State income tax a stated factor in Shaq Barrett picking Mia over NYJ

14 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

The owner is a dimwit who meddles in football ops - basically a way worse version of Jerry Jones without Super Bowl trophies.

And can’t we just admit New Jersey sucks?  It really is the most unpleasant state in the entire country to live in.  It’s expensive regardless of taxes, the people are unpleasant, the traffic is insane, it’s overcrowded,  bad weather and I’m saying this as a native New Jerseyan who has lived in other parts of the country and seen how much better the quality of life is.

I live in Charlotte and love it.  It's getting NY/NJ like lately as it is becoming heavily populated but I just love it here.

10 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I live in Charlotte and love it.  It's getting NY/NJ like lately as it is becoming heavily populated but I just love it here.

I once slept with a girl named Charlotte -- in New York in the 80s, no less. Go figure. It's popular now, but back then it was almost like being named Stella or Winifred (if one of those two would've famously spun a web above a pigsty). Anyway she had braces so the whole experience wasn't 100% awesome. 

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

While I'm sympathetic to that take on a personal level (eff them if it's only about every last dollar), as a fan of a team that has to combat this, I'm also recognizing the additional challenge to their own collective coach/FO stupidity.

Also you're understating the disparity. Players only pay income tax on bonus checks in their teams' states (though apparently there are challenges coming, but nothing yet).

Only game checks are split like that. So Tyreek Hill, for example, does not pay income tax on 1/16 (now 1/17) of his signing bonus checks to NJ. Just his game checks, which have been kept to a bare minimum. He's been paid $53MM over the first two years of his Miami contract, and more than $50MM of it carried no state taxes. Only about $2MM has been base salary, and half of that is taxed at FL's 0% as well, meaning about only $1MM of his $53MM has been subject to other states' income taxes. Further, if you wanted to get more detailed, it wouldn't even be at the marginal rate in states (like NJ) with a progressive tax system because 1/17 of that year's $1.1MM - some $65K - would put him in a 5.53% tax bracket. It's only based on how much he made playing in NJ, not how much he made here plus everywhere else.

ahhh...  didn't realize the bonus thing. Correct. Hard to assign to a specific location. I guess individual states would like to see that divided prorata for all the tax collecting states.  I'm certainly no CPA.  Do Great Britain, Germany, Mexico etc. tax NFL players for their game checks too? 

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The thing that annoys me the most about these goofy politics adjacent arguments is when people pretend the weather in Florida is good. 95 degrees with 100% humidity isn’t good weather it’s a ******* nightmare.

LOL. Couldn't agree more. I could never live down south because the weather would drive me nuts. I like my four seasons.

• Upvote 3

People are economic animals. A few dollars more is not a small thing. 

And further the quality of life in the NYC area SUCKS. So many things you can point to. I'm stuck here unless and and until I totally retire. 

Been to Orlando, south Florida, the Keys, Tampa lately. Spare Orlando(1000 degrees out, 100% humidity, theme parks hitting you off the head with the cash register while the grandson was melting, Disney freaks who should not be allowed out of their hovels "drinking around the world"; yeah, no thanks!) , all wonderful places. The budget for the City of New York today exceeds that of the entire state of Florida. Basic things, like roads; NYC and state  are a mismanaged  f___ing mess.

I could go on for the next 25 paragraphs why the NY metro area is turning into a total complete sheethole.

This is not s a small thing. People are noticing. Midtown for a time under Giuliani and then Bloomberg was a gem; that's gone now. It's getting dangerous, stupid and it was already expensive. 

• Post of the Week 2

2 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

LOL. Couldn't agree more. I could never live down south because the weather would drive me nuts. I like my four seasons.

Some family moved to St.Augustine/Jacksonville and they love it. Personally the 95 degree thing would not be my choice but they insist it's a bit more temperate there. When the time comes to don sandals with socks and cease cutting my ear hair, figure to look in the Carolinas. We'll see. 

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

ahhh...  didn't realize the bonus thing. Correct. Hard to assign to a specific location. I guess individual states would like to see that divided prorata for all the tax collecting states.  I'm certainly no CPA.  Do Great Britain, Germany, Mexico etc. tax NFL players for their game checks too? 

