Warren Sharp Ranks Jets O-Line 6

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yes it is.

Health is a risk for the Jets.  A big risk, for this team, going into 2024.  Especially at O-line.

If that isn't clear enough for you, or you want to debate what "for" or "the" means, too bad, because I'm not interested in your usual foolishness today.  :roll:

I don't blame you for waving the flag. Don't get so bent when you get called on your bullsh*t.

And I never said injury wasn't a risk. 

1 minute ago, bicketybam said:

I don't blame you for waving the flag. Don't get so bent when you get called on your bullsh*t.

Lol, ok. :roll:

1 minute ago, bicketybam said:

And I never said injury wasn't a risk. 

No you were too busy being your usual self to actually discuss the topic.   Like most trolls, most of your posts are attacks about what other people say, not you saying anything of note yourself.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Lol, ok. :roll:

No you were too busy being your usual self to actually discuss the topic.   Like most trolls, most of your posts are attacks about what other people say, not you saying anything of note yourself.

You don't take criticism well, do you?

"The Jets OL is good on paper but when 4/5 of the line gets hurt it won't be good."

Great stuff, Chief 👍 

14 minutes ago, Warfish said:
1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

That and yes, questioning the idea that Moses, AVT, Rodgers, Hall, Sperm Edwards is the greatest!!! OMG I love-love-love him!!! etc will go down, at once is questioned.  As you just did.  Right here.  

I have no idea what you're trying to say here tbqh.  

When I typed this paragraph, the Sperm line wasn’t there.  Sperm Edwards is the greatest!!! OMG I love-love-love him!!!

Type in T I p p y, remove the spaces and there it goes.  Lol

And yes, I don’t agree that a snapped ligament means Rodgers or Hall are an injury risk anymore than I should worry about a player who’s never been an injury risk or has deteriorated like Moses.

And the head in the sand meme was pretty pointless, we all know that every player in the NFL is one play from missing a season.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Here what you don’t comprehend.   These guys never played together , you can’t throw a bunch of players on an offenseline  together , and expect this line to perform at a top level .  ( that’s before taken the injury history of some of these offense lineman - Tyron smith hasn’t played more than five games on even year)     Why this might be the stupidest post ever ranking the Jets offense line in top 10.      You might not have some of these players AVT till the games start for real.      But it’s the off-season so let’s tell the Jet fan how great this team is everywhere.       Than when everything goes to crap on the offense line people act like they are surprised 

You know what you don’t comprehend?  That putting an all pro group of players together early in the off season doesn’t mean they can’t play well together.  
What you also don’t comprehend is that with a top defense contributing to the teams success they can grow and jell while still winning games.  
Also you’re going to have to just accept that this team is viewed as a SB contender.  As much as you hate to hear their praise all off season while no one gives a sh*t about the Raiders. 

When I typed this paragraph, the Sperm line wasn’t there.  Sperm Edwards is the greatest!!! OMG I love-love-love him!!!

Fair enough.

And yes, I don’t agree that a snapped ligament means Rodgers or Hall are an injury risk anymore than I should worry about a player who’s never been an injury risk or has deteriorated like Moses.

OK, happy to agree to disagree then.  I see all three as possible risks, albeit Hall and Moses as lower tier risks (but still risks) than say, Williams or T. Smith or AVT, or a 40-year old Rodgers coming back off two injury seasons being an injury risk.

And to be clear "risk", or even "higher risk" =/= "definitely will get hurt".  

• Upvote 1

Just now, BigRy56 said:

The Jets are trotting out a very very strong roster. Stay healthy and the playoff drought will be a distant memory 

I agree.

I don't get why the "but if we get certain injuries we will be screwed" mantra only applies to us. As great as a coach Andy Reid is, what happens to the Chiefs if Mahomes suffers a season ending injury in week 3? No way they are winning a Super Bowl. What about if 4/5 of the Lions OL guys down. How are they doing this season?

Contrary to a lot of people's beliefs, I'm not some green colored glasses pom pom waving Jets fan. I've been a fan since 1986 and have pretty much seen it all. Collapse after collapse. QB bust after QB bust. But I don't think the team is cursed and that I should always expect the worst "because Jets."

It's easy to say "13 YeArS nO pLaYoFfS" and deem we are the doormat of the NFL. But what about 2001 - 2010 when the Jets went to the playoffs 6 out of the 10 years and went to the AFC Championship game twice? Guess who owned the team then? Same guy.

I'm don't buy into the "because Jets" nonsense. Evey team has the threat of injury to their important players FFS. This isn't unique to the Jets. Remember Red Sox Fans in the 80's? That what we've become. #sad

18 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

I don't get why the "but if we get certain injuries we will be screwed" mantra only applies to us.

