SALEH FIRED

nj meadowlands

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

yes, usually the head coach hires all of his assistants. And since Saleh wanted Rodgers, I'm assuming he reached out to Hackett in very much the same way he reached out to everyone else he hired?

Even if I grant you that Hackett was "forced" on him (again, I doubt that. I think the Jets made an organizational decision to go after Rodgers and Saleh was very happy to bring in a guy he had high regard for to make that happen), who else was forced on him?  Not Keith Carter, so who else? This whole narrative goes nowhere and absolves Saleh of nothing. 

Did he choose Zach Wilson and did he choose to fire Mike LaFleur. Start there. We know Woody meddles. We know Douglas interjects into the running of the team. Saleh did not sit at his desk and connive a path toward seducing Rodgers to the Jets by himself. The Jets defense—which is Saleh’s defense—has given up one TD total over the last three games. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Did he choose Zach Wilson and did he choose to fire Mike LaFleur. Start there. We know Woody meddles. We know Douglas interjects into the running of the team. Saleh did not sit at his desk and connive a path toward seducing Rodgers to the Jets by himself. The Jets defense—which is Saleh’s defense—has given up one TD total over the last three games. 

Please stop the nonsense. He 100% wanted Wilson. I remember vividly seeing Saleh giggle like a school girl during the pro day. Not to mention shanahan traded three first round picks to jump into the top 3 knowing they’d take Wilson if he was there.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Did he choose Zach Wilson and did he choose to fire Mike LaFleur. Start there. We know Woody meddles. We know Douglas interjects into the running of the team. Saleh did not sit at his desk and connive a path toward seducing Rodgers to the Jets by himself

No sh*t. None of these decisions were made by one person. The coach, GM, and owner sit in a room together and talk about it. I'm saying Saleh was on board (and enthusiastic) about getting Aaron Rodgers and nothing more. 

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets defense—which is Saleh’s defense—has given up one TD total over the last three games. 

That's great - I'd offer him the DC job tonight. The head coach doesn't get paid to field a good defense, he gets paid to win games. 

7 minutes ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

Please stop the nonsense. He 100% wanted Wilson. I remember vividly seeing Saleh giggle like a school girl during the pro day. Not to mention shanahan traded three first round picks to jump into the top 3 knowing they’d take Wilson if he was there.

That's the thing. A bunch of teams wanted Wilson. The Jets weren't alone on that one. 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

No idea what your point even is anymore. You just said Saleh didn't make the decision by himself and I agreed with you. 

I don’t think Saleh made a lot of decisions by himself, including Hackett, possibly Downing, etc. My overarching point is that if Woody’s concern was to fix the team’s problems this week, firing Saleh doesn’t make much sense when it’s clearly the offense ******* the team. How does putting Ulbrich in charge of Hackett fix anything? 

• Sympathy 1

32 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t think Saleh made a lot of decisions by himself, including Hackett, possibly Downing, etc. My overarching point is that if Woody’s concern was to fix the team’s problems this week, firing Saleh doesn’t make much sense when it’s clearly the offense ******* the team. How does putting Ulbrich in charge of Hackett fix anything? 

You'll see! :D 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

My overarching point is that if Woody’s concern was to fix the team’s problems this week, firing Saleh doesn’t make much sense when it’s clearly the offense ******* the team. How does putting Ulbrich in charge of Hackett fix anything? 

Well, first, it's not clear what Ulbrich is going to do with Hackett and what Hackett's precise role will be going forward. It sounds like Downing will be calling plays on Monday night. Beyond that, it's not clear what Hackett's role will be. 

Either way, they didn't have a great way to fix the offense, on paper. Anyone who took over for Saleh was getting promoted from the current staff because it's week 6. Any play-caller who takes over for Hackett is coming from the current staff because it's week 6. There's no slam dunks on this staff. This is the consequence of not replacing Saleh back in January, when he 100% should have been replaced. 

