Adjustments That Need To Be Made...

The Jets can potentially win most of their remaining games with a few adjustments. 

I'd recommend the following:

On offense:

1. Bench Tyron Smith and start Fashanu

2. Use more offensive sets with two ball carriers in the backfield.  If they insist on not using any motion for the type of game that Rodgers likes, they need to do more to hide what they are going to do.  Using two ball carriers from time to time is one thing they can do.  They can also use two TE's or perhaps even run some unbalanced line.   They can stick without using any motion, but they need ways to confound the defense.

On defense:

1.  Since the Jets 4-2-5 "bee swarm" is much more geared to stop the pass, it lacks leverage at the second level.  The bad tackling we are seeing is less about form and more about weight and strength. They can keep the group that they are using, but they have to make adjustments that will compensate for that lack of beef at the second level.  I know they like to go with 4 guys on the line, but there is no law saying they have to.  They need to get creative in order to stop the run.  Perhaps start flexing the 1st and second level of the defense with an extra DE/LB.  Call it a a 4-4-3.  They must find a way to add more beef without leaving the back end wide open.  Flexing all three levels of the defense without telegraphing is the way to go.  Give Rex a call.  He can help. 

Any way you slice it, they need to do more to vary the fronts and looks of both the offense and defense.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Trotter said:

have the kansas city chiefs wear jets uniforms for the remainder of the year. replace Jets coaching and training staffs with KC.

Even then somehow someway it will get f'd up. 

wait - i am on 3 hours sleep - messed that one up - please ignore 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

The Jets can potentially win most of their remaining games with a few adjustments. 

On offense:

2. Use more offensive sets with two ball carriers in the backfield.  If they insist on not using any motion for the type of game that Rodgers likes, they need to do more to hide what they are going to do.  Using two ball carriers from time to time is one thing they can do.  They can also use two TE's or perhaps even run some unbalanced line.   They can stick without using any motion, but they need ways to confound the defense.

On defense:

1.  Since the Jets 4-2-5 "bee swarm" is much more geared to stop the pass, it lacks leverage at the second level.  The bad tackling we are seeing is less about form and more about weight and strength. They can keep the group that they are using, but they have to make adjustments that will compensate for that lack of beef at the second level.  I know they like to go with 4 guys on the line, but there is no law saying they have to.  They need to get creative in order to stop the run.  Perhaps start flexing the 1st and second level of the defense with an extra DE/LB.  Call it a a 4-4-3.  They must find a way to add more beef without leaving the back end wide open.  Flexing all three levels of the defense without telegraphing is the way to go.  Give Rex a call.  He can help. 

Any way you slice it, they need to do more to vary the fronts and looks of both the offense and defense.  

good points but i'd be looking for a new place kicker, asap.  no such thing as a gimme field goal but the two he missed are the ones he needs to make.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

good points but i'd be looking for a new place kicker, asap.  no such thing as a gimme field goal but the two he missed are the ones he needs to make.

Yeah... You can boil it down to Tyron Smith, Greg The Former Leg and Mike Williams all making mistakes, but some other schematic changes on offense and defense would be a big help.  The offense is too predictable and the defense can be pushed around due to a lack of leverage.  It makes it much more of an uphill battle if the opposing team knows your tendencies and weakness.  

• Upvote 2

Seems like strange "adjustments."  Didn't they run more motion yesterday?  Like a ton more?  Smith has looked bad, but the run game was a sh*tload better than it has been with Fashanu in there.  They have been playing a ton of 3 LB sets.  Maybe the issue was more the injuries at CB forcing more S help to Echols and whoever was playing slot?  I think it was mostly the safeties (Davis and Oliver) but Jalen Mills played 10 snaps or so.  Clark going down couldn't have helped the run D either. 

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

On offense:

On defense:

Its shocking just hos bad Tyron has been..............or is it?

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

On offense:

On defense:

It doesn’t need to be this complicated.

Take the gun out of their hands so they stop shooting themselves and they’ll have a chance.

14 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Seems like strange "adjustments."  Didn't they run more motion yesterday?  Like a ton more?  Smith has looked bad, but the run game was a sh*tload better than it has been with Fashanu in there.  They have been playing a ton of 3 LB sets.  Maybe the issue was more the injuries at CB forcing more S help to Echols and whoever was playing slot?  I think it was mostly the safeties (Davis and Oliver) but Jalen Mills played 10 snaps or so.  Clark going down couldn't have helped the run D either. 

Not sure I'd call them strange adjustments. Less about adjustments and more about creativity.  When was the last time the Jets had two ball carriers in the backfield ??? Not saying that needs to be the usual, especially since it's not the Rodger's offense, but a few varied sets here and there can help keep 'em guessing.  Same deal with one TE or two TE or unbalanced line or even running a direct snap to the ball carrier once or twice a game.  Not saying go with it all the time, but vary it up. 

