Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade

24 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

These were Reddicks own words, immediately after the trade:

“Contractual stuff, I’m leaving that up to my agent and Joe to figure out,” Reddick said. “Whatever happens, I’m gonna be happy. I’m gonna give my all no matter what, that’s just who I am as a person. No matter how it goes, how many years, I’m gonna be here for however long I’m here for and I’m going to give the team, the fans everything that I have.”

words literally mean nothing only contracts matter

how many statements do you want me to post that joe made about a player and then did the opposite with him

Joe so far has dropped the ball on this bigly-now if he gets the player signed and in camp then he did his job

23 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

If that is your standard, then Joe did his job because the guy is on a bargain contract.

if joe did his job the player would be at camp 

• Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, kmnj said:

And there you have it. Thank you. The gist of every team's stance in a contract stand-off. And the leverage (to some degree) is on their side. 

Players play. When they don't, largely their value depreciates. 

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

As of this writing and this date, I do not see how the Jets are materially harmed on any chances for success in the 2024 season. It is a contact dispute. Happens at times. The player is flexing his muscle, and the Jets are flexing their muscle. Each have leverage, which they are exercising.

Actually, the jets have greater leverage If (again if) they play it right. Let me know in 3 weeks if this is still going on. I will then start to sweat about this seasons chances. 

You have, on the other side of this stated some preposterous notions about Reddick from the beginning:

-That Reddick and the Jets "never talked" prior to the trade. Patently false, as the Eagles gave permission for Reddick to seek a trade partner.

-That the Jets never looked at Reddicks contract. Which may be on the top 10 dumb statements I have heard on this board. There are procedures and protocol to every player trade, which include swapping of contracts and language that must be approved. It is a standard procedure.  

Frankly, you used to have some great takes on this board. But lately, it makes wonder if worms have infested your head. And I say that in as nice a way as I can with deep respect.

You seem to be taking this very personally, which is weird, but ok. 

Joe Douglas has been very bad. He’s 30 games under .500 as Jets GM. That’s his record. Worms or no worms I can count. If it weren’t for Matt Millen hed be gunning for worst GM in league history. He has yet to comment on this trade publicly. He rarely comments publicly. He deserves no benefit of the doubt and it’s not out of the realm he didn’t do any due diligence prior to this deal. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 5
  • Haha 1

Just now, mfmartin said:

TO’s issue was he thought he was a FA and wanted to be able to negotiate with everyone. 49ers thought they still had his rights. So this is not even close to the same situation

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Of course it isn’t. Maybe he has brain worms. 

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

Joe Douglas has been very bad. He’s 30 games under .500 as Jets GM. That’s his record. Worms or no worms I can count. If it weren’t for Matt Millen hed be gunning for worst GM in league history. He has yet to comment on this trade publicly. He rarely comments publicly. He deserves no benefit of the doubt and it’s not out of the realm he didn’t do any due diligence prior to this deal. 

I will give you a Warfish reply here- "If you say so".

• Haha 1

This is what it's like to have star players - I know it's been a while. This will happen from time to time and is happening all over the league. I don't see a problem coming out of this unless he misses all of training camp and carries his holdout into the year, which feels like it has no chance of happening given the fines

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

If he plays and helps them, it wasn’t a “dumb trade”.

If you want to be a Joe Douglas hater, I’d concentrate on the Zac Wilson selection.

I'm not a Joe Douglas hater.  Just think he makes some dumb move.  

Trading a 3rd round pick for a one year rental of a 30 year old speed rusher isn't a smart move.

Especially when you have an elite much younger version already on your roster that you could have locked up longer term.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

I’m sure your friend Joe will land on his feet. 

I have no friends. Most will tell you that. I watch the Jets because I enjoy football and being tortured. 

I participate on this board because they are some great people here. I am sorry this team has damaged you so much to spew conspiracy theories that do not stand the test of logic or a basis of truth. 

I wish Matt39 the best in his future endeavors and posts.

23 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

They could have just kept Huff, like everyone else on the planet recommended

Let's keep beating this dead horse, but Huff got more guaranteed than we have and he did not want to sign here.  We have a better player under contract for less money for the equivalent of a 5th.  The rights to Haason Reddick or Bryce Hall, Isaiah Davis, Israel Abanikanda - which is more likely to make an impact for the Jets?  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

36 minutes ago, kmnj said:

how many statements do you want me to post that joe made about a player and then did the opposite with him

Joe so far has dropped the ball on this bigly-now if he gets the player signed and in camp then he did his job

So, a guy says he is going to do something, you trust that to be true (which is EXACTLY how it ought to be), and he reneges on his word, and Joe has 'dropped the ball.' 

image.jpeg.d03d0e92b417d0a66df5be159818d829.jpeg

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm not a Joe Douglas hater.  Just think he makes some dumb move.  

Trading a 3rd round pick for a one year rental of a 30 year old speed rusher isn't a smart move.

Especially when you have an elite much younger version already on your roster that you could have locked up longer term.

And I would add the Huff would have been such a great accolade for JD and Saleh in recruiting players. Undrafted, developed by the Jets into one of the top young premier edge rushers in the NFL. One of Saleh's mantras is developing young players where they can get paid. He did this and the Jets let Huff walk. What message does this send to our upcoming free agents who we want to retain like Breece, Garrett, JJ, and Sauce? 

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

What it does is help apply public pressure from fans (at least fans that are not deranged with conspiracy theories). PR 101. 

