State income tax a stated factor in Shaq Barrett picking Mia over NYJ

Why is it so hard for some people to believe players pay attention to tax rates? Tax rates are not imaginary. They are real and impact the bottom line for these guys.
holy crap

I am sure some do, but about 15% of players file for bankruptcy after stopping to play. I am sure not all of them are concerned with finances.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

I’m 46, married with kids and don’t live in Manhattan. I wouldn’t pay 150% higher than average rent. My 15 year mortgage payment in Brooklyn is lower than any of the rents that the young kids reporting to me are paying. 

But my 20 somethings at work love it, even with prosperous rents because…the bars, clubs, restaurants, concerts, Knicks, Rangers, Broadway, off Broadway. I do enjoy some of those things occasionally but not like these kids. 

I just think if the kids that report to me are having the times of their lives, a rich athlete could do OK as well, lol.

Avoid the subway 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mfmartin said:

I am sure some do, but about 15% of players file for bankruptcy after stopping to play. I am sure not all of them are concerned with finances.

there's a big difference between being concerned with how much money you're getting paid and being able to manage your money.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

I’m 46, married with kids and don’t live in Manhattan. I wouldn’t pay 150% higher than average rent. My 15 year mortgage payment in Brooklyn is lower than any of the rents that the young kids reporting to me are paying. 

But my 20 somethings at work love it, even with prosperous rents because…the bars, clubs, restaurants, concerts, Knicks, Rangers, Broadway, off Broadway. I do enjoy some of those things occasionally but not like these kids. 

I just think if the kids that report to me are having the times of their lives, a rich athlete could do OK as well, lol.

Every city has restaurants and sports teams though. Miami has everything NY has in that regard. For a pro athlete it’s appealing, plus no state tax and way less property tax. Plus it doesn’t smell like weed.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The NFL offseason is in the winter, and you guys think Jets and Giants players spend that time in freezing cold NYC versus heading to warmer weather?

Delusional.  

The day they clean out lockers 90%are gone

not back till Ota’s

personally I don’t get it - why not stay here in freezing weather, traffic and overall depressing for 3-4 months

why would you choose south beach, Arizona, southern calif over that?

• Haha 3

This again…..I don’t think People understand how taxes work. Or how being in the New York media market makes you more money in ads and exposure then some sh*tty Florida town….

Mods can we stop this narrative that borders on politics 

• Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

This again…..I don’t think People understand how taxes work. Or how being in the New York media market makes you more money in ads and exposure then some sh*tty Florida town….

Mods can we stop this narrative that borders on politics 

why don't you explain how taxes work to us plebs who struggle to understand basic math?

It's not a narrative Kevin. Taxes are a real thing and impact the bottom line. 

• Upvote 2

math is not important.

Once again, you are imposing your own personal lifestyle as fact.

Some athletes simply don’t give a sh*t about taxes especially in your 20s.

Funny you never hear about the taxes when it comes to the Yankees or the Rangers when they land a ton of the FAs they want.

1 minute ago, Gen X Jet said:

Yeah, but unlike NY/NJ, FLA doesn't have publicly funded masterpieces roads like the BQE and Cross Bronx.

Can I add the absolute gem being the saw mill because some jackass prob with a phd in engineering decided it was a good idea to have traffic lights on a highway

2 minutes ago, mfmartin said:

Once again, you are imposing your own personal lifestyle as fact.

Some athletes simply don’t give a sh*t about taxes especially in your 20s.

Funny you never hear about the taxes when it comes to the Yankees or the Rangers when they land a ton of the FAs they want.

lol wut?

I'm sure some athletes don't care. Clearly some do. There have been recent examples of players stating it matters to them.

the mental gymnastics people go through to pretend it's not a factor is amusing. you realize there is no salary cap in baseball, right?

• Upvote 2

lol wut?
I'm sure some athletes don't care. Clearly some do. There have been recent examples of players stating it matters to them.
the mental gymnastics people go through to pretend it's not a factor is amusing. you realize there is no salary cap in baseball, right?

There is no salary cap in hockey?

2 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Can I add the absolute gem being the saw mill because some jackass prob with a phd in engineering decided it was a good idea to have traffic lights on a highway

It also floods very time it rains

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

So what 10% off the top going to Jersey transit?  How is that not a factor. Zach’s property taxes on a townhome with no yard was like 15k a year too.

And the sad part is 15k is considered not bad

now take a guy who is going to live here for the better part if the year and wants a home comparable to what he can have in fl

Those propert taxes will be north if 30k

These guys are smarter than some on here think and even a couple hundred k savings a year can matter

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

It also floods very time it rains

The first time I was ever on it I am coming down a slight incline at decent speed and inagine I am seeing a red light

i get closer and it is wholly sh-t there is a red light in the middle of the highway

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Trotter said:

And the sad part is 15k is considered not bad

now take a guy who is going to live here for the better part if the year and wants a home comparable to what he can have in fl

Those propert taxes will be north if 30k

These guys are smarter than some on here think and even a couple hundred k savings a year can matter

Yeah I’m sure to some it doesn’t matter and if you’re Rodgers obviously it wouldn’t. But for middle tier back end guys it probably does. 

