Breaking News: Big Ben in Motorcycle Accident {Merged 5x}

StillerPaul

:eek:

I am totally crushed by this. First and foremost i hope he comes out of this OK. I've heard so many rumors about his condition it's impossible to believe one. The Doc says he's coherent and in serious but stable condition. We'll no more later on. My thoughts and prayers are with him.

I hope he pulls through it alright. I've never had anything against the Steelers organization (and i never wish injuries on people) so i hope he's able to come back and continue to be the STeelers QB for hte next few years.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As you may be able to gather by my screen name, I am a Harley rider, and have taken every safety course to boot. I always ride with full face helmet and at least my leather jacket and long pants.

I had and opportunity to ride a Hayabusa. I took it around the block, brought it back, and said to the owner I dont ever want to try that again. Not only is that bike fast, but it is very 'tippy', even for a sport bike. Unless you are a very experienced advanced rider, the Busa is not for you.

Prayers with Ben for a speedy recovery!

Thanks for the well wishes guys. I was a firm believe in letting the players have their freedom and ride bikes as much as they want. Now i think they should be outlawed by NFL players. Period.

All i hope for is that Ben doesn't have any life threatening injuries. The pictures do not look good at all.

http://www.steelreign.org/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4759&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75

StillerPaul finally posts in the thread & now there's >20 people in here to see what he (finally) says.

You must be loved.

Sorry about your QB bro. He's still in better shape than Pennington if it's any consolation.

I said the same thing to my steeler buddy! I said to look at it this way, Pennington is not your qb and you are the reigning Champs so things could be even worse!

I said the same thing to my steeler buddy! I said to look at it this way, Pennington is not your qb and you are the reigning Champs so things could be even worse!

Worse than the thought of this:?

Charlie Batch, starting QB, 2006 Pittsburgh Steelers

I had and opportunity to ride a Hayabusa. I took it around the block, brought it back, and said to the owner I dont ever want to try that again. Not only is that bike fast, but it is very 'tippy', even for a sport bike. Unless you are a very experienced advanced rider, the Busa is not for you.

by the way it wasn't just a regular Busa, it was modified. :Nuts:

According to a police source, Roethlisberger suffered a broken jaw, broke his left sinus cavity, suffered a 9-inch laceration to the back of his head, lost most of teeth and has severe injuries to his knees from hitting the pavement.

Dammmmn, that sounds nasty.

Hope he makes a full recovery.

Thanks for the well wishes guys. I was a firm believe in letting the players have their freedom and ride bikes as much as they want. Now i think they should be outlawed by NFL players. Period.

All i hope for is that Ben doesn't have any life threatening injuries. The pictures do not look good at all.

Stiller, I heard bits and pieces of a report on Sporting News radio that he also injured both his knees.

This really sucks.

You don't want this crap to happen to any player.

happened in nyc, he wasnt wearing a helmet no word on his condition...
...he was in downtown Pittsburgh...he was not in NYC...check the facts man. Hope he has a speedy recovery. He wasn't hurt to bad but it is serious anytime you have injury to your head. God Bless him and get well.

I hope he gets well. But this is all so unnecessary. He has zero business being on a rice bike(or any motorcyle, really), and even less so without a helmet.Did these knuckleheads learn anything form Kellen Jr.? If he's done or cannot play for the season, the Steelers should try to void his contract or not pay him for blatant stupidity.

Coming to all NFL contracts-motorcycle clauses, like they already have for skiing and other dangerous activities.

in florida, NOBODY wears helmets. If you grew up in a helmet state, then that seems to be the norm. if you grew up in a nonhelmet state, the thought of wearing one is nuts

im all for safety, but not wearing is very comfortable and earthy. the problem is....well you know

in florida, NOBODY wears helmets. If you grew up in a helmet state, then that seems to be the norm. if you grew up in a nonhelmet state, the thought of wearing one is nuts

im all for safety, but not wearing is very comfortable and earthy. the problem is....well you know

yep, easiest way to get in touch with nature is to face plant into a tree at 80 mph.

yep, easiest way to get in touch with nature is to face plant into a tree at 80 mph.

