NFL Network’s Colleen Wolfe apologizes to Jets, wasn’t at meeting, and second hand info of argument may have been inaccurate

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

She already apologized for doing her job correctly

you want her fired too? 

Heartless 

This is nothing more than the league calling a team on Tuesday to tell them that they blew a call on Sunday that cost you a game. It means squat.She should just do what was was hired to do… look pretty and read off the teleprompter.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

She should just do what was was hired to do… look pretty and read off the teleprompter.

Comments like this make me pretty sure that Colleen did nothing wrong and the Jets demanded this fake apology 

As if lying about the dysfunction (which we all know exists) makes it go away 

Baddie GIF by Giphy QA

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

Her non-apology is that her supposed insiders lied to her so it's not her fault and she doesn't break news anyway, so she can't be blamed for repeating a rumor that she probably made up, because she's not an insider herself. If NFL Network isn't disciplining her for the concocted story, it should for this lousy non-apology.

Lol I would say there is a 99% chance the report is true

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pac said:

I haven't read 95% of the posts but the fact that this dumb saga has hundreds of posts and multiple threads discussing it is far and away the stupidest thing of the offseason. 

Dumber than Aaron Rodgers is gonna run for VP? It’s close. Lots of dumb sh*t lately 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Comments like this make me pretty sure that Colleen did nothing wrong and the Jets demanded this fake apology 

Baddie GIF by Giphy QA

It’s not her job, that’s the point. She should have passed this on to one of the network” insiders “ to check on its validity. If they found it to be true, she could cue them up on the show and let them do their job. Instead, she babbled on about nonsense, made her look like a fool and caused major embarrassment for her employer with one of, as you correctly stated, it’s 32 owners.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Dumber than Aaron Rodgers is gonna run for VP? It’s close. Lots of dumb sh*t lately 

That was at least funny for a couple days.  This is just stupid. 

As always, I blame Tom Shame. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, slats said:

Not to worry, I’m sure @T0mShane will have another unverified National Enquirer headline ready to go ASAP. 

"Woody Johnson's Secret Plan to Reincarnate Vince Lombardi to Coach the Jets (Revealed by Elvis Presley in Confidential Meeting aboard UFO)"

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Baddie GIF by Giphy QA

Bro

she passed on second hand information without vetting it and it was a negative story about one of the 32 people that own her network.

how the **** is that doing her job?

multiple first hand sources disputed her claim including a giants fan that regularly trashes the Jets. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Larz said:

Bro

she passed on second hand information without vetting it 

39 minutes ago, KRL said:

Why you guys still believe the media is beyond me.  Carry on

47 minutes ago, section314 said:

It’s not her job, that’s the point. She should have passed this on to one of the network” insiders “ to check on its validity 

Let's walk this dog 

Woody Johnson and Robert Saleh talk to each other at a meeting. 

The rumors are that Saleh will be fired mid-season. Saleh is in the last year of his deal, making him a lame duck and giving his family zero security in where they will live through 24 season and 25 offseason. 

There has been no action on Saleh's contract or JD's contract. 

There was an attempt by the Jets to bring in a good coach, and that coach turned them down flat. Because there's no stability in the regime he'd be joining

That all adds up to an awkward exchange. 

On top of all that, there's this Zach thing, which is a never-ending anal fissure, and, if rumors are to be believed, Saleh was against from the beginning 

oh yeah and since the last time these guys spoke f2f, there's a war in the Middle East that broke out putting Saleh and Woody on opposite sides. Saleh literally wore a Lebanese flag on his jacket during the last month of the season. Woody probably had opinions about that. 

So given all that - Let me get this straight.

Do you guys think Saleh and Woody are friends? Or did they have a friendly, not awkward, chat? 

If this Story (which wasn't a story. It was a throwaway line in a podcast) by Wolfe (who isn't even an insider; she's an Excel spreadsheet nerd) is completely false, what's the alternative? 

do you guys really live in a world where Saleh and Woody like each other? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

This is what’s also been lost in all of this—Wolfe’s original mention of this non-story was treated as such, by both her and Hanzus in real time. It was intended as a jokey piece of gossip as a means to rib Hanzus, but then the aggregators clipped it, put the dire headline on it, and now here we are! The Jets should have laughed it off.

C'mon Tom.  You know how this works.  If the Jets ignored it and laughed it off it would inevitably resurface at some point and someone would note, "You know, the Jets never denied that story last Spring about the Head Coach arguing with the Owner.  Now here we are in Week 6 with a 3-3 team and you have to wonder if the Owner has patience for a petulant Head Coach?"

That's what happens when you let lies sit, let them fester.  We see it all the time these days, in sports, in entertainment, in politics.  The media doesn't even have to outright lie, they just promote certain stories and then ignore or choose not to report other ones.  There's so much going on in the world today that the mainstream media just chooses not to report.  Or, they report it one way, then wait until 6 months later or after the football season or after an election to issue a small retraction on the back page of the paper (the argument never happened, there actually was a laptop, etc.)  So when someone states something inaccurate or actually incorrect (like Colleen has now reluctantly admitted to) you have to call it out, man.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

"Woody Johnson's Secret Plan to Reincarnate Vince Lombardi to Coach the Jets (Revealed by Elvis Presley in Confidential Meeting aboard UFO)"

Finally somebody is making Sense of it all. Thank you Jetstream, thank you. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Let's walk this dog 

The rumors are that Saleh will be fired mid-season. Saleh is in the last year of his deal, making him a lame duck and giving his family zero security in where they will live through 24 season and 25 offseason. 

There was an attempt by the Jets to bring in a good coach, and that coach turned them down flat. Because there's no stability in the regime he'd be joining

On top of all that, there's this Zach thing, which is a never-ending anal fissure, and, if rumors are to be believed, Saleh was against from the beginning 

oh yeah and since the last time these guys spoke f2f, there's a war in the Middle East that broke out putting Saleh and Woody on opposite sides. Saleh literally wore a Lebanese flag on his jacket during the last month of the season. Woody probably had opinions about that. 

Do you guys think Saleh and Woody are friends? Or did they have a friendly, not awkward, chat? 

If this Story (which wasn't a story. It was a throwaway line in a podcast) by Wolfe (who isn't even an insider; she's an Excel spreadsheet nerd) is completely false, what's the alternative? 

I could care less whether Woody and Saleh like one another. It’s not pertinent to this situation. What the real story here is a reality TV host speaking out of her depth about something she had no true knowledge of or if it really ever happened. She could have said she saw Charlie Brown and the Great Pumpkin finally meeting in the pumpkin patch and it would have been the same thing. Mindless chatter by a dope.

12 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Let's walk this dog 

Bro. This isn’t a referendum on the Jets it’s a fake news story that blew up in her face. Her bosses bosses boss had to step in and deal with this I’m sure. She 1,000,000,000,000 % regrets not vetting the story before going on air with it live. 

Lazy and unprofessional 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

I could care less whether Woody and Saleh like one another. It’s not pertinent to this situation. What the real story here is a reality TV host speaking out of her depth about something she had no true knowledge of or if it really ever happened. She could have said she saw Charlie Brown and the Great Pumpkin finally meeting in the pumpkin patch and it would have been the same thing. Mindless chatter by a dope.

Jets fans say Colleen is a liar, they say she should be fired 

I am asking you a direct question: If not Colleen's story, what do you think happened? 

do you think these men  talked at all

If they did it's not hard to imagine it being awkward

Again, the rumors came out 2 weeks ago Woody was going to fire Saleh mid season. You don't think Saleh had anything to say about that? 

Just now, Larz said:

Bro. This isn’t a referendum on the Jets it’s a fake news story that blew up in her face. Her bosses bosses boss had to step in and deal with this I’m sure. She 1,000,000,000,000 % regrets not vetting the story before going on air with it live. 

Lazy and unprofessional 

it wasn't a news story it was a throw away line in a podcast 

let's not pretend like NFL Network broke this big article on NFL.com that said Blah Blah Blah 

she was needling a Jets fan on panel, who is a big homer 

like all of you guys 

she's forced to apologize because Woody literally owns the news source not because she was wrong 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

14 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

So when someone states something inaccurate or actually incorrect (like Colleen has now reluctantly admitted to) you have to call it out, man.

if you read Colleen's statement carefully she never says it was incorrect. She never retracted the report

She says she wasn't there. And that others (Jets folk) described it another way 

nowhere in this statement is a retraction or even an admission of inaccuracy 

she apologies for the distraction because she works for NFL N and their job is not to distract. And because her bosses told her to.

But read it again (if you even read it at all) she never retracts the report 

Regarding my comments surrounding the Jets on the @AroundTheNFL podcast: no, I was not at the Annual Meeting and yes, I was told of the exchange between head coach Robert Saleh & Woody Johnson by someone in attendance,” she said. “Others on-site Sunday night have since reached out and described the interaction differently. My intent wasn’t to break news, I leave that to the insiders. My sincerest apologies to the Jets organization for the unnecessary distraction during such a crucial part of their offseason

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Pac said:

People conflating a reporter saying she heard a rumor with actual reports that people stand behind is so 2024.

I'm sure that she and hundreds of other reporters hear thousands of rumors.  They don't repeat all of them on-air.  That's the difference.  She stood behind the rumor and then had to come out and say she wasn't there and that others (plural) said it didn't really happen.

