Reddick Holdout Over

AbstraKt

3 hours ago, bgivs21 said:

Incorrect. Jets are not paying the 12 mil in fines. 

They gave him incentives in the contract to offset the fines. So Reddick has to come in and perform, he can't mail it in for the rest of season. 

What are those incentives?  Do you actually know what they are?  Or is it simply the Jets are paying him more per game to compensate him.  According to Schefter.

New York has agreed to “waive” over $12MM of fines that Reddick accumulated as a result of the holdout in order to convince the edge defender to report.

47 minutes ago, Biggs said:

What are those incentives?  Do you actually know what they are?  Or is it simply the Jets are paying him more per game to compensate him.  According to Schefter.

The Jets can't waive mandatory fines from the NFL. Would defeat the purpose of "mandatory". Also, Schefter put waive in quotations, which indicates he doesn't mean literally waive them. 

The below quote from Breer should clear this up:

4 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

The Jets can't waive mandatory fines from the NFL. Would kinda defeat the purpose of "mandatory". Also, Schefter put waive quotations, which indicates he doesn't mean literally waive them. 

The below quote from Breer should clear this up for you. It's the same thing I said:

Yea you don’t know what they are.  It could be for reporting and passing a physical.  Let’s wait and see what both sides gave up to get him to report. 

It sounds like he has incentives to make back his lost salary.  The incentives to get him in may not be based on playing metrics.  They are basically paying him back the fines and offering playing incentives to get more.

I could be wrong but I’m skeptical that he has big incentives to get the fine money back.

7 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

He didn’t get an extension. All he got was waiving his fines. Reddick had to save face and salvage his season. It looks like he did so by firing his agent and then taking what the Jets had been offering all along.

but his agent dropped him not the other way around. 

36 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Yea you don’t know what they are.  It could be for reporting and passing a physical.  Let’s wait and see what both sides gave up to get him to report. 

It sounds like he has incentives to make back his lost salary.  The incentives to get him in may not be based on playing metrics.  They are basically paying him back the fines and offering playing incentives to get more.

I could be wrong but I’m skeptical that he has big incentives to get the fine money back.

Dude look at Breers tweet. It literally says it's sack based incentives along with playing time and honors ie all pro, pro bowl. 

It's not to walk in the door. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

Wtf are you talking about. 

Breer laid it out for you. You want to make up some sh*t about the incentives that's fine, doesnt make it reality. 

There are multiple reports that the Jets are covering the fines with a reporting bonus.  He can earn above the remainder of his salary based on incentives.  
Dude, relax will get the real story soon. Breer tweet doesn't really say what you think it says.  Read it carefully. 

• Upvote 1

How it sounds thus far:

It took Reddick firing his agents and then getting no trade interest after that to get him to show up, and will likely result in him losing millions in the process.

He’ll roughly end up with the rest of this year’s salary ($8MM) and that’s it, with his cap hit being ~$6MM higher than what he takes home.

The fines already come off the (remaining) game checks. Reddick will have the chance - via performance incentives - to effectively take home his game checks sans fines. That difference will still come off the Jets’ cap, but just to the degree they’re earned.

Anyway it’s not likely to be plainly $8MM + up to $12MM ($20MM total). It’s $8MM minus the $6MM in fines totals plus as much as $12MM = ~$14MM max (but he’s probably unlikely to hit every incentive - e.g. all-pro - to reach that max but maybe it’s reasonable he’ll hit enough incentives to wipe out $6MM in fines).

Hard to say how much of the fines totals he’ll erase without the dollars-per-incentive details spelled out, but sans details, so far this is what it sounds like to me.

Reddick’s fault primarily: Whole thing would’ve been easier to work out if he’d held in instead of holding out, so his fines have to come off the cap.

JD’s fault in top of that: If he’d granted Reddick permission to seek a trade much earlier, maybe way back then Reddick would’ve seen no one else is knocking his door down, and maybe this could’ve been banged out. Hard to say if that’d have done it, as Reddick hasn’t been acting rationally throughout.

Net: the Jets make the playoffs with Reddick on an under-market contract OR this impasse may have made the difference in 1-2 narrow losses that keep them outside looking in, and then more heads roll in January.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Biggs said:

There are multiple reports that the Jets are covering the fines with a reporting bonus.  He can earn above the remainder of his salary based on incentives.  
Dude, relax will get the real story soon. Breer tweet doesn't really say what you think it says.  Read it carefully. 

I did read it and it does say exactly what it I think it says. There's nothing to decipher. 

Jesus reading comprehension christ 

• Upvote 1

Until we understand the nature of the incentive clauses none of us is in a position to understand which side won, which side lost and to what degree. 

If for example they are "become an all pro" or "get 12 sacks" then i would say that those are almost impossible to reach starting in week 8, 9 or 10 depending on his current level of fitness.  In the case of the 12 sacks, if by some miracle he does average more than a sack a game for the rest of the year then the Jets are the big winners there.  So is Reddick because that kind of a performance will get him paid next year but this year was always about the audition for next year anyway.  It is a pity it took him half a season to understand that.

Right now this looks to me like Reddick caved once he found out that there is ZERO market for his services and that the Jets included some vague language on secret incentives which gives him a fig leaf to pretend that he did not cave.  I think that examining the market for his services left him in no doubt the the ONLY chance he has to get his money after all of this is if he comes in and plays like a maniac for the rest of this year.

I doubt he makes any of the "secret fig leaf" incentives and that he will be working the rest of this year to pay some of those fines.  And yes, risking his health essentially for free in order to do so.

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

The Jets pass rush has been fairly weak. Even Quinnen admitted this week his play has been substandard. So if this guy is in shape and really wants to play can he make a difference. If so it could lead to a better second half of the season. 

The second half of the season won't matter if they lose tonight. 

This is too complicated for me, but it does appear that Woody could end up subjecting the Jets to a higher cap cost for Reddick than if he just showed up.  In other words, if they got Reddick in the door it would have cost the Jets like $14mm in cap, but now it is 11/17 of $14mm, plus potentially in total more than the original $14mm to cover the fines.  

All I know if that maybe this season turns out interesting, but it will be a long time before the Jets are good again.  

17 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Tons of guys with egg on their face today. He's just one of many who are trying to spin this into a win.

If this is how you act when you think you've "won" (despite being unable to enunciate the basis for that belief), I'd hate to see how you behave when you lose.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

This should be good news.  The jets really need a guy who can set the edge.  But, much as I hate to admit it, shows the value of having a top agent.  Rosenhaus most likely gave him the real story instead of stringing him along.

Similar in my line of work. Sometimes setting your client's expectations is as important as shredding the opposition.

• Upvote 1