Breaking News: Big Ben in Motorcycle Accident {Merged 5x}

StillerPaul

Hey..... after the Winslow thing, and the much publicized pro-helmet Cohwer meeting with Rothlisberger..... whether you like it or not, he's going to take some serious heat or this. And ya know what? He deserves it.

I bought into his no helmet arguement .... when he said he rode cruisers. But, to be on a rice burner, in a crowded downtown area of a major city..... he's gonna get serious heat, aside from possibly being disfigured. That was plain stupid.

He's 23..... and thinks he's indestructable, or at least used to think that. Bad chit happens to everyone else. Well, now he is everyone else. He's lucky he's alive.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You mean like the pic in your avatar?;)

Yup! :D I was a crazy, irresponsible fool in elemetary school!

Seriously though - I've heard too many sad stories about bike accidents. I have a dear friend who lost his best friend to a bike accident. I know of woman who died in a bike accident and recently a guy at work lost his best friend - leaving behind a wife and three kids ages 5, 3 and 4 months. A bike can be plenty fun - but you have to be "on" everytime you hit the roadways. Respect the road, always be aware, be safe and don't do anything dumb.

Steelers PC supposedly coming up soon on ESPNNEWS

They are reporting he has a broken jaw, broken nose, 9 inch laceration in his head, many missing and chipped teeth and minor knee injuries. I think Ben dodged a huge bullet here. From what i hear, he should heal up within a few weeks or so.

NOW he fits in perfectly in PITTS...

from http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06164/697828-66.stm

Multiple injuries, few answers for Roethlisberger

Four surgeons work for 7 hours to repair facial fractures

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

By Michael A. Fuoco, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Doctors successfully repaired what they said were multiple facial fractures suffered in a motorcycle accident yesterday by Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, but no one would say how his injuries would affect his ability to play.

The 24-year-old quarterback, who was not wearing a helmet, was in serious but stable condition at Mercy Hospital after undergoing seven hours of surgery performed by a team of four surgeons.

Mr. Roethlisberger was injured in an accident at 11:10 a.m. as his motorcycle collided with a car on Second Avenue near the 10th Street Bridge. Witnesses said his head hit the car's windshield and then struck the pavement.

Dr. Daniel Pituch, chief of Mercy's division of oral and maxillofacial surgery, said Mr. Roethlisberger underwent surgery for multiple facial fractures after being evaluated by the surgical team.

"All of the fractures were successfully repaired," he said.

Dr. Pituch would not elaborate further on the quarterback's head injuries. But he indicated that the quarterback did not suffer any other serious injuries.

"His brain, spine, chest and abdomen appear to be without serious injury and there are no other confirmed injuries at this time," Dr. Pituch said.

Dr. Pituch said he did not expect Mr. Roethlisberger's condition to change overnight.

Dr. Harry W. Sell Jr., chairman of surgery at Mercy, said the quarterbacks' family requested that no other information be released about his injuries and doctors declined to answer any questions at a briefing last night.

But Dr. Sell relayed a word of thanks from his family members.

"The Roethlisberger family extends their gratitude for the support, prayers and well wishes that have been pouring into Mercy Hospital," Dr. Sell said.

Although his injuries were serious, onlookers said it could have been much worse. Witnesses said he twice struck his head -- on the car's windshield and then, after flying over the car, on the roadway.

Indeed, the mood at Steelers headquarters later in the day was "reserved optimism." Steelers team president Art Rooney II said he was praying that "Ben's going to make it all right" after arriving last night at Mercy Hospital.

An earlier statement from Mr. Rooney said everyone in the organization was concerned and that, "So far, we have been encouraged by the early reports from the medical team at Mercy Hospital."

Before going into surgery, Dr. Larry Jones of Mercy said the quarterback was talking, was coherent and was cognizant of the situation.

One Steelers source said Mr. Roethlisberger was in surgery for a broken jaw, an injury that can take approximately seven weeks to heal. The Steelers season starts in 12 weeks.

Steelers fans across the region shared concern about the quarterback's condition while debating his judgment in not wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle, especially since he wears one for his occupation.

Several fans showed up at the hospital last night to hold a vigil, complete with lawn chairs and a miniature charcoal grill.

A handful of Steelers players also came to the hospital, including backup quarterback Charlie Batch. Coach Bill Cowher came to the hospital about 9:15 p.m. but did not speak to reporters.

The accident scene left little doubt that the late-morning accident in the Bluff involving Mr. Roethlisberger's motorcycle and a Chrysler New Yorker had been horrific. Metal was twisted like licorice. Windshield glass shattered. Blood pooled on the pavement.

In the moments after the accident, onlookers shook their heads in concern. All they could do was hope for the best for the anonymous motorcyclist.

