NEW YORK JETS: A

1 (11): T Olumuyiwa Fashanu, Penn State

3 (65): WR Malachi Corley, Western Kentucky

4 (134): RB Braelon Allen, Wisconsin

5 (171): QB Jordan Travis, Florida State

5 (173): RB Isaiah Davis, South Dakota State

5 (176): CB Qwan'tez Stiggers, CFL

7 (257): S Jaylen Key, Alabama

Fashanu — The Jets offensive line has been a weak point for the last few years. Even though they brought in veteran tackles Tyron Smith and Morgan Moses to strengthen it, bringing in talented depth and getting a succession plan in place makes a lot of sense. Fashanu ranked in the 93rd percentile among qualifying college tackles in pass-blocking grade on true pass sets over the last two seasons.

Corley — The Jets trade up to grab one of the more unique wide receivers in this draft class. As a former running back, he is phenomenal with the ball in his hands. Last season, his 683 yards after the catch was good for second among all receivers in this draft class. He forced 63 missed tackles on 253 receptions over the past three seasons, so he adds another layer to Aaron Rodgers’ passing attack.

Allen — Allen burst onto the college football scene in 2021 and has been one of the best running backs in college football in each of the last three seasons. Only 20 years old, Allen is built like a truck. A valuable asset that he possesses is his ability to finish games — his 409 yards after contact in the second half of games ranked 13th in the FBS in 2023. He is more than capable of making plays in the screen game, but do not expect him to be utilized much outside of the backfield in regards to targets from the slot or out wide.

Travis — After trading away former No. 2 overall pick Zach Wilson, the Jets opt for Travis to fill the void. The Florida State standout totaled 46 big-time throws over the past two seasons, second among ACC quarterbacks, earning an impressive 91.8 PFF grade in the span.

Davis — The FCS standout played well above his level of competition in his time at South Dakota State. Davis stood atop the draft class in a number of PFF facet grades. Since 2022, his 151 missed tackles forced helped contribute to his phenomenal 96.8 PFF rushing grade this past season, the highest among all running backs.

Stiggers — The hugely talented CFL standout makes his way to the top level after a fantastic 2023 north of the border. Stiggers totaled an 85.0 coverage grade in the CFL this past season, where he forced an incompletion on 12.5% of his coverage snaps while also hauling in five interceptions. He also allowed just 0.95 yards per coverage snap.

Key — Jaylen Key recorded a 69.1 PFF grade in 2023, 161st among FBS cornerbacks. He allowed only 13 catches and 145 receiving yards in 2023. Key was not the sought-after prospect his teammates Terrion Arnold and Kool-Aid McKinstry were, but he’s a serviceable corner.

-PFF

• Upvote 1

It was on pace for an A, but the fourth round ruined it for me.  
They could’ve had a good safety, J Wright the burner the Dolphins took, and Pratt.  

B, but still two years before a real grade can be handed out. 

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

Dont understand going from 3 picks in the 4th round to 1 , trading back at that point is just non- GM like .

I think we as fans buy into rankings as gospel and also how the team views its needs.  So we see a safety valued as a mid 3rd round pick and the jets are picking in the 4th and we say take him.  But even dj said the first 50 guys were pretty much the same on most boards and after that it’s all over the place.  So i think this factored into what they did.  

From an offensive standpoint it’s clear they wanted more physical playmakers but for the LT they valued pure pass protection over a guy like fuaga.  

Also can’t underestimate getting a 3rd next year, esp. after we sat there all round 2 on our hands.  

• Upvote 3

Would have been a B+ but I'll go A- just because I love Travis and he was the project QB I wanted most.  

I wanted Bowers round 1 but I can't complain with the strategy of addressing your immediate LT depth and locking that spot up long-term.  Having a nucleus of Fashanu, AVT, and Tippmann should ensure that, whoever your future QB ends up being, he'll be given every opportunity to succeed.  Bowers was a rare unique talent that I didn't want to pass on, but I can't hate the strategy here.  The trade down was a pretty brilliant move, basically free draft picks.

Corley was great value at the top of the 3rd, and he's a guy I can see having an immediate impact out of the gate.  Obviously it all depends on how AR takes to him, but his skillset is a pretty rare one and it seems like they have big expectations for what he can be in this offense.  There's a glaring hole at WR3 that, on paper, he fills pretty perfectly.  

Dealing a late 4th for a 3rd next year was a shrewd move.  I'm all for these types of trades.  Considering next year could be the year we decide to invest an early pick into a QB, it's wise to have a little more ammo.  3rd rounders are pretty valuable pieces.

Allen was my top RB choice, so there's not much else for me to say on that one.  Perfect pick.

Same with Travis.  He was my top "draft a QB and let him learn for 2 years" option so I was thrilled when they selected him.  The fact that they traded 2 picks just to come up and get him also shows that he's not just some dart throw for them.  They believe in this kid.  It's going to be fun watching his development these next two years.