I'm not either; I take guesses but bounce stuff off @southparkcpa.

The problem with prorating signing bonuses is often a signing bonus is compensating a player for more than just 1 season. The rookie contracts are like that (particularly the higher they're drafted), and those contracts are slotted. Zach got a $23MM signing bonus on a $35MM 4-year contract. Clearly $23MM wasn't intended to be payment for the 2020 season alone.

Conversely, a multi-year contract for a veteran FA will often (if not typically) see just the contract average amount paid in year 1, though it's mostly in bonus form.

They can come up with some calculation, I'm sure, based on different circumstances like the scenarios above. Just saying it isn't as straightforward as dividing the bonus money by 17; depends on the contract. Then what happens to the rookie contracts -- is a #1 pick in 2024 (on a 4-year rookie contract) supposed to owe 1/4 of 1/17 to each team including 3 years later, for money paid to him 3 years earlier? I don't think income taxes work like that: it's just the year you had that income.

But I'll defer to someone who knows better, which would be literally every cpa and every tax attorney there's ever been.

I never thought about international games until you just mentioned it. I've no idea how that's handled.

15 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

That was true like last century, but it is no longer true.

Patrick Mahomes is doing well in endorsements from KC.   An athlete does not need NY as much as a NY company needs an athlete regardless of where they play.

Kevin Durant and Peyton Manning became ad marketing dynamos working in Oklahoma City and Indianapolis. The internet ended all that NYC-centric nonsense.

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

The owner is a dimwit who meddles in football ops - basically a way worse version of Jerry Jones without Super Bowl trophies.

And can’t we just admit New Jersey sucks?  It really is the most unpleasant state in the entire country to live in.  It’s expensive regardless of taxes, the people are unpleasant, the traffic is insane, it’s overcrowded,  bad weather and I’m saying this as a native New Jerseyan who has lived in other parts of the country and seen how much better the quality of life is.

Bro have you ever been to the SHORE

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Kevin Durant and Peyton Manning became ad marketing dynamos working in Oklahoma City and Indianapolis. The internet ended all that NYC-centric nonsense.

Yup. Green Bay has to be the smallest market in any sport but that Rodgers guy got a deal lol. 

39 minutes ago, Bugg said:

People are economic animals. A few dollars more is not a small thing. 

And further the quality of life in the NYC area SUCKS. So many things you can point to. I'm stuck here unless and and until I totally retire. 

Been to Orlando, south Florida, the Keys, Tampa lately. Spare Orlando(1000 degrees out, 100% humidity, theme parks hitting you off the head with the cash register while the grandson was melting, Disney freaks who should not be allowed out of their hovels "drinking around the world"; yeah, no thanks!) , all wonderful places. The budget for the City of New York today exceeds that of the entire state of Florida. Basic things, like roads; NYC and state  are a mismanaged  f___ing mess.

I could go on for the next 25 paragraphs why the NY metro area is turning into a total complete sheethole.

This is not s a small thing. People are noticing. Midtown for a time under Giuliani and then Bloomberg was a gem; that's gone now. It's getting dangerous, stupid and it was already expensive. 

The only thing I'd say about roads is it's a lot easier to manage roads where it never snows & freezes. As a result, they don't get nearly the quantity or severity of our giant potholes; so they don't need to repave every road in the city/state every decade, where before you're done with all of them you already have to restart the first one again, and in the meantime those last 5 years before a full repaving we're all driving over a landmine of holes and patches.

So it's not in the same galaxy of difficulty to manage, but still no one can seriously believe they're handling our awful roads about as well as can be done.

Anyway yes the roads here are awful and NYC is a cesspool.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Bro have you ever been to the SHORE

I live in Sparta.  It is f'ing gorgeous up here.  Is NJ costly?  You bet. Is my quality of life good?  It's fabulous. Bucolic, yet suburban. An hour for a trip to Manhattan, which is always great if you know where to go and, other than theater, don't go to midtown.  90 minutes to Philly for certain occasions.  Sports events everywhere and always.  Winter never bothered me all that much but yeah, that's the big downside. Florida weather is torture for me.  Either melting in humidity or freezing all the time in indoor bone dry dry dry air conditioning. Not for me, thanks. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The thing that annoys me the most about these goofy politics adjacent arguments is when people pretend the weather in Florida is good. 95 degrees with 100% humidity isn’t good weather it’s a ******* nightmare.

