State income tax a stated factor in Shaq Barrett picking Mia over NYJ

23 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Fine no prob just dm me if you need any more truths or guidance.

No thanks.  Ten years of actual education on the topic has guided me FAR more than the average American's opinion on the subject.  Pass.  

2 hours ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

The NFL should be able to combat this issue, and it is truly an issue.  To me it's pretty simple - Teams in states with higher taxes have a larger salary cap to be able to pay guys that want to run to tax free states.

This is a horrible idea.  

Maybe, the large market teams should further compensate the teams like Cincinnati whose gate revenue is far smaller? A "we live in a small city" tax.

The large market teams have inherent benefits of playing in large markets that Cincinnati, Buffalo or Green Bay do not. 

Shaq chose the Dolphins because they are perceived as better.  The tax thing was an added benefit.  The Patriots cannot sniff a FA not because of MA ridiculous taxes.  They suck.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

This is a horrible idea.  

Maybe, the large market teams should further compensate the teams like Cincinnati whose gate revenue is far smaller? A "we live in a small city" tax.

The large market teams have inherent benefits of playing in large markets that Cincinnati, Buffalo or Green Bay do not. 

Shaq chose the Dolphins because they are perceived as better.  The tax thing was an added benefit.  The Patriots cannot sniff a FA not because of MA ridiculous taxes.  They suck.

I agree with most of what you say but I do think that players also consider overall cost of living and quality of life in the areas where they get offers from as part of their decision process.

We would all do it if we were out looking for a new job and getting offers from around the country. I think for most people (myself included), money/salary and the company making the offer wouldn't be the only considerations, and maybe not even the most important ones.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

I agree with most of what you say but I do think that players also consider overall cost of living and quality of life in the areas where they get offers from as part of their decision process.

We would all do it if we were out looking for a new job and getting offers from around the country. I think for most people (myself included), money/salary and the company making the offer wouldn't be the only considerations, and maybe not even the most important ones.

Well, I think back to when I was in my early 20s 😭 and totally agree with you.

That is where the agent, my speculative silly wild ass guess, comes in.  The player makes the decision, but the agent goes, "you have two offers that are relatively the same.  Economically the offers are the same, this team is a little better and this team's state taxes will save you an extra X dollars every year compared to that team".