Just now, Trotter said:

The first time I was ever on it I am coming down a slight incline at decent speed and inagine I am seeing a red light

i get closer and it is wholly sh-t there is a red light in the middle of the highway

Bronx River is even funner 

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Players like Tyreek Hill, for example?

https://nypost.com/2022/10/03/tyreek-hill-picked-dolphins-over-jets-due-to-state-taxes/

With the Jets hosting the Dolphins this Sunday, the question of why Hill picked Miami resurfaced, and he gave a blunt answer. 

“It was very close to happening,” Hill told reporters on Monday, about nearly playing for the Jets. “Just those state taxes man. I had to make a grown-up decision.”

Rosenhaus never even let the Jets talk to Hill, who is from Miami, lived in Miami, trained in Miami, and was building a house in Miami. Rosenhaus used the Jets to drive up the price on Hill. The Jets final offer was two 2’s and a third round pick swap. Miami ended up coughing up a first, a second, two fours and a six. Tyreek has been asked about the Jets over the years and his responses have ranged between pretending to not know who the Jets are, to “those taxes, man” to “Adam Sandler never called me.” Cimini talked to a tax expert who estimated that Tyreek would have had to make an extra $6.25 million in NY to make the contracts equate. 

IMG_5043.png

IMG_5044.jpeg

• Haha 1

A few thoughts:

• We have a bunch of knowledgeable guys on this board.  I would be interested in understanding if players who play for the Jets HAVE TO BE Domiciled in NJ.  If they do, then they are paying the NJ rate on all of their income.  If not, they can get away with the NJ rate on home games and bonuses.  The way to get around that is to have your true home be outside of NJ, and spend less than 185 days there.   I think the football season can get you just under 185 days.  
    • It does not help to own a house in NJ.  It does not help to have your kids go to school there, etc.  I think practically players with families keep them outside NJ.  I think that is what older guys like Fitzpatrick and McCown did.  I don’t think the McCown kids ever went to school in NJ.  
  • I thought that the tax guys were figuring out how to allocate bonuses paid in non-tax states to income earned in high-tax states.
  • We see teams in California, the highest tax state, make the playoffs and win/play in the Super Bowl.  So it’s not like the tax rate is insurmountable. 
  • Not every player can play for a low tax state.  Teams can make up for the high taxes by hiring great coaching staffs outside of the cap.  But yes, all things being equal, a player will choose the lower tax state over the higher tax state.  
  • We can argue that higher tax teams should get higher salary caps.  I don’t think the NFLPA goes for that if the total cap stays the same-they would want the higher tax owners paying that out of their pockets.  The salary cap is designed for players and owners to share in the NFL revenue.   Players in lower tax states are not taking less money so that high tax owners can pay more to players who pay that difference in taxes.  That is why I don’t think we ever see an adjustment.  
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Rosenhaus never even let the Jets talk to Hill, who is from Miami, lived in Miami, trained in Miami, and was building a house in Miami. Rosenhaus used the Jets to drive up the price on Hill. The Jets final offer was two 2’s and a third round pick swap. Miami ended up coughing up a first, a second, two fours and a six. Tyreek has been asked about the Jets over the years and his responses have ranged between pretending to not know who the Jets are, to “those taxes, man” to “Adam Sandler never called me.” Cimini talked to a tax expert who estimated that Tyreek would have had to make an extra $6.25 million in NY to make the contracts equate. 

IMG_5043.png

IMG_5044.jpeg

The $6MM+ in cash he'd have sent to the state of NJ in the first 2 years of his Miami contract, instead of keeping it tax free, obviously means nothing to a person who cares nothing for money, such as Hill.

He wanted to get to Miami specifically no matter what, so much so that he never once signed an extension in Kansas City. 

Then after that fiction didn't happen, he further stayed in KC on another team-friendly contract because money was such a non-factor for him.

Oh wait, that didn't happen either. ;) 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Players won't stand for that and they'll never agree to it; they'd strike before letting that be part of the CBA. That's why I threw out a proposal idea that wouldn't cost the players anything.

Maybe adjust the cap for taxes. Players would definitely vote for that. Teams in no tax states would fight it though.

But a team like the Giants or Jets should have more cap space.

Similar to revenue sharing. Teams in smaller markets like the Jags can exist because big market teams are pulling more weight.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Maybe adjust the cap for taxes. Players would definitely vote for that. Teams in no tax states would fight it though.

But a team like the Giants or Jets should have more cap space.

Similar to revenue sharing. Teams in smaller markets like the Jags can exist because big market teams are pulling more weight.

That's literally the last full paragraph of my thread starter, so yes I agree.

• Upvote 1