Revis vs Cromartie X (Twitter) feud (Revis looking like a stooge again)

On 7/7/2024 at 7:30 PM, Mogglez said:

We’ve had this discussion before.  This is Revis’ resumé:

YEAR | GRADE

2008 - Very good.

2009 - Elite.

2010 - Elite.

2011 - Elite.

2012 - Injured.

2013 - Mediocre at best, bad at worst.

2014 - Slightly better than 2013.  Firmly mediocre season.  Got carried to a ring (mostly due to Seattle’s stupidity) though.

2015 - Very good year.  Not great, but best year since 2011.

2016 - Awful.

2017 - Beyond washed.

If this player was not a Jet for any point in his career, would you put him in the Hall of Fame?  Better yet, do you think that this resumé is that of a first ballot Hall Of Famer?

The reason is "elite" isn't a yes/no description. His elite was (at one time) on a different level. That's what this list overlooks: it qualifies his non-elite years but not his elite ones. What he did at his very best should have been impossible under modern rules/officiating. 

At his very best, just leaving it at "elite" suggests it was no better than others' "elite" status. Like Mahomes isn't the only elite QB there's been, but even the numbers aside, there's Mahomes and then there's everyone else (he had one serious veteran receiver, and it was a TE at that, and he carries them to a ring anyway. A season like that should be impossible. That's the difference, and why Mahomes is a HOFer if he retired tomorrow. 

I didn't think he was worth $16MM/year on a $120MM salary cap, but that's because of his position not how great he once was at that position. He certainly wasn't always perfect, because you just can't be. Like yeah he totally faked his hammy injury when Moss schooled him on one play. I've seen other elite corners, but at Revis's best, I never saw his equal. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The reason is "elite" isn't a yes/no description. His elite was (at one time) on a different level. That's what this list overlooks: it qualifies his non-elite years but not his elite ones. What he did at his very best should have been impossible under modern rules/officiating. 

At his very best, just leaving it at "elite" suggests it was no better than others' "elite" status. Like Mahomes isn't the only elite QB there's been, but even the numbers aside, there's Mahomes and then there's everyone else (he had one serious veteran receiver, and it was a TE at that, and he carries them to a ring anyway. A season like that should be impossible. That's the difference, and why Mahomes is a HOFer if he retired tomorrow. 

I didn't think he was worth $16MM/year on a $120MM salary cap, but that's because of his position not how great he once was at that position. He certainly wasn't always perfect, because you just can't be. Like yeah he totally faked his hammy injury when Moss schooled him on one play. I've seen other elite corners, but at Revis's best, I never saw his equal. 

Rodgers has individual seasons on par with Mahomes 

18 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

2013, wrong.  2014, wrong again

16 & 17, not Revis.

Hes an all time player.  Totally belongs in the HOF.  
1st ballot for NFL is meaningless.  Don’t know why football fans don’t get that.  I’ve taught you this

Along with not talking back to your father

2013 - correct.

2014 - correct.

3 elite seasons and a bunch of “eh” are not worthy of a 1st ballot and 1st ballot is far from “meaningless” in the NFL.

I don’t care that he was once a Jet.  He will never be anything more than a mercenary.  A lonely mercenary who is bitter that just about every single player you could think of is more revered than him by the fanbase, so he lashes out at them for absolutely no reason whatsoever.  He did the same thing to Klecko last summer.

23 hours ago, Maxman said:

Totally agree. He was such a good tackler, I thought the worst case was he would move to safety if needed. Lost his heart along the way.

By the end of his career he was allergic to tackling.  

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That’s all well and good - I won’t take those 3 years away from him.  After those 3 years he showed that he was more than mortal.  If he played like the Revis we got in 2015, from 2012 until his retirement, I’d have no arguments.  The truth is that he had an extreme peak, fell off a cliff after tearing his ACL, and I don’t think that the peak makes him a first ballot HoF player.

7 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

2013 - correct.

2014 - correct.

3 elite seasons and a bunch of “eh” are not worthy of a 1st ballot and 1st ballot is far from “meaningless” in the NFL.

I don’t care that he was once a Jet.  He will never be anything more than a mercenary.  A lonely mercenary who is bitter that just about every single player you could think of is more revered than him by the fanbase, so he lashes out at them for absolutely no reason whatsoever.  He did the same thing to Klecko last summer.

Honestly, I'm fine with him being a mercenary who treated the sport like a business.  It was his career and he had every right to treat it like a business (certainly the teams who employed him did). 

