Talk of Bowers at 10 Picking up Steam; Looking at Day 3 QB’s

11 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

dis where I'm at.  Should the trade up happen?  100% YES!  Will the trade up happen? .001% ur uh fudge take the FB what can go wrong

Ahh you never know man. I have no idea what the percentage chance could be but if Arizona takes MJH and LAC is thinking trade down I think there is at least a shot we could trade up and take Nabers.

Or lets say LAC takes ALT, Nabers drops to 6, and the Giants trade down to 10 (1 spot ahead of Minnesota) and can still draft JJ McCarthy.

5 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Ahh you never know man. I have no idea what the percentage chance could be but if Arizona takes MJH and LAC is thinking trade down I think there is at least a shot we could trade up and take Nabers.

Or lets say LAC takes ALT, Nabers drops to 6, and the Giants trade down to 10 (1 spot ahead of Minnesota) and can still draft JJ McCarthy.

true that!  Few years back we all thought for sure Cleveland would take Darnold and no way Giants would take a RB.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I think TC signings are the tier of offensive tackles left @ this point. 

I get they’d be backups, but that’s kinda my whole point - I think whomever we have @ backup tackle (especially with guard versatility), is very likely to see significant playing time this season given Tyron, Moses and AVT. 

Someone like Fautanu might start 8-10 games filling in for each of those 3 because of his versatility - and be the future OT starter on a rookie deal. 

Again, they will not asked to do much besides a spot start.

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

I’d like to think Douglass has realized he can’t pin his job of gm of the nyj on 2 old tackles and mitchell and warren.  Mitchell shouldn’t be in the nfl he’s way too weak.  

Smith will be the best LT for the Jets since Jumbo Elliott, to say he’s old is a disservice to him. 

8 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Smith will be the best LT for the Jets since Jumbo Elliott, to say he’s old is a disservice to him. 

Last 4 seasons he’s played 2, 11, 4 and 13 games.  This averages out to half a season each full season. 

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Last 4 seasons he’s played 2, 11, 4 and 13 games.  This averages out to half a season each full season. 

How is drafting a guard or a RT helping with this issue? Because right Now the only LT the Jets seems to like is Joe Alt and he’s probably not going to be there…

• WTF? 1

1 minute ago, Guilhermezmc said:

How is drafting a guard or a RT helping with this issue? Because right Now the only LT the Jets seems to like is Joe Alt and he’s probably not going to be there…

Draft fuaga, he’s the best fit for the team and then go and get a good wr in late round 2.  You’re set on offense.  

Just now, Gastineau Lives said:

What happens to Morgan Moses?

He’s the insurance most likely.  Or, they use him and fuaga together.  The jets have the oldest tackle tandem and the oldest qb in the entire league, and statistics say these guys are more likely to miss games than a 23 yr old. 

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

He’s the insurance most likely.  Or, they use him and fuaga together.  The jets have the oldest tackle tandem and the oldest qb in the entire league, and statistics say these guys are more likely to miss games than a 23 yr old. 

I guess but he has only missed four games in his career. Do you think the pec is going to be a problem? 

19 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

So he played 13 games last year, nice. And The Cowboys made the playoffs because of that. Double nice.

4 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I guess but he has only missed four games in his career. Do you think the pec is going to be a problem? 

If douglas drafts a guy solely based on what he’s going to do in 2024 then he shouldn’t be the gm.  It’s a huge problem.  Then trade your entire draft for the 5 pick

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

I disagree.  If he thinks he’s gonna get fired he should take the tackle and then trade into round 2 for a good wr and have the best of both worlds.  That’s the best approach. 

If you’re drafting a tackle with the idea that he’s going to be the emergency fill-in for when Smith or Moses get hurt, you’re betting that the guy is going to be ready to pass block at the pro level out of the box. That’s dicey, especially when you’re considering the guys you’d be drafting at ten are right tackle types. It took Sewell eight games to stop being a liability. Andrew Thomas was horrible as a rookie. Evan Neal has gotten Daniel Jones murdered for two seasons. Broderick Jones, Ickey Ekwonu, Trevor Penning, etc etc. If the plan is to win the maximum amount of games in 2024, and that plan relies on keeping Rodgers upright, it’s best not to gamble on a rookie tackle imo. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

17 hours ago, Claymation said:

Conklin had a career year last year.

FYI, MC had more yards rushing his rookie than Saquan, with less attempts. 