Who said it only applies to us?

As great as a coach Andy Reid is, what happens to the Chiefs if Mahomes suffers a season ending injury in week 3?

With Carson Wentz as their backup QB?  They probably don't make the playoffs, depending on when the injury occurs of course.

What about if 4/5 of the Lions OL guys down. How are they doing this season?

Probably a lot less well than they would otherwise.

Is their O-line a big injury risk, or have players with recent history of lots of missed time?  I honestly don't know off the top of my head.

Contrary to a lot of people's beliefs, I'm not some green colored glasses pom pom waving Jets fan.

Sure.

I've been a fan since 1986 and have pretty much seen it all. Collapse after collapse. QB bust after QB bust. But I don't think the team is cursed and that I should always expect the worst "because Jets."

It's easy to say "13 YeArS nO pLaYoFfS" and deem we are the doormat of the NFL. But what about 2001 - 2010 when the Jets went to the playoffs 6 out of the 10 years and went to the AFC Championship game twice? Guess who owned the team then? Same guy.

I'm don't buy into the "because Jets" nonsense. Evey team has the threat of injury to their important players FFS. This isn't unique to the Jets. Remember Red Sox Fans in the 80's? That what we've become. #sad

Agreed. 

There is no curse, just (mostly) consistently poor management, handling of the QB position and coaching the past 13 years, and at various points in our history before that. 

Plenty of pessimistic fans tho.  And plenty of pollyannas too.  People are people, same as it's ever been.  

Just now, Warfish said:

Who said it only applies to us?

With Carson Wentz as their backup QB?  They probably don't make the playoffs, depending on when the injury occurs of course.

Probably a lot less well than they would otherwise.

Is their O-line a big injury risk?  I honestly don't know off the top of my head.

Sure.

Agreed. 

There is no curse, just (mostly) consistently poor management, handling of the QB position and coaching the past 13 years, and at various points in our history before that. 

Plenty of pessimistic fans tho.  And plenty of pollyannas too.  People are people, same as it's ever been.  

If you think this forum is more positive than negative, then you must sniff glue for a living.

Amazing how you glossed over 6/10 playoff years with 2 AFC championship games in the first 10 years of Woody's ownership. They even won the AFC East during that time.

Look, my issue is when you responded with a "It looks good on paper but when they all get hurt it's over" post. I get it. It's your schtick. You want to be that 1980's Red Sox fan that revels in the misfortune. And considering only 1 in 32 win it all you can claim you are all knowing. Good for you!

You can have the last word. I'm absolutely done. It's like talking to a brick wall.

30 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

If you think this forum is more positive than negative, then you must sniff glue for a living.

I'm finding you do the same thing in every post:

1. Make a claim the person you're quoting never said.  In this case I never said there were "more positive than negative" posters on JN.

2. Throw in an unnecessary insult.

The second is pretty funny given how offended you were about Tom and his little Airline CEO quip.

Let me quote you Bam, maybe that will help:  "Be better."

Amazing how you glossed over 6/10 playoff years with 2 AFC championship games in the first 10 years of Woody's ownership. They even won the AFC East during that time.

Is agreeing with you now considered "glossing over" now?  

Let me repeat myself, maybe that might help:  There is no 'curse'.  Yes we can win with Johnson as owner.  

Look, my issue is when you responded with a "It looks good on paper but when they all get hurt it's over" post. I get it. It's your schtick. You want to be that 1980's Red Sox fan that revels in the misfortune. And considering only 1 in 32 win it all you can claim you are all knowing. Good for you!

You really don't get it.  Maybe stop trying to psychoanalyze everything. 

Or stop claiming people said things they didn't then being mad about the things they didn't say.

Or, best of all, maybe just reply once in a while with your OWN direct thoughts on a topic, as opposed to replying to quote someone and only to attack people for what they think.

Try it, you might find you like it.

You can have the last word. I'm absolutely done. It's like talking to a brick wall.

I highly doubt this will be the last word. 

If anything, you've shown you just can't stop or control yourself from quoting almost every post I make on JN, lol.  

• Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Everyone is  entitled to their opinion but this blocking scheme zone blocking  fits much better to the Raiders offense line personal  than the power scheme they tried running under Josh McDaniel .      Center Andre James and Rg D Parham ( both their games aren’t suited for power scheme,  they excel in Zone blocking scheme  .  Center A James playing a couple years ago in similar zone blocking scheme and excelled .     Rt T Mumford - probably the only starter that isn’t  a great fit.    He’s a devastated run blocker but his technique not the best blocking on the second level .    He so strong even not having correct technique still going to be very effective.( Raiders are going to stretch out a defense , and run a lot outside zone.