The Jets organization is supposedly high on Ulbrich. This is a Hail Mary. If they are right about Ulbrich (unlikely but not impossible) and Downing is a materially better offensive coach/play-caller than Hackett (also unlikely) than maybe they can eek out a season. If not, everyone is gone at the end of the year. But, with Saleh, that was 100% happening anyway. Saleh was never going 8-4 in the remaining 12 games. He's barely ever gotten the team to play well 2 weeks in a row. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The entire braintrust went out to Utah to watch Wilson run around a high school field and throw. They all wanted it to be so. It was wishful thinking plus groupthink. 2 decisions have killed this franchise last decade; Adams over Mahomes(epic BAD) , and then compounding that  bad  by taking Wilson over Parsons or Sewell and keeping Darnold. There's an argument that Darnold can be servicable, may be not a superstar but I guy you can win with. Right now, Darnold is in that muddled middle of QBs like Burrow and Lawrence. 

Simply not sure how anyone could watch like Zach Wilson for 10 minutes on college film and see anything more than a backup or a CFL running type QB. And Saleh was right there in Utah. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

Think he like everyone including us hoped a guy even this late in a Hall of Fame career could make things way better. You can fault the move, but you also can understand the logic. 

I don't have a problem with the firing. Heck, all for it. Saleh didn't add anything. Johnson is no genius but they  had to change some variable and apply the paddles. You can't allow them to start playing out the string with a dozen games left here. Can't cut 53 players but you can fire 1 guy. Though strongly suspect Johnson did this largely because Saleh's contract is up at the end of the season and he won't pay anybody not to coach ever again. They've done that so often. 

actually i read Saleh has a 5th year and he said he plans on not coaching next year.

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

tbh maybe nothing, but Saleh wasn't going to fire anyone under him, and being such a mushy mush as a HC he was in no position to find fault with anyone else anyway. Like even with the offense being this awful, the two most likely or main culprits who deserve to get fired themselves - Hackett & Carter - would look at him like, Lmao what is it you even do here? You ignore half the team and don't call the plays on the other half. Sniff my sweaty nuts, baldy. 

Anyway Saleh isn't going to fire any coach himself. I guess there's a possibility Ulbrich might, if things don't change for the better, but even if he doesn't it probably speaks to the other issue: who is there to hire right now anyway? I mean, what offensive coach of any merit would sign on to this team right now?

Make a change and hope it lights a spark. Even if it's just getting them more disciplined to cut down on the penalties, drops, miscommunications, and just mental errors in general. That, and hearing Hackett call a stupid play he'll now be in a position to say, "Whoa, are you sh**ting me? You know how easy/obvious that is to defend? Call something else," -- even in the absence of making that new/better play call himself fingers crossed maybe he stops a few tragically stupid ones from happening.

Saleh deserved it. Plus yeah I guess they also will see a dozen games of whether Ulbrich is worth keeping, since he'd get tossed with Saleh & all the staff after the season anyway. Is he worth promoting as HC or was he just Saleh's errand boy as a DC? They get to see without yet making a multi-year commitment to him. That alone makes it worth doing.

Players need to fear their coach. I don’t mean a primal fear but they need to be afraid of disappointing him. Saleh was like a parent “critiquing” his kids’ finger paintings.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, doitny said:

actually i read Saleh has a 5th year and he said he plans on not coaching next year.

If I had his kind of scratch, I’d move off the grid to Fiji without even forwarding my mail. 

• Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, PS17 said:

Saleh finished with a worse record than Adam Gase and a locker room full of players that think he’s a joke. Saleh will land on his feet as a DC in all likelihood next year - probably in SF - but hard disagree on him coming out of this looking good. That said the national media is running with the loljets thing so who knows. 

How is 20-36 a worse record than 9-23? They are both bad HC but Gase was so so bad. I consider he has been our worst coach over the last 25 years, as a HC and a human being. 

• Post of the Week 1

If I had his kind of scratch, I’d move off the grid to Fiji without even forwarding my mail. 
Was thinking the same thing ... Jesus .. it's patently sickening... Produce the worst at your job and get set for life.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Sympathy 1

On 10/8/2024 at 11:30 PM, PS17 said:

To this day this is the funniest press conference I’ve ever seen. And the corresponding JN thread was the funniest I’ve ever seen in my 16 years on this site. 

I'm going to have to try and find this thread.  I want to go back and read it now!  lol.

It was readily apparent that Gase was a maniac from literally his first press conference.  LMAO!

1 hour ago, Badom said:

How is 20-36 a worse record than 9-23? They are both bad HC but Gase was so so bad. I consider he has been our worst coach over the last 25 years, as a HC and a human being. 