On defense, could have been injuries causing issues, but overall and not just in this past game, the Jets defense gets pushed around.  The 9'ers did it and so did the Bills.  The Jets simply don't have the leverage to stop downhill power.  How would the 9'ers or Bills run game have done with Bryan Thomas, Bart Scott, David Harris, Calvin Pace there vs. three speedy smurfs + one SS that is not known for punishing hits. 

9 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Its shocking just hos bad Tyron has been..............or is it?

Shocking that they have a #1 draft pick for that position and he's on the bench white Tyron is making a mess of it.  We already saw Fashanu in at RT and he looked good in pass protection.  Get him in at LT.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Red zone offense needs adjusting.  

For sure. The shorter the field gets, they harder of a time they seem to be having.  They are not good at running power and they are not good at running any quick hitting pass plays.  No utilization of meshing pass catchers either.  

Just now, THE BARON said:

For sure. The shorter the field gets, they harder of a time they seem to be having.  They are not good at running power and they are not good at running any quick hitting pass plays.  No utilization of meshing pass catchers either.  

They don’t attack the end zone, when they get close they need to keep attacking.

13 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Not sure I'd call them strange adjustments. Less about adjustments and more about creativity.  When was the last time the Jets had two ball carriers in the backfield ??? Not saying that needs to be the usual, especially since it's not the Rodger's offense, but a few varied sets here and there can help keep 'em guessing.  Same deal with one TE or two TE or unbalanced line or even running a direct snap to the ball carrier once or twice a game.  Not saying go with it all the time, but vary it up. 

On defense, could have been injuries causing issues, but overall and not just in this past game, the Jets defense gets pushed around.  The 9'ers did it and so did the Bills.  The Jets simply don't have the leverage to stop downhill power.  How would the 9'ers or Bills run game have done with Bryan Thomas, Bart Scott, David Harris, Calvin Pace there vs. three speedy smurfs + one SS that is not known for punishing hits. 

That is literally why I said strange.  The Jets played Allen and Hall in the backfield together multiple times.  They did it multiple times last night, so I'm not sure why it requires more "creativity."  

Likewise, my point was that the Jets have adjusted to stop the run.  They have played more 3 LB sets.  IMO the price of the injuries is less ability to do that because the secondary was weaker.  I think Clark is known for punishing hits, but he is less the issue than have to cover for backups at CB and nickel.

I have no idea why you are bringing up Ryan's D which was more than a decade ago.  IMO the issue is not that they play "three speedy smurfs + one Ss that is not known for punishing hits."  It's that they play a four man front with two speedy smurfs at LB.  I was listening to some monkeys on the NFL radio network because I had left the radio on the game station last night.  Solomon Wilcotts was saying that if you want the cure for thinking you are always right, do in the NFL because there is an answer for everything.  The Jets D is built to stop the pass.  It is going to have trouble against the run and they adjusted by playing the third LB IMO.  I think the injuries did not allow them to do that as much, but maybe it was by choice. 

25 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Shocking that they have a #1 draft pick for that position and he's on the bench white Tyron is making a mess of it.  We already saw Fashanu in at RT and he looked good in pass protection.  Get him in at LT.  

You think he looked good in pass pro on the right side? I thought he looked ......well like a rookie and needed to go back to the left side . IN A HURRY

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

That is literally why I said strange.  The Jets played Allen and Hall in the backfield together multiple times.  They did it multiple times last night, so I'm not sure why it requires more "creativity."  

Likewise, my point was that the Jets have adjusted to stop the run.  They have played more 3 LB sets.  IMO the price of the injuries is less ability to do that because the secondary was weaker.  I think Clark is known for punishing hits, but he is less the issue than have to cover for backups at CB and nickel.

I have no idea why you are bringing up Ryan's D which was more than a decade ago.  IMO the issue is not that they play "three speedy smurfs + one Ss that is not known for punishing hits."  It's that they play a four man front with two speedy smurfs at LB.  I was listening to some monkeys on the NFL radio network because I had left the radio on the game station last night.  Solomon Wilcotts was saying that if you want the cure for thinking you are always right, do in the NFL because there is an answer for everything.  The Jets D is built to stop the pass.  It is going to have trouble against the run and they adjusted by playing the third LB IMO.  I think the injuries did not allow them to do that as much, but maybe it was by choice. 

Agree mostly about the offense, but only to a point.  HC said they are committed to running the ball, but that's hard to do if the defense knows when the run is coming.  They had a few two back sets and had a few nice outside runs that were well designed, but what seems to work is when they pass on early downs to set-up the run.  They are trying to establish the run with what I see as much more of a passing offensive scheme.  If they want to run first and often they need wholesale changes.  Ones that Rodgers wont like.  The defensive scheme is most certainly there to stop the pass.  They adjust to try to stop the run, but the key is try.  The injury wasn't the real issue last night or vs. the 9'ers 

Granted not all offenses have the horses to push them around on defense, but enough of them do.  

