My take on Joe Douglas, and his future with the Jets.

18 hours ago, varjet said:

He takes first round picks that have the traits to be pro bowl players, even if they have other issues.  He goes for high ceiling, low floor.  

I think they feel like the rest of the players are close to the same quality, and they can coach/scheme fit them up.  

They also feel like they can find players cut/let loose by other teams. 

Everyone says that the Jets have a great roster.  Their record over the past five years is terrible.  Let’s see if the Jets can win now.   JD must have a handshake deal with Woody. 

I disagree that JD goes for high ceiling, low floor.  That's too simplistic, and is inaccutate.  Becton didn't have a low floor as a prospect.  He was considered safe, but he didn't turn out that way.  Maybe Zach was considered to have a low floor.  Neither Sauce nor Garrett Wilson were considered to have low floors.  Fashanu was not considered to have a low floor.  McDonald probably had a low floor.  That makes only 2 out of 6 1st round picks that had low floors.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, LockeJET said:

This isnt a fire JD take  but I think he really failed the last two years in the draft. You don’t take first round pics that aren’t gonna contribute right away on win now teams. He’s too conservative in different spots. Sometimes you just gotta go for it. He should’ve either traded up or taken guys that would’ve contributed right away. 

I disagree.  Ideally, one wants 1st round picks to play, but sometimes you go for an extremely-talented player because he's the BPA when you already have a quality starter at that position.  Sometimes you take a supremely-talented QB, LT or Edge in the 1st round who will sit for a year because they need to develop further, and you know you don't get chances to draft players like that every day or in lower rounds.  There are many different scenarios that can happen with teams and players in the draft.  Taking a cookie-cutter approach is short-sighted, limiting, and not wise

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, bicketybam said:

The reason they were in a spot to draft Wilson was because JD was able to trade Jamal Adams for two #1 picks. He gets a huge amount of credit for that, whether you acknowledge it or not.

Yes, because the jets were so bad as usual in season, they were able to trade a top player. Had they been actually good, of course they would have kept Adams. 

• Upvote 2

You are what your record says you are. So Joe D has been no bueno so far.

As others pointed out in this thread, as recent as last season he made extremely high-risk decisions at critical positions a vet GM should never make - Zach as back up QB, the LT situation. Sure roll the dice back up TE or safety, but at the two most important positions on offense? Incompetent GM, bush league stuff.

This stated it he has evolved and done some excellent things during his tenure. Culminating in what is a promising 2024 roster.

Will it all come together? Unclear as a good roster is just one part of the equation. The jury is firmly out on JD's HC, and in turn said HC's entire offensive operation. Even with Rodgers at the controls.

And then there's the defense. Almost one week from the season opener has Joe D adequately replaced Bryce Huff's incredible pass rush production and force multiplier for the entire Jets pass rush? With Reddick not here doesn't look like it to me. And did Joe do enough to improve a soft run defense?

Answers begin 9/9.

I like Joe D but all that matters is results. So far, not anywhere near good enough. Time to change that narrative or else.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

I’m personally tired to talking about this sh*t, so I’ll just say this: Regardless of what you may think of Douglas, we seem to ALL agree that JD is a goner if the Jets fail to have success this year. Same for Saleh. The roster looks good on paper, but both have a lot to prove. That’s it. 

Meanwhile, we are 10 days away from opening night! It’s time to look forward, not backwards.

Go JETS!!!! 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

5 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Yes, because the jets were so bad as usual in season, they were able to trade a top player. Had they been actually good, of course they would have kept Adams. 

Congrats on one of the dumbest post ever and that's a huge bar to clear. Holy sh*t. You might want to check Jamal Adams stats once he got traded. 

2 hours ago, JKlecko said:

What were those lot of red flags with Becton?  He had no injury history.  He was dominant.  His movement was great at 335.  He had a feisty attitude and would bury LBs and DBs.  He was great at getting to the 2nd level.  I watched as many games as I could, read everything I could find on him, and never heard about a "lot of red flags."  IMO that's nonsense.

Really dude ? Know I know you don’t even want to acknowledge the obvious lol. He was 370 pounds coming in. That was 2nd heaviest player in NFL. Lot of people thought the weight would be issue in the NFL. Injuries always go up with big heavy guys. Especially on the knees. He was not polished and had lax tendencies. He was a gamble picks Big boom or big bust he was. We know the OT drafted right after him is all pro every yr. 

IMG_3646.png

IMG_3645.png

IMG_3644.png

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Congrats on one of the dumbest post ever and that's a huge bar to clear. Holy sh*t. You might want to check Jamal Adams stats once he got traded. 

Lol you are perhaps the biggest imbecile on the board lol.. I will explain it to you like the 2 year old you are.
   Adams was always regarded as top safety in game. That’s why he got the return he did. Not because JD is so smart and fleeced the Seahawks like you want to believe lol. Jets did the right thing, we’re not going to sign him to a big deal. When your team is that bad, a premier safety is luxury not necessity. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol you are perhaps the biggest imbecile on the board lol.. I will explain it to you like the 2 year old you are.
   Adams was always regarded as top safety in game. That’s why he got the return he did. Not because JD is so smart and fleeced the Seahawks like you want to believe lol. Jets did the right thing, we’re not going to sign him to a big deal. When your team is that bad, a premier safety is luxury not necessity. 

It's nice of you to prove my point for me. You rarely see that happen on a message board. Congrats. What an absolute dimwit.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I’m personally tired to talking about this sh*t, so I’ll just say this: Regardless of what you may think of Douglas, we seem to ALL agree that JD is a goner if the Jets fail to have success this year. Same for Saleh. The roster looks good on paper, but both have a lot to prove. That’s it. 

Meanwhile, we are 10 days away from opening night! It’s time to look forward, not backwards.

Go JETS!!!! 

Best post of the thread 🏆 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

lol you haven’t proved any point. Only in your little head :) 

Believe what you want to believe. No one here will back your position 😅 Adams wasmt worth 2 first round picks except in Seattle's and your mind.

• Thumb Down 1

19 hours ago, Beerfish said:

No worries unless the jets totally shi* the bed this year he will get a fat extension.

He may or may not be a good enough gm to ever get us to the top, he makes a lot of good moves and also makes some huge blunders.

I love your realistic approach. 

33 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Really dude ? Know I know you don’t even want to acknowledge the obvious lol. He was 370 pounds coming in. That was 2nd heaviest player in NFL. Lot of people thought the weight would be issue in the NFL. Injuries always go up with big heavy guys. Especially on the knees. He was not polished and had lax tendencies. He was a gamble picks Big boom or big bust he was. We know the OT drafted right after him is all pro every yr. 

IMG_3646.png

IMG_3645.png

IMG_3644.png

Ah that explains it.  You read the Bleacher Report. I never read that trash rag. Those guys know nothing.

I had forgotten that his weight was that high.  I had remembered his being only 335.  That was definitely one red flag.  That's hardly a number of red flags, however.  The injury risk is part of the weight issue, but he never missed a game in college.

21 hours ago, Alka said:

Joe Douglas was a rookie General Manager when he came onto the Jets, and as a rookie, made many mistakes.  He learned on the job, and if you look at his overall record, you might say he is no better than average.  In fact, if you look at his overall record, you might even say he is a below average general manager.

I have a different take.  I believe that Joe Douglas has transformed himself into a very good General Manager, and I feel that the Jets should not wait too long to extend him well into the future.

I am not concerned about waiting to see what happens this year.  For me, if the Jets fail, then Robert Saleh should be on the hot seat, and be the one to take the fall.

I would hate to see Joe Douglas leave the Jets under any circumstances, and succeed somewhere else.  That would be the equivalent of taking a rookie player, training them, and then they go to another team to become an All-Pro player on another team.

I'm sure I will have many dissenters here.  For me, Joe Douglas has already succeeded in putting this team together.  I love what he has done.  If the Jets fail this year for whatever reason, I will not blame Joe Douglas.  He continues to ascend as a GM, and I believe he will only get better as time goes on.  With him, it is only time until the Jets go back to the Superbowl.

John Idzik was never going to be good enough.  Mike Maccagnan was never going to be good enough IMHO.  Joe Douglas has shown me that he is very good, and only getting better.

JD has been the Best NY Jets GM in over 50 Years. 

7 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

Ah that explains it.  You read the Bleacher Report. I never read that trash rag. Those guys know nothing.

I had forgotten that his weight was that high.  I had remembered his being only 335.  That was definitely one red flag.  That's hardly a number of red flags, however.  The injury risk is part of the weight issue, but he never missed a game in college.

People conveniently forget that he actually had a pretty high draft profile and was absolutely not considered a reach at 11.  The low floor was mentioned as a risk (weight) but there was enormous upside.  He ran a 5.11 40 which was kind of insane for a man his size. Comparisons to Trent Brown were common.  He was a bit higher risk than the others, but his upside was higher as well.  During his rookie year he even looked like he might pan out (stuffed Bosa one week) but then it went off the rails.  Not an uncommon story in the NFL sadly.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

My recollection is a lot different. Yes, Adams was a star player at what he did, which really wasn’t to play the safety position in a classic way. He was a very successful, undersized pass rusher who met his inevitable end; getting hurt. 

At the time he was trying to get traded, he was giving the Jets the finger in Tweets and begging for the Cowboys to trade for him. He made himself so toxic that a majority of fans wanted him off the team. I wanted him traded, but I didn’t think he was worth more than maybe a second rounder plus on the market, tops. Getting two first round picks, a third round pick, and some forgettable safety for Jamal Adams was a helluva deal in real time, and an absolute heist in retrospect. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, jetsons said:

JD has been the Best NY Jets GM in over 50 Years. 

I'm not sure I'd go back that far.  After all, the early and mid-'80s Jets had Wesley Walker, Joe Klecko and the Sack Exchange, Al Toon, Freeman, McNeil, Johnny Hector, Joe Fields, Micky Shuler, Ken O'Brien and others.

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Nice.  Why can't people discuss things civilly without name calling?  Sadly, I used to be the same way, but am trying to move away from it.

Adams was more LB and pass rusher than he was S.  He was not the top S in the game.  He did fleece the Seahawks. No other team even showed cursory interest in Adams.  He was not just a luxury.  He was a pain in the ass and a malcontent.  He was upset because he was playing on a rebuilding team and got tired of the losing.  Perhaps if he had better in pass coverage, the Jets wouldn't have lost so much.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

Nice.  Why can't people discuss things civilly without name calling?  Sadly, I used to be the same way, but am trying to move away from it.

Adams was more LB and pass rusher than he was S.  He was not the top S in the game.  He did fleece the Seahawks. No other team even showed cursory interest in Adams.  He was not just a luxury.  He was a pain in the ass and a malcontent.  He was upset because he was playing on a rebuilding team and got tired of the losing.  Perhaps if he had better in pass coverage, the Jets wouldn't have lost so much.

Go back and look who started it. Wasn’t me. Guy flew off the handle for no reason lol. 

The Seahawks won a LOT more than the jets last 13 years. So would be silly to criticize them too much for the trade, especially as a jet fan. But the reason why jets were so terrible had very little to do with Adams. GMs were most of the blame. 

Just now, Jetsplayer21 said:

Go back and look who started it. Wasn’t me. Guy flew off the handle for no reason lol. 

I have him on ignore, so can't see his posts, precisely for that reason.  Just because he acts like a teenager, doesn't mean that you have to.  I understand that our pride and ego gets involved when someone insults us, and it can be hard not to respond in kind, but sometimes we just have to choose to be the bigger, more mature person, ignore it or cut off communication with  an individual by putting them on ignore.  You're a good poster.  Don't let someone else drag you in the mud.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

I'm not sure I'd go back that far.  After all, the early and mid-'80s Jets had Wesley Walker, Joe Klecko and the Sack Exchange, Al Toon, Freeman, McNeil, Johnny Hector, Joe Fields, Micky Shuler, Ken O'Brien and others.

This team is absolutely loaded and it's really tough to argue with what Joe has put together.  This is the best opening day Roster I can really remember, certainly in this century.

But, they haven't won.

Question becomes - what if Rodgers gets hurt again, Tyron Smith goes down, Mike Williams is shot and AVT has another season ender, this team wins 9 games and misses the playoffs.

Is that on JD?  Is the risk he's taken counting on players like this on him or the nature of the sport? 

Do you still stick with Joe?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JKlecko said:

He not only deserves to be fired for something that stupid, but publicly ridiculed and embarrassed, maybe even publicly flogged.

Let's not get carried away!  Okay!  He was wrong with this thinking, and I agree with you.  But, things did work out, and to me, that is the bottom line.