Or even hit a moving vehicle at 35 MPH as Ben did, before he careened off the bike, onto the hood of the car & then into the passenger side front windshield; and then falling onto the street.

I hope he's ok - what a terrible injury!

Startin' to breathe again. ESPN said a little while ago that we dodged a bullet with Ben and he should be healed within a few weeks. Gawd i hope thats correct.

head_ptr.gif

Roethlisberger seriously injured

By Jill King Greenwood and and Karen Roebuck

TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Monday, June 12, 2006

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is in serious but stable condition and underwent surgery following a serious head injury he suffered this morning when his motorcycle collided with a car on Second Avenue near the 10th Street Bridge, police said.

Roethlisberger lost most of his teeth, fractured his left sinus cavity bone, suffered a nine-inch laceration to the back of his head and a broken jaw, and injured both of his knees when he hit the ground, police said.

"He is right now in the (operating room) undergoing some surgery from injuries he received in this accident today," said

Dr. Larry Jones, chief of trauma and burns at Mercy Hospital, Uptown. "He was talking to me before he left for the OR. He's coherent. He's making sense. He knows what happened."

Roethlisberger, 24, who was not wearing a helmet, collided with a Chrysler New Yorker at 11:15 a.m. and was thrown off his motorcycle, flying head-first into the car's windshield "with a pretty good force," said a veteran city police officer.

Roethlisberger was talking and moving his arms and legs after the accident.

The car, which has Maine license plates, was heading west on Second Avenue and was turning left onto the 10th Street Bridge. Roethlisberger was driving east on Second Avenue riding a Suzuki Hayabusa and collided with the car at the intersection of the bridge and the Armstrong Tunnels.

The driver of the New Yorker, Martha Fleishman, 62, who maintains residences in Maine and Squirrel Hill, escaped serious injury, police said.

"She really feels terrible about what happened, and we certainly wish him a speedy recovery," said her husband, Martin Fleishman, who declined further comment.

Roethlisberger, who led the Steelers to a Super Bowl championship this year, slammed into the windshield, rolled over the car and landed on the pavement, striking his head again, said a woman who witnessed the accident.

The witness, who declined to give her name, asked Roethlisberger several times if he was OK.

He eventually replied, "My name is Ben."

He asked: "Where am I?"

"You're at the Armstrong Tunnel," the witness said.

"What city is that in?" he said.

"Pittsburgh," the woman replied.

Roethlisberger fell silent for about a minute and then tried to stand up.

"I'm OK," he said.

"No you're not," said the woman, who instructed him to stay still.

Pittsburgh homicide detectives are investigating the accident, which is standard procedure when critical injuries are involved, said city police Lt. Kevin Kraus.

Roethlisberger's 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa, which is named after a Japanese bird of prey, was totaled. The 170-horsepower bike, which weighs 500 pounds fully loaded, was targeted by law enforcement agencies worldwide after its 1998 debut because it could reach a top speed of 189 mph.

Suzuki Motorcycles of North America gave Roethlisberger the bike as part of a promotional deal in exchange for his appearance at several area Suzuki dealerships, including Andrews Cycle in Salem, Ohio, where he picked up the motorcycle last summer. Andrews' sales staff declined comment.

The motorcycle is popular among first-time buyers, said Steve Stiller, a salesman at Northgate Motorcycles in Cranberry, Butler County.

Roethlisberger said previously he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding motorcycles. Pennsylvania's 35-year-old law requiring helmets to be worn was amended in 2003 to make helmets optional, he noted.

In May 2005, Steelers coach Bill Cowher lectured Roethlisberger about the dangers of riding without a helmet.

"He talked about being a risk-taker, and I'm not really a risk-taker. I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful," Roethlisberger said at the time. "I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe."

In May 2005, Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. tore knee ligaments in a motorcycle accident and was lost for the season.

Roethlisberger continued to ride after Winslow's accident, and that angered Terry Bradshaw, who quarterbacked the Steelers to four Super Bowl victories during the 1970s.

Visiting the Steelers' training camp last summer, Bradshaw remarked: "Ride it when you retire."