Here the starting Offense line Lt Kolton Miller Lg Jackson powers Johnson ( going to be lethal left side c Andre James Rg D Parham  all four of these guys can move get easily out on second level Rg Thaler Munford while not perfect like the other four , is still going to be very effective even if his technique on second level not perfect.

6 Andrus Peat - will backup Lt, Lg  , 7 Dj Glaze  third rounder can play anywhere on offense line- swing tackle 8 Jordan  Meredith 9 Andrew Coker developmental tackle can play Rt / Lt I Liked Dalton Wagner - but he strictly built to play inpower blocking scheme , biggest loser as he’s a terrible fit for new blocking scheme.  10 Cody whitehair- he sucks , don’t care he familiar with blocking scheme.

Raiders have very versatile offense line as a lot of there players can play multiple positions that they can carry only eight offense lineman. ( 9 is the best number:    The starting offense line has played together with the exception of Jackson powers Johnson.  

The Jets Offensive Line names are not as good as the Raiders: Whitehair, Coker &  Glaze are some cool names. Those are the type of names that know how to party.

The Jets have Smith, Simpson and Tucker. Doesn't get more generic than that.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Claymation said:

The Jets Offensive Line names are not as good as the Raiders: Whitehair, Coker &  Glaze are some cool names. Those are the type of names that know how to party.

The Jets have Smith, Simpson and Tucker. Doesn't get more generic than that.

Did someone say Tucker?

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Jets OL always has a decent “ pre “ season ranking. The real “ post “ season ranking however has been league bottom for years. It’s definitely improved, but all the way from the bottom to 6th is quite a stretch to believe ha.

Like last year, when Sharp had us as the 24th best OL in his preseason rankings. 

(Swing and a miss, try again)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

My concerns are not about the starting O-line today.  It's a good group on paper.

My concern is what the O-line looks like when AVT goes down for the season again halfway into the year (2 of the last 2 seasons),  Smith goes down after 2 or 4 or 11 games (3 of the last 4 years), Moses starts showing his age (11th season in the NFL) and Tipperman misses time with multiple nagging injuries (he was hurt a lot last year, we just didn't notice much because he mostly toughed through it).

Glad we have a #1 pick OL sitting in the wings ready to step in, that's the kind of contingency planning a smart GM, being rational about this fragile O-line, does.  But injury risk for the starting 5 remains one of the biggest potential deal-breakers for 2024.

A consistent theme, since injury risk at QB (Rodgers/Taylor both), WR (Williams), RB (Hall), all on offense, are amongst the other possible season-killers/season-derailers going into 2024.

All I'll say is this - what a world it is where injury risk is the primary hurdle between the Jets and a legit Super Bowl run. 

An injury apocalypse will wipe out their season, as it would for any other team. But the Jets are set up very well to deal with a couple of injuries, should they happen, with very good backups at the key positions with the most risk to have some level of injury (Olu for Smith given the history, Taylor for Rodgers given the age, Schweitzer for Vera Tucker given the history). 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

All I'll say is this - what a world it is where injury risk is the primary hurdle between the Jets and a legit Super Bowl run. 

An injury apocalypse will wipe out their season, as it would for any other team. But the Jets are set up very well to deal with a couple of injuries, should they happen, with very good backups at the key positions with the most risk to have some level of injury (Olu for Smith given the history, Taylor for Rodgers given the age, Schweitzer for Vera Tucker given the history). 

Agreed.

"Need to stay healthy" > "Need Zach Wilson to be awesome", lol.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Like last year, when Sharp had us as the 24th best OL in his preseason rankings. 

(Swing and a miss, try again)

Lol ok guy. You will look like a fool if you go back to 2022 pre season prediction for, had us around 10th, when I think we finished dead last , or just next too. Year before I’m sure it was the same. 

They had no where to go but up.  Smith and Moses addressed the tackle issues.  Avt , Simpson and tipp should anchor the interior.  But they still have yet to play a game together and there are some pretty significant injury histories.  I also find it hard to believe they’re ranked above all of the other afc east teams.  Maybe since they all had their additions and departures and buffalos oline isn’t stressed as much as others because of Allen’s running ability.  We’ll see.  September is coming on pretty far quick.

On 6/27/2024 at 8:37 PM, Raideraholic said:

Everyone is  entitled to their opinion but this blocking scheme zone blocking  fits much better to the Raiders offense line personal  than the power scheme they tried running under Josh McDaniel .  

Interesting considering we were told McDaniels scheme was a perfect fit.  Funny how that works.  

On 6/27/2024 at 8:37 PM, Raideraholic said:

Everyone is  entitled to their opinion but this blocking scheme zone blocking  fits much better to the Raiders offense line personal  than the power scheme they tried running under Josh McDaniel .  

Interesting considering we were told McDaniels scheme was a perfect fit.  Funny how that works.  

