Official NFL Draft Rumors and News Thread

21 minutes ago, Dcat said:

projected late day 3 pick or UDFA.  But those rise up unexpectedly every year so one never knows.

19 minutes ago, Larz said:

Watch the video?

Just razzing y’all. He’s got promising measurables. Will go inside the top 100 I would think.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Just razzing y’all. He’s got promising measurables. Will go inside the top 100 I would think.

Sorry my razz meter battery died 😂

This is such an interesting draft. Many more possibilities than usual. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

Breece Hall was a dramatically better pick than Saquon Barkley because Barkley’s draft position gave him $31M fully guaranteed while the Jets are paying Breece just $9M over four years. 

Point taken, but Breece is an interesting case study when it comes to positional value.  There were a few people who, at the time, given how the RB position has been devalued in the last few years, criticized the Jets not only for taking Breece so high, but also for giving up draft assets to trade up to get him (reportedly, they even tried to trade back into Round 1 for him).  And we see what an impact player he is.

RB used to be considered a premier position draft-wise, with RBs routinely being taken top-10 on a yearly basis.  Breece has performed at least as well, if not better, than many of the guys who were taken a round earlier.  Arguably, he's performed at a top-10-in-the-draft level, or at least has the potential to get there if he stays healthy and has an at-least-mediocre OL in front of him.  He appears to have been a steal where he was drafted, and perhaps the prevailing thought of a RB's value that year was wrong.

Positional value is very subjective and fluid.  Were running backs valued too highly before, or are they valued too lowly now?  And who makes that decision?  Just because something is a trend, it doesn't mean it's wise. 

• Upvote 2

If Rosengarten is so much better than mitchell and warren as has been suggested we will have to use our 3rd rounder on him.  Other wise i file him into that same category, we have two mid round OTs that are not suited to guard, why not add one more.

On 3/29/2024 at 12:15 PM, Jack Straw said:

Using your logic, Christian McCaffrey shouldn't have been drafted at #8 because it's a high-risk position with plenty of busts to point to as evidence against him.

Lamar Jackson isn't worth a 1st round pick because the QB bust rate is through the roof, and RGIII was out of the league in handful of years.

Micah Parsons is not worth the #12 pick -- after all, he is only a LB -- drafting those in the first round makes no sense because it's the 10th most important position on the defense.

Kyle Hamilton isn't worth a top 15 pick because blah blah blah he's only a safety, and that's the 11th most important position on the defense.

Quenton Nelson isn't worth a top 10 pick because he's only a guard and Leonard Davis and Chance Warmack busted before him.

When you lazily lump these players into a box because they play a certain position, you refuse to examine all of the things that make them different than everyone else before them. In a redraft, everyone I listed would be a top 5 pick. Brock Bowers, like everyone else on this list, is fundamentally different than those before him and will redefine the position.

Your "method" is lazy and refuses to examine the player beyond the "position" he plays. It's all rather silly and shortsighted, to say the least.

You're terrible at this. 

On 3/27/2024 at 3:12 PM, Mr. Rogers said:

If we can do this for only a 4, I'd agree. I do think there's an issue though - the logic from the Falcons end would be that they can get the same guy at 8 or 10. But if (assumably) Odunze goes to us at 8, what does Chicago do? Maybe take the Falcons "guy". 

They'd probably want more than a 4 in case that happens, as I imagine the "guy" is Dallas Turner and the Bears are rather likely to grab him if he's there. Is it worth a 3? I'm not so sure. I think if we can't do this for a 4, GM Mr. Rogers is staying pat and looking for a trade back if Odunze really goes at 9.

Everyone assumes teams outside ten won't try to move in the top 10.  Maybe the Clown in indy wants to give up the draft for MHJ.  Maybe the Giants want to pick up a 1 for 2025. If Jones sh*ts the bed, they have capital to move up next year?  Could be for a defensive guy?   Sean Payton may want to draft his guy for QB?  Minnesota is almost a lock to trade up depending on a partner.  

My point, who is there at 10, like every year, will surprise us all.

Jets are looking pretty good for top defensive guys at 10, and a good trade back possibility.

By all accounts, this draft is deep at the Offensive line, and wide receiver.  Maybe teams will opt to wait and grab a different position group due to the depth?

• Upvote 3

For the guys that are all over Bowers at 10 ... I have a question for you...

Is he

Shannon Sharpe
Mike Ditka
Travis Kelce
Gronk
Winslow

Or

Gonzales

That is really the only question that needs answering.

He would need to be that to justify a selection at 10.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3

On 3/29/2024 at 3:13 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

I just realized that the only way I know this "Who?" guy is from the meme.  I assume he's from a movie but I don't know which one.

Guardian of the Galaxy. He was also in Armistad and Blood Diamond. His name is Djimon Hounsou.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Is he

Shannon Sharpe
Mike Ditka
Travis Kelce
Gronk
Winslow

Or

Gonzales

He would have to be that type of TE to justify taking him so high. All signs are pointing to him being the best TE in football for the foreseeable future tho.