The agent plays the bad guy and denies it. Applies pressure. 

If JD is reacting to public pressure as oppossed to what's in the best interest of the team he should resign or be fired.  It's noise and irrelevant.  

Team wins and makes the playoffs JD is fine.  The team falls to make the playoffs and underperforms JD is toast.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Let's keep beating this dead horse, but Huff got more guaranteed than we have and he did not want to sign here.  We have a better player under contract for less money for the equivalent of a 5th.  The rights to Haason Reddick or Bryce Hall, Isaiah Davis, Israel Abanikanda - which is more likely to make an impact for the Jets?  

I applaud your effort, but we are at the stage in the game where it's like spitting into the wind.

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

sure thing. lol.  

>>>>>>>it’s not out of the realm he didn’t do any due diligence prior to this deal. 

• Haha 1

Somewhere around mid-season it will be much clearer about whether really trying to keep Huff vs. letting him go and trading for Reddick was a good/bad/awful decision by Douglas.  On the surface, to me right now, it seems like keeping Huff would have been better.  The Jets were fairly clear that they only view him as a rusher (albeit a really, really good one) who wasn't as effective on early downs and running situations.  What's weird is he is bigger than Reddick but you can't argue with Reddick's consistent production in both sacks and tackles the past 4 seasons.

The interesting part of this debate will be to see how the Eagles use Huff and if he can turn into a younger Reddick or if he stays a situational rusher.  As I said, we should have an idea about this a few weeks into the season.  Ultimately, if Reddick is playing and producing similarly to his numbers in PHI, I will honestly not care about the 'swap' at all and wish Huff the best in PHI. 

It's fair to be critical of the way the dispute turned out, but operating under the likely assumption that Reddick will be playing when the real games start, it's just a lot of hot air and this time of year, we really have enough of that already.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

And I would add the Huff would have been such a great accolade for JD and Saleh in recruiting players. Undrafted, developed by the Jets into one of the top young premier edge rushers in the NFL. One of Saleh's mantras is developing young players where they can get paid. He did this and the Jets let Huff walk. What message does this send to our upcoming free agents who we want to retain like Breece, Garrett, JJ, and Sauce? 

he didn't want to be a part time player.  

maybe he will talk during the eagles camp and say that again.  perhaps folks here will hear it.  

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Completely disagree with you.

Huff had no desire to stay with the Jets, which was quite apparent in every response he gave when asked by a reporter about signing a new deal with the team.

Huff never once said, that he wanted to remain a Jet and he never gave any positive feedback about the organization, ever.

All the responses he gave "I don't give hometown discounts" "We'll see what happens" blah ,blah blah...always came off as negative & stand-off'ish.

I don't think there is anything the Jets could have done to keep him, the player has to want to be here.

It was very clear, Huff didn't.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Completely agree.

There is no question in my mind, that Huff wasn't going to resign here

Every time I read an article where Huff was asked about signing a new contract, or extension with the Jets, (and there were a few of them I can recall) Huff never once said, that he wanted to remain a Jet and he never gave any positive feedback about the organization, ever.

All the responses he gave "I don't give hometown discounts" "We'll see what happens" blah ,blah blah...always came off as negative & stand-off'ish.

It always felt as if Huff had no desire to stay with the Jets.

I don't think there is anything the Jets could have done to keep him, the player has to want to be here.

Huff didn't.

i don't think he was negative.  he was just clear with what he wanted.   if they were going to play him full time and pay him, of course he would stay - and probably give a small hometown discount.

4 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

i don't think he was negative.  he was just clear with what he wanted.   if they were going to play him full time and pay him, of course he would stay - and probably give a small hometown discount.

Huff never said anything to that effect.

And he was quoted as saying that "there will not be any hometown discounts".

Bryce made it clear to the team, and to the media, that he was going to take the best contract offered to him when he hit free agency and there would be no “hometown discounts” given to anyone (as he should). Still, Joe held on to Huff for the rest of the 2023 season. His thinking was clear, if Huff leaves in free agency, at worst Joe will get a high compensatory pick.

New York Jets’ botched decision on former star Bryce Huff will come back to bite their future draft plans (atozsports.com)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, batman10023 said:

he didn't want to be a part time player.  

maybe he will talk during the eagles camp and say that again.  perhaps folks here will hear it.  

I'm reading a few posts that are claiming the same. Was putting the blame soley on JD, but maybe Huff expressed he was never going to resign and the Jets saw things they didnt like

10 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

That they will be paid by either the Jets or some other NFL team that the Jets share revenue with. 

3 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Completely disagree with you.

Huff had no desire to stay with the Jets, which was quire apparent in every response he gave when asked bya reporter about signing a new deal with the team.

Huff never once said, that he wanted to remain a Jet and he never gave any positive feedback about the organization, ever.

I don't think there is anything the Jets could have done to keep him, the player has to want to be here.

It was very clear, Huff didn't.

Well this changes my perspective. Great post ARod

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

I'm reading a few posts that are claiming the same. Was putting the blame soley on JD, but maybe Huff expressed he was never going to resign and the Jets saw things they didnt like

not exactly true - the Jets didn't see anything they didn't like.   He just wanted a full time job.  can't blame the guy.

Saleh always said wants the players to get paid, either here or somewhere else.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

sure thing. lol.  

>>>>>>>it’s not out of the realm he didn’t do any due diligence prior to this deal. 

Douglas is free to explain the move. He has yet to do so.

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

• slats changed the title to Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade