Countdown to Kickoff

58 minutes ago, Lith said:

Not many options for day 9, so I decided to go with the only player ever to play for the Jets who graduated from my High School.  I am also pretty sure he is the only NFL player who was also bar mitzvah'd by my Rabbi.  Day 9.  Oceanside High School graduate.  Jay Fiedler.

Countdown to 2013 NFL Kickoff | Page 26 | TheGangGreen.com - New York Jets  Message Board

Vince Vaughn Reaction GIF by filmeditor

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

John Hall had a pretty good run for us for a while but the way he wore his helmet was annoying.

His last second kick to beat the Raiders and get us into the playoffs in 2001 was one of those highlight moments I still remember. Unfortunately, then they lost to the Raiders in the wild card round the next week.

If Little Eddie Bell is wrong, then I don’t want to be right.
Eddie Bell was a fine Jet ... Almost 1800 over 6 or 7 years ... But can you explain selecting him over the Statue ? Some of those Marino showdowns were insane. Just relieved the radio host didn't make it.
cea81f9c8b70672b7584de5994e22b64.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

Eddie Bell was a fine Jet ... Almost 1800 over 6 or 7 years ... But can you explain selecting him over the Statue ? Some of those Marino showdowns were insane. Just relieved the radio host didn't make it.
cea81f9c8b70672b7584de5994e22b64.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I am not picking the best player. Just picking who I want to pick. As a kid, I went to a game in 72 or 73 where the Jets beat the Colts on a 4th quarter, 80+ yard TD reception by Bell. He instantly became one of my favorite Jets. When you are 11 years old and you have a favorite player, that sticks with you. Even 50+ years later.

Besides, I assumed someone else would post Kenny O.
  • Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

There may be another guy who played longer, and had some nice seasons as a QB, but to me #7 will always be Eddie Bell.  Just one more week to go.  Day 7.

I realize that this is out of left field, but I was supposed to play a tennis match with Eddie Bell.  He parked in the same parking lot as my dad in NYC,  and the guys that ran the parking garage set up the match.  Unfortunately, Eddie Bell chickened out, and we never ended up playing.  I was #1 singles on my high school tennis team, and at the time, Eddie Bell was around 30 years old.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Had to go with Mark Sanchez today.  May not have been consistent enough to be a good QB, but he had some pretty big moments for us and had a knack for making plays with games on the line. 

Day 6.  Mark Sanchez.

Last Word Goes to Jets in Victory Over Patriots - The New York Times

• Upvote 1

Decided to go with Braylon Edwards 12 days ago because I knew Garrett's number would come up again.  Only issue is that there are no game photos of him wearing number 5, so this one from joint practice with the Commanders will have to do.

Day 5.  Garrett Wilson.

Jets' Garrett Wilson may have just put Commanders' former first rounder  Emmanuel Forbes on the trade block

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Lith said:

Decided to go with Braylon Edwards 12 days ago because I knew Garrett's number would come up again.  Only issue is that there are no game photos of him wearing number 5, so this one from joint practice with the Commanders will have to do.

Day 5.  Garrett Wilson.

Jets' Garrett Wilson may have just put Commanders' former first rounder  Emmanuel Forbes on the trade block

Prepare to take the heat from the Mike White Mafia! 

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, slats said:

Prepare to take the heat from the Mike White Mafia! 

Let them bring it on.  Even if Garrett had not changed numbers this year - it still would not have been White.

Former New York Jets star Pat Leahy still getting kick out of life – New  York Daily News

Although he definitely would have gotten the nod ahead of Brooks Bollinger or Matt Simms.  

• Upvote 4

Ugh.  Day 3.  Not an easy day.  Comes down to a Safety who played the last two seasons with the Jets, a kicker who kicked for us for 2 seasons in the 2000s, or an early 70s kicker who kicked for 4 seasons.  As an old guy, I am going to go with the guy from the 70s who also happened to be a two sport star, having played soccer in England before coming to the States as an NFL kicker.  Day 3.  Bobby Howfield.

Bobby Howfield

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Lith said:

Ugh.  Day 3.  Not an easy day.  Comes down to a Safety who played the last two seasons with the Jets, a kicker who kicked for us for 2 seasons in the 2000s, or an early 70s kicker who kicked for 4 seasons.  As an old guy, I am going to go with the guy from the 70s who also happened to be a two sport star, having played soccer in England before coming to the States as an NFL kicker.  Day 3.  Bobby Howfield.

Bobby Howfield

Good choice, but if all else failed I think you would have gotten a pass with Buddy Harrelson.😁

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Be_a_Jet said:

Excited to see Zach Wilson tomorrow 

If we see Zach today, it won't be because of me.  Day 2.  The only current NFL player to have played in a playoff game as a Jet.  Nick Folk. 

Folk's 32-Yard Field Goal Sends Jets Past Colts<!-- --> - WSJ

• Upvote 3