Aaron Rodgers Preseason Play?

Aaron Rodgers Preseason  

80 members have voted

1. 1. SHOULD Aaron Rodgers Play in PS Game 3?

• No, full bubble wrap mode.
    • Yes, but only a drive or 2.
    • Yes, play him into the 3rd quarter as per traditional 3rd PS game.
  2. 2. WILL Aaron Rodgers Play in PS Game 3?

• No, full bubble wrap mode.
    • Yes, but only a drive or 2.
    • Yes, into the 3rd quarter as per traditional 3rd PS game.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/23/2024 at 09:41 PM

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

He’s going to endure plenty of hits and we’re going to have to hope and pray on each one. It’s why I’ve been banging on about not letting him do stupid sprint-out sh*t in camp. His injured leg is physically smaller than the other leg. The Achilles is a two year injury in the best of cases and Rodgers chose to rush back from it last season besides. 

The leg being smaller is normal for an Achilles recovery according to a sports doctor I saw reporting on that. This video doesn't touch on the leg size but the injury recovery in general. I assume all doctors in the field are on the same page with the smaller size being normal.

Basically he says the recovery time is fine, he's good to go. The biggest risk is just his age in general and any type of injury.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, slats said:

This is surprising (and good) to hear. I stand corrected. I still would like him to get in the game on Saturday though. I guess the positive of having a vet backup is they don’t need many practice reps to be ready.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Ok, it doesn't seem like Rodgers has practiced a lot lately. 

I'd love to see some sort of quantitative comparison to other training camps. Words are nice, but numbers are better. 

It doesn’t seem like it because he hasn’t. This was deliberate with more off days but more reps in each practice I gather.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

It doesn’t seem like it because he hasn’t. This was deliberate with more off days but more reps in each practice I gather.

ahhh, yea, that's the rub. They cite reps, not practices. A lot of reps is definitely a good thing. Let's hope it translates. 

Absolutely nothing good can come from Aaron Rodgers playing in the preseason.  Nothing.

Preseason used to be more meaningful when the starters played at least a handful of snaps in each game and even played into the third quarter in the third preseason game.  Those days are long gone at this point.

There is literally nothing to be gained from playing 1 or 2 drives for a player like Rodgers who has been in the league for almost 2 decades and has a Superbowl win under his belt.  Just let him sit and eliminate all risk.  There is no meaningful "chemistry" being built by playing 1 or 2 drives.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

He’s going to endure plenty of hits and we’re going to have to hope and pray on each one. It’s why I’ve been banging on about not letting him do stupid sprint-out sh*t in camp. His injured leg is physically smaller than the other leg. The Achilles is a two year injury in the best of cases and Rodgers chose to rush back from it last season besides. 

No.  And you're upset he rushed back to....practice?  lol  

Vinny T. is the probably the least athletic QB in the history of the league, right up there w/ Brady and Manning and he came back the year after and started every game.  In fact, he attempted a league high 590 passes, which would have good for 4th in the league last year and that was 23 years ago.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Absolutely nothing good can come from Aaron Rodgers playing in the preseason.  Nothing.

Preseason used to be more meaningful when the starters played at least a handful of snaps in each game and even played into the third quarter in the third preseason game.  Those days are long gone at this point.

There is literally nothing to be gained from playing 1 or 2 drives for a player like Rodgers who has been in the league for almost 2 decades and has a Superbowl win under his belt.  Just let him sit and eliminate all risk.  There is no meaningful "chemistry" being built by playing 1 or 2 drives.

with you 1000% and I know Saleh catches alot of sh_t around here and at times deservingly so but putting Rodgers out there would rank amongst his dumbest moves.

Having said that I have this feeling in my gut that Rodgers is going to go 1 series maybe 2 but I hope not.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

This is surprising (and good) to hear. I stand corrected. I still would like him to get in the game on Saturday though. I guess the positive of having a vet backup is they don’t need many practice reps to be ready.

Agree. Good to hear. Still think he should play a bit on Saturday.

49 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

No.  And you're upset he rushed back to....practice?  lol  

Vinny T. is the probably the least athletic QB in the history of the league, right up there w/ Brady and Manning and he came back the year after and started every game.  In fact, he attempted a league high 590 passes, which would have good for 4th in the league last year and that was 23 years ago.

Vinny Testaverde was a statue in the pocket. Rodgers needs to use his legs. Thank you for attending my AMA. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

yes there is.

Rodgers hasnt played in a year. he needs to get real get reps with the starters. the OL has 3 new starters. they all need to play.

Mahomes has played twice, Allen , Tua and Burrows just to name a few. plus plenty of starters have played already. what do they have to gain? HCs who most of you think are 10 times better than Salah are playing there top 5 QBs and starters who might i add are mostly in our conference who we are going to be battling for a playoff spot against.

they might not be playing into the 3rd qt but teams are playing their starters.

i dont like the idea that Rodgers hasnt seen real action in 12 months and the first time he does will be against a really good 49er defense. i think it would be a real good idea to get the kinks out against the Giants backups and 3rd stringers.

15 hours ago, doitny said:

yes there is.

Rodgers hasnt played in a year. he needs to get real get reps with the starters. the OL has 3 new starters. they all need to play.

Mahomes has played twice, Allen , Tua and Burrows just to name a few. plus plenty of starters have played already. what do they have to gain? HCs who most of you think are 10 times better than Salah are playing there top 5 QBs and starters who might i add are mostly in our conference who we are going to be battling for a playoff spot against.

they might not be playing into the 3rd qt but teams are playing their starters.

i dont like the idea that Rodgers hasnt seen real action in 12 months and the first time he does will be against a really good 49er defense. i think it would be a real good idea to get the kinks out against the Giants backups and 3rd stringers.

I understand your viewpoint, but I'll agree to disagree.

I'd rather play it safe with a 40 year old quarterback coming off a ruptured Achilles.  He's not a young buck like the quarterbacks you listed above who are all in their 20's.  It's just not worth the risk to play 1 or 2 drives of "real" preseason snaps.  It's not going to make one bit of difference in terms of the regular season.  It's just not.

Rodgers and the starters have been getting reps together in OTAs, training camp, joint practices with the Redskins and Panthers, and upcoming closed practices prior to the season.  This is where chemistry is being built and timing is being honed in.  A drive or two against the Giants just doesn't move the needle at all in my opinion.

Well, Saleh chimed in today to echo AR’s claim that this has been a very demanding camp. Talked about how “load management” can backfire in sports, and the importance of getting players ready for the “most challenging moments.” So, I am relieved to hear that my concerns may have been misplaced … and as I said earlier in this thread, I am not a professional football player or coach and am just basing my impressions on a camp reports, so realize I need to keep an open mind.

However, I also will say that it’s kind of hard for me to understand how a camp can be THAT intense and demanding when the starters only are on the field 4 times in a 12 day period right during the heart of camp (3 times during that period for the starting QB). Can increased practice “efficiency” really lead to 300 extra reps over last year?

And the conspiracy theorist in me wonders about the timing of Rodgers volunteering all this yesterday, then Saleh taking questions on it today. I mean, I hate to be cynical, but is it possible they sensed the questions were about to start coming about what certainly SEEMED to be a very light practice schedule (for Rodgers particularly, and all the starters in general) and decided to get ahead of the story?

It’s probably legit — AR seemed to be speaking sincerely, Saheh seemed to have really thought about it and be speaking sincerely — and if so, I am relieved. But I am still having a hard time seeing how what they are saying lines up with what we’re all seeing.

21 minutes ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

Well, Saleh chimed in today to echo AR’s claim that this has been a very demanding camp. Talked about how “load management” can backfire in sports, and the importance of getting players ready for the “most challenging moments.” So, I am relieved to hear that my concerns may have been misplaced … and as I said earlier in this thread, I am not a professional football player or coach and am just basing my impressions on a camp reports, so realize I need to keep an open mind.

However, I also will say that it’s kind of hard for me to understand how a camp can be THAT intense and demanding when the starters only are on the field 4 times in a 12 day period right during the heart of camp (3 times during that period for the starting QB). Can increased practice “efficiency” really lead to 300 extra reps over last year?

And the conspiracy theorist in me wonders about the timing of Rodgers volunteering all this yesterday, then Saleh taking questions on it today. I mean, I hate to be cynical, but is it possible they sensed the questions were about to start coming about what certainly SEEMED to be a very light practice schedule (for Rodgers particularly, and all the starters in general) and decided to get ahead of the story?

It’s probably legit — AR seemed to be speaking sincerely, Saheh seemed to have really thought about it and be speaking sincerely — and if so, I am relieved. But I am still having a hard time seeing how what they are saying lines up with what we’re all seeing.

Well they looked good today versus the Giants. So there's that.