No Reddick = No Super Bowl

On 8/18/2024 at 9:39 AM, T0mShane said:

The OL conversation really ties the room together regarding Douglas sucking. He has George Fant, drafts Becton, Fant outplays Becton every step of the way, Becton eats himself into a gout-induced coma, forced to give the perpetually injured Duane Brown 2/$22 million, drafts Max Mitchell in Rd 4, drafts Carter Warren in Rd 4, lets Fant walk and Fant becomes a starter for the playoff-bound Texans, Brown gets Rodgers killed, Brown gets hurt, forced to turn back to Becton, Becton sucks, lets Becton walk, gives Tyron Smith $6 mil plus incentives ($1mil per game started, which, ok), then turns around and drafts Fashanu at pick 11. If you managed a single asset at your job with the cost:fail rate ratio that Douglas has handled OLT alone you would be blackballed from your industry. And his strength was allegedly the OL! 

tenor.gif

IIRC, if Reddick doesn't play then we still have his rights again next year.  Obviously he's not going to let that happen.  So unless he's considering retirement, the only question is what week he'll be back this year.  I think they said if he joins the team by week 8 (something like that) then he'll have played enough to fulfill his contract for the year and he can be a FA in the offseason.  If he doesn't show up for week 1 then we seriously might end up having to wait until week 8 before seeing him.  

Will we see a motivated Reddick though?  I would think he's not going to want to put bad plays on tape considering he'll want a new contract  (his last big one) after the season.  Could he pull himself out with a phantom injury if we make the playoffs though (because he doesn't want to risk getting injured)?  I could see it.

• Upvote 1

On 8/18/2024 at 9:05 AM, Matt39 said:

He’s a starter. Go ahead, tell us how good Douglas has been for the Jets. They have one starter (Carter) who was drafted after round 2. The gaslighting here is getting wild 

Why are there 0 statistics for Vorhees?

Why are you allowed to point to UDFAs on a roster but JDs UDFAs don’t count to his success.  

• Upvote 1

On 8/31/2024 at 3:36 PM, jetspenguin said:

How would we know?

Sent from the FOREVER AND EVER Suicide Watch desk.

Last team that beat them( Raiders) - show everyone the gameplan to beat the Chiefs.    Just have to have the pass rushers , and everyone on defense line has to stay in their lanes .    You do that, and can hit Mahomes enough times, and he will look like Zach Wilson.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

Question for Sperm, Slats or anyone else who might know.

Was yesterday (Sept 1) the last day that Reddick could report without being fined a paycheck-sized number ($800K) ?

@Sperm Edwards @slats

I doing think so. Larz just noted tomorrow the deadline to be eligible to play week one, so I’d think that’s the deadline for the gang check.

Note, though, that’s not a “fine” per se. It’s a forfeited game check. Fines come off the salary cap because it’s money the team paid to the player. This is money that never gets paid, so it gets credited back to the cap after the league assumes a $14MM charge for the season. I think that’s how it works. 

5 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Last team that beat them( Raiders) - show everyone the gameplan to beat the Chiefs.    Just have to have the pass rushers , and everyone on defense line has to stay in their lanes .    You do that, and can hit Mahomes enough times, and he will look like Zach Wilson.

Same game plan for beating Brady during his reign. How did that work out?

You can hit Mahomes with a baseball bat 40 times on the temple and he will never look like Zackie poo

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

You can hit Mahomes with a baseball bat 40 times on the temple and he will never look like Zackie poo

I think that's a very fair statement. Mahomes is pretty ugly 😉

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I doing think so. Larz just noted tomorrow the deadline to be eligible to play week one, so I’d think that’s the deadline for the gang check.

Note, though, that’s not a “fine” per se. It’s a forfeited game check. Fines come off the salary cap because it’s money the team paid to the player. This is money that never gets paid, so it gets credited back to the cap after the league assumes a $14MM charge for the season. I think that’s how it works. 

So two years ago he got a big-ish lump sum signing bonus which was the prorated over the life of the deal (3-years) for cap accounting purposes.  So even though his cap number each week is $800K, some of that is already in his bank account from two years ago and some gets paid to him each week that he receives a check.  I assume that the fine is for the full cap amount which means as a technical matter the Jets will withhold the check AND.... he is on the hook to return one week's worth of signing bonus that equates to the fine.

If all of that is true, what happens if he refuses to give bac k any money?

10 minutes ago, Barkus said:

The 800k is his game check. Every game he misses he doesn’t get paid. That money I believe will come off the cap. 

I thought because Reddick was placed on the "Reserve/Did Not Report list" his salary does not count against the CAP and will not count against the CAP this year unless/until he reports.

Am I wrong?

2 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I thought because Reddick was placed on the "Reserve/Did Not Report list" his salary does not count against the CAP and will not count against the CAP this year unless/until he reports.

Am I wrong?

I believe that is correct. Also, I believe since he is not on the active roster after Sept 1 his contract is no longer guaranteed. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, EM31 said:

So two years ago he got a big-ish lump sum signing bonus which was the prorated over the life of the deal (3-years) for cap accounting purposes.  So even though his cap number each week is $800K, some of that is already in his bank account from two years ago and some gets paid to him each week that he receives a check.  I assume that the fine is for the full cap amount which means as a technical matter the Jets will withhold the check AND.... he is on the hook to return one week's worth of signing bonus that equates to the fine.

His $838,240 weekly salary (each game check) is all new money for 2024 that hasn't yet been paid to him. It's not been partially paid by any prior bonus. 

Again, if he misses a game, he's not really fined -- rather, they just don't pay him his game check. That's why it wouldn't count against the Jets' cap.

It's a bit like returning an item in a store and getting money back. IOW it's been presumed they would've paid it -- he counts some $14.25MM against the Jets' cap, and unless they cut Reddick they have to maintain the cap space for him to return at a moment's notice. So then each game he misses the team gets credited 1/17 of that $14.25MM = his ~$838K game checks x 17 if he goes on to sit out the whole season. So they got cap-charged $14.25MM and each week he holds out they get a "return" of 1/17 of that.

Since they're unlikely to find a way to use up all of that $14.25MM this season - who'd they spend it on? - then whatever portion they don't spend on someone else along the way will just push to the 2025 cap. (i.e. if the league-wide salary cap next year is set at $250MM, and - other than Reddick's $14.25MM, say the Jets spent every dollar up to their cap limit in 2024 - then the Jets' cap ceiling in 2025 would be $264.25MM). 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

His $838,240 weekly salary (each game check) is all new money for 2024 that hasn't yet been paid to him. It's not been partially paid by any prior bonus. 

Again, if he misses a game, he's not really fined -- rather, they just don't pay him his game check. That's why it wouldn't count against the Jets' cap.

It's a bit like returning an item in a store and getting money back. IOW it's been presumed they would've paid it -- he counts some $14.25MM against the Jets' cap, and unless they cut Reddick they have to maintain the cap space for him to return at a moment's notice. So then each game he misses the team gets credited 1/17 of that $14.25MM = his ~$838K game checks x 17 if he goes on to sit out the whole season. So they got cap-charged $14.25MM and each week he holds out they get a "return" of 1/17 of that.

Since they're unlikely to find a way to use up all of that $14.25MM this season - who'd they spend it on? - then whatever portion they don't spend on someone else along the way will just push to the 2025 cap. (i.e. if the league-wide salary cap next year is set at $250MM, and - other than Reddick's $14.25MM, say the Jets spent every dollar up to their cap limit in 2024 - then the Jets' cap ceiling in 2025 would be $264.25MM). 

With the going rate for running backs being almost an all time low I expect the pendulum on that position to begin to swing back in the other direction.

I would take any "found money" and use it to lock up Breece early.  It will look like a generational bargain in a couple of years.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That's not a deadline to be eligible to play week 1. 

