State income tax a stated factor in Shaq Barrett picking Mia over NYJ

Same tired old argument.   NY has become a cesspool, people realize it. My brother lives in Tampa, all 3 of his kids went to public schools, all scored 1400 plus on SATs.  
Good parenting matters.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

41 minutes ago, extmenace said:

But the tax differences don't mean much to these guys because they are already making so much money? Nobody factors in taxes when deciding where they want to play!

Except they do, dude.  Stop trying to rationalize it.  It matters.  Not to everyone, but in the list of factors, making more money than you would elsewhere IS a factor.  

At bare minimum it’s a tiebreaker for these guys if they see 2 destinations as similar opportunities.  

• Upvote 3

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Except they do, dude.  Stop trying to rationalize it.  It matters.  Not to everyone, but in the list of factors, making more money than you would elsewhere IS a factor.  

It’s a huge a factor. Especially when you’re trying to decide between mediocre teams. You can take less if you’re going to a great team, if you’re looking at middle of the pack teams, the money matters. Been saying it for years, it’s a huge reason why this team has a hard time landing the big time free agents.

51 minutes ago, extmenace said:

But the tax differences don't mean much to these guys because they are already making so much money? Nobody factors in taxes when deciding where they want to play!

If you move to a state where 5-10% of your gross goes to taxes, and housing is more expensive, that is less attractive then more money and cheaper housing.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The only thing I'd say about roads is it's a lot easier to manage roads where it never snows & freezes. As a result, they don't get nearly the quantity or severity of our giant potholes; so they don't need to repave every road in the city/state every decade, where before you're done with all of them you already have to restart the first one again, and in the meantime those last 5 years before a full repaving we're all driving over a landmine of holes and patches.

So it's not in the same galaxy of difficulty to manage, but still no one can seriously believe they're handling our awful roads about as well as can be done.

Anyway yes the roads here are awful and NYC is a cesspool.

My kids all went to schools up I95 in Connecticut and Massholia. To this day when you cross between NY and CT, you notice immediately the New England states' roads are in significantly better shape. And when you cross into or out of NYC, you notice again that the roads are even worse than that.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Lol! Doubt it's Goodell who's among those who really care; it's not his money, and it's not his individual team put at an advantage or disadvantage compared to today.

I was only suggesting it'd be a fairer system; not that it's got a chance of happening.

It's actually a smart, fair way to balance the scales.  If I'm not mistaken, The NFL SHARED all proceeds across the board when it came to monies spent on uniforms,hats etc by fans.  

22 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

News flash roch people pah way more tax vect it is progressive tax brackets and the lowest on the rung by far the least. #commonsense

Yeah,......Sure they do.  Warren Buffet says hi for starters. Not having this discussion here.  

6 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Sure. There are nice places everywhere in the country. The thing about Jersey people is most have never been on an airplane and eat dinner and their mothers every Sunday. So they are a bit biased imo. Also, why do they have a state income tax that absurd? Jersey transit stinks and colleges don’t even look at SAT scores anymore. If anything the state should be taking less of your money. 

that really the generalized assumption? Very incorrect 1 if so. I guess cinema portrays jersey as the Italians who don’t leave the state and have the big Italian Sunday dinners. I am not Italian so wouldn’t know how true that is ha. I like many of my friends always did a ton of traveling. Went to out of state colleges, etc. Definitely went to a bar to watch football on Sundays many more times than a Sunday fam dinner. If I lived in Cali by the beach or somewhere like Miami, I probably wouldn’t have traveled half as much as I have.. NJ/ NYC people I would assume would be most traveled people in the county.. Everywhere you go is always nicer weather/ cheaper than home.

1 hour ago, Maynard13 said:

It's actually a smart, fair way to balance the scales.  If I'm not mistaken, The NFL SHARED all proceeds across the board when it came to monies spent on uniforms,hats etc by fans.  

Yea except for the Cowboys

53 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

that really the generalized assumption? Very incorrect 1 if so. I guess cinema portrays jersey as the Italians who don’t leave the state and have the big Italian Sunday dinners. I am not Italian so wouldn’t know how true that is ha. I like many of my friends always did a ton of traveling. Went to out of state colleges, etc. Definitely went to a bar to watch football on Sundays many more times than a Sunday fam dinner. If I lived in Cali by the beach or somewhere like Miami, I probably wouldn’t have traveled half as much as I have.. NJ/ NYC people I would assume would be most traveled people in the county.. Everywhere you go is always nicer weather/ cheaper than home.