Summers in NY/NJ are also hot and humid. I've lived here all my life and there are stretches of July and August where you don't even want to go outside.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I live in Sparta.  It is f'ing gorgeous up here.  Is NJ costly?  You bet. Is my quality of life good?  It's fabulous. Bucolic, yet suburban. An hour for a trip to Manhattan, which is always great if you know where to go and, other than theater, don't go to midtown.  90 minutes to Philly for certain occasions.  Sports events everywhere and always.  Winter never bothered me all that much but yeah, that's the big downside. Florida weather is torture for me.  Either melting in humidity or freezing all the time in indoor bone dry dry dry air conditioning. Not for me, thanks. 

Sure. There are nice places everywhere in the country. The thing about Jersey people is most have never been on an airplane and eat dinner and their mothers every Sunday. So they are a bit biased imo. Also, why do they have a state income tax that absurd? Jersey transit stinks and colleges don’t even look at SAT scores anymore. If anything the state should be taking less of your money. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I once slept with a girl named Charlotte -- in New York in the 80s, no less. Go figure. It's popular now, but back then it was almost like being named Stella or Winifred (if one of those two would've famously spun a web above a pigsty). Anyway she had braces so the whole experience wasn't 100% awesome. 

I'm sure the experience for her was forgotten quickly. :)

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Sure. There are nice places everywhere in the country. The thing about Jersey people is most have never been on an airplane and eat dinner and their mothers every Sunday. So they are a bit biased imo. Also, why do they have a state income tax that absurd? Jersey transit stinks and colleges don’t even look at SAT scores anymore. If anything the state should be taking less of your money. 

I'll take "complete irrelevancies" for $200, Alex. 

15 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Summers in NY/NJ are also hot and humid. I've lived here all my life and there are stretches of July and August where you don't even want to go outside.

true.  But I take my grandkids over to the neighborhood pool. It works.

Just now, Matt39 said:

Sure if you have unlimited money. But the state income tax makes zero sense. 

it's less than NY, Mass and Cali. That's about all I know. New rule here as well for people like me (65 yrs and older) who own homes...   

The program will offer New Jersey homeowners 65 and over tax credits worth up to half of their property tax bills, to a cap of $6,500, as long as they make no more than $500,000 a year.

“We have heard from seniors across the state on this issue. We know what a difference this will make for families making difficult decisions,” said Assembly Speaker Craig Coughlin (D-Middlesex), the program’s architect. “We owe it to our seniors and to their families to do what we can to ease those burdens.”

there's also another that reimburses for prop tax increases from year to year for 65+ as well.  The income threshold is lower for that one.    But what I DO like is that this state is making efforts to keep families here.  My daughter and her family live here and they will be for decades based on their careers.  NJ at least doing something to keep guys like me from flight.  My 2 boys are still in NJ as well.  They are likely to leave based on economy, rent/prop costs and career opportunities not too far in the future. For them it would make sense to bolt.

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

it's less than NY, Mass and Cali. That's about all I know. New rule here as well for people like me (65 yrs and older) who own homes...   

there's also another that reimburses for prop tax increases from year to year for 65+ as well.  The income threshold is lower for that one.    But what I DO like is that this state is making efforts to keep families here.  My daughter and her family live here and they will be for decades based on their careers.  NJ at least doing something to keep guys like me from flight.  My 2 boys are still in NJ as well.  They are likely to leave based on economy, rent/prop costs and career opportunities not too far in the future. For them it would make sense to bolt.

This doesn't exactly apply to $10-40MM/year active NFL players in their 20s-30s ;) 

• Upvote 1

The argument sometimes can be that that player can make up that money being in the NY market. But that’s not the case with a guy like Barrett. But for big name guys that can make a ton off the field. That does matter.

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This doesn't exactly apply to $10-40MM/year active NFL players in their 20s-30s ;) 

Nothing should. But that's a whole other thread somewhere waiting to get locked.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

pay NJ income tax on 1/16 of their salary/bonus because 1/16th of the games they play are here

2/16 dont forget one game in Buffalo.

which makes its 9/16 for Jet players.