There was a deadline (already passed) by which he would need to report to prevent the team from seeking to put him on the non-roster/exempt list even if he did show up, if the team wanted to do that. So at this point, if Reddick shows up tomorrow and the team wants to make him eat a game check or 2 because they don't think he's in condition to contribute yet, they can do that. But that would be their choice; if he shows up and the team wants to carry him on the roster, he can play week 1.

7 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

That's not a deadline to be eligible to play week 1. 

There was a deadline (already passed) by which he would need to report to prevent the team from seeking to put him on the non-roster/exempt list even if he did show up, if the team wanted to do that. So at this point, if Reddick shows up tomorrow and the team wants to make him eat a game check or 2 because they don't think he's in condition to contribute yet, they can do that. But that would be their choice; if he shows up and the team wants to carry him on the roster, he can play week 1.

Got it. I'm admittedly iffy on some of this stuff myself. I'd pulled up the CBA text and then I realized I'd rather swing and miss on a minor point than sift through that f***ing thing again for 10+ minutes, looking for a clause that may not even spell it out, if I even look in the right section to start with. I'd rather type a post that takes me 10 minutes -- that's my warm blanket.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Yep, that’s how Tampa Beat him on the Super Bowl too. Mahomes lost two starting linemen and that was it, not sure he look like Zach Wilson but yeah, he gets worse when you hit him. 

18 hours ago, EM31 said:

The signing bonus was pro-rated over 2 years.  He has no guaranteed money on this years deal.  

15 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The signing bonus was pro-rated over 2 years.  He has no guaranteed money on this years deal.  

Pity, and thanks to Sperm for his answer on this as well.  The thought of Reddick having to dig into his own  pocket and give back some money as opposed to losing part or all of any new checks was appealing on some level.

@Sperm Edwards

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Yep, that’s how Tampa Beat him on the Super Bowl too. Mahomes lost two starting linemen and that was it, not sure he look like Zach Wilson but yeah, he gets worse when you hit him. 

<chuckles at the idea of anyone looking like Zach Wilson>

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Meh, this year is fully guaranteed if he merely shows up or if he'd shown up weeks/months ago and sustained an injury while practicing.

It wasn't guaranteed in March - if he'd gotten badly injured or suddenly sucked in 2023, for example - but unless his 2024 team was willing to cut him, in practical terms his 2024 season is fully guaranteed.

It's 2025 and beyond (when he'll be a UFA) when there won't be anything guaranteed in advance. 

19 minutes ago, Biggs said:

That's not how that works. Proration is an accounting thing that has nothing to do with when the money gets paid. (Example: Player signs a 5 year deal and gets paid an immediate 10M signing bonus. The cap hit from that bonus is spread evenly across the 5 years, at 2M per year. Same deal except the signing bonus is paid in 2 tranches, 5M before year 1 and a guaranteed 5M roster bonus before year 2? Then the cap hit for the first year's bonus is spread across the 5 years of the deal, at 1M per, then the cap hit for the second bonus is spread across the remaining 4 years of the deal, at 1.25M per). Reddick's signing bonus was prorated across all three years of the deal, but the proration for year three stayed on the Eagles' books when they traded him because they're the team that paid that bonus.

5 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

That's not how that works. Proration is an accounting thing that has nothing to do with when the money gets paid. (Example: Player signs a 5 year deal and gets paid an immediate 10M signing bonus. The cap hit from that bonus is spread evenly across the 5 years, at 2M per year. Same deal except the signing bonus is paid in 2 tranches, 5M before year 1 and a guaranteed 5M roster bonus before year 2? Then the cap hit for the first year's bonus is spread across the 5 years of the deal, at 1M per, then the cap hit for the second bonus is spread across the remaining 4 years of the deal, at 1.25M per). Reddick's signing bonus was prorated across all three years of the deal, but the proration for year three stayed on the Eagles' books when they traded him because they're the team that paid that bonus.

The cap hit is but the way the Eagles structured his pay isn't.   The paid him his 30 million in guaranteed money in his first 2 years.  He has no guaranteed money left.  There is nothing for him to pay back.