Official NFL Draft Rumors and News Thread

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

He’s basically said as much. Not sure that means we’re drafting a QB but Saleh feels like he’s on borrowed time here.

If woody believes douglas is here beyond this season, but saleh is on borrowed time, that would lend itself more to possibly investing in a developmental qb.  But there’s a big difference between taking pratt in the 4th and nix in round 1.  

Just now, CTJetsFan said:

Penix supposedly killed it at his pro day yesterday. In addition to his great combine performance, I wonder if he now pushes into the top 10?

That would be an outstanding event for our draft.  Squeezing a 4th or even a 5th QB into the top 10 would get us Alt or Odunze.  Would stop JD from even considering TE in rd 1.  ugh.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

That would be an outstanding event for our draft.  Squeezing a 4th or even a 5th QB into the top 10 would get us Alt or Odunze.  Would stop JD from even considering TE in rd 1.  ugh.

100%.

Even if he doesn't get drafted ahead of our pick, it could make #10 more enticing for a team to come up and get him so we can trade back a bit.

• Upvote 4

Baseless theory - Cardinals have shown a willingness to move up and down in the draft. They also identified a guy they wanted last year in Paris Johnson who was a high end character player at a premium offensive position and passed on Will Anderson who was still fit that bill and was the top position player in the draft.

They have a huge WR need. This year maybe it’s not Marvin Harrison Jr. they love but it’s Odunze. And they take a haul to move down with a team who wants Harrison or McCarthy only to monitor the WR board and try to come back up and get Odunze.

15 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Random idea, and I've been a bit out of the loop lately, but is Tee Higgins still angling for a trade?  I'd love to see some sort of creative tradeback with Cincy to #20 for Tee Higgins.  Maybe the Jets trade #10, their 3rd round pick, and a pick next year for Higgins and the Bengals' #20?  No idea if that would work but getting WR Higgins and then being positioned for an OT at #20 in a deep OT class would be a bit of a homerun IMO.

I absolutely love this idea, but a big issue is that we'd need to extend him. And Garrett Wilson will be eligible for an extension after the season too.

Sadly, pretty sure the Jets won't be able to make it work cap-wise unless Higgins is willing to do something tricksy with void years and a back-loaded contract. A rookie deal would suit the Jets a lot better, although as many have said I have a hard time seeing one of the big 3 fall to us... I like the direction you're going but it might suit the Jets better to find someone already on a team friendly deal (if someone like that exists)

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Penix supposedly killed it at his pro day yesterday. In addition to his great combine performance, I wonder if he now pushes into the top 10?

So the LT would now be the RT & vice-versa for this southpaw? He has a smooth motion.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

Is Rodgers coming back or are they firing Douglas? Because I really don’t see it being both. 

Rodgers is on contract for absolutely massive money through 2025. He's going nowhere. 

Joe Douglas is also under contract through 2025. While I could see him getting an extension if the Jets actually win a playoff game (hahahahahahahahano), what seems by far most likely is that both get 1 last shot in 2025 regardless of how this season goes. Of course, if the season is a massive disaster JD might be gone, but either way I can't see how the Jets can escape Aaron unless he chooses to move on himself. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

So the LT would now be the RT & vice-versa for this southpaw? He has a smooth motion.

Not sure how teams handle that with a lefty QB. Do they take a LT prospect and put him on the right side or just find the best pass blocking natural RT?

49 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

100%.

Even if he doesn't get drafted ahead of our pick, it could make #10 more enticing for a team to come up and get him so we can trade back a bit.

The only viable option for a potential trade down that I can see is if the Vikes fail to trade ahead of us for a QB, and then someone is looking to jump ahead of them for one. But I fully expect them to trade up. 

59 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I expect four QBs to go in the top ten. The wildcard would then be whether Chicago goes WR3 or Edge1 in the spot ahead of us. Of course, the Giants could also go the WR3 route, too, but there’s a lot of smoke around the QBs with them that’s hard to ignore. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

What would be ideal is if the Broncos, Raiders or Saints come get him and trade up to 10 with us! Let's hope so. I assume the Vikings won't as they pick right after us and signs are already pointing toward them moving into the top 10. 

It actually feels logical for one of those teams to move into the Jets slot, IF they're truly looking for a round 1 QB. Our spot guarantees their guy over the other QB needy teams. Moving to the Bears #9 slot could also work and would suit us just fine (assuming the Falcons go defense, which should leave us Odunze)

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Rodgers is on contract for absolutely massive money through 2025. He's going nowhere. 