I'm not exactly a Gase fan (only SAR I and T0m were, afaik) but I do think he was given a lot less to work with than Saleh was.  Gase's 7-9 was a bit inflated because we beat a string of crappy teams but, to his credit, at least he won those games.  Knowing Saleh, he'd have gone .500 against  those cupcakes and talked about how close we were to turning the corner. 

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

In the big picture I don't think the Jets' defense will lose anything without Saleh.  And that's a pretty big indictment because what other part of the team did he make any legitimate contributions to?  He's a nice guy but, imo, an atrocity of a HC.

8 hours ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

Saleh giggled like a school girl when he was interviewed, got the job and almost every minute of his first offseason as Jets HC.  The Jets sucked the laughter and good vibes right out of him.  He would have giggled if we kept Sam and traded down and got 2 or 3 real players.  The giggling stopped when the losing started.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, slimjasi said:

That's the thing. A bunch of teams wanted Wilson. The Jets weren't alone on that one. 

Casserly doesn't even have Brock Purdy on his radar. He recommended Johnson hire Todd Bowles. He wears the ugliest dead animal hairpiece on earth. Belichick thinks he's a walking joke. 

8 hours ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

Did Saleh actually bother to show up at a Pro Day?  Possibly you're confusing that with him being in a "pro shop"?  

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I wonder if he will continue the Jet’s ex-coaching tradition of never getting another NFL head coaching job again. 

He deserved to be fired.

On 10/9/2024 at 8:25 AM, T0mShane said:

So, the day-after analysis is:

1. Rodgers—whose actively tried to get every coach he’s ever had fired—finally found an owner weak enough to listen to him. Saleh had been poking Rodgers all year, and particularly this week (cadence thing, saying Rodgers had been “up and down”), and Rodgers pulled his support. 

2. Woody is boxed in because Saleh had consciously avoided hiring anyone capable of succeeding him. Ulbrich became the only guy credible enough to become the interim because Saleh’s defense is the only thing that works on the team. 

3. Saleh, by getting fired now, comes out smelling like a rose. The defense has been good; Jets management, vis a vis Woody, looks wholly dysfunctional; Douglas is emasculated because he let his coach get whacked and he’d already been walking the tightrope. If the season goes South, nobody will remember that Saleh sucked, and he got out right before the coming (probable) implosion. 

4. All the pressure in the world falls on Ulbrich, who’s had designs to become a head coach and who also tried to leave to become the Niners DC. Now he inherits a banged up and empowered Rodgers, a disillusioned set of young players who are all underachieving and are showing signs of checking out. Can Ulbrich pull it back together, or does Rodgers make that impossible? 

Bookmarked. 

3. Saleh, by getting fired now, comes out smelling like a rose. The defense has been good; Jets management, vis a vis Woody, looks wholly dysfunctional; Douglas is emasculated because he let his coach get whacked and he’d already been walking the tightrope. If the season goes South, nobody will remember that Saleh sucked, and he got out right before the coming (probable) implosion. 

This might be the funniest thing you've ever written.  I know as Jet fans we're not exactly accustomed to success, but since when does 20-36 count as "smelling like a rose"?! 

Reminder that Saleh is not the "HC of the defense".  He also didn't need to communicate with Joe Benigno last year.  And how can you possibly defend a HC who just said that the first 1/3 of the season is the "nothing part of football"?!

Saleh is a complete and utter fraud, who will go down as one of the worst HCs in Jets' history.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets defense—which is Saleh’s defense—has given up one TD total over the last three games. 

Robert Salehs Defensive philosophy since becoming a Defensive Coordinator in 2017 has apparently been "Have multiple Pro Bowl Quality Players at every level of the Defense and play the most static scheme possible and let those players win their matchups". Brilliant. He really is a mastermind. 

Unfortunately, I have never seen him with a play sheet in his hand at ANY game he has coached for the Jets, I have never seen him directing players on the Sidelines for the Jets during a game, and in the multitude of coverage between 1 Jets Drive, Hard Knocks, or any other footage/media/reports I have never seen or even heard of Saleh teaching technique or coaching up a single player. By "Salehs Defense", in his own words and actions they don't blitz much (When they did vs the Pats, it was very effective - which is why they... stopped against Nix and Darnold??), they do NOT "alter" how they cover - "We don't do that, that's not our system" and they do not seem to specifically gameplan for circumstances that dictate they do so. He seems to be the "Brake" on Ulbrich calling a more aggressive Defensive scheme, tbh. His success has been from I guess saying, "Go tackle the guy with the ball, fellas!" and being pumped up on the sideline. Meanwhile, Ulbrich has been the DC the past 3+ years, but its always "Saleh's Defense". 

