Smith vs Fashanu

Why do you think Tyron Smith is still starting?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Why isn't Olu starting?

• Coaches/brass treading lightly with future HoF LT
    • Coaches/brass believe that despite struggles, Smith is still the better player right now

I think there should be another option for "Rodgers feels more comfortable with Smith at LT" - I'd imagine if Aaron went to the staff and said Olu needs to play, they'd make the switch. Tyron, even with his struggles, is likely just more consistent at this stage of Olu's career.

10 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Most coaches have been slow to bench declining vets since I've been watching football. Coaches tend to give too much leeway to vets and not enough slack to rookies. 

It's this.

Definitely it's one of the downsides of signing still-starting, bigger-name veterans. When they pan out & have another year or more left in them, that's great. When they don't, it's awkward I'm sure for coaches to bench him.

What they should do is have him fake an injury to save face, but is still ok-enough to list as questionable and activate but not start. It's not a stretch for people to truly believe Smith got injured. 

On the other hand if the reason he's still starting is Fashanu looks lost and keeps getting beaten even worse in practice, then there's that. Another indication that replacing the OLC would've been addition by subtraction. Yeah Jets, I know, but c'mon ALL these higher-rated prospects and veterans can't be this bad on their own can they?

• Upvote 1

i voted for the coaches think smith is the better option but i also think that benching smith may have the effect of losing two players if fashanu doesn't pan out.  smith's contract is for only this season.  should the jets bench him then he's just liable to be a team liability for the rest of the season and if fashanu doesn't respond or gets injured then the jets will be down two players at the position.  and, imo, smith's problems probably are due more than unfamiliarity with the oline blocking assignments and scheme more than anything else.  here's another case where a decjded running attack would help things.

37 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Most coaches have been slow to bench declining vets since I've been watching football. Coaches tend to give too much leeway to vets and not enough slack to rookies. 

this, because it explains the T Smith and Corley situations at once

according to PFF

Tyron Smith is 68.5      - 31 of 64 starting tackles 

Morgan Moses is 60.3 - 55 of 64 starting tackles

Olu Fashanu is 49.0      - 72 of 76 qualifying tackles

we can have the whole PFF is inaccurate convo but I don't understand why anyone thinks Olu is an upgrade over Tyron Smith 

other than blind ass hope 

3 minutes ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

this, because it explains the T Smith and Corley situations at once

or it could be that Tyron Smith a HOF is better than Olu a nobody with the tiniest hands in NFL OT draft history 

and that Corley doesn't understand the basics of being a professional 

I agree that Smith is the stronger, more experienced player... but he's been getting his ass kicked so far. Look around the league, teams are using a 6th OL player pretty regularly. No reason to NOT line up Fashanu as a TE and have another 320lb'er on the line to help out as needed. What they're doing so far hasn't been working. The paramount issue going into the season was "PROTECT THE 40-YEAR-OLD QB". They have failed to do that, sometimes pretty spectacularly. FIX IT with what you have. At least TRY. 

If we are talking about the offensive line, who starts at LT is the least of our problems.   AVT is out.  X. Newman is on IR.  Who next man up?  Do they slide Mitchell from T?  I have never heard of Warren playing G.  Who will be elevated?  Levao, the UFL guy?  Lindstrom?  They just brought him back to the practice squad.

I guess the roster move corresponding to Newman going to IR was putting S Green Goblin Jalen Mills on the active roster.   That is going to be important because the defensive backfield is also going to be pretty light going into this game.  

59 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Correct answer.

The Jets organization, like some here, still think the Jets are in "win now" mode.

Reality will not set in for them until December.

or a loss to the pats.   which seems unlikely imo.  but if the jets are in a bad place like some think they are they will fall.   the pitt game was about as sad of a spectacle i've seen in awhile.

lol @ olu

right now it looks like a wasted pick as they continue to play that scrub smith.