additional pick and grab either McConky, or one of the 2nd tier OT prospects with a later 1st round pick.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Klatt has us taking Nabers and CBS has us taken Odunze. 

I haven't seen Nabers falling on any mock drafts.  I have seen Odunze on a few, but mostly I have seen him gone before 10.

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Are we trying to win now or what?

He’s a rookie, obviously a very polished one but still a rookie. The thought of having no QB and no picks for the next 2 years (assuming it’s going to take 2 FRPs+ to go from 4 to 10) for a WR who’s never taken an NFL snap is too risky IMO. If they think another WR1 is the missing piece and want to sell the farm, I’d first explore JJ.

I think the proposed starting point is the bare minimum. Just way too much for a WR when you have big time uncertainty at QB. 

18 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

He’s a rookie, obviously a very polished one but still a rookie. The thought of having no QB and no picks for the next 2 years (assuming it’s going to take 2 FRPs+ to go from 4 to 10) for a WR who’s never taken an NFL snap is too risky IMO. If they think another WR1 is the missing piece and want to sell the farm, I’d first explore JJ.

I think the proposed starting point is the bare minimum. Just way too much for a WR when you have big time uncertainty at QB. 

When they traded for Aaron Rodgers they took on that risk. If Rodgers is done and they didn't win a chip Douglas and Saleh are getting fired. G. Wilson & Breece Hall are getting traded for rebuilding ammo and half the defense will be recycled. We're starting over from ground zero. IDGAF who the QB is in 2025 if it's not Rodgers unless they're taking a QB at 10, which is unlikely. We'll be better off w/fewer wins in 2025 so play whoever at QB. Might as well have MHJ left over for the 2026 rookie QB to work with.

At least go for it and try while the guy is here ffs.

MHJ is the best WR prospect since maybe Randy Moss. What did Moss do as a rookie?

2 hours ago, slats said:

Who are your trading partners in the #20 range, and what are they trading up for? 

Always a good point.  Maybe one of defensive players garners some interest.  The draft top ten looks like four QBs, three wrs, and three tackles.  No defense yet.