What was the best move by the Jets FO, ever?

Darth Vader

It has to be Namath. Has to be. Parcells was nice but the end result wasn't there. It certainly wasn't the players they signed in the USFL Expansion Draft.

If it isn't Namath then it is moving to the Meadowlands. Clean bathrooms are important. ;)

Picking up Chris Burkett.

Awesome, awesome move.

Really it was the 1977 draft in total:

1 (4, 4) - Marvin Powell, USC

2 (5, 33) - Wesley Walker, California

3 (16, 72) - Tank Marshall, Texas A&M

4 (5, 89) - Scott Dierking, Purdue

5 (4, 116) - Perry Griggs, Troy State

5 (17, 129) - Gary Gregory, Baylor

6 (5, 144) - Joe Klecko, Temple

7 (1, 168) - Charlie White, Bethune-Cookman

7 (4, 171) - Bob Grupp, Duke

7 (28, 195) - Kevin Long, South Carolina

8 (5, 200) - Dan Alexander, Louisiana State

8 (15, 210) - Ed Thompson, Ohio State

9 (4, 227) - Matt Robinson, Georgia

10 (5, 256) - John Hennessy, Michigan

11 (28, 307) - Dave Butterfield, Nebraska

12 (5, 312) - Phil Gargis, Auburn

12 (6, 313) - Dave Conrad, Maryland

I don't know if you can find a better draft in total for the team, with value and what it produced.

Picking up Chris Burkett.

Awesome, awesome move.

Really it was the 1977 draft in total:

1 (4, 4) - Marvin Powell, USC

2 (5, 33) - Wesley Walker, California

3 (16, 72) - Tank Marshall, Texas A&M

4 (5, 89) - Scott Dierking, Purdue

5 (4, 116) - Perry Griggs, Troy State

5 (17, 129) - Gary Gregory, Baylor

6 (5, 144) - Joe Klecko, Temple

7 (1, 168) - Charlie White, Bethune-Cookman

7 (4, 171) - Bob Grupp, Duke

7 (28, 195) - Kevin Long, South Carolina

8 (5, 200) - Dan Alexander, Louisiana State

8 (15, 210) - Ed Thompson, Ohio State

9 (4, 227) - Matt Robinson, Georgia

10 (5, 256) - John Hennessy, Michigan

11 (28, 307) - Dave Butterfield, Nebraska

12 (5, 312) - Phil Gargis, Auburn

12 (6, 313) - Dave Conrad, Maryland

I don't know if you can find a better draft in total for the team, with value and what it produced.

Ed Thompson in the 8th was a reach. I remember I was in the playground and this kid next to me blasted the pick. Said he was a 12th round value. Man that kid was smart. I wