Brock Bowers Already on track to be better than Gronk

Our TEs had 7 catches for 108 yards this week. Better than Brock did. We don’t need Brock but we do need Olu.

I haven’t argued otherwise but will note that our TE’s have Aaron Rodgers while Bowers has Minshew.

Conklin is a good player but he’s not on the same planet as Bowers.

Bowers has an 86% catch rate. He’s on pace to break records as a rookie.

My commentary is solely focused on those who argued that he was not worthy of a top 10 pick.

He certainly was and through three games he has proved as much.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Larz said:

@slats and I both agree that Olu was the correct pick. Feast your eyes on this fellas. He’s going to be great. First live action at RT and all he does is perfectly execute seals, picks up a stunt , climb to the second level, and stone walls pass rushers.  

Looks solid and engaged. Also looks like he gets. Nice start. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

This thread is not about Olu vs Brock Bowers.

It’s about Brock Bowers being a generational tight end.

I remember the naysayers and I have the receipts.

The “generational tight end” has yet to score a touchdown or surpass 100 yards receiving in a game and looked like an undersized JAG yesterday 

11 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

This thread is not about Olu vs Brock Bowers.

It’s about Brock Bowers being a generational tight end.

I remember the naysayers and I have the receipts.

The “generational tight end” has yet to score a touchdown or surpass 100 yards receiving in a game and looked like an undersized JAG yesterday.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jack Straw said:

I haven’t argued otherwise but will note that our TE’s have Aaron Rodgers while Bowers has Minshew.

Conklin is a good player but he’s not on the same planet as Bowers.

Bowers has an 86% catch rate. He’s on pace to break records as a rookie.

My commentary is solely focused on those who argued that he was not worthy of a top 10 pick.

He certainly was and through three games he has proved as much.

Minshew is a checkdown guy.  He is always going to throw to the TE or RB in the flat

1 minute ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

The “generational tight end” has yet to score a touchdown or surpass 100 yards receiving in a game and looked like an undersized JAG yesterday.

The league leading receiver, has 3 TD's.  That's a big number to make up, if/when he finally catches a TD from one of those bad ass QB's they have. 

Just now, JiFtheOracle said:

The league leading receiver, has 3 TD's.  That's a big number to make up, if/when he finally catches a TD from one of those bad ass QB's they have. 

The point is if Bowers is the GOAT TE he should already have a touchdown and a game with over 100 receiving yards

I watched a lot of the raiders game yesterday.  I was not impressed by bowers at all.  To be honest he looks like and plays like Hunter Renfrow

24 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Looks solid and engaged. Also looks like he gets. Nice start. 

That would be my take. Looks like a guy who knows his assignments and executes them well. The one play where his guy got away from him, he still managed to engage him long enough for Rodgers to scramble for positive yards to his side. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

The point is if Bowers is the GOAT TE he should already have a touchdown and a game with over 100 receiving yards

I watched a lot of the raiders game yesterday.  I was not impressed by bowers at all.  To be honest he looks like and plays like Hunter Renfrow

True, true....Since Gronk himself made this proclamation, I decided to look up his stats from his first 3 games.

Gronk after 3 games in the NFL w/ Tom Brady (have you heard for him?) and he had 6 catches for 47 yards.  However!!!  He did catch 2 TD's.  So  you're right.  For Gronk to call Bowers the GOAT already, he should have multiple TD's and multiple hundred yards games.  Especially considering he's playing for a much better team w/ a much better QB.

9 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

He already has more yards then Gronk did his rookie year. I'm assuming TD's are lacking because Raiders are ass.

44 minutes ago, Larz said:

@slats and I both agree that Olu was the correct pick. Feast your eyes on this fellas. He’s going to be great. First live action at RT and all he does is perfectly execute seals, picks up a stunt , climb to the second level, and stone walls pass rushers.  

Thats... that really quite amazing to watch! Is this AI? I mean, I had been informed quite recently that moving 20 feet on the field, from the left side of the line to the right was essentially like trying to learn calculus, fully fluent ancient Egyptian, and how to properly rewire a Cray Supercomputer all while dancing a perfect Capoeira routine at the same time, and even 10-year vets struggle with even contemplating doing so. 

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Tony Gonzalez, Antonio Gates, Shannon Sharpe, Jason Witten, and Jimmy Graham also had zero touchdowns in their first three games. All are busts.

Switching gears, guys Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Joe Montana, and Tom Brady all had zero touchdowns in their first three games. 

Busts. 

1 minute ago, Jack Straw said:

Tony Gonzalez, Antonio Gates, Shannon Sharpe, Jason Witten, and Jimmy Graham also had zero touchdowns in their first three games. All are busts.

Tony Gonzalez, 6’5”, 247. Antonio Gates, 6’4”, 255. Jason Witten, 6’6”, 263. Jimmy Graham, 6’7”, 265. Only Sharpe was around Bowers size at 6’2”, 228, but that was also 25-30 years ago. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Tony Gonzalez, 6’5”, 247. Antonio Gates, 6’4”, 255. Jason Witten, 6’6”, 263. Jimmy Graham, 6’7”, 265. Only Sharpe was around Bowers size at 6’2”, 228, but that was also 25-30 years ago. 

Bowers measured in at 6'3 1/8" and 243 lbs. No need to shave off inches and pounds to argue he's undersized. Also, comparing him to traditional tight ends misses the point—he’s not one. Naysayers are going to give themselves a stroke watching Bowers catch 110 passes for 1,200 yards while screaming, "but he's too small!" into the abyss of the internet.

4 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Bowers measured in at 6'3 1/8" and 243 lbs.

Pro-football reference lists him at 230, and the Raiders website lists the same weight. They both lie about his height, though, calling him 6’4”, so who knows? Doesn’t look that big to me. 

5 minutes ago, slats said:

Pro-football reference lists him at 230, and the Raiders website lists the same weight. They both lie about his height, though, calling him 6’4”, so who knows? Doesn’t look that big to me. 

His combine measurements are more accurate. He’s not 6'4", and he likely plays closer to 230. But none of that really matters. You don’t bring a Ferrari to a demolition derby. If teams are drafting Bowers to block in-line 50% of the time, they're missing the point of his skillset.

2 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

His combine measurements are more accurate. He’s not 6'4", and he likely plays closer to 230. But none of that really matters. You don’t bring a Ferrari to a demolition derby. If teams are drafting Bowers to block in-line 50% of the time, they're missing the point of his skillset.

Right. He’s really not a TE, he’s just a larger slot receiver. Not a good use of a first round pick, imho, but you’re free to feel otherwise. He’s getting bombarded with targets right now, so enjoy it. 

Right. He’s really not a TE, he’s just a larger slot receiver. Not a good use of a first round pick, imho, but you’re free to feel otherwise. He’s getting bombarded with targets right now, so enjoy it. 

Kind of like Pitts in Atl.

Good player, but more a big WR than a true TE.

Also TE production (along with most offensive numbers) are way down this year compared to previous.

So I think bowers can be a stud and one of the better TEs this year while not putting up the big time numbers.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

10 hours ago, JiFtheOracle said:

True, true....Since Gronk himself made this proclamation, I decided to look up his stats from his first 3 games.

Gronk after 3 games in the NFL w/ Tom Brady (have you heard for him?) and he had 6 catches for 47 yards.  However!!!  He did catch 2 TD's.  So  you're right.  For Gronk to call Bowers the GOAT already, he should have multiple TD's and multiple hundred yards games.  Especially considering he's playing for a much better team w/ a much better QB.

9 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

Switching gears, guys Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Joe Montana, and Tom Brady all had zero touchdowns in their first three games. 

Busts. 

And Stephen Hill after his first career game was on pace for 1,500 yards and 32 Touchdowns.  We can do this all day and overrate Bowers

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1