I was joking.

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Yes, it was. 

Not even joking though.  It was pure skid row and I really saw bums sh*tTING in front of me.  

You don't have to say that you weren't joking.  I completely believe you.

My kids all went to schools up I95 in Connecticut and Massholia. To this day when you cross between NY and CT, you notice immediately the New England states' roads are in significantly better shape. And when you cross into or out of NYC, you notice again that the roads are even worse than that.
Roads are better outside NJ because NJ is corrupt as #&$. There are road projects still ongoing from when I was in high school decades ago.

• Upvote 2

You don't have to say that you weren't joking.  I completely believe you.
Common site in NYC .. seen it a number of times over the years. The worst is getting to work early and having to dodge people sh*t on the sidewalk before they are watered down .. and I worked in a posh side of town .

• Upvote 1

On 3/23/2024 at 8:55 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

We always suspected it, but here's more confirmation that these guys are well aware they make (keep) 10% less, on all their bonus and home game checks, if signing with the Jets over a no state tax team like Miami.

Years ago we used to be able to get past that with NYC being such a draw: night life and media hub and higher endorsements made up for a lot of that. Now the city has become a disgusting s***hole again like when I was a kid, and with there no longer being a need to be in a high population state or city to get publicity for big endorsements & such, what is left? A nice practice facility (yay) that's still over an hour drive to/from the city that's supposed to be a draw (unless you're driving at 6am on a weekend when there is no NYC draw anyway); crazy high prices for homes and property taxes; our awful + cold weather while they're in the area for most of the season (for many/most, nowhere near where they live or want to live in the off-season); and the final kick in the balls of a financial penalty where 10% of your bonus and home checks pay goes to the state. If there isn't the allure of playing with a proven winner here - which there isn't - it's really not an even. Every team having an even cap ceiling is itself a built-in uneven system, unintended as that may be. 

Mia, Tampa, Jax, Ten, Dal, Hou, Sea, LV get to discount their offers by millions. Especially on short (especially 1 year short) contracts where they can offer the bulk of the compensation paid out as signing & roster bonus at a 0% state tax rate. Having to outbid one player after another by ~10% and it cumulatively adds up to losing the ability to pay (or at least upgrade the quality of) an extra good/great veteran starter or two.

The league can't even-out all the states' tax rates, and can't even out weather and locations of course, but I'm thinking maybe they could fudge it so a base salary cap limit applies to teams in no tax states, and the rest get an increased cap ceiling bump by the amount of the respective states' marginal tax rates. If Miami gets a $255MM ceiling, the Jets get a $282MM ceiling. Or even if it's by just half that amount it would be a good start to leveling things. Otherwise even aside from weather/area draws, with the amounts the in-demand FAs make now this is now such a blatant bidding disadvantage for totally non-football reasons. 

And I don't even care about Shaq Barrett.

And you can’t pump your own gas. JFC

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Bugg said:

Some family moved to St.Augustine/Jacksonville and they love it. Personally the 95 degree thing would not be my choice but they insist it's a bit more temperate there. When the time comes to don sandals with socks and cease cutting my ear hair, figure to look in the Carolinas. We'll see. 

I could never do it, even without the extreme humidity. Even during summers in NY I get tired of the heat after a couple of weeks. By mid-August I'm counting down the days until Fall.

I couldn't handle being someplace where it's always warm/hot just like I couldn't handle a place that's always cold.

To me the seasons are like that friend or relative who's pleasant to see in small batches, but if they linger around too long you can't wait for them to leave.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I could never do it, even without the extreme humidity. Even during summers in NY I get tired of the heat after a couple of weeks. By mid-August I'm counting down the days until Fall.

I couldn't handle being someplace where it's always warm/hot just like I couldn't handle a place that's always cold.

To me the seasons are like that friend or relative who's tolerable in small batches, but if they linger around too long you can't wait for them to leave.

You would be surprised what you get use to.. I love the reaction of people who are from warm climates when they visit the North east in dead of winter. Meanwhile some from freezing climates will walk around nyc is T-shirts in the winter..