My issue with him is his attitude.  It would be one thing if he called out owners.  But to call out former teammates like that?  Not cool at all!  And did he have to tweak Joe Klecko during the HOF induction?  He couldn't just be cool with former Jet greats?  It's so disappointing.  I want to like the guy (he was an incredible player for a few years and he helped lead us to those 2 great AFC CG runs) but he always makes it difficult.  Way more difficult than it should be.  He could easily just bask in glory but seems to choose not to.

https://nypost.com/2023/06/28/darrelle-revis-explains-his-beef-with-jets-legend-joe-klecko/

• Upvote 1

And Revis’s elite status was not anything beyond Deions, Rod Woodson (both of whom played specials) and Charles Woodson (who won DPOY in 09 over Revis). Rod Woodson was an insanely talented football player. 

12 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Honestly, I'm fine with him being a mercenary who treated the sport like a business.  It was his career and he had every right to treat it like a business (certainly the teams who employed him did). 

My issue with him is his attitude.  It would be one thing if he called out owners or something like that.  But to call out former teammates like that?  Not cool at all!  And did he have to tweak Joe Klecko during the HOF induction?  He couldn't just be cool with former Jet greats?  

https://nypost.com/2023/06/28/darrelle-revis-explains-his-beef-with-jets-legend-joe-klecko/

He treated his teammates like a business too, which is why he’s on an island now tweeting jibberish.

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

My issue with him is his attitude.  It would be one thing if he called out owners or something like that.  But to call out former teammates like that?  Not cool at all!  And did he have to tweak Joe Klecko during the HOF induction?  He couldn't just be cool with former Jet greats?  

As am I.  My qualms with Revis are:

A.) His attitude and treatment of former Jets greats and teammates.

B.) Expanding on the above, the random attacks on those who fit under those categories very clearly comes from jealousy/envy.  Last year he could not STAND that Klecko was the one being celebrated more than him, nor did he appreciate a ton of fans saying that Joe was the best defensive player in Jets history.  This year Cro lands a job with the team and NOW Revis decides to come out of left field with an attack?  It’s not hard to figure out why.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

On 7/7/2024 at 6:30 PM, Mogglez said:

We’ve had this discussion before.  This is Revis’ resumé:

YEAR | GRADE

2008 - Very good.

2009 - Elite.

2010 - Elite.

2011 - Elite.

2012 - Injured.

2013 - Mediocre at best, bad at worst.

2014 - Slightly better than 2013.  Firmly mediocre season.  Got carried to a ring (mostly due to Seattle’s stupidity) though.

2015 - Very good year.  Not great, but best year since 2011.

2016 - Awful.

2017 - Beyond washed.

If this player was not a Jet for any point in his career, would you put him in the Hall of Fame?  Better yet, do you think that this resumé is that of a first ballot Hall Of Famer?

Revis is similar to Terrell Davis to me. both guys basically had a 3 year stretch where they were among the very best to ever do it at their respective positions. Truly elite, all time great performances over those 3 year stretches.

Normally, I’d say you need at least 5 (and ideally, closer to 10) ELITE/all-pro seasons to be in serious contention for the HOF, but I make an exception when a guy was legitimately as dominant in his prime as anybody who has ever played his position. 

Revis, like Terrell Davis, is a no brainer HOFer, IMO

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

As am I.  My qualms with Revis are:

A.) His attitude and treatment of former Jets greats and teammates.

B.) Expanding on the above, the random attacks on those who fit under those categories very clearly comes from jealousy/envy.  Last year he could not STAND that Klecko was the one being celebrated more than him, nor did he appreciate a ton of fans saying that Joe was the best defensive player in Jets history.  This year Cro lands a job with the team and NOW Revis decides to come out of left field with an attack?  It’s not hard to figure out why.

Yea, he’s a giant prick. 

It’s sad 

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Rodgers has individual seasons on par with Mahomes 

Not when you take away his only WR, then do it again the next year, then have him play with some lousy tackles, and still win a ring anyway.

I don’t think Mahomes’ passing stats are what makes him the best. But regardless, you’re arguably talking about two of the 5 best ever, if even as low as 5th best, and merely looking at one season as elite that year isn’t to say others’ on-paper elite stat seasons made them as great. 

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

And Revis’s elite status was not anything beyond Deions, Rod Woodson (both of whom played specials) and Charles Woodson (who won DPOY in 09 over Revis). Rod Woodson was an insanely talented football player. 

Charles Woodson winning that in 09 over Revis was ridiculous.

Rodgers also won an MVP while placing 3rd in OPOY voting, and then won another the next year while finishing 4th in OPOY voting. BFD.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

That’s all well and good - I won’t take those 3 years away from him.  After those 3 years he showed that he was more than mortal.  If he played like the Revis we got in 2015, from 2012 until his retirement, I’d have no arguments.  The truth is that he had an extreme peak, fell off a cliff after tearing his ACL, and I don’t think that the peak makes him a first ballot HoF player.