In year 4, he finally decided to be "more involved" in the Offense. So exactly what, aside from awkward and clumsy press conferences, chatting with Joe Benigno, taking receipts, and inventing new slogans has Saleh been doing as Head Coach of this team? Dude is in as good if not better shape than when he was hired to be a HC, his golf game has improved apparently, and he obviously hasn't learned a damn thing. - "The QB's cadence"? "This is the nothing part of Football"?? Firing him is almost more of a symbolic gesture at this point. Now its up to Ulbrich, playing with house money, to take control of the mess he inherited. 

Honestly if I was in Ulbrich's shoes, upon being TOLD I was being elevated to HC in week 6 AFTER the Coach was already fired, I would have demanded full control over the coaching staff AND roster to make any changes that I saw fit to make WITHOUT OVERSIGHT OR a 2 year deal as HC... or find another patsy to steer this sinking ship. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think one big debate about saleh’s worth is whether or not it’s his defense or ulbrich’s.  If saleh’s not responsible for the defense’s performance then there should be no downside to removing him.  If saleh’s best attributes are managerial and motivational, he’s failed on both counts. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Well, first, it's not clear what Ulbrich is going to do with Hackett and what Hackett's precise role will be going forward. It sounds like Downing will be calling plays on Monday night. Beyond that, it's not clear what Hackett's role will be. 

Either way, they didn't have a great way to fix the offense, on paper. Anyone who took over for Saleh was getting promoted from the current staff because it's week 6. Any play-caller who takes over for Hackett is coming from the current staff because it's week 6. There's no slam dunks on this staff. This is the consequence of not replacing Saleh back in January, when he 100% should have been replaced. 

The Jets organization is supposedly high on Ulbrich. This is a Hail Mary. If they are right about Ulbrich (unlikely but not impossible) and Downing is a materially better offensive coach/play-caller than Hackett (also unlikely) than maybe they can eke out a season. If not, everyone is gone at the end of the year. But, with Saleh, that was 100% happening anyway. Saleh was never going 8-4 in the remaining 12 games. He's barely ever gotten the team to play well 2 weeks in a row. 

A Hail Mary is a strong depiction.  In woody’s statement he essentially said the team (on paper) is too talented to be playing like this.  He’s not wrong.  Even if rodgers is an average qb at this point, the offense should not be last in running yards per game.  And if saleh won’t make a change to fix it, then the team as a whole deserves someone who will.  

We knew going into the season that if they didn’t do well lots of people were going to disappear.  Woody removed the guy who imo he couldn’t stand the most, and regardless of what we’re hearing i believe Hackett is also now on notice.  You can’t add 3 OL, williams and draft avt and tippman and have hall and allen and be last in rushing yards per game.  There’s something philosophically very wrong with the offense and the whole seems less than the sum of the individual parts.  

Finally, i also don’t believe for a second that a guy like Corley isn’t ready to contribute.  For a team that desperately needs first downs, having a guy who can allegedly get YAC with quick throws is a guy a good coaching staff would figure out how to use.  I think they lack the guts and imagination to use a guy like him right now with the vets on offense.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Finally, i also don’t believe for a second that a guy like Corley isn’t ready to contribute.  For a team that desperately needs first downs, having a guy who can allegedly get YAC with quick throws is a guy a good coaching staff would figure out how to use.  I think they lack the guts and imagination to use a guy like him right now with the vets on offense.

The way Denver and Minn played Defense is what teams are going to do for the rest of the season - and fundamentally the same as what they've been doing for the last 3 years but for different reasons - out-man the O-Line and blitz the sh*t out of the QB every play. For Zach, it was "make him uncomfortable and he'll throw us the ball". For Rodgers its, "he's 40 years old and can't move anymore and is skittish about being hit". SO far, its worked.