On 6/28/2024 at 10:38 PM, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol ok guy. You will look like a fool if you go back to 2022 pre season prediction for, had us around 10th, when I think we finished dead last , or just next too. Year before I’m sure it was the same. 

Go find his 2022 ranking, because I can't. But Pff has us at 13 preseason (becton-tomlinson-mcgovern-AVT-Fant, in June), which seems about right for that lineup before the becton & AVT injuries & Tomlinson falling off a cliff), while https://www.actionnetwork.com/nfl/all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-ranked-for-2022-what-it-means-for-bettors had us at 18 post-becton injury, which also seems about right for that group. 

So again, swing and a miss. 

Want to try again? 

On 6/28/2024 at 11:33 AM, Jet Nut said:

And the head in the sand meme was pretty pointless, we all know that every player in the NFL is one play from missing a season.  

Did you find a way to beat the tip without getting caught? How often do you beat the tip?

• Haha 1

On 6/28/2024 at 3:07 PM, Warfish said:

Not sure why this is such a flabergasting thought for you Nut.  

1. Rodgers missed all of 2023 due to injury, and was hampered most of 2022 with injury.  

2. Williams missed 14 games in 2023 due to injury, and 4 games the year before.

3. Hall missed 10 games due to injury in 2022 (and plays #1 RB, a position that takes alot of abuse/rough hits).  

4. AVT missed 12 games in 2023 and 10 games in 2022 to injury.

5, Smith played 30 games of a possible 67 games the last 4 seasons due to injuries.  That's 44% of games played the last 4 years.

These are not opinions, these are just the facts/histories of the players in question.

If you don't see these as possible (not probable per se, but possible) injury risks going into 2024, well, that's just doing this IMO:

OIP.HaJdq9WDRYqihzU30UkgOwHaE-?rs=1&pid=

Where are you drawing that conclusion from? 

Of course we (and I) can "envision" the flip side (said "flip side" being a miraculous lack of injuries for the Jets in 2024 overall).

I've said as much several times over this offseason.  

If Rodgers goes down, the Jets are completely and totally ****ed. Doesn’t matter who the backup is. But this is a thread about the OL. 

These accolades are nice to read and all but, for the most part, I’m with you: time to see the wins. I am actually impressed with what they’ve done with the OL this year, though, especially considering that they had some cap restraints. Smith is a gold jacket at a bargain price for however many games he’s healthy, and we’ve already seen Moses perform well here - and he doesn’t seem to be a guy who loses time to injury. Tippman, too, toughed it out, and my expectation for him would be to improve going into his second year. AVT had no injury history in college, and his injuries in the NFL have come when he’s been playing out of position at OT. That won’t happen this year, as the Jets have quality backup OTs this season. 

All that said, the team has been snakebit at the position lately. There was talk of changing the turf (yet again!), but I don’t recall hearing much since. I hope they have/will. They won’t be successful if they’re once again calling guys up from the practice squad to start. That’s a given, but Fashanu and Warren should be able to hold the fort for a few games, if need be. I’d like to see another veteran IOL picked up in the mini-draft. You can only prepare for injury so much, and I think they’ve done a good job of it. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Go find his 2022 ranking, because I can't. But Pff has us at 13 preseason (becton-tomlinson-mcgovern-AVT-Fant, in June), which seems about right for that lineup before the becton & AVT injuries & Tomlinson falling off a cliff), while https://www.actionnetwork.com/nfl/all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-ranked-for-2022-what-it-means-for-bettors had us at 18 post-becton injury, which also seems about right for that group. 

So again, swing and a miss. 

Want to try again? 

Lol .yes 13, and where did we finish 30th ? Take you medicine guy, Making yourself look foolish here once again :) 

6 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol .yes 13, and where did we finish 30th ? Take you medicine guy, Making yourself look foolish here once again :) 

Yes, after losing Becton for the year again, losing AVT to his first career injury, and Tomlinson playing in a manner completely unexpected for his prior performance, only one of which a reasonable observer would have built into the ranking prior to the year. You understand that post hoc ergo propter hoc is a fallacy, not praise, right? (I know, I know, I'm assuming a lot. But google is right over there, you can figure it out if you want to).

Anyway, your point was "Sharp? That guy's rankings are ridiculous, he always overrates the Jets" not "ok, yeah, pretty exciting that a respected football analyst thinks we have a great line coming into the preseason, but you've got to play the games. Remember how our line played out in 2022?" And the 2023 ranking spikes that one.

At least you got the "this is making one of us look like an idiot" part right 

The line with AVT is different than the line without AVT. With him they have nice dept at LT and they are a really solid group all around.

Without him, and when Smith inevitably goes down, you have some problems.