OTAs 2024, Days 1-3

5 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I need the TD video like humans need water to survive

I’m so happy that I didn’t pass the Jet fan gene down to my children. It might’ve been something for us to talk about, but nothing good. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Falco21 said:

I think this is more your attempt to spin something in your favor to try and justify your stance and comments on it when it was circulating. 

My stance was that Rodgers was very likely offered the role and my hope was that he would take the role. I was reliably informed that 1. Rodgers was never actually in consideration and 2. Rodgers was never offered the VP slot. The man himself is saying that he was in consideration and he was offered the role. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Falco21 said:

Not sure who said that, but the wide take on here and by myself was that Rodgers was never going to take the job and was just letting the media run wild with the story to help gain exposure for his friend. I'm pretty sure a large majority on here knew this story was bullsh*t in the sense that he was never going to take that title and leave football. 

I think this is more your attempt to spin something in your favor to try and justify your stance and comments on it when it was circulating. 

But hey, we're all speculating here... 

That's how I remember it as well. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

So interesting. I had been told that this was a fake, made up story by the evil media. 

Maybe some said that but most people I saw arguing with you were simply telling you that he’d never actually retire after 4 snaps as a Jet to run on a 3rd party ticket that had no shot at winning a single electoral vote, let alone the election 

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

My stance was that Rodgers was very likely offered the role and my hope was that he would take the role. I was reliably informed that 1. Rodgers was never actually in consideration and 2. Rodgers was never offered the VP slot. The man himself is saying that he was in consideration and he was offered the role. 

Again, some may have told you that he was never offered the role and that him being on RFK’s list was made up, but the consensus I remember is simply that he’d never do it - which I always felt was fairly obvious.  

I think you are remembering things the way you want to remember them 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, NYJCAP2 said:

Love Sauce, but no one wants to hear this.

Focus on winning the division.

Better yet, beat SF.

Agree with this. 

Try having a winning season before you start talking about the SB 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Maybe some said that but most people I saw arguing with you were simply telling you that he’d never actually retire after 4 snaps as a Jet to run on a 3rd party ticket that had no shot at winning a single electoral vote, let alone the election 

That’s fair

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

mangold was the start/peak of the "big center" phenomenon, and most teams look for that player (Tippmann, for example, is more Mangold than Mawae). Before that era centers had to be shortish. Now, it's like 5 tackles out there 

Mawae was the prototypical undersized mobile center, and while teams still have that guy (David Andrews, Aaron Brewer, Kelce, who just retired), for the most part, that's a thing of the past. Given a choice, coaches will take the guy who's taller and 50 pounds heavier  

Coaches really value OL who can play more than one position - which was likely a big  selling point on Tippman for the Jets

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, sec143dmf said:

Buzz after a 1 hour OTA practice???  How badly do you guys need info?  Jesus.  I get the excitement but it is literally May 21st.  What kind of buzz or news do you guys expect? 

You are misinterpreting what I wrote.  The guy I asked works in the building.  My question was about the offseason, not 1 practice.  

6 hours ago, bitonti said:

I personally would take Mangold over mawae (and I think most Jets fans would) but it has to be said mawae had a better resume 

It's an interesting debate at least

Mangold was bigger and more impact at the Los but mawae was a pull master like kelce 

Mawae 8x Pro Bowl, 7x All Pro 

Mangold 7x Pro Bowl, 2x All Pro 

Mawae at the next level owning Zach Thomas are some fond memories. 

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Joe Douglas will be trading a mid round pick in season to get a safety.

That position group is week and thin.   Not sure why the Jets did no make a better effort at addressing it.

I disagree that it's weak.  It's not one of the top safety units in the NFL, but it's not the worst.  There are several reasons why the Jets didn't do more to address the safety positions.  For starters, they like like Adams and they liked Clark enough to sign him to a FA contract last year, and then re-signed him this year even though he was injured and didn't play.  Davis makes plays and progressed a lot last season.  The big unknown is JBC.  Will Jayley Key or one of the UDFAs be able to supplant him on the roster?  We'll see.  Secondly, the Jets don't value the safety position.  That much has been pretty clear with the way they've handled the position in FA and the draft.  Thirdly, and perhaps most importantly, they didn't have the cap space this offseason to sign big name S to a FA deal.  Remember than they need to re-sign Reed and MC II, then have 10-11 starters  (including Reed and MC II) and 6 key backups that will be FAs in 2025, and have to extend Sauce, JJ, Breece, and G. Wilson.  Every team in the NFL has weaker depth somewhere.  I'm not worried about the Safety position, and unless there is a major injury to one of them, I don't see JD making a trade in season.  I do wish that he had drafted Jaden Hicks in the 4th round.  I think he is a very good SS prospect.  The problem is that both Clark and Davis are more SSs than they are FSs.  I think that's probably why JD didn't take Hicks.  Stiggers could wind up backing up Adams.  He doesn't have a ton of speed and has little experience, but he has great instincts and is a true ballhawk and playmaker.