Davis was the only headscratcher to me, but again in the 5th I suppose if you love a kid and he's there, you take him.  If the strategy is draft two RBs which gives you a better shot of finding your high-end RB2, I guess I understand it.  I would have had enough faith in Allen alone being that guy, but we'll see how it plays out.  Considering I wanted a DT and we ended up with Taylor in the UDFA pool, it makes this pick a little easier to swallow for me.

I had no knowledge of Stiggers at the time, but from what I've seen so far I love the pick.  Young, experience and success playing against men, could potentially see a decent amount of playing time as a rookie.  With Reed and Carter II set to become UFAs after next season, investing in another CB was a good move.  Another one I'm looking forward to watching in camp.

Key was fine I suppose.  Big school, plays a position where we could use some youth.  He'll get a shot to compete probably for that last S spot.  No expectations really but I'll be rooting for him since the Mr. Irrelevant tag could be a pretty good motivator.

Overall, considering we had no 2nd, I'm happy with how it panned out.  Should have at least 2 guys who will get significant playing time this year in Corley and one of the RBs.  3 guys if you believe Smith is a lock to go down at some point.  Got a really exciting QB project, and a corner that will probably be a fan favorite from day one.  We didn't get that true game-changing talent, but we continued building the foundation.  If anything this wasn't a "win now" draft, but a "build for the long term" draft.  Can't say I hate that strategy, even with AR around.  

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, slats said:

Corley is the same height as Chrebet, but 25-30 pounds heavier, and faster. This is the pick I’m most excited about. 

It is also the riskiest pick of the draft for the Jets.  I think this draft will be remembered based on Corley's production.  If he does well, even a healthier 80% Deebo, then it will be seen as a great draft.  If he's just another gadget bust (as there are all over the league every year) then the '24 draft will not be regarded as a success.

This is all so simple:  JD and Saleh were determined and hell-bent on fishing for a Deebo Samuel.  They think they got one.  We will see.  I love the tape but no matter how you slice it, he's a gadget, just like Deebo.  That could end up being great for us or a bust. 

• Upvote 1

Incomplete.  Two RBs were a question mark as to why do that, the CFL player was a reach and clearly a hit or miss prospect.  As always, they all want the off season accolades, but check back at Thanskgiving and see who actually plays and contributes, let alone who makes the team.  

4 hours ago, Ben Had said:

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/nfl-draft-grades-rankings-rookie-class/

New York Jets Draft Grade: C+

Instant impact: Malachi Corley, WR

Best value: Olu Fashanu, OT

Riskiest pick: Braelon Allen, RB

Second-round pick Malachi Corley should start immediately in the slot and be a weapon after the catch. Olu Fashanu will be the starting left tackle by 2025 at the latest. But there probably isn’t another future starter in this class, though Qwan’tez Stiggers is an exciting developmental prospect. 

Buffalo Bills Draft Grade: C

Instant impact: Keon Coleman, WR

Best value: Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C

Riskiest pick: Coleman

The perception of this draft hinges on Keon Coleman because they need instant production. However, Coleman is one of the biggest boom-or-bust prospects in this class. Day 2 picks Cole Bishop and DeWayne Carter offer some long-term value but probably only add depth in the short term. 

Miami Dolphins Draft Grade: A

Instant impact: Patrick Paul, OT

Best value: Mohamed Kamara, EDGE

Riskiest pick: none

The Dolphins filled needs and got great value at each draft slot. No one has an obvious path to an immediate starting job, but Chop Robinson will factor into the rotation of pass-rushers and Patrick Paul will undoubtedly be forced into action by a Terron Armstead injury at some point. 

New England Patriots Draft Grade: C-

Instant impact: Drake Maye, QB

Best value: Javon Baker, WR

Riskiest pick: Maye

The selection of Drake Maye is understandable, but also extremely risky given the state of this roster. It’s hard to develop a quarterback with limited talent around him. Then they reached for Ja’Lynn Polk and Caedan Wallace to fill needs at those positions. 

A solid B from me ... it was a draft that lacked sizzle, but that's not a bad thing. Actually quite refreshing to come out of it not gushing about how all these guys will have an immediate impact - because filling starting jobs with rookies means you had a lot of holes to start with. Starting a whole bunch of rookies is not usually looked at as being a good thing.

Getting our left tackle of the future is a huge win - as good a prospect as you're likely to get in an average year, at one of the premium positions, where your current starter is on a one year deal and racking up the injuries.

My main disappointment is that we didn't do more at WR. Not a knock on Corley, I'm looking forward to seeing him contribute (he'll likely have the biggest impact out of the gate). But we're no further forward in terms of our #1 / #2 - I had really hoped we'd take a shot on a Day 3 guy who could perhaps become a future starter, given how deep the draft was at WR. I don't believe that none of the guys on Day 3 couldn't push Brownlee / Charles for snaps behind GW & MW. Better hope both these guys stay healthy the whole year.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1