Maybe, just maybe, the Jets realized they could upgrade the position from an average player to a dynamic one.

ty conklin is a quality nfl starting TE.  last year, he ranked 11th in receptions and 13th in yardage for the position.  nothing spectacular, but above average for a starting TE.  and while technically he had his highest yardage last year, he's put up pretty consistent production for the last 3 years - 61, 58, and 61 reception, 593, 552, 621 yards for 2021, 2022, and 2023.  in 2022, he was 8th among TEs in receptions and 12th in yards.  in 2021 he was 9th in receptions, 14th in yards.  and the last 2 years with horrible QB play.

michael carter is a scrub RB.  not sure what you are talking about him having more yards than barkley his rookie year.  barkley had 1,307 yards and 11 TDs his rookie year to go along with 720 yards and 4 TDs receiving.  or are you saying carter had more rushing years than barkley did in 2021, which was the year barkley returned from his ACL injury and also suffered a bad ankle sprain?  ok, so he had more rushing yards than barkley did in barkley's by far worst season coming off of major knee surgery  where he also got hurt.

and also keep in mind, the jets did not take hall with the 10th pick, which is what we are discussing with bowers.

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If you’re drafting a tackle with the idea that he’s going to be the emergency fill-in for when Smith or Moses get hurt, you’re betting that the guy is going to be ready to pass block at the pro level out of the box. That’s dicey, especially when you’re considering the guys you’d be drafting at ten are right tackle types. It took Sewell eight games to stop being a liability. Andrew Thomas was horrible as a rookie. Evan Neal has gotten Daniel Jones murdered for two seasons. Broderick Jones, Ickey Ekwonu, Trevor Penning, etc etc. If the plan is to win the maximum amount of games in 2024, and that plan relies on keeping Rodgers upright, it’s best not to gamble on a rookie tackle imo. 

The jets have nobody else at tackle.  Would you rather warren be the LT for a month or a highly talented rookie?  

If the thrust of all these picks is who helps them in 2024, then this entire draft process is flawed.  

19 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

ty conklin is a quality nfl starting TE.  last year, he ranked 11th in receptions and 13th in yardage for the position.  nothing spectacular, but above average for a starting TE.  and while technically he had his highest yardage last year, he's put up pretty consistent production for the last 3 years - 61, 58, and 61 reception, 593, 552, 621 yards for 2021, 2022, and 2023.  in 2022, he was 8th among TEs in receptions and 12th in yards.  in 2021 he was 9th in receptions, 14th in yards.  and the last 2 years with horrible QB play.

michael carter is a scrub RB.  not sure what you are talking about him having more yards than barkley his rookie year.  barkley had 1,307 yards and 11 TDs his rookie year to go along with 720 yards and 4 TDs receiving.  or are you saying carter had more rushing years than barkley did in 2021, which was the year barkley returned from his ACL injury and also suffered a bad ankle sprain?  ok, so he had more rushing yards than barkley did in barkley's by far worst season coming off of major knee surgery  where he also got hurt.

and also keep in mind, the jets did not take hall with the 10th pick, which is what we are discussing with bowers.

That year he had more yards than Barkley not Barkleys rookie year.

Conklin had how many TDs last year? How many does he have for his career. He is an average TE. 

The Jets upgraded the WR when the selected GW, why because mediocrity doesn't win games let alone championships.

The love affair Jets fans have with average players in mind numbing.

On 4/17/2024 at 10:55 AM, varjet said:

Here is another way to look at Bowers:

• If he is that good and Bowers is sitting there at 10 for the Jets to pick him, JD’s phone should be ringing with teams who want to trade up for him.  I am not seeing that happening. 
  • JD’s phone was not ringing last year for teams wanted to trade for WmD4.   The premium players were gone when the Jets picked last here, and they will likely be gone when the Jets pick at 10.

And how does that change the fact that depending how the 9 picks ahead of them go, he isn’t the best player left?  
What another team thinks about giving up additional draft capital to draft him has nothing to do with it 

15 minutes ago, Claymation said:

That year he had more yards than Barkley not Barkleys rookie year.

Conklin had how many TDs last year? How many does he have for his career. He is an average TE. 

The Jets upgraded the WR when the selected GW, why because mediocrity doesn't win games let alone championships.

The love affair Jets fans have with average players in mind numbing.

and last year, i had as many passing yards and TDs as aaron rodgers.

i mean that's an idiotic inference - somehow saying because carter did better than barkley in barkley's worst year where he was slow to recover from blowing out his acl and also hurt his ankle, that carter wasn't someone worth looking to replace with breece.

as i said, conklin is a slightly better than average starting TE.  that stats show it.  TDs are a little more dependent on team performance, getting you near the end zone, and being able to execute.  do i think bowers is a better receiving weapon than conklin?  yeah, probably.  is that worth the 10th pick in the draft?  i don't think so, nor do i think the TE room as a whole needs upgrading via the 10th pick.

WR, o-line and/or QB of the future (depending how the draft fell) would make more sense for the short- and long-term interests of the team.  if the top 3 WRs are gone, i'd also explore a trade down to get more draft assets.

