Jets plan to give Tyron Smith “lots of rest days” in training camp.

Not to be a doomer, but this doesn’t work. You can have the five besr individual pass blockers in the world on the field on game days, but if they don’t have continuity and cohesion, they’re going to give up free runners all day long. It’s great that Douglas brought in three new starters on the OL, but if they can’t practice together and build some chemistry, they’re doomed. This explains why Smith was on the street for weeks with no offers and had to eat the Jets all-incentives deal. 

“Smith’s practice plan during Jets camp will be heavy on rest days, according to Zack Rosenblatt of TheAthletic.com.

The Jets’ entire starting offensive line for 2024 has never practiced together in the offseason, and it remains to be seen how much work they’ll get together in camp. Right tackle Morgan Moses had pectoral surgery and right guard Alijah Vera-Tucker is recovering from an Achilles injury, so the Jets need their offensive line to get healthy before the season.”

• Upvote 2
  • More Ugh 1

2 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Reddick is going to hold out the entire season.

Olu is going to suck.

Williams will have a set back with his ACL. Out for season.

Rodgers is going down in the first game.

Taylor will get hurt game 2.

Travis will complety bomb 

AVT gets hurt again.

Did I miss anything?

That’s dark, man

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Olu is going to suck.

AVT gets hurt again.

Did I miss anything?

More evidence of the amateur hour clown show down at 1JD and you mad, I’m not surprised though 

Let me give you a hint: These dudes are star struck and let players with names walk all over them 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

More evidence of the amateur hour clown show down at 1JD and you mad, I’m not surprised though 

Let me give you a hint: These dudes are star struck and let players with names walk all over them 

What could go wrong in an all in season while banking on mercenaries. The sliver of hope of Rodgers is really focused on winning, but even my feelings are waning on that.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

What could go wrong in an all in season while banking on mercenaries. The sliver of hope of Rodgers is really focused on winning, but even my feelings are waning on that.

Rodgers didn’t do it in GB in a weaker division/conference , I don’t expect him to do it in the conference with all the young generational QBs 

Add that to the fact that we are relying on prone to injury players at key positions…

Explosion Badass GIF

34 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Rodgers didn’t do it in GB in a weaker division/conference , I don’t expect him to do it in the conference with all the young generational QBs 

Add that to the fact that we are relying on prone to injury players at key positions…

Explosion Badass GIF

giphy.gif

18 minutes ago, BCJet said:

To the people complaining about this - do you guys know that the Cowboys greatly limited his TC and practice work last year and he wound up playing 13 games?

In a sight for sore eyes, Mike McCarthy told reporters this week that it's an option Smith won't practice Wednesdays and Thursdays for the rest of the season. Sure enough, Smith missed Wednesday's walkthrough with an illness and rehabbed off to the side on Thursday.

Smith proved Sunday against the Eagles that he doesn't need to practice. He didn't allow a single pressure on 57 pass-blocking snaps, per Pro Football Focus. Whether the 32-year-old was matched up against Haason Reddick, Josh Sweat or rookie Nolan Smith, he put all three edge rushers through a pass-blocking clinic.

LT is not a position that needs a ton of continuity especially when you are dealing with a veteran like Smith.  I hope he barely practices all season if it keeps him healthy for the actual games.

Smith wanted the Cowboys to bring him back at a discount and they passed on doing so. You can’t have part time players on the OL. It’s also why Bakhtiari is still on the street. 

44 minutes ago, BCJet said:

To the people complaining about this - do you guys know that the Cowboys greatly limited his TC and practice work last year and he wound up playing 13 games?

In a sight for sore eyes, Mike McCarthy told reporters this week that it's an option Smith won't practice Wednesdays and Thursdays for the rest of the season. Sure enough, Smith missed Wednesday's walkthrough with an illness and rehabbed off to the side on Thursday.

Smith proved Sunday against the Eagles that he doesn't need to practice. He didn't allow a single pressure on 57 pass-blocking snaps, per Pro Football Focus. Whether the 32-year-old was matched up against Haason Reddick, Josh Sweat or rookie Nolan Smith, he put all three edge rushers through a pass-blocking clinic.