And then reporters arrived and spread the word that the accident victim was someone they all knew. Those who had been there were stunned. Others, who heard the news from the media, made a pilgrimage to the scene where the severely damaged car, demolished cycle, a red hooded sweatshirt, and blood stains gave silent testimony to what had occurred.

Mr. Roethlisberger was riding a 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa motorcycle outbound on Second Avenue when a 1996 silver New Yorker driven in the opposite direction by Martha Fleishman, 62, of Squirrel Hill, attempted to turn left onto the 10th Street Bridge in front of the motorcycle.

Mr. Roethlisberger smashed his cycle into the car near the front passenger side. His head crashed into the car's windshield, shattering it and leaving a 6-inch hole. Witnesses said he flew over the car and landed on his head on the pavement. A pool of blood marked the spot long after Mr. Roethlisberger was rushed by ambulance to nearby Mercy Hospital.

A woman who declined to give her name said she saw the accident and ran onto the roadway to help the victim. She didn't know it was the Steelers quarterback until a reporter told her about a half hour later.

"That was him? Oh, my! He did say his name was 'Ben,' " she said, recalling that the injured man knew his name but was so disoriented he didn't know the city he was in. "I told him to lie down. He kept trying to get up."

Others who saw him likewise didn't recognize him because of the injuries he suffered and the large amount of blood that covered his face and head.

Among them was Sandra Ford, a Homewood writer and artist, who had just finished teaching a writing class at the Allegheny County Jail and was waiting for a bus on the Armstrong Tunnels side of Second Avenue. Attracted by the loud exhaust, she noticed a motorcycle approaching from her right ridden by a rugged-looking white man with curly hair.

"He was sailing, like he was enjoying the ride. He was going at a good clip but wasn't going overly fast," Ms. Ford said.

She said as he passed her, she noticed a car turning left in front of him. She said she expected the motorcycle to slow down or even have to slam on the brakes but was blocked from further view by cars traveling inbound. And then she heard a "crunching sound" and saw the motorcyclist fly over the car.

"He was a like a doll someone threw up into the air," Ms. Ford said. "I ran to the scene and he was lying on his back and wasn't moving. I thought he was dead."

And then the victim tried to get up but was calmed down by the unidentified witness and a man who tended to him until medics arrived shortly thereafter. She said she spoke with Mrs. Fleishman who she said told her, "I was watching him approach but he was not looking at me."

Ms. Ford caught her bus but couldn't get the accident out of her mind.

"I felt so badly for that guy. Two seconds can change your life," she said. "And then I get home and turn on the TV and find out it's Ben Roethlisberger and I was really upset then."

I hope Ben is okay. By all accounts he is a good guy. A real good guy. And we all know what kind of football player he is. Not wearing a helmet is crazy IMO. Legal or not. Regardless though it is even crazier when you consider the millions that he has on the line.

But if these accounts are true and Ben really did lose all his teeth, well that is just bad. I fear he will forever be an outcast in Pittsburgh.

Let's hope they welcome him back with open arms.

actually in Western Pa. he will fit in with no teeth

"I felt so badly for that guy. Two seconds can change your life," she said. "And then I get home and turn on the TV and find out it's Ben Roethlisberger and I was really upset then."

See? If you are just a regular run-of-the-mill dumbass then people may feel a little sorry for you. But if you are a famous dumbass people will get "really upset" then.

Several fans showed up at the hospital last night to hold a vigil, complete with lawn chairs and a miniature charcoal grill.

What better way to pray for the health of a guy than to grill up some t-bone steaks and some hot dogs.

Damn.... Last year, Ben said that he was conservative and always riding in group.... Now he rode solo on the world's fastest motorcycle... Oh boy, now i think Leinart's story with hollywood is no longer hazardous.

With all detected injuries you or press release mentioned, wearing helmet wont make any difference.

I am no expertise of motorcycle but i look at design of sporty bike and HD bike and I think HD bike is safer.. I have no balls to ride with my head at the level of barhandlers..

Wont surprised if that banned PA on wearing helmet will be lifted.

Ben Honey,This soup is good! ,but why are the potatoes so hard and small?

oh Ma,Those are Just my teeth don't Worry Ma just push them to the side.

But,If you find another one ,save it for me so I can autograph it for the Jack Lambert toothless Foundation........Thanks Ma,so does this mean that colgate won't be calling?

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.I.MikeBleedsGreen

Stiller pual was just found on the side of his house in his driveway ,knock out cold, next to a tricycle trying to reenact what just happened to big ben.

His Private area is not doing to well but he is Stable:wink:

POTW NOM

UUHH.......,Can I do that,NOM my self hahaha

I'll nominate ya for POTW. Good one. Sorry i missed it last night. Had a little trouble keeping my wits. ;)

but , MOST people have a license,, just another example of 'who me obey laws?'

I think Ben will be honest and open and admit he made some horrible mistakes during this whole ordeal. He is pretty good about holding himself accountable. Dude has great character.

Archived