Earlier this year, Roethlisberger led the Steelers to the NFL title, giving the team the fifth Super Bowl win they had been chasing since 1980.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_457685.html

This is definately not a "WALK AWAY FROM" easily injury. He'll be out for a while...

Alot of it is speculation thus far. There are tons of reports out there with a wide range of injuries. When they finish operating we should know exactly what injuries he sustained.

Thanks again for the well wishes. I wouldn't wish this on any player.

Alot of it is speculation thus far. There are tons of reports out there with a wide range of injuries. When they finish operating we should know exactly what injuries he sustained.

Thanks again for the well wishes. I wouldn't wish this on any player.

sorry to hear about this stiller, i'm optimistic that he'll be ok however.

Notice how the lady driver hails from patsfan country. I'm gonna have my people do a google search & trace bloodlines & stuff for anything belichecky.towncar from maine on 2nd ave,where ben always rides????

somethings fishy

winslow was dragged thru the media mud for being an idiot. I'll be curious to see if ithere's gonna be a lotta Benbashing?

I don't wish this kinda stuff on anyone & I hope for a speedy recovery so Cowher can kill him

sorry to hear about this stiller, i'm optimistic that he'll be ok however.

Notice how the lady driver hails from patsfan country. I'm gonna have my people do a google search & trace bloodlines & stuff for anything belichecky.towncar from maine on 2nd ave,where ben always rides????

somethings fishy

winslow was dragged thru the media mud for being an idiot. I'll be curious to see if ithere's gonna be a lotta Benbashing?

I don't wish this kinda stuff on anyone & I hope for a speedy recovery so Cowher can kill him

Thank you Joewillie. Youre a damn good guy. Ben bashing has already begun in SteelerNation. You'd be surprised at the amount of Steeler fans bashing him for his choice not to wear a helmet. I've already been in a few spats over it with some. Bottom line for me is that it was legal and Ben's choice not to wear it. So who am i to criticize the guy for choosing not to wear it in hindsight? I choose to smoke and when i die of heart complications i sure hope none of my friends show up at my funeral to remind folks how stupid i was. ;)

Anyways, i am getting a pretty good vibe that the injuries can and will be healed within a few weeks or so. And yea, it's my hope that the young man NEVER rides again. He's too valuable to the Steelers and his career is too valuable to risk.

Heres a link to the latest from KDKA if yin'z are interested.

http://kdka.com/video/?id=17175@kdka.dayport.com

I hope Ben is okay. By all accounts he is a good guy. A real good guy. And we all know what kind of football player he is. Not wearing a helmet is crazy IMO. Legal or not. Regardless though it is even crazier when you consider the millions that he has on the line.

But if these accounts are true and Ben really did lose all his teeth, well that is just bad. I fear he will forever be an outcast in Pittsburgh.

Let's hope they welcome him back with open arms.

Thank you Joewillie. Youre a damn good guy. Ben bashing has already begun in SteelerNation. You'd be surprised at the amount of Steeler fans bashing him for his choice not to wear a helmet. I've already been in a few spats over it with some. Bottom line for me is that it was legal and Ben's choice not to wear it. So who am i to criticize the guy for choosing not to wear it in hindsight? I choose to smoke and when i die of heart complications i sure hope none of my friends show up at my funeral to remind folks how stupid i was. ;)

Anyways, i am getting a pretty good vibe that the injuries can and will be healed within a few weeks or so. And yea, it's my hope that the young man NEVER rides again. He's too valuable to the Steelers and his career is too valuable to risk.

That's the point a lot of folks are missing.

He has an obligation to the Steelers organization and to the fans.

Why stuff like this is not written into a players contract, I'll never know.

Some people seem to think they are supermen- nothing can and will harm them- I do not know what would make any one not wear a helmet on a bike- they even have a law that if on a regular bicycle you have to wear a helmet. Hopefully he recovers and shakes some sense into him

Steelers PC supposedly coming up soon on ESPNNEWS

They are reporting he has a broken jaw, broken nose, 9 inch laceration in his head, many missing and chipped teeth and minor knee injuries. I think Ben dodged a huge bullet here. From what i hear, he should heal up within a few weeks or so.

Archived