Official NFL Draft Rumors and News Thread

5 minutes ago, section314 said:

I could see the Giants taking Bowers .

This. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned more. Especially if Waller retires.

I know there's a lot of smoke around them re: QB's, but I don't think Bowers is out of the question for them.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

If you think Bowers has anything in common with other first round TE busts who have come before him, then you have no idea who or what you're watching.

Bowers is to tight ends what Christian McCaffrey is to running backs, what Lamar Jackson is to QBs, and what Micah Parsons is to edge players.

You all lazily looking at TE before his name is clouding your evaluation. It's lazy and dumb.

Oh, definitely, definitely. Dude who refuses to workout is likely a unicorn. Bowers will be meh as a rookie. What he is long term ... who knows?

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Dcat said:

Everyone except you talking about WRs falling to 10 is crazy.  1st of all the Cardinals have invested a fortune in Murray and here is Murray's WR room: Michael Wilson, Chris moore, Zac Pascal, Dan Chisena, Daniel Arias and Kayden Davis. That's it.

And people here think they are not drafting the best WR on the board?  Too funny.   If harrison goes earlier, they will draft Nabors. If both gone they will draft Odunze. Everyone should take another look at that Arizona WR room. Now compare it to ours. They signed Jonah Williams and have Paris Campbell.  They are not drafting OT at 4. 

More importantly.  Everyone here has to stop the delusion that one of the top 3 WRs is falling to 10.  No.  It won't be happening.  I know, it's really disappointing. It seemed possible a month ago.  Not any more. Neither those 3 nor Alt will be at 10.  Either Douglas trades out of 10, drafts Fashanu or Bowers.  Anything else would be miraculous.  

AZ will have their choice of whoever they want at WR with the 4th pick

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

IMO, hanging your hat on a 3rd round WR makes more sense than hanging your hat on a 3rd round OL in this draft. 

I have way more faith in finding a capable OL in the 3rd round who will not be expected to start and can grow into the position and fill in when needed behind a veteran OL as opposed to a WR who can start out as a WR3 or even maybe start and will be on the field way more often and will have a more impactful role than a backup OL this season. 

as much as I love the top 3 WRs in the draft, FML if JD trades UP for one of them.

So pretend Bowers is a WR - is he less risky now?

Conklin is the TE. Bowers is an offensive playmaker - why do you care whether they call him a TE or a WR?

His risk profile doesn’t change by renaming his “position.”
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

This. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned more. Especially if Waller retires.

I know there's a lot of smoke around them re: QB's, but I don't think Bowers is out of the question for them.

I could see QB because the current guys didn't draft Jones but why give him that huge deal?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JohnnyLV said:

I think they take Rome in an instant over Bowers. SO much risk with Bowers. Then again JD did choose Becton over Wirfs, and MacDonald over a receiver.

Take MacD over a WR may turn out to be a blessing if the Jets can land one of the top 3 this draft.

All 3 IMO are better prospects than the guys who were on the board at 15 last year. 

If the Jets took one then we are drafting defense at 10 this year.

So basically I’m saying it would have been WR last year edge this year.

Instead hopefully it’s WR this year and Edge last year.

We have no control over any of this but with Saleh he was getting his edge player one way or the other like it or not.

1 minute ago, Jack Straw said:

Conklin is the TE. Bowers is an offensive playmaker - why do you care whether they call him a TE or a WR?

sure in a psychedelic imaginary world

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

bowers is mostly a slot wr who presents mismatches.  he will occasionally line up as an in line TE.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

bowers is mostly a slot wr who presents mismatches.  he will occasionally line up as an in line TE.

Right.  So does everybody figure him as #4 receiving option this year?  I assume the top 3 are better options, but after that tier do we think Bowers is next?  I assume most have him over Thomas.

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Right.  So does everybody figure him as #4 receiving option this year?  I assume the top 3 are better options, but after that tier do we think Bowers is next?  I assume most have him over Thomas.

he's a very different threat than thomas.  thomas is your classic tall fast home run threat.  bowers seems like a double machine ala pete rose.  

bowers is risky but if his game translates to the nfl, i think he's going to be very good.  he can get open, catch and run.  

16 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I have way more faith in finding a capable OL in the 3rd round who will not be expected to start and can grow into the position and fill in when needed behind a veteran OL as opposed to a WR who can start out as a WR3 or even maybe start and will be on the field way more often and will have a more impactful role than a backup OL this season. 

