Jets plan to give Tyron Smith “lots of rest days” in training camp.

T0mShane

14 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Item 3 is also a great point.

So JD finds a veteran to hold down the LT spot for a reasonable salary and also drafts the long term player at this premium position.  Not only that, but the veteran is good enough to get multiple rest days throughout TC and the regular season, which will in turn help him to remain healthy AND give extra reps to the first round pick we are trying to develop behind him, and yet this is somehow bad?

Yessir. As others have pointed out in this thread, Tyron sitting means Olu playing (with the ones). This is huge. Many on here don't think Tyron will make it thru the season (fair), making our 1st round pick all the more valuable. But only is he gets the reps, not only TC, but throughout the season.

Taking it further, if the Jets have a big lead and go to the run game to burn the clock and close out the game, we could see Olu subbing in. Tyron is NOT a great run blocker, so turning that late-game roll over to Olu Fashanu could make sense. No need for Tyron to get injured during garbage time!

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Not to be a doomer, but this doesn’t work. You can have the five besr individual pass blockers in the world on the field on game days, but if they don’t have continuity and cohesion, they’re going to give up free runners all day long. It’s great that Douglas brought in three new starters on the OL, but if they can’t practice together and build some chemistry, they’re doomed. This explains why Smith was on the street for weeks with no offers and had to eat the Jets all-incentives deal. 

“Smith’s practice plan during Jets camp will be heavy on rest days, according to Zack Rosenblatt of TheAthletic.com.

The Jets’ entire starting offensive line for 2024 has never practiced together in the offseason, and it remains to be seen how much work they’ll get together in camp. Right tackle Morgan Moses had pectoral surgery and right guard Alijah Vera-Tucker is recovering from an Achilles injury, so the Jets need their offensive line to get healthy before the season.”

That's what the Cowboys have been doing for the last 2 years.   He knows how to play, more time for the rookie to get reps.

He's great, when healthy.  Just try to keep him healthy.

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

—Smith is still a good player

—There was zero market for Smith this offseason.

—The plan to try and staple a brand new OL together under Keith Carter while giving them the summer off going into a year where you’re trying to sprint to the Super Bowl is bad-bad. 

—Jets open with three games in ten games, two of them on the road.

- Smith is still an elite player, not a good player. Moses is still a good player.

- He was signed on like day 4 of free agency. If there was no market for him they could have had him for less. At this stage of his career it goes without saying he already reduced his potential locations to those he considered contenders. 

- The "plan" is to keep him from unnecessary injuries. Twice in the last four years he missed basically the whole season. It's part of the package with him, and it's not smarter to ignore past history because of some idea that this veteran needs practice time (which will be well-spent on the rookie anyway). 

- The 3rd game of those three is on Thursday night. He wouldn't have been practicing the next two days anyway -- 6D chess ;).  

Pledge your allegiance to Rodgers or face the consequences, jerky. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Not to be a doomer, but this doesn’t work. You can have the five besr individual pass blockers in the world on the field on game days, but if they don’t have continuity and cohesion, they’re going to give up free runners all day long. It’s great that Douglas brought in three new starters on the OL, but if they can’t practice together and build some chemistry, they’re doomed. This explains why Smith was on the street for weeks with no offers and had to eat the Jets all-incentives deal. 

“Smith’s practice plan during Jets camp will be heavy on rest days, according to Zack Rosenblatt of TheAthletic.com.

The Jets’ entire starting offensive line for 2024 has never practiced together in the offseason, and it remains to be seen how much work they’ll get together in camp. Right tackle Morgan Moses had pectoral surgery and right guard Alijah Vera-Tucker is recovering from an Achilles injury, so the Jets need their offensive line to get healthy before the season.”

I think that a veteran of many many years can gel with classroom work and walkthroughs.

Vera Tucker may have some communication issues, assuming he is left guard, but I would rather have Smith healthy.

Let the other long in the tooth veteran make up for some miscommunications with quick throws and throwaways.

Jmo.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, T0mShane said:

—Smith is still a good player

—There was zero market for Smith this offseason.

—The plan to try and staple a brand new OL together under Keith Carter while giving them the summer off going into a year where you’re trying to sprint to the Super Bowl is bad-bad. 

—Jets open with three games in ten games, two of them on the road.

