August 6th camp tweets

9 hours ago, Trotter said:

Does anyone know what happens to the fines if he simply says I am not showing up?

continue to accrue?

go away because he is not on an active roster (don’t think so but have no idea)

Based on what I've read. the Jets fines would go away, but the CBA mandated fines (at least $300k, maybe more) would still have to be paid regardless.

I have a question about the Reddick situation ... If he doesn't show up at all this year... He forfeits the year right ? And the Jets retain rights to him next year right ?

I don't know what he thinks he is accomplishing ... The D is fine without him ... Better with him.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Claymation said:

That's fair. But if this team has a winning record because of the strength of the roster and not the coaching, I can easily see JD surviving with Saleh being removed.

I do believe this is a playoff team in spite of the coaching.

I mostly agree with you, but several things have me thinking that maybe JD shouldn't stay.  His drafting and handling of Zach, including hiring Saleh and allowing him to make MLF his OC and hiring a rookie QB Coach.  His glaring failures on the OL, including taking Becton instead of Wirfs, his sports performance group being a dismal failure, the Reddick mess, and failing to draft or add an IOL in FA (Latham doesn't count).

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

The benefit of firing jd and saleh would be that is would be a very desireable team to coach and gm  

still really would just need a qb  

Yes, it would be a desirable job, but the QB issue is a biggie if Rodgers retires after this season.  The downside of firing JD and Saleh is that Woody would be hiring their replacements, and they could be much worse.

• Post of the Week 1

Yes, it would be a desirable job, but the QB issue is a biggie if Rodgers retires after this season.  The downside of firing JD and Saleh is that Woody would be hiring their replacements, and they could be much worse.
Jets must draft a QB early next year regardless and probably the year after that.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Isn't this one of those good news/bad news deals?  Our 2nd team TE is Ruckert.  If Sherwood is blanketing him, maybe Ruckert isn't the star in the making I've been promised.  Is Conklin really that big a step up?  If Sherwood were locking up Conklin should we be super impressed?

I hear you but the comment is probably based on more than just how Sherwood is covering Ruckert 

8 hours ago, Dunnie said:

I have a question about the Reddick situation ... If he doesn't show up at all this year... He forfeits the year right ? And the Jets retain rights to him next year right ?

I don't know what he thinks he is accomplishing ... The D is fine without him ... Better with him.

He'll show up before getting to the point where he loses an opportunity to be a free agent next year.   Last time I looked I believe players had to be on the roster for at least six games.

• Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, JKlecko said:

I mostly agree with you, but several things have me thinking that maybe JD shouldn't stay.  His drafting and handling of Zach, including hiring Saleh and allowing him to make MLF his OC and hiring a rookie QB Coach.  His glaring failures on the OL, including taking Becton instead of Wirfs, his sports performance group being a dismal failure, the Reddick mess, and failing to draft or add an IOL in FA (Latham doesn't count).

Well, he is not infallible, Zach, #2 QB last year and Becton are big misses. Finding Huff, MCII, DJ Reed, the other QW, moving on from Zach after 2 seasons, eventually solving the kicking game, a top 5 OL this year, a top 5 defense etc. JD made mistakes, but he moved on from them instead of doubling down on them.

The good outweighs the bad by quite a bit. This is a top 5 roster, heaven help the NFL if Rodgers regains his form from a couple of years ago.

12 hours ago, batman10023 said:

The benefit of firing jd and saleh would be that is would be a very desireable team to coach and gm  

still really would just need a qb  

How would it be desirable? 

Not having a QB does not make this franchise desirable.

18 hours ago, FootballLove said:

I was thinking the opposite. He'll still have to pay full taxes on that $900,000. Fines for illegal activity are not tax deductible! So his real 'fine' is $900.000 plus $400,000 income tax! 

So I asked google if an NFL player pays income tax on the amount of his fine. Answer is no, since the fine amount is 'donated to charity' instead of being given to the player.

Sounds like another Billionaire SCAM!

7 minutes ago, Claymation said:

This franchise when JD took over was in a bad place. In 5 years, he transformed this roster to a top 5 roster.

Why anyone would want to move on from JD is beyond me.

100%. And his one big black eye is Zack Wilson (vs trading the pick and staying with Sam, or drafting a different QB a bit latter).

But, I really believe that call was 100000% on Woody. Good looking white kid from a wealthy fam. GREAT 'face of the franchise', if it pans out. Not much else to say.

When Woody thru Douglas under the bus last year for 'not having a bu QB', Joe had enough and shipped the kid outta here!

But ya, JD has done wonders for our entire roster.

This is Joe's final year of his 6 yr contract. I expect Woody to re-up him soon. Saleh on the other hand....

21 hours ago, Gibby said:

Don’t be shocked if at the end of the day Reddick’s  Jet career goes down as about impactful as  Anthony Barr’s did.

Anthony Davis!

20 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I would not be surprised, if Reddick never puts on a Jets uniform.

Reggie Rembert!

2 hours ago, Claymation said:

How would it be desirable? 

Not having a QB does not make this franchise desirable.

how many teams that have fired their coaches have a QB?

it's generally a given the qb is the problem.  

Dallas would be an exception i think.  they would be a great team to be a new coach for

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

how many teams that have fired their coaches have a QB?

it's generally a given the qb is the problem.  

Dallas would be an exception i think.  they would be a great team to be a new coach for

As I stated it is not a desirable franchise.

This franchise when JD took over was in a bad place. In 5 years, he transformed this roster to a top 5 roster.

JD inherited his best defensive player and his offensive draft picks and acquisitions have basically been wall to wall whiffs except for GW and Breece Hall

Even Aaron is a whiff until he actually plays in a game

A top five roster with no playoff appearance to show for it.

53 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

JD inherited his best defensive player and his offensive draft picks and acquisitions have basically been wall to wall whiffs except for GW and Breece Hall

Even Aaron is a whiff until he actually plays in a game

Do you think this team is a top 5 team roster wise? It's a simple yes or no question.

9 hours ago, Claymation said:

Initially, I scoffed at the idea of firing JD.  I saw posters doing it as early as his 1st or 2nd year on the job.  While I think his drafting and handling of Zach, and hiring of Saleh and MLF as OC, along with a rookie QB Coach was stupid and a fireable offense, I did think he had done enough good in other ways with trades, handling the cap, having the scouts change the way they evaluated prospects and his handling of the draft, plus an all-time great draft a few years ago, was enough for him to keep his job.  However, he still makes really dumb, puzzling moves.  Not upgrading the IOL beyond Simpson this year is one such move imo.   Not making fixing the OL his #1 priority the last 2-3 years was a huge mistake.  Going to TC last year with Brown, Becton, Warren, Mitchell and Turner as his OTs was a huge mistake.  His many failures in FA and the draft are also good reasons.  Yes, he has build a very good roster, but it has taken him 5-6 years to do so.  Granted, when he was hired the cap was not in good shape, and the Jets had quite possibly the worst talent and roster in the NFL.

I just no longer see him as someone who is definitely going to keep us competitive and get us to the SB.  While his job is to acquire the players, and then it's up to the players themselves and the CS to develop the players and play at a high level, the Jets haven't come close to making the playoffs, and I don't think they have had a winning record yet in any season.  He's just too inconsistent.  He focuses too much on BPA in the draft and not enough on need.

I'm not saying that he should be fired if they don't make the playoffs, but I wouldn't give him a very long extension.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Claymation said:

He drafted Becton and Zach and hired Saleh.  

29 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

Initially, I scoffed at the idea of firing JD.  I saw posters doing it as early as his 1st or 2nd year on the job.  While I think his drafting and handling of Zach, and hiring of Saleh and MLF as OC, along with a rookie QB Coach was stupid and a fireable offense, I thought he had done enough good in other ways with trades, handling the cap, having the scouts change the way they evaluated prospects and his handling of the draft, plus an all-time great draft a few years ago, he still makes really dumb, puzzling moves.  Not upgrading the IOL beyond Simpson this year is one such move.   Not making it fixing the OL his #1 priority the last 2-3 years was a huge mistake.  Going to TC last year with Brown, Becton, Warren, Mitchell and Turner as his OTs was a huge mistake.  His many failures in FA and the draft are also good reasons.  Yes, he has build a very good roster, but it has taken him 5-6 years to do so.  Granted, when he was hired the cap was not in good shape, and the Jets had quite possibly the worst talent and roster in the NFL.

I just no longer see him as someone who is definitely going to keep us competitive and get us to the SB.  While his job is to acquire the players, and then it's up to the players themselves and the CS to develop the players and play at a high level, the Jets haven't come close to making the playoffs, and I don't think have had a winning record yet in any season.  He's just too inconsistent.  He focuses too much on BPA and not enough on need.

I'm not saying that he should be fired if they don't make the playoffs, but I wouldn't give him a very long extension.

The Jets like Schweitzer, so they are 7 deep on the OL. He just got hurt last year. You can make the argument that the OL is the strongest unit on offense. Would you say he has fixed the OL situation?

And while he has had misses on all phases of acquiring talent (Draft/UDFA, Free Agency & Trades), his hits far outweigh his misses.

• Upvote 1

So, no practice today?

Why does it seem like high school teams in the 80s practiced more often and for much longer than NFL teams today?

No wonder they all suck the first month of the season.

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

The Jets like Schweitzer, so they are 7 deep on the OL. He just got hurt last year. You can make the argument that the OL is the strongest unit on offense. Would you say he has fixed the OL situation?

And while he has had misses on all phases of acquiring talent (Draft/UDFA, Free Agency & Trades), his hits far outweigh his misses.

Numberwise, his hits do outweigh his misses, it's just that his misses are colossal misses.

No, I wouldn't say that he has fixed the OL situation at all.  I like Schweitzer, but he isn't as good as he was a few years ago.  For 1-2 games he's fine, but not for much more than that.  For sure, the OL is the best it's been during his time here, and I feel much more confident in it than I have in the past, but I'm not sure that it's even fixed for this season. Perish the thought, but if Moses went down for the season in the season opener, would you feel confident in either Warren or Mitchell at RT for the whole season?  I sure wouldn't. 

If they have injuries like they have the last 2-3 seasons, then no, it isn't fixed.  Smith is already having tightness.  I'm confident that Fashanu will play pretty well when Smith does have to miss, but how well will Simpson play?  Will Tippman continue to have issues with shotgun snaps?  Will AVT stay healthy?  Will Moses stay healthy?  Will they  play well together as a unit?  Even if they play really well this season, Smith most likely will not be back.  Moses probably won't be back either due to all the FAs the Jets will have for next season, including quite a few starters and key backups, and the core players (Breece, Sauce, G. Wilson, JJ, and MC II) needing to be paid.

So assuming that Fashanu and Tippman will be very good, there are still question marks on AVT and Simpson, and RT for next season.  Hopefully, one of Warren and Mitchell will improve and show that they can handle RT going forward, but they will need to draft an IOL or two next season unless one or two of Hanson, Glaser, Newman, Levao,  and/or Latham show they can be quality depth.  Only when we have 5 quality OL who play well together as a unit, and have 5 solid backups will I say that the OL has been fixed.

I understand that a team can't have great depth at every position, but one of the first things JD said upon being hired was that the OL would be a top priority, and it really hasn't been.  As a result, the offense has struggled, and Rodgers went down with injury last season.  He's had some tough luck with injuries with Clarke, who I think could have developed into at least quality depth, if not a solid starter, other injuries, and surprisingly bad play with Tomlinson, but he has also often gone cheap in FA on the OL with guys like Feeney.  I know that he has tried to sign a couple of expensive quality OL before and they didn't want to sign with the Jets.  I can't blame him for that, but I think he could have done more in the draft.  This year's draft was a prime example.  There were quite a few good C/OG prospects in the draft who would have been good fits in the Jets' scheme.  He had opportunities to draft one of them and passed.  He also had opportunities  to draft good OL prospects last year and passed. 

I like AVT, but imo one doesn't draft an OG in the 1st round, much less trade up for him.  Trading up for him and passing on Darrisaw was a mistake.  In trading up for an OG, he burned two 3rd round picks (#66 and #86) that could have been used to address the IOL.  There were good OL prospects available in the range of those picks (Jalen Mayfield, Brady Christensen, Kendrick Green, Robert Hainsey, and Ben Cleveland), or he could have possibly traded up a little in the 3rd round and taken Creed Humphrey.

He's done a great job with the D, but much less so with the offense.