5 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

and last year, i had as many passing yards and TDs as aaron rodgers.

i mean that's an idiotic inference - somehow saying because carter did better than barkley in barkley's worst year where he was slow to recover from blowing out his acl and also hurt his ankle, that carter wasn't someone worth looking to replace with breece.

as i said, conklin is a slightly better than average starting TE.  that stats show it.  TDs are a little more dependent on team performance, getting you near the end zone, and being able to execute.  do i think bowers is a better receiving weapon than conklin?  yeah, probably.  is that worth the 10th pick in the draft?  i don't think so, nor do i think the TE room as a whole needs upgrading via the 10th pick.

WR, o-line and/or QB of the future (depending how the draft fell) would make more sense for the short- and long-term interests of the team.  if the top 3 WRs are gone, i'd also explore a trade down to get more draft assets.

Rodgers played 75 seconds, Conklin played an entire season. If you don't like Bowers that's fine. But saying the reason you don't want to take Bowers is because of Conklin is just wrong on so many levels.

2 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Rodgers played 75 seconds, Conklin played an entire season. If you don't like Bowers that's fine. But saying the reason you don't want to take Bowers is because of Conklin is just wrong on so many levels.

i don't want to use the 10th pick of the draft to take bowers to replace an above-average starting TE.  conklin has been a borderline top 12ish TE in the league each of the last 3 years based on receptions and yardage.  TD production is more team dependent - 81 players had more receiving TDs than garrett wilson did last year, so clearly he stinks and needs to be replaced...

Just now, jetblue95 said:

i don't want to use the 10th pick of the draft to take bowers to replace an above-average starting TE.  conklin has been a borderline top 12ish TE in the league each of the last 3 years based on receptions and yardage.  TD production is more team dependent - 81 players had more receiving TDs than garrett wilson did last year, so clearly he stinks and needs to be replaced...

GW has the same amount of TDs for his career as Conklin does.

I am having the same conversation in 2 different threads. Its Deja Vu all over again.

2 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Conklin has 7 TDs in his illustrious career. Wilson has that in 2 years.

Wilson has over 2100 yards in 2 years, Conklin has under 2100 yards for his 6 year career. 

Conklin had Cousins throwing the ball to him when he was in Minnesota.

again, the question is is the #10 pick worth using to upgrade an above-average starting TE?  my answer is no.  pointing to TD production is misleading.

conklin has been a starting TE the last 3 years.  2 with the jets with awful QBs.  one in minny, where he actually was 4th in TD receptions on the team behind jefferson (10), theilin (10) and osborn (7).  when you have a strong WR room, there aren't a ton of TDs available for TEs.

nevertheless, over the last 3 years, conklin has solidly been a top 12ish TE in receptions and yards.  which to me does not scream a need to replace with a top 10 pick

8 hours ago, jetblue95 said:

again, the question is is the #10 pick worth using to upgrade an above-average starting TE?  my answer is no.  pointing to TD production is misleading.

conklin has been a starting TE the last 3 years.  2 with the jets with awful QBs.  one in minny, where he actually was 4th in TD receptions on the team behind jefferson (10), theilin (10) and osborn (7).  when you have a strong WR room, there aren't a ton of TDs available for TEs.

nevertheless, over the last 3 years, conklin has solidly been a top 12ish TE in receptions and yards.  which to me does not scream a need to replace with a top 10 pick

I'm not the biggest fan of taking Bowers at 10 but drafting him doesn't equal replacing Conklin.

They would play a lot of 12 personnel and both TEs could be used in a variety of ways.

• Upvote 2

On 4/15/2024 at 12:47 AM, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Just saying…

The Jets taking 2 OL in the 1st round turned out to be one of the best drafts in team history:  Brick and Mangold

2 of the worst drafts in history were when they reached for TEs in rd 1:

Johnny Mitchell 🤣

Kyle Brady 🤣

He is no Mitchell or Brady!! Go and ask Nick Saban about Bowers. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/17/2024 at 11:16 PM, T0mShane said:

I have a broken clock in my room. Says 2:11 am!

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

The jets have nobody else at tackle.  Would you rather warren be the LT for a month or a highly talented rookie?  

If the thrust of all these picks is who helps them in 2024, then this entire draft process is flawed.  

Let’s say we draft Fuaga. I absolutely could see Warren the next man up if Smith got injured.

1. Warren has been here and knows the system.

2. Warren is a LT

3. Fuaga has never played LT

4. Fuaga has penalty concerns

It is absolutely not a given that if we drafted Fuaga that he’s next man up behind Smith.

• Upvote 2

The more I watch Odunze the more I like him.

He’s sort of an anti-Bowers.

Bro doesn’t look as explosive as Nabers or even Harrison in terms of pure speed but he’s such a smooth operator, route technician, great hands catcher.

He makes everything look easy and effortless.

For him to be able to do those things at 6’3” is more impressive to me than Bowers being able to put his head down and run in a straight line past people.