What is so 2024, is people stating whatever they want to large audiences as quasi-factual and then letting it swim around for a while unchecked.  She would have NEVER issued such a public apology had she never been called out on it.  Mr. Shane suggested the Jets should have just ignored it.  If they did then she would have never gone back to actually do her homework and hear many other people tell her, "Nah, didn't happen like that."  We would have all just assumed it happened.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Let's walk this dog 

Woody has never fired a HC mid season. The likelihood of that trend changing is ridiculous.  I must have missed the rumor... can you tell me the source?  Also, if it were to happen don't be worried about Saleh's welfare.  He still gets paid for the balance of his contract whether he's in the building or not.  LOL.  HCs get fired all the time.  Moving from place to place is to be expected.  This part of your argument is a colossal fail. 

Thank God.  They suck for the most part.  If this upsets Saleh, good!  Do your fking job better.  I hope there is no movement on either contract until we see 2024 results.  If that pisses Saleh off, again, Good!

This is probably correct, but again, can I have the source and proof that "no stability" was literaly given as a coach recruit's rejection of an offer?  Proof please.  And hopefully not from a source like NFL Network.

Everything in this post seems to based on unsupported rumors...  do you realize that? 

Woody and the vast majority of players and probably coaches are on opposite sides.  When Saleh is fired it's going to be because his results have been abysmal, not because of his religion, political allegiance, heritage et al.  Yeah yeah conspiracy theories are so much fun.  Knock yourself out. 

"Like each other"?  Now where did that come from? There are no claims on either side that they like or don't like each other.  Was there a heated argument in public?  That is the question.  Not, "do they like each other"?  Too much meds?   In addition, you again surmise everything you wrote, even these irrelevant parts. The reporter made public comments that she admitted was uncorroborated and false. She apologized. Dude, the heated argument event never happened..., the reporter couldn't get her own source to corroborate afterward.  Frankly, I wouldn't doubt that she fabricated it entirely.  But I admire your attempt to keep pumping life support into this one.  And the idea that she apologized because Woody has financial interests there is just silly. SHe apologized because she was full of it in her statements.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, bitonti said:

it wasn't a news story it was a throw away line in a podcast 

let's not pretend like NFL Network broke this big article on NFL.com that said Blah Blah Blah 

she was needling a Jets fan on panel, who is a big homer 

like all of you guys 

she's forced to apologize because Woody literally owns the news source not because she was wrong 

I Have Spoken GIF by IMDb

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

if you read Colleen's statement carefully she never says it was incorrect. She never retracted the report

She says she wasn't there. And that others (Jets folk) described it another way 

nowhere in this statement is a retraction or even an admission of inaccuracy 

she apologies for the distraction because she works for NFL N and their job is not to distract. And because her bosses told her to.

But read it again (if you even read it at all) she never retracts the report 

Regarding my comments surrounding the Jets on the @AroundTheNFL podcast: no, I was not at the Annual Meeting and yes, I was told of the exchange between head coach Robert Saleh & Woody Johnson by someone in attendance,” she said. “Others on-site Sunday night have since reached out and described the interaction differently. My intent wasn’t to break news, I leave that to the insiders. My sincerest apologies to the Jets organization for the unnecessary distraction during such a crucial part of their offseason

If I even read it at all?  I read it.  I'm the one that posted it, sir.

She sincerely apologized only upon being checked on the facts. 

She said one person had told her something and, since then, multiple people have come to her and said it didn't happen that way.

If one person says they saw a UFO and then three others say it was an airplane, I guess the first person can apologize for the "unnecessary distraction" without ever saying she was "incorrect."

11 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm sure that she and hundreds of other reporters hear thousands of rumors.  They don't repeat all of them on-air.  That's the difference.  She stood behind the rumor and then had to come out and say she wasn't there and that others (plural) said it didn't really happen.

What is so 2024, is people stating whatever they want to large audiences as quasi-factual and then letting it swim around for a while unchecked.  She would have NEVER issued such a public apology had she never been called out on it.  Mr. Shane suggested the Jets should have just ignored it.  If they did then she would have never gone back to actually do her homework and hear many other people tell her, "Nah, didn't happen like that."  We would have all just assumed it happened.

You mistake what I'm getting at.  I listened to her statement on whatever podcast that was and dismissed it.  Sounded like nonsensical gossip. 

I'm referring to people equating this silliness with actual news. 

Usually when it is nonsense like this it gets discovered pretty quickly..  Just like this did.  That doesn't stop a disenfranchised group of people declaring all media lies. But that's an argument for another day. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Woody has never fired a HC mid season. The likelihood of that trend changing is ridiculous.  I must have missed the rumor... can you tell me the source? 

It was Schatz, and just before the combine (about a month ago) 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/39539764/2024-nfl-offseason-afc-nfc-bold-moves-free-agency-draft

Also, if it were to happen don't be worried about Saleh's welfare.  He still gets paid for the balance of his contract whether he's in the building or not.  LOL.  HCs get fired all the time.  Moving from place to place is to be expected.  This part of your argument is a colossal fail.