It’s the level of the 3 years that made him so special, not the number of elite years.

Martin was a lock HOFer and he was probably never a top 5 most deadly/feared RB any year of his career. Like Don Sutton in baseball.

It’s not a cut & dry thing; these assessments are all subjective so there’s no right & wrong like arithmetic. Personally I think even if it’s shorter lived the best (or just about the best, if splitting hairs) ever is more awe-worthy than someone who was good to very good for far longer. Both achievements are impressive and difficult, but I think it’s more special when the best of the best the league has to offer is thrown at a player and he’s still not stoppable/beatable. 

On 7/7/2024 at 9:33 PM, slats said:

I’m actually in the middle of a two month long vacation on the Iberian Peninsula. Dipped into Morocco, and will hit Bordeaux before flying back home out of London. I also tag or quote anyone here I decide talk about, unlike you who seems be too afraid to do so (and then whines when he’s talked about - boo hoo!). But again, I wasn’t afraid of vagina in my teens, either. 

Have a nice day. 

Hey I’m here too. Small world. In Malaga now. Going to Tangiers tomorrow.

Having a blast.   Hope you are too!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

Nice! We did the same, took the ferry from Tarifa which is a cool little town in its own right. In three days in Tangier, my phone registered over 150 flights climbed, lol. Keep having fun! 

On 7/7/2024 at 9:52 AM, The Crusher said:

Revis is 100% type to start an argument over being called great. He knows as good as he was he could have been better, but Uncle Shawn taught him money > football. That’s fine and true but Revis never gave 100% after his first few seasons. His  choice, now he’s obviously dealing with it, can’t stand  hear his name mention with slightest amount of doubt, because he knows better than anyone he mailed  it in later in His career. 

I detest Revis.... MEvis.  

• Upvote 2

On 7/7/2024 at 3:33 PM, slats said:

I’m actually in the middle of a two month long vacation on the Iberian Peninsula. Dipped into Morocco, and will hit Bordeaux before flying back home out of London. I also tag or quote anyone here I decide talk about, unlike you who seems be too afraid to do so (and then whines when he’s talked about - boo hoo!). But again, I wasn’t afraid of vagina in my teens, either. 

Have a nice day. 

2 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

Damn you guys... Way to depress me. :)  I've been to Spain a few times, going to San Sebastian, Northern area in October.  SLATS!!!  2 friggin months?  Good for you!!!  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Damn you guys... Way to depress me. :)  I've been to Spain a few times, going to San Sebastian, Northern area in October.  SLATS!!!  2 friggin months?  Good for you!!!  

We’re headed to Bilbao tonight, with a few nights in San Sebastián, too. Looking forward to the Guggenheim and the food. 

10 hours ago, Mogglez said:

2013 - correct.

2014 - correct.

Revis was for a 5-6 year stretch, arguably the best at his position.  Other players knew it, and most importantly, it caused other coaches to have to change game plans to avoid him. He closed down half of a field in pass protection.  He fit in multiple schemes and made other players better around him by doing that.

In this NFL, 5-6 year periods are enough to be called a "career" which is HOF worthy. 

What he has become personally, has no bearing on me. If some of us had grown up in the area and with the  people that surrounded him, we may become slightly "off" in our view of the world too. That is not an excuse, but his later life personality should not reflect negatively upon his achievements. I am neither looking to be his friend, or have him sit down and watch a Jets game with me.

He was a marvel in his prime. Period.

Revis was one of those guys that was purely motivated by money. With all those short term deals, he had to keep it going until he finally got the big deal he was looking for. As soon as the jets gave him that big deal, the decline happened rapidly. Will give it to him though, when he retired he had made more money than any other non qb in nfl history if my memory is correct.

8 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Revis was one of those guys that was purely motivated by money. With all those short term deals, he had to keep it going until he finally got the big deal he was looking for. As soon as the jets gave him that big deal, the decline happened rapidly. Will give it to him though, when he retired he had made more money than any other non qb in nfl history if my memory is correct.

1. How many players are not motivated by money?

2. Revis bet on himself and gave up some guaranteed money and years, and that worked out for him. Not many players are willing to do that.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Charles Woodson winning that in 09 over Revis was ridiculous.

Rodgers also won an MVP while placing 3rd in OPOY voting, and then won another the next year while finishing 4th in OPOY voting. BFD.

Revis didn’t even come close to winning it. Woodson was a Swiss Army knife defender who caused turnovers and you could put anywhere on the field. Woodson overall was a better football player than Revis. 