LT is not a position that needs a ton of continuity especially when you are dealing with a veteran like Smith.  I hope he barely practices all season if it keeps him healthy for the actual games.

What if he gets hurt? Should he start practicing once he’s healthy?

• WTF? 1

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He didn’t practice, played 13 games…and then what happened?

He played 100% of the snaps in the playoffs?  Is this supposed to be a big “gotcha” or are we going to rightfully talk about how Jerry Jones is leaning towards Dak Prescott and CeeDee Lamb a combined $120 million dollars per year between the 2 of them, something most people are arguing against, yourself included IIRC?

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

He played 100% of the snaps in the playoffs?  Is this supposed to be a big “gotcha” or is Jerry Jones deciding he’s going to pay Dak Prescott $60 million dollars per year, something most people are arguing against, yourself included IIRC, going to be the next one?

Mike Fisher, Cowboys beat writer:

FRISCO - “I would’ve loved to have stayed home in Dallas,'' All-Pro left tackle Tyron Smith said on Friday night in noting the news of his move via free agency from the Cowboys to the New York Jets.

ADVERTISEMENT
And in short ... the Cowboys didn't love him back. Not enough, anyway, to match the Jets' bargain offer of a one-year deal that while billed as "up to $20 million'' is actually in essence a $6.5 million promise.

7 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Jerry Jones realized he had $110 million per year wrapped up in future Dak & CeeDee contracts and he needed to get young/cheap elsewhere?

The Cowboys are currently sitting on $12 mil in cap space, twice as much as the Jets. 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Tyron Smith is a good player. The plan to have guys like Tyron Smith and Morgan Moses chill all summer (by necessity) and expect the OL to be competent in regular season play is not realistic. 

I've put in some calls.

The_Genie_Aladdin.png

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Tyron Smith is a good player. The plan to have guys like Tyron Smith and Morgan Moses chill all summer (by necessity) and expect the OL to be competent in regular season play is not realistic. 

Bold idea. Let the football players practice like they are football players. Camp practices are barely 2 hours. Most are not in full pads. This is more Jets stupidity. This regime has not won any games and they have it all figured out. I can’t wait until these guys are  gone. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

Mike Fisher, Cowboys beat writer:

FRISCO - “I would’ve loved to have stayed home in Dallas,'' All-Pro left tackle Tyron Smith said on Friday night in noting the news of his move via free agency from the Cowboys to the New York Jets.

ADVERTISEMENT
And in short ... the Cowboys didn't love him back. Not enough, anyway, to match the Jets' bargain offer of a one-year deal that while billed as "up to $20 million'' is actually in essence a $6.5 million promise.

Again:

Those same decision makers are leaning towards giving cap crippling contracts to 2 players…after they got shafted by giving Ezekiel Elliot a 6-year, 90 million dollar contract….IN 2019.

They also hired Mike McCarthy.

The Cowboys are, admittedly, great at finding talent.  Their decision making is still very suspect.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Again:

Those same decision makers are leaning towards giving cap crippling contracts to 2 players…after they got shafted by giving Ezekiel Elliot a 6-year, 90 million dollar contract….IN 2019.

They also hired Mike McCarthy.

The Cowboys are, admittedly, great at finding talent.  Their decision making is still very suspect.

Agreed and all that, but in a contest between the Jets and Cowboys over personnel management, I’m giving the old hat tip to the Cowpokes. Also, Smith had no other offers. 

4 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Olu is going to suck.

AVT gets hurt again.

Did I miss anything?

No, pretty solid whiny fan narrative. Give it a 7.2.

This season is all about trying to thread the needle and hit on a low percentage outcome for a team that had limited resources and a small window to try to win. It’s the culmination of a bunch of personnel mistakes mixed in with some big hits.

Signing of Smith and the plan for him fits right in. Don’t think there was a better idea for a team that’s dreaming big. Impact on Fashanu’s practice time and having him in the first place are key as well.

• Upvote 3