Joe Douglas is also under contract through 2025. While I could see him getting an extension if the Jets actually win a playoff game (hahahahahahahahano), what seems by far most likely is that both get 1 last shot in 2025 regardless of how this season goes. Of course, if the season is a massive disaster JD might be gone, but either way I can't see how the Jets can escape Aaron unless he chooses to move on himself. 

This is my take. Rodgers agreed to join JD and Saleh here, it’s hard to imagine a regime change during his tenure. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, slats said:

The only viable option for a potential trade down that I can see is if the Vikes fail to trade ahead of us for a QB, and then someone is looking to jump ahead of them for one. But I fully expect them to trade up. 

I expect four QBs to go in the top ten. The wildcard would then be whether Chicago goes WR3 or Edge1 in the spot ahead of us. Of course, the Giants could also go the WR3 route, too, but there’s a lot of smoke around the QBs with them that’s hard to ignore. 

What about LV or DEN coming up to 10 for a QB (if the Vikes have already traded up into the top 5)?

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, CTJetsFan said:

What about LV coming up to 10 for a QB (if the Vikes have already traded up into the top 5)?

To jump Denver? It’s certainly possible. The chart says that’s worth their third rounder. That becomes more attractive, I suppose, if three WRs are gone by then. Swapping their second for our third would also fit the chart. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, slats said:

To jump Denver? It’s certainly possible. The chart says that’s worth their third rounder. That becomes more attractive, I suppose, if three WRs are gone by then. Swapping their second for our third would also fit the chart. 

Or Denver coming up to 10. If we pick up a 3rd for doing so we can either keep them or use 2 3rds as ammo to get back into the 2nd round. May cost us a 4th as well in a deal with either DEN or LV (to pick up a 3rd).

All this is assuming the top 3 WRs are off the board by the time we pick at #10. I think we can still get a really good OT if we pick before 15 and then have assets for a WR in round 2 if we trade up (or round 3 if we stay there).

25 minutes ago, slats said:

This is my take. Rodgers agreed to join JD and Saleh here, it’s hard to imagine a regime change during his tenure. 

Aaron Rodgers is like a corporate veil level of protection for Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh. Bringing Aaron Rodgers in was a brilliant move by them for their sake. It gave them a mulligan for sure. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Aaron Rodgers is like a corporate veil level of protection for Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh. Bringing Aaron Rodgers in was a brilliant move by them for their sake. It gave them a mulligan for sure. 

I think the plan was for Rodgers to play and play well last year but, yeah, I do think they’re now a package deal. 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

he's a very different threat than thomas.  thomas is your classic tall fast home run threat.  bowers seems like a double machine ala pete rose.  

bowers is risky but if his game translates to the nfl, i think he's going to be very good.  he can get open, catch and run.  

Risky, But, If.  No thanks at 10.

47 minutes ago, slats said:

FWIW, kiper’s new rankings has fautanu at 9 and btj at 11.  Alt is 8.  If the jets rankings are similar, then you’d have to think btj would be in the mix to be taken at 10.  Also interesting that he has fuaga at 18 while fautanu is 9.  If the jets want a tackle i think it’s alt or fautanu. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Or Denver coming up to 10. If we pick up a 3rd for doing so we can either keep them or use 2 3rds as ammo to get back into the 2nd round. May cost us a 4th as well in a deal with either DEN or LV (to pick up a 3rd).

All this is assuming the top 3 WRs are off the board by the time we pick at #10. I think we can still get a really good OT if we pick before 15 and then have assets for a WR in round 2 if we trade up (or round 3 if we stay there).

I agree about the OT. 

Denver moving up to 10 would only happen, I believe, if the Vikings don't end up moving up from 11. Otherwise, when the Jets are on the board at 10, it's just us and whoever the Vikes traded with -- assumably, neither of us will be interested in QB, so the Broncos would have no reason to jump up. Broncos also don't have a 2nd rounder so they're probably not looking to move up aggressively (unless they're paranoid someone takes their "guy").

As slats said, the Raiders jumping the Broncos is the prime scenario. There's also a very weird and unlikely scenario where the Giants and Vikings swap #7 and #11, but I really doubt that.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

FWIW, kiper’s new rankings has fautanu at 9 and btj at 11.  Alt is 8.  If the jets rankings are similar, then you’d have to think btj would be in the mix to be taken at 10.  Also interesting that he has fuaga at 18 while fautanu is 9.  If the jets want a tackle i think it’s alt or fautanu. 

God I hope not. This may be a hot take, but i think BTJ is looking more likely to be a bust than not. 

Especially if we don't trade back, I'll be very upset if we take him.

1 hour ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Joe Douglas is also under contract through 2025. 

I did not think either of these were true.

Rodgers can be cut in 2025 and if designated June 1 the hit can be spread across 2025 and 2026.  Very little of Rodgers $75mm guaranteed for 2023 and 2024 were actually allocated to the cap yet.  Which is kind of irresponsible.   If Rodgers is on the roster in 2025, his cap hit is like $60mm, and he gets paid another $35mm in cash.  

I thought this was JD’s last year.  

3 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

I agree about the OT. 

Denver moving up to 10 would only happen, I believe, if the Vikings don't end up moving up from 11. Otherwise, when the Jets are on the board at 10, it's just us and whoever the Vikes traded with -- assumably, neither of us will be interested in QB, so the Broncos would have no reason to jump up. Broncos also don't have a 2nd rounder so they're probably not looking to move up aggressively (unless they're paranoid someone takes their "guy").

As slats said, the Raiders jumping the Broncos is the prime scenario. There's also a very weird and unlikely scenario where the Giants and Vikings swap #7 and #11, but I really doubt that.

Only reason I can think of for the Broncos to move up is if they think the Raiders are trying to move ahead of them to take a QB they want. Could be McCarthy and Penix on the board at that time. Nix too.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I would love Fautanu...but only if the top 3 WRs (MHJ, Nabers and Rome) are off the board and the top 2 OTs (Alt & Fashanu) are gone and no option to trade back less than 5 slots.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Only reason I can think of for the Broncos to move up is if they think the Raiders are trying to move ahead of them to take a QB they want. Could be McCarthy and Penix on the board at that time. Nix too.

Also, if the giants really want a qb and trade up to 4, and 4 qbs go with the first 4 picks, then the Vikings are also left out of the qb derby.  So it’s possible there is going to be a race to get nix and/or penix after that, with denver, minny, LV and maybe another team in the mix. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

True. I suppose if we're real lucky we can get them in a bid war. I think if the Broncos are really looking for a QB they're just praying someone is there at 12 (due to the aforementioned lack of picks) but if them and the Raiders both know they're interested in Nix or Penix, who knows?

Personally, I think and hope the Jets screw the Broncos over by helping out the Raiders if that's the case. Maybe JD carries a grudge for Hackett and ar8 lol

• Upvote 1

Just now, CTJetsFan said:

I would love Fautanu...but only if the top 3 WRs (MHJ, Nabers and Rome) are off the board and the top 2 OTs (Alt & Fashanu) are gone and no option to trade back less than 5 slots.

If the jets go OL at 10 he’s the guy.  He can play guard on opening day and slide to tackle if someone gets hurt.  He makes a ton of sense over a guy like fuaga.  He’s the OL who is a win now and later guy.  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

Or maybe there are variables outside of a players' control that impact their production. Namely, offensive coordinator, run/pass ratio, quarterback, injuries, and much more. The Lions offense was stacked and finished fifth in points (27.1 per game), second in passing yards (258.9 per game), fifth in rushing yards (135.9), and third in total touchdowns (58).

You're asking me to place a wager when I don't even know where Bowers be playing or who will be throwing him the ball. That's dumb, and I'm sure you know it. And most importantly, it is no indication of what I think of the actual player.

Man, if only there were some way of assessing in advance how "variables outside of a player's control that impact their production" might play out for a given player. That would be amazing.

I would think "look at the history of how other players at their position have done coming into the league" would be a method, but what do I know? Clearly that's not something applicable to Brock Bowers.

Just now, Augustiniak said:

Also, if the giants really want a qb and trade up to 4, and 4 qbs go with the first 4 picks, then the Vikings are also left out of the qb derby.  So it’s possible there is going to be a race to get nix and/or penix after that, with denver, minny, LV and maybe another team in the mix. 

That'd be weird, but since the giants may be thinking that the chargers are likely to trade back, I guess it's not out of the question...