How do you make a roster manned to run 4-2-5 into an effective 43 or 34 when needed ???

You probably cant.  

9 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

You think he looked good in pass pro on the right side? I thought he looked ......well like a rookie and needed to go back to the left side . IN A HURRY

He didn't look that bad.  A first year player for sure, but good enough to be in advance of Smith on the left side.  At this point, even if Fashnu is not there yet, put a blocking sled there or Warren.  Anyone. 

The biggest problem with the jets is that they are totally incapable of having the offense and defense and special teams play well at the same time.  It's been that way for years and years.

If the offense actually shows up and plays well the 'eltie' D plays like garbage and specials as well. (Like last night)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Who cares about stopping the run? Seriously run stopping (as long as you’re not giving up 5 a carry) doesn’t matter. 

Really? When you are gashed for 150 yards nearly every game it does matter and leads to other teams holding on to the ball longer and putting up points. If the jets could run the ball they would be 5-1 or 4-2 today. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The biggest problem with the jets is that they are totally incapable of having the offense and defense and special teams play well at the same time.  It's been that way for years and years.

If the offense actually shows up and plays well the 'eltie' D plays like garbage and specials as well. (Like last night)

it all starts at the very top.  we all know where that is. 

1 minute ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Really? When you are gashed for 150 yards nearly every game it does matter and leads to other teams holding on to the ball longer and putting up points. If the jets could run the ball they would be 5-1 or 4-2 today. 

If the Jets could pass better they’d be 5-1. Run stopping matters only in the sense that a team needs 1 run stop a drive to set the offense back. It’s why for all the “150 a game” we lose by one score.

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

If the Jets could pass better they’d be 5-1. Run stopping matters only in the sense that a team needs 1 run stop a drive to set the offense back. It’s why for all the “150 a game” we lose by one score.

The Jets giving up run yardage means the defense is on the field longer and the other team has the ball longer controlling the clock and Rodgers is sitting on the sidelines. No team wins by giving up 150 yards a game. I think it's pretty obvious if the Jets were running for 150 yards they would be in first place. 

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

On offense:

On defense:

Fire Keith Carter

Bench T Smith, we are losing with him, we can lose without him

Bench Quinnen

Elevate O Fashanu

Trade Reddick and Williams

Cut Zuerlein and Clemons.

• Upvote 1

On offense:
On defense:
You can't fix weight and strength. That is what I see too btw. The reason I say you can't fix it is because when you compensate your going to leave a deficit somewhere.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

The Jets giving up run yardage means the defense is on the field longer and the other team has the ball longer controlling the clock and Rodgers is sitting on the sidelines. No team wins by giving up 150 yards a game. I think it's pretty obvious if the Jets were running for 150 yards they would be in first place. 

Being able to consistently run for 150 and giving up 150 are not the same. And again for all the run stopping woes the Jets hold teams to minimal points and are in position to win every game. It’s just much less important than pass rushing and coverage.

2 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Fire everyone including the owner, that is all.

Right 

The arm chair coaching the fans do is so cringe, the leadership from the top down are perennial losers.

Why would anything change until that problem is fixed?

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Being able to consistently run for 150 and giving up 150 are not the same. And again for all the run stopping woes the Jets hold teams to minimal points and are in position to win every game. It’s just much less important than pass rushing and coverage.

Allen completed 75% of his passes. Good QBs have played well against the Jets. Tua will also be coming back. 

The dline you can’t do much as they’re playing everyone and I guess they could beg to Quinnen to play harder. Sherwood is awful and Mosley will likely be nicked up all season. I think Sauce should be sat down for good but doubtful that happens. Would like to see Echols and Stiggers get reps as they’ll at least pretend to tackle. The safeties just aren’t good.

Offensively you just hope they get on the same page. Zeurlein has to go. 

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The dline you can’t do much as they’re playing everyone and I guess they could beg to Quinnen to play harder. Sherwood is awful and Mosley will likely be nicked up all season. I think Sauce should be sat down for good but doubtful that happens. Would like to see Echols and Stiggers get reps as they’ll at least pretend to tackle. The safeties just aren’t good.

Offensively you just hope they get on the same page. Zeurlein has to go. 

Dude, I get your obsession with these way out takes, but c'mon.  You want to bench Sauce "for good?"  For Stiggers?  Did you notice that Stiggers was active and playing specials, but they ended up playing the Green Goblin Jalen Mills instead?

13 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

It may not be as big a concern as pass rushing and coverage but it's a concern. Good teams don't get gashed in the run game. They also gave up 23 or more points against 3 of the 6 teams they played and the Titans moved the ball also. The defense isn't as good as you think they are. 

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Allen completed 75% of his passes. Good QBs have played well against the Jets. Tua will also be coming back. 

75% for 215 and 3 pts in the second half of a one score game should be a winning performance against the Bills. Heck Allen fumbled in the Red Zone and somehow the Bills got that back. 

• Sympathy 1