How do you beat that? SCREENS. Who made his name on screen plays? Corley. But lets play Lil' Gipper and pretend Rodgers is 30 and Allen Lazard is Jordy Nelson. LOL. 

Go get Adams TODAY and start utilizing Corley in a similar fashion Deebo was used early in his career. Enough with the garbage like "he doesn't know the route tree - need work on routes". Shut up. Design some screens for him, it's what he's REALLY good at and hurt them when they blitz FFS> This is Football 101 FFS. 

And Ulbrich hopefully has a clue. Because Saleh didn't and Hackett is garbage. 

51 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Robert Salehs Defensive philosophy since becoming a Defensive Coordinator in 2017 has apparently been "Have multiple Pro Bowl Quality Players at every level of the Defense and play the most static scheme possible and let those players win their matchups". Brilliant. He really is a mastermind. 

Unfortunately, I have never seen him with a play sheet in his hand at ANY game he has coached for the Jets, I have never seen him directing players on the Sidelines for the Jets during a game, and in the multitude of coverage between 1 Jets Drive, Hard Knocks, or any other footage/media/reports I have never seen or even heard of Saleh teaching technique or coaching up a single player. By "Salehs Defense", in his own words and actions they don't blitz much (When they did vs the Pats, it was very effective - which is why they... stopped against Nix and Darnold??), they do NOT "alter" how they cover - "We don't do that, that's not our system" and they do not seem to specifically gameplan for circumstances that dictate they do so. He seems to be the "Brake" on Ulbrich calling a more aggressive Defensive scheme, tbh. His success has been from I guess saying, "Go tackle the guy with the ball, fellas!" and being pumped up on the sideline. Meanwhile, Ulbrich has been the DC the past 3+ years, but its always "Saleh's Defense". 

In year 4, he finally decided to be "more involved" in the Offense. So exactly what, aside from awkward and clumsy press conferences, chatting with Joe Benigno, taking receipts, and inventing new slogans has Saleh been doing as Head Coach of this team? Dude is in as good if not better shape than when he was hired to be a HC, his golf game has improved apparently, and he obviously hasn't learned a damn thing. - "The QB's cadence"? "This is the nothing part of Football"?? Firing him is almost more of a symbolic gesture at this point. Now its up to Ulbrich, playing with house money, to take control of the mess he inherited. 

Honestly if I was in Ulbrich's shoes, upon being TOLD I was being elevated to HC in week 6 AFTER the Coach was already fired, I would have demanded full control over the coaching staff AND roster to make any changes that I saw fit to make WITHOUT OVERSIGHT OR a 2 year deal as HC... or find another patsy to steer this sinking ship. 

Thank you for writing that.  It's cathartic to read.  And I literally LOL'd a couple of times.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

The way Denver and Minn played Defense is what teams are going to do for the rest of the season - and fundamentally the same as what they've been doing for the last 3 years but for different reasons - out-man the O-Line and blitz the sh*t out of the QB every play. For Zach, it was "make him uncomfortable and he'll throw us the ball". For Rodgers its, "he's 40 years old and can't move anymore and is skittish about being hit". SO far, its worked.

How do you beat that? SCREENS. Who made his name on screen plays? Corley. But lets play Lil' Gipper and pretend Rodgers is 30 and Allen Lazard is Jordy Nelson. LOL. 

Go get Adams TODAY and start utilizing Corley in a similar fashion Deebo was used early in his career. Enough with the garbage like "he doesn't know the route tree - need work on routes". Shut up. Design some screens for him, it's what he's REALLY good at and hurt them when they blitz FFS> This is Football 101 FFS. 

And Ulbrich hopefully has a clue. Because Saleh didn't and Hackett is garbage. 

Rodgers famously, famously doesn't enjoy playing with rookie WR. He loathed what now looks like a fantastic wide receiver room in Green Bay two years ago if you remember. Good, bad or indifferent, I don't think Corley is gonna see much playing time or the ball if he is out there.

Kind of a tangent but Nate Tice's podcast touched on the Saleh thing/the problem with the Jets offense. Basically his diagnoses is Rodgers is playing his favorite hits with the playcalling but it's all stuff that modern defenses have figured out. It worked with Lafleur because there was another adult in the room to synthesize the way he likes to play with 2024 concepts but here they don't have anyone to get him out of his comfort zone.