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Is he

Shannon Sharpe
Mike Ditka
Travis Kelce
Gronk
Winslow

Or

Gonzales

Hes all of them. Bundled into one. 

gareth edwards godzilla GIF

• More Ugh 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

I'm guessing you spent as much time reading my post as you did watching Brock Bowers in college.

My guy, you just questioned whether drafting Lamar Jackson in the first round was a good use of resources and are basing your defense of picking Bowers high in the draft on the assumption that he's going to be a first-ballot HoFer.

However much time you spent watching Brock play, it was too much.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

My guy, you just questioned whether drafting Lamar Jackson in the first round was a good use of resources and are basing your defense of picking Bowers high in the draft on the assumption that he's going to be a first-ballot HoFer.
However much time you spent watching Brock play, it was too much.

Do you know what rhetorical questions are?

And yes, my argument is that Bowers is a generational TE. I’m glad you at least picked up that part.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2. Pick for sale? 

What they'd really like is a trade proposal from a quarterback-needy team, which would allow them to acquire a top-100 pick. A handful of teams behind them, most notably the Minnesota Vikings (11th), Denver Broncos (12th) and Las Vegas Raiders (13th), might be motivated to move up.

It probably will be contingent on the availability of a top quarterback -- Caleb Williams, Jayden Daniels, Drake Maye or J.J. McCarthy. Problem is, it's unlikely that one of them will slip to 10. The Jets need Bo Nix to get so hot that a team wants to jump the crowd for him. A team also may covet the Jets' pick as part of a leapfrog plan to a higher spot.

Ideally, they would like to get a second-round pick to replace the one they sent to the Green Bay Packers in the Rodgers trade, but they would have to drop more than three spots to acquire a pick that high. Chances are, it would have to be a third-rounder in return, but at least that would give them two picks in the top 100. Right now, they have only two -- Nos. 10 and 72.

The Jets' work in free agency -- specifically, the acquisition of tackles Tyron Smith and Morgan Moses -- "opens the door to a lot of possibilities at 10," Douglas said at the annual league meetings in Orlando, Florida, earlier this week.

3. Think big: The draft includes "an unbelievable O-line class," according to Douglas, who also said it's "unbelievable at quite a few positions."

Some NFL types who know Douglas say they would be surprised if he passes on a top-notch lineman, knowing Smith and Moses are both 33 and both will be free agents in 2025. Smith's injury history also is a factor.

The consequences could be dire for Douglas (and everybody) if another season is undermined by line injuries.

--Good point by Richard here. People want to trade down to get a 2nd round pick but can't really see a team wanting to come up that far to include one. 

I don't think they'll be an offer enticing enough to bypass a player that will be available at 10.

• Upvote 2

On 3/29/2024 at 2:13 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

I just realized that the only way I know this "Who?" guy is from the meme.  I assume he's from a movie but I don't know which one.

Guardians of the Galaxy,.

On 3/31/2024 at 8:36 AM, Dunnie said:

Is he

Shannon Sharpe
Mike Ditka
Travis Kelce
Gronk
Winslow

Or

Gonzales

He's Fred Baxter .

• Haha 4

20 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

Do you know what rhetorical questions are?

And yes, my argument is that Bowers is a generational TE. I’m glad you at least picked up that part.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I know what a rhetorical question is. As a rhetorical question, "maybe they shouldn't have drafted Lamar Jackson in the first, given your take on positional value and performance history's impact on draft strategy" suggests that you think "quarterback" is a position someone might argue shouldn't be selected in the first round, since - as with TE - the vast majority of the best QBs have historically been selected after the first round ... which, if you said that out loud, might sound as dumb to you as it did to everyone who read it.

Get better at this, I'm begging you.

20 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

I know what a rhetorical question is. As a rhetorical question, "maybe they shouldn't have drafted Lamar Jackson in the first, given your take on positional value and performance history's impact on draft strategy" suggests that you think "quarterback" is a position someone might argue shouldn't be selected in the first round, since - as with TE - the vast majority of the best QBs have historically been selected after the first round ... which, if you said that out loud, might sound as dumb to you as it did to everyone who read it.

Get better at this, I'm begging you.

This is where you're not following me. Lamar Jackson was a running QB when he was drafted. The suggestion wasn't that you shouldn't draft a QB; it was that you shouldn't draft a running QB. Hence why I cited RGIII and not Andrew Luck.

Reading comprehension is an important skillset.

4 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

This is where you're not following me. Lamar Jackson was a running QB when he was drafted. The suggestion wasn't that you shouldn't draft a QB; it was that you shouldn't draft a running QB. Hence why I cited RGIII and not Andrew Luck.

Reading comprehension is an important skillset.

😄

On 3/31/2024 at 9:56 AM, Jack Straw said:

And yes, my argument is that Bowers is a generational TE.

For the record, in your estimation, is he better than Kelce, Gronk, and Tony Gonzalez? 😳

Just trying to clarify your definition of “generational” 😄

For the record, in your estimation, is he better than Kelce, Gronk, and Tony Gonzalez?
Just trying to clarify your definition of “generational”
If he is on that list I mentioned before .. sign me up.