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Revis didn’t even come close to winning it. Woodson was a Swiss Army knife defender who caused turnovers and you could put anywhere on the field. Woodson overall was a better football player than Revis. 

‘09 was treated as sort of a “lifetime achievement” DPOY for Woodson.  Better overall career than Revis?  Absolutely.  Better ‘09 season?  No.  Woodson winning the award comfortably doesn’t change that.  Revis was better in ‘09.  He just hadn’t earned the long-term credibility that Woodson had so Woodson got the award that season.  

Sometimes voters make incorrect choices with these awards.  It happens.  Barkley won the MVP in ‘93 over Jordan.  It was wrong then and wrong now.

Revis is still an unlikable a$$hole though, that’s for sure.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

‘09 was treated as sort of a “lifetime achievement” DPOY for Woodson.  Better overall career than Revis?  Absolutely.  Better ‘09 season?  No.  Woodson winning the award comfortably doesn’t change that.  Revis was better in ‘09.  He just hadn’t earned the long-term credibility that Woodson had so Woodson got the award that season.  

Sometimes voters make incorrect choices with these awards.  It happens.  Barkley won the MVP in ‘93 over Jordan.  It was wrong then and wrong now.

Revis is still an unlikable a$$hole though, that’s for sure.

I thought Revis deserved it that year too. But if Revis went on to put the work in like Woodson did, he probably would have earned that too eventually. In terms of careers, they aren’t even that close. Charles Woodson was still a good player at like 40. Revis was completely done once he hit 31.

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Revis was for a 5-6 year stretch, arguably the best at his position.  Other players knew it, and most importantly, it caused other coaches to have to change game plans to avoid him. He closed down half of a field in pass protection.  He fit in multiple schemes and made other players better around him by doing that.

In this NFL, 5-6 year periods are enough to be called a "career" which is HOF worthy. 

What he has become personally, has no bearing on me. If some of us had grown up in the area and with the  people that surrounded him, we may become slightly "off" in our view of the world too. That is not an excuse, but his later life personality should not reflect negatively upon his achievements. I am neither looking to be his friend, or have him sit down and watch a Jets game with me.

He was a marvel in his prime. Period.

The Bucs released him after one season, in his prime.

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I thought Revis deserved it that year too. But if Revis went on to put the work in like Woodson did, he probably would have earned that too eventually. In terms of careers, they aren’t even that close. Charles Woodson was still a good player at like 40. Revis was completely done once he hit 31.

Revis, Woodson, Champ Bailey, Darell Green, Deion Sanders (I am sure I am forgetting some here) are ALL great players. They all played differently and had different attributes. It is no crime to call ALL of them great. 

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Are you really arguing that Revis does NOT deserve to be in the HOF? Is that the hill you are standing upon?

I think he deserves it. He’s not in the conversation for goat DB though. He mailed in half of his career and stunk as a Jet the second go around because he was out of shape.

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I think he deserves it. He’s not in the conversation for goat DB though. He mailed in half of his career and stunk as a Jet the second go around because he was out of shape.

I won't argue any of that. GOAT? Certainly not. As you mention, he degraded in ability (the ACL seemed to really affect him) and his conditioning betrayed him.

But at his peak, for an era (and 5-6 years in the NFL can be considered an era), he was a top force that changed the game.

What irks many fans I realize, is that he maximized his worth financially, and he paved the way for the new era of contract negotiation and player control. Someone had to do it, because these owners by and large are a group that do not give a damn about player safety or after football life.

Just not sure that attempting to diminish a player whose name is synonymous with “all time elite CB” because he didn’t pass your weird Jets Loyalty Test makes much sense. You hear corners being drafted today saying they want to be Revis, not Deion. And if Deion was a Jet, every single one of you would be in therapy trying to process your deep foundational loathing for him as a person and a player.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I won't argue any of that. GOAT? Certainly not. As you mention, he degraded in ability (the ACL seemed to really affect him) and his conditioning betrayed him.

But at his peak, for an era (and 5-6 years in the NFL can be considered an era), he was a top force that changed the game.

What irks many fans I realize, is that he maximized his worth financially, and he paved the way for the new era of contract negotiation and player control. Someone had to do it, because these owners by and large are a group that do not give a damn about player safety or after football life.

the money stuff doesn’t bother me at all. He used the system in his favor because he had leverage (and Woody being Woody). But he mailed it in the second go around. The other greats all had way longer careers and all got paid too. Now he just seems bitter and angry about it all, which is his right. But going after Klecko for no reason was bizarre. It’s rare that a HOF has no connection to a team or former teammates.