• Upvote 2

This place is really out of step with every other jets fan I know 

it’s a shame

All the smear campaigns and trolling have left a small group of people that regurgitate the same crap over and over. Is it to fit in? Likes ?

this roster is loaded , the schedule is favorable and the jets are going to host a home playoff game this year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

8 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

In your opinion, is #3 a main part of the reason they don’t double up on WRs in the draft?

I had hoped that they could have doubled up on WRs, but they really couldn't double up.  Since they didn't have a 2nd round pick and didn't get Corley until the 3rd, by their pick in the 4th round, there were only 1-2 WRs still available who weren't slot WRs.  Taking another would have been pointless.  Also by the 4th round, I don't think there was a single WR who could have helped the Jets this season.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

I had hoped that they could have doubled up on WRs, but they really couldn't double up.  Since they didn't have a 2nd round pick and didn't get Corley until the 3rd, by their pick in the 4th round, there were only 1-2 WRs still available who weren't slot WRs.  Taking another would have been pointless.  Also by the 4th round, I don't think there was a single WR who could have helped the Jets this season.

Reports were that Douglas was going balls out for Odunze, but Atlanta wouldn’t blink because they wanted Penix. The question is, did they want Odunze that bad because they think Odunze is great, or because they recognize WR2 as a real weakness? 

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Reports were that Douglas was going balls out for Odunze, but Atlanta wouldn’t blink because they wanted Penix. The question is, did they want Odunze that bad because they think Odunze is great, or because they recognize WR2 as a real weakness? 

The former; WR2 isn't a terrible weakness (when healthy Williams is a high-end No. 2 and even if he's injured Lazard is a passable No. 2 when playing with Rodgers and a No. 1) though there's a lot of variation in the range of outcomes there (top-5 No. 2 WR vs bottom 5). Odunze just profiles as a legit No. 1 WR type, the type of guy they could have penciled in with Wilson for the next 6 years rather than a 1-year solution with health questions

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Nah.  They were gonna draft Odunze if he dropped and I still think they would have taken Malachi.

If they had taken Odunze, there's no way that they would have still taken Corley.  They would have had to taken an OT, and probably would have tried harder and given up more to move up into the 2nd round.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

You are misinterpreting what I wrote.  The guy I asked works in the building.  My question was about the offseason, not 1 practice.  

All good. Cheers. Let’s hope for the best. JETS!    

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Larz said:

This place is really out of step with every other jets fan I know 

it’s a shame

All the smear campaigns and trolling have left a small group of people that regurgitate the same crap over and over. Is it to fit in? Likes ?

this roster is loaded , the schedule is favorable and the jets are going to host a home playoff game this year. 

“From your lips to God’s ears” 

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don't think it was just the need at WR2.  If it was, I think there would have been more chatter about Nabers who was just as attainable. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

I disagree that it's weak.  It's not one of the top safety units in the NFL, but it's not the worst.  There are several reasons why the Jets didn't do more to address the safety positions.  For starters, they like like Adams and they liked Clark enough to sign him to a FA contract last year, and then re-signed him this year even though he was injured and didn't play.  Davis makes plays and progressed a lot last season.  The big unknown is JBC.  Will Jayley Key or one of the UDFAs be able to supplant him on the roster?  We'll see.  Secondly, the Jets don't value the safety position.  That much has been pretty clear with the way they've handled the position in FA and the draft.  Thirdly, and perhaps most importantly, they didn't have the cap space this offseason to sign big name S to a FA deal.  Remember than they need to re-sign Reed and MC II, then have 10-11 starters  (including Reed and MC II) and 6 key backups that will be FAs in 2025, and have to extend Sauce, JJ, Breece, and G. Wilson.  Every team in the NFL has weaker depth somewhere.  I'm not worried about the Safety position, and unless there is a major injury to one of them, I don't see JD making a trade in season.  I do wish that he had drafted Jaden Hicks in the 4th round.  I think he is a very good SS prospect.  The problem is that both Clark and Davis are more SSs than they are FSs.  I think that's probably why JD didn't take Hicks.  Stiggers could wind up backing up Adams.  He doesn't have a ton of speed and has little experience, but he has great instincts and is a true ballhawk and playmaker.

I agree. I think Stiggers is fine in the speed department.  I think he ran a 4.45.  Not blazing but solid enough.  I was thinking of him too, but Ulbrich mentioned Oliver today.  Those tweets were a bit different, one sounded like they moved Oliver to safety for good, the other like they were just trying things and giving that a go.   FWIW, when they signed Oliver I read some articles from when they were in Atlanta and when Dennard got healthy and Raheem Morris took over they moved him to slot and  talked about him at safety.

When Morris was promoted to interim head coach, Jeff Ulbrich was named the defensive coordinator who had this to say about Oliver. “He’s proven to be a very good tackler. He’s got the ability to support the box. Play almost safety-like roles at times. He’s got length, the size, willingness and tackling ability, all of that.”  

https://www.sportstalkatl.com/falcons-moving-isaiah-oliver-to-safety-could-prolong-his-time-in-atlanta/

• Upvote 3

• Bronx changed the title to OTAs 2024, Days 1-3