It's alot to move 5 school-aged kids even with all the money in the world. Generally, workers in the NFL (players and coaches) are not happy when they don't know when they are going to live next year 

Thank God.  They suck for the most part.  If this upsets Saleh, good!  Do your fking job better.  I hope there is no movement on either

contract until we see 2024 results.  If that pisses Saleh off, again, Good!

I agree with this. I don't think Saleh or JD should be extended, But i can see how that would make an interaction between Saleh and Woody awkward. 

This is probably correct, but again, can I have the source and proof that "no stability" was literaly given as a coach recruit's rejection of an offer?  Proof please.  And hopefully not from a source like NFL Network.

Saleh said so himself on Monday at the owners meeting. The reasoning "no stability" was not part of his public comments but it's what happened. 

https://thejetpress.com/posts/ny-jets-tried-hire-veteran-coach-struck-out-01hsv0djvbp0

Everything in this post seems to based on unsupported rumors...  do you realize that? 

If we think about it, it's a rumor either way. Either they argued in public at the owners meeting on Sunday or they didn't. Either way it's unconfirmed. Wolfe never retracted she just said sorry it was a distraction. 

Woody and the vast majority of players and probably coaches are on opposite sides.  When Saleh is fired it's going to be because his results have been abysmal, not because of his religion, political allegiance, heritage et al.  Yeah yeah conspiracy theories are so much fun.  Knock yourself out. 

I realize this Im just saying there's literally thousands of reasons these guys could have an awkward exchange. And very few reasons for them to be friendly. 

"Like each other"?  Now where did that come from. There are no claims on either side that they like or don't like each other.  Was their a heated argument in public?  That is the question.  Not, do they like each other.  Too much meds?   In addition you again surmise everything you wrote, even the irrelevant parts. The reporter put out a story that she admitted was uncorroborated and false. She apologized. Dude, the heated argument event never happened..., the reporter couldn't get her own source to corroborate afterward.  Frankly, I wouldn't doubt that she fabricated it entirely.  But I admire your attempt to keep pumping life support into this one.

She did not retract the story. I'll say that again. She did not say she was wrong, or that it didn't happen. 

It wasn't even a story it was a throwaway line at the end of the podcast

Jets fans want to attack the source, meanwhile fans of the other 31 teams are like "yeah, that sounds about right." 

Saleh occupies the hottest seat in football. Whether they had a discussion or not there's friction there

again let me emphasize how rare it is for an NFL coach to be allowed to coach as a lame duck. Probably for situations like this. They either fire them a year early (now) or extend. I literally cannot think of a situation where a lame duck GM was allowed to draft (except Mac) and where a lame duck HC was allowed to coach

any well run team would have sh*t or gotten off the pot right now. Instead the Jets are going into year 6 of JD, year 5 of Saleh and year 4 of Zach with all of them as failures, and without any sign of resolution. 

when you don't extend a lame duck they can do unpredictable things like confront their boss in front of the other owners at the team meetings

Saleh's probably thinking if i get fired now there's still time to join the SFO staff again 

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

If I even read it at all?  I read it.  I'm the one that posted it, sir.

She sincerely apologized only upon being checked on the facts. 

She said one person had told her something and, since then, multiple people have come to her and said it didn't happen that way.

she apologized for being a distraction but she did not say the other fact checkers were right and she was wrong. She didn't say the story didn't happen. She said she has her source and others said differently

those others include Woody who obviously has his own agenda 

that's an apology yes but not a retraction 

let's just face facts Saleh probably made Woody look small and dumb (which he is) and Woody is ripsh*t about it 

Saleh, being a lame duck, has no reason to play nice 

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

she apologized for being a distraction but she did not say the other fact checkers were right and she was wrong. She didn't say the story didn't happen. She said she has her source and others said differently

those others include Woody who obviously has his own agenda 

that's an apology yes but not a retraction 

let's just face facts Saleh probably made Woody look small and dumb (which he is) and Woody is ripsh*t about it 

Saleh, being a lame duck, has no reason to play nice 

If I were Saleh, I'd be grateful for the 25M or whatever it is Woody gifted me and probably keep my mouth shut in front of the owner.

He's been a "yes man" at the podium for 3 years.

Why start singing a different tune now?

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

C'mon Tom.  You know how this works.  If the Jets ignored it and laughed it off it would inevitably resurface at some point and someone would note, "You know, the Jets never denied that story last Spring about the Head Coach arguing with the Owner.  Now here we are in Week 6 with a 3-3 team and you have to wonder if the Owner has patience for a petulant Head Coach?"

Good post, but here’s the thing: the dope waiting in the weeds to point it out in six months would be me, and the Jets shouldn’t worry about me because I’m going to slime them anyway! 

• Haha 1