Chargers fans will be having a goddamn party if MHJ lands at 5 for them hahaha. I don't mind the scenario you're spinning, although I'd rather like MHJ to land in the NFC

1 minute ago, Mr. Rogers said:

That'd be weird, but since the giants may be thinking that the chargers are likely to trade back, I guess it's not out of the question...

Chargers fans will be having a goddamn party if MHJ lands at 5 for them hahaha. I don't mind the scenario you're spinning, although I'd rather like MHJ to land in the NFC

If the chargers want a wr and don’t want to trade back far that’s a good easy haul for them.  

1 hour ago, slats said:

Could just as easily be "we want one of MHJ or Nabors"; easiest way for the Giants to make that happen is to convince another team that they need to trade into the top 5 for a QB

16 minutes ago, varjet said:

I did not think either of these were true.

Rodgers can be cut in 2025 and if designated June 1 the hit can be spread across 2025 and 2026.  Very little of Rodgers $75mm guaranteed for 2023 and 2024 were actually allocated to the cap yet.  Which is kind of irresponsible.   If Rodgers is on the roster in 2025, his cap hit is like $60mm, and he gets paid another $35mm in cash.  

I thought this was JD’s last year.  

Google is your friend... but no, JD signed a 6 year contract in 2019.

Rodgers cap hits are gonna be insane no matter how we treat him, but I'm pretty sure cutting him before 2025 would make his 2026 and 2027 hits beyond belief. His 2026 hit is already 35m, and we'd probably be adding at least 35m more to that year and subsequent ones. The Jets may end up needing to restructure his contract again next year anyway to accommodate the many guys we need to extend, but I believe they will want to avoid sending additional huge dead cap hits into the post-Rodgers future as best they can. 

Edit: with JD and Saleh also being on the last years of their contract in 2025, I'm not even sure Woody would allow this. He'd probably want to keep his options open for the years after. As myself (and slats) have said, I believe we're stuck with Rodgers/JD/Saleh no matter what. Saleh may be the exception if woody and JD wanna try something different in 2025.

23 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Google is your friend... but no, JD signed a 6 year contract in 2019.

Rodgers cap hits are gonna be insane no matter how we treat him, but I'm pretty sure cutting him before 2025 would make his 2026 and 2027 hits beyond belief. His 2026 hit is already 35m, and we'd probably be adding at least 35m more to that year and subsequent ones. The Jets may end up needing to restructure his contract again next year anyway to accommodate the many guys we need to extend, but I believe they will want to avoid sending additional huge dead cap hits into the post-Rodgers future as best they can. 

Edit: with JD and Saleh also being on the last years of their contract in 2025, I'm not even sure Woody would allow this. He'd probably want to keep his options open for the years after. As myself (and slats) have said, I believe we're stuck with Rodgers/JD/Saleh no matter what. Saleh may be the exception if woody and JD wanna try something different in 2025.

He signed the contract in June of 2019 though. Unless it’s a six and a half year contract, if he’s coming off a bad season I’d think it’s more likely they have someone else do free agency and the draft and eat the last four months of his deal than do the Maccagnan firing again.

13 hours ago, derp said:

I think infinitely is quite hyperbolic, especially if you’re talking about a pick in the back end of the top ten. You’re talking about weighing having pick eight and a hole at left tackle or no pick eight and a left tackle who’s been developing behind Tyron Smith for a year. Yeah, you’d probably rather have eight, but it’s not this absolute chasm where you’re going to hire a quality candidate with eight and a bad candidate with the tackle. Somebody’s going to take the job because there aren’t many and either way it won’t be a top of the market candidate.

And it’s really really diving into the team falls apart scenario - which is possible and within the realm of outcomes, but not the only outcome. You’re weighing one against the other like the team’s definitely going 7-10 and, granted I’m not terribly optimistic when it comes to the Jets, but there are definitely other scenarios.

I’m using the <7-10 scenario because anything else means Douglas is likely coming back. The most likely result of this season is that Rodgers stays mostly healthy, the Jets cobble together ten wins and compete for a playoff spot all the way through. I think that’ll be good enough for Woody to offer up some extensions. BUT, in the event Rodgers, or Tyron Smith, or Garrett Wilson etc, don’t stay healthy and the <7-10 season occurs, imo, I don’t think the project tackle that Joe Douglas (who has been terrible with his tackles) selects and hands off to the execrable Keith Carter to coach up helps them all that much in the recruitment of a GM whom you hope can undo some of the damage left behind by the current regime.