Our climate is so extreme, it feels likes it’s either hot as balls, or you freeze your nuts off.. the Spring and falls seem pretty short.. Southern California has great climate. Lived in San Diego for a yr. Never got hot and humid as it does in NJ, and definitely never anywhere near as cold. 

• Upvote 1

It would be the easiest thing in the world to even out the cap for different income tax rates if they decide that this is what they want to do.

If the stated goal of the salary cap is to create a level playing field then this could and should be addressed as part of the next CBA but I suspect some of the low-tax no-tax state teams are very aware of the advantage that this confers and they will not be keen to give it up. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/23/2024 at 6:46 PM, Sammybighead said:

If that's the reason a free agent chooses not to come here, they're probably over the hill and chasing the biggest payday and I don't want them anyways. 

If money is the sole factor deterring a free agent, they may be past their prime

On 3/24/2024 at 7:02 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

Lol! Doubt it's Goodell who's among those who really care; it's not his money, and it's not his individual team put at an advantage or disadvantage compared to today.

I was only suggesting it'd be a fairer system; not that it's got a chance of happening.

I am from the future, and I'm going to let you in on a secret.

No one cared about this, because the whole high-tax-states still managed to put together a team, even if they did miss the playoffs for over two decades.

It all changed, though - when Goodell wanted teams based in Europe to play 8 games there.   What was already a hard sell to get free agents to move their families to a different country, became impossible when they realized that they were going to have to fork up all that money to the EU.

So at the owners meeting 2028, the Jags made a proposal to make the cap for each team based on post-tax dollars.

You're welcome.

image.thumb.png.7fe3bb41a08b56e50722117513c6858c.png

• Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Edgy said:

I am from the future, and I'm going to let you in on a secret.

No one cared about this, because the whole high-tax-states still managed to put together a team, even if they did miss the playoffs for over two decades.

It all changed, though - when Goodell wanted teams based in Europe to play 8 games there.   What was already a hard sell to get free agents to move their families to a different country, became impossible when they realized that they were going to have to fork up all that money to the EU.

So at the owners meeting 2028, the Jags made a proposal to make the cap for each team based on post-tax dollars.

You're welcome.

image.thumb.png.7fe3bb41a08b56e50722117513c6858c.png

that was awesome!  You need to post more.

47 minutes ago, Dcat said:

that was awesome!  You need to post more.

I will post 30 times in two hours and then go away and lurk for 11 months and 29 days just like I have for the last two decades.

Thank you though.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, EM31 said:

It would be the easiest thing in the world to even out the cap for different income tax rates if they decide that this is what they want to do.

If the stated goal of the salary cap is to create a level playing field then this could and should be addressed as part of the next CBA but I suspect some of the low-tax no-tax state teams are very aware of the advantage that this confers and they will not be keen to give it up. 

It is not so much a level playing field.  More like a barrier to allow Green Bay and other small markets to compete on the same field as a NY, LA, Chicago, etc.

The big markets still benefit from having a larger market and more disposable income than the small markets.  The three NY teams spent over 300 million in guaranteed money on their respective QBs.  Large markets will be alright.  Manage the roster better.

3 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

It is not so much a level playing field.  More like a barrier to allow Green Bay and other small markets to compete on the same field as a NY, LA, Chicago, etc.

The big markets still benefit from having a larger market and more disposable income than the small markets.  The three NY teams spent over 300 million in guaranteed money on their respective QBs.  Large markets will be alright.  Manage the roster better.

This post makes zero sense on any level.  Larger markets have more millionaires.  So what?  This is about. Cap dollars and the amount that can be spent on player salaries.  Cap dollars are exactly the same for every team so a state with 10% income tax is 10% less attractive to a prospective free agent than a state with no income tax.  That is like starting a 100 meter race ten meters behind some other competitors.

The NFL will be forced to address this issue if they want any expansion into Europe where income tax rates are even higher.

This is a level playing field issue, period.

i woud rather pay that state income tax than go through that horrible humidity of heat of training camp and im from south fla. i didnt want to even go outside during the summer, let alone go through grueling practices during the summer. i know a lot of these guys are from down there so theyre more used to the heat - which gives teams like miami an edge from sept to end of october. thats why they start off great and win a majority of their home games during the first half of the season. then you notice they always come back down to earth when the weather cools off some.

this is why i never played high school football. too fuking hot!