It really depends on who is there, of course. Tbh, my preference at 10 is Odunze (if he’s there) over either an OT or Bowers. I’m just not a fan of trading up.

I’m all about doubling up at OL and WR. I want two of each in this draft. I’d be more open to trading up if we had a 2nd round pick. But, as is, LOT of good players will come off the board between our first and 3rd round picks. If anything, we need morel picks, not fewer picks. 

and I’ll just reiterate that I like a bunch of WRs in this draft. 

4 hours ago, derp said:

Do you think whether or not the Jets have pick #8 after everything goes sideways will be the difference between being able to hire a good GM candidate or a bad GM candidate? Or are we just talking about varying degrees of bad GM candidates?

I think if the season goes sideways and Douglas gets fired, the Jets come to the hiring pool offering up no first round pick, no QB, and a massive dead cap hit from the Rodgers contract. Who wants that job? 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jack Straw said:

OK, fine, but you don't hold an OC's ineptitude against the player in your evaluations. You draft great players and let the coaches figure it out. If that's how we define "risk," we'd never draft anyone at any offensive position. I have zero faith in Keith Carter, but that doesn't mean I'm not drafting a great OT at 10 if he's there. 

And using Bowers effectively is pretty simple. Just find a way to get the ball into his hands (bubble screens, slants, hooks, whatever). If anything, he idiot-proofs this offense and makes it simple and easy on the offensive line and QB. His greatest differentiator is what he does after the catch. The same "dunce" that it Nathaniel Hackett found a way to get a very average Tyler Conklin 61 catches with Zach Wilson, Tim Boyle, and Trevor Semien playing QB. 

If he Hackett can do that with Conklin and three QB3's throwing the football, then what can he do with Aaron Rodgers and Brock Bowers?

Everyone is overthinking this IMO.

You have to as a coach and gm, unfortunately.  They chose Rodgers, they chose hackett they are going all in with these to and they know or should know what this means.

They'll draft Bowers and then use him like Atlanta did with pitts the last two years and then it will be another bum pick of a tight end.

That is a legit risk, the quality of the player?  Low risk, the situation you put him in and use him?  Big risk.

I admit I am jaded but I have ZERO confodnce the jets would do anything other than just stick bowers into the traditional TE role.

32 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

If Bowers is a WR he's a third round pick

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think if the season goes sideways and Douglas gets fired, the Jets come to the hiring pool offering up no first round pick, no QB, and a massive dead cap hit from the Rodgers contract. Who wants that job? 

I’m just glad someone’s thinking about the season going into the crapper. 

This is an unattractive job. The fire everybody crowd, they don’t get it. Joke of a franchise, crap stadium with maybe the league’s worst field, garbage weather, high cost of living, intense media/fan scrutiny/criticism, and I could go on. Tough to attract a quality GM under those conditions and then, even when you have one, it’s still hard for that guy to attract players/coaches to the team. Even with a first round pick. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, slats said:

This is an unattractive job. The fire everybody crowd, they don’t get it. Joke of a franchise, crap stadium with maybe the league’s worst field, garbage weather, high cost of living, intense media/fan scrutiny/criticism, and I could go on. Tough to attract a quality GM under those conditions and then, even when you have one, it’s still hard for that guy to attract players/coaches to the team. Even with a first round pick. 

if you have a good qb it's good.  the jets never do. 

4 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

If Bowers is a WR he's a third round pick

Yes, because 6'3 240lb WRs who run a sub 4.5 forty w/ 40 inch verticals and have 175 career catches, 2500+ yards, and 26 TDs are always found in the third round.

Give me a break.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Jack Straw said:

Yes, because 6'3 240lb WRs who run a sub 4.5 forty w/ 40 inch verticals and have 175 career catches, 2500+ yards, and 26 TDs are always found in the third round.

Give me a break.

He's a 4.5s guy (from last year's times, anyway), which is fast for a TE and slow for a WR. And yes, big but slow WRs tend to fall.

Anyway, sit and wait for the season. Want to put $50 to a charity of the other guy's choosing that Bowers has a worse season next year than Sam LaPorta did this year?

14 minutes ago, slats said:

Agreed with all of the above, but it’s better to have the eighth overall pick in hand when you’re begging a new GM to take the job. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, slats said:

I agree. If I’m the Chargers, I’m all in on the WR. But I can also see Harbaugh looking to build for the long term with Herbert under contract for six years, and seeing Alt as as too valuable a cornerstone to pass up. 

Rome could easily be gone by #10, I just don’t want him to be! 