All of my concerns about the OL this year are intrinsically related to the PTSD I’ve developed as a fan for over 50 years. Outside of that, I feel pretty good about it. Every year I expect the first month of the season to be sloppy football, and I haven’t been wrong yet - and that’s for just about every team in the league. After playing three games in 10 days, they get nine days of recuperation before facing the juggernaut from Denver. Can’t cry over the schedule, many teams have it worse. 

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

- Smith is still an elite player, not a good player. Moses is still a good player.

- He was signed on like day 4 of free agency. If there was no market for him they could have had him for less. At this stage of his career it goes without saying he already reduced his potential locations to those he considered contenders. 

- The "plan" is to keep him from unnecessary injuries. Twice in the last four years he missed basically the whole season. It's part of the package with him, and it's not smarter to ignore past history because of some idea that this veteran needs practice time (which will be well-spent on the rookie anyway). 

- The 3rd game of those three is on Thursday night. He wouldn't have been practicing the next two days anyway -- 6D chess ;).  

Pledge your allegiance to Rodgers or face the consequences, jerky. 

Bitch Slap Slapping GIF by La Guarimba Film Festival

p.s. that gif is not to call you the fat guy on the bike or anything but this is a perfect representation of T0m being a nuisance and you handling him appropriately.  

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Bitch Slap Slapping GIF by La Guarimba Film Festival

p.s. that gif is not to call you the fat guy on the bike or anything but this is a perfect representation of T0m being a nuisance and you handling him appropriately.  

My strategy when confronting Sperm Edwards is to keep my powder dry until AI develops to the point where I can use it to stuff him into a locker. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, derp said:

For what it’s worth, you’ve used “good” to describe Smith a couple times now and that probably understates the level of player he is. He was second team All Pro at a premium position last year on top of a tremendous career so not like that was a blip.

The only thing that is valuable about this thread, is learning that T0m had no idea that Smith is elite and a lock for the HOF as he describes him as, "good".

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

I was wearing it when you bought that Kerry Rhodes jersey, remember?

I was also the guy who told you herbs that Rex was going to despise Kerry Rhodes and your ilk attacked me for that as well. I really need to hire a historian to chronicle all the times I warned you people about Jets issues and you, in return, tried burning me at the stake like Galileo. I know ball. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I was also the guy who told you herbs that Rex was going to despise Kerry Rhodes and your ilk attacked me for that as well. I really need to hire a historian to chronicle all the times I warned you people about Jets issues and you, in return, tried burning me at the stake like Galileo. I know ball. 

Oh, really?  Want me to go find the receipts of you blowing Rex his first few years?  You cant lie to me, homey, I remember all and I'm always right. 

I know this post hurt you too, so maybe you should find more posts of mine to neg rep as you pick the sand out of your vagina. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Oh, really?  Want me to go find the receipts of you blowing Rex his first few years?  You cant lie to me, homey, I remember all and I'm always right. 

I know this post hurt you too, so maybe you should find more posts of mine to neg rep as you pick the sand out of your vagina. 

Go FIND those posts, you weasel. I’m the world’s most staunch Eric Mangini lover, but I was “fellating” Rex, who was set to undo all of Mangini’s foundation-building? Eat some ass. But while you’re sifting through that time period, be sure to pull up some of your “Sexy Mexy” Sanchez posts! I forget nothing. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Go FIND those posts, you weasel. I’m the world’s most staunch Eric Mangini lover, but I was “fellating” Rex, who was set to undo all of Mangini’s foundation-building? Eat some ass. But while you’re sifting through that time period, be sure to pull up some of your “Sexy Mexy” Sanchez posts! I forget nothing. 

Respect you and your memories both. Can’t even remember what I said yesterday to my wife yesterday. She made me pork chops, baked tato and some corn on da cob. So must been good, 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Respect you and your memories both. Can’t even remember what I said yesterday to my wife yesterday. She made me pork chops, baked tato and some corn on da cob. So must been good, 

That dinner sounds amazing and you should invite me over, you bastard. But, my memory is awful. I just know that @JustInFudge is on a dial-up connection in a musty office above an unlicensed tattoo shop in Jacksonville and looking for Rex posts will keep him tied up most of the day. 

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

T0m didn’t turn on Rex until he saw the reaction I was getting burning the fat slob down and then he formed his PG version of my schtick. Facts.

28 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

We are spirit animals. I don’t even remember throw gasoline on the fire two posts ago.

• Upvote 1