I agree that the Chargers may be seriously looking at Alt. I also think they are THE most likely candidates to trade back with the Vikings, knowing the Vikings will want to jump the Giants and that LAC can get a solid OT at 11 and WR at 23.

Here's the real question - if Alt goes to LAC, what do we expect from TEN? I don't know their needs well, I think edge (Turner) becomes a valid pick as does WR. Things will get odd if LA takes Alt!

3 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

I agree that the Chargers may be seriously looking at Alt. I also think they are THE most likely candidates to trade back with the Vikings, knowing the Vikings will want to jump the Giants and that LAC can get a solid OT at 11 and WR at 23.

Here's the real question - if Alt goes to LAC, what do we expect from TEN? I don't know their needs well, I think edge (Turner) becomes a valid pick as does WR. Things will get odd if LA takes Alt!

Titans signed Calvin Ridley and already have Hopkins. I think it's safe to say they won't be going WE in the 1st

45 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I got that from the post I quoted but that’s why I asked the follow up. So I’ll ask again.

Let’s you take exactly what you said, which also includes a second year first round left tackle. If you then swap out the second year first round tackle for a first round pick and now have no tackle with starting experience on the roster, do you think that significantly changes the GM pool you’re looking at?

Shy of the team going 3-14 I don’t personally think it moves the needle in any meaningful way.

4 minutes ago, derp said:

I got that from the post I quoted but that’s why I asked the follow up. So I’ll ask again.

Let’s you take exactly what you said, which also includes a second year first round left tackle. If you then swap out the second year first round tackle for a first round pick and now have no tackle with starting experience on the roster, do you think that significantly changes the GM pool you’re looking at?

Shy of the team going 3-14 I don’t personally think it moves the needle in any meaningful way.

If you’re the incoming GM would you rather have the eighth pick next year or the OT7(?) from the draft prior? 

11 minutes ago, King P said:

Titans signed Calvin Ridley and already have Hopkins. I think it's safe to say they won't be going WE in the 1st

Hopkins is 32 and has 1 year left on his deal. If the Jets and Bears are speculated to look at long term replacements for Mike Will and Keenan Allen, i think it makes sense for the titans to look long term at WR too. 

The titans have needs all over, so I'm not saying you're wrong. I don't think them or the Bears would he wise to go WR at this time, but I don't think it's off the table either. They'll want to try and build around Levis while he's still on that rookie deal. 

• Upvote 1

Apparently Brian Kelly let it slip that Washington is taking Jayden Daniels.

During an interview during quarterback Jayden Daniels' pro day on Wednesday, LSU head coach Brian Kelly hinted where his Heisman Trophy winner will land in this year's draft.

"He's going to be so committed to taking care of himself that you're not going to have to worry about size or he doesn't weigh enough," Kelly said. "Lamar's (Jackson) done a pretty good job with his size. (Patrick) Mahomes, I wouldn't consider him a giant. He's gonna get the ball out to his playmakers and make plays for Washington."

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Apparently Brian Kelly let it slip that Washington is taking Jayden Daniels.

During an interview during quarterback Jayden Daniels' pro day on Wednesday, LSU head coach Brian Kelly hinted where his Heisman Trophy winner will land in this year's draft.

"He's going to be so committed to taking care of himself that you're not going to have to worry about size or he doesn't weigh enough," Kelly said. "Lamar's (Jackson) done a pretty good job with his size. (Patrick) Mahomes, I wouldn't consider him a giant. He's gonna get the ball out to his playmakers and make plays for Washington."

And the pats are taking maye.  

There are 3 WRs and one OT that everyone would be thrilled to have.  In a draft where 4 QBs are likely to go top-9, we only need 2 defensive players to go as well.  And it won't happen.  We are going to watch all four of those guys get drafted ahead of our pick.  And if JJM goes top-9, I'm not seeing any reason someone would want to trade up to #10.  

I'm pretty sure we are taking an OT but I cannot for the life of me guess which one.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

There are 3 WRs and one OT that everyone would be thrilled to have.  In a draft where 4 QBs are likely to go top-9, we only need 2 defensive players to go as well.  And it won't happen.  We are going to watch all four of those guys get drafted ahead of our pick.  And if JJM goes top-9, I'm not seeing any reason someone would want to trade up to #10.  

I'm pretty sure we are taking an OT but I cannot for the life of me guess which one.

I think it’s rome or bowers or a trade back.  I don’t see a tackle at 10.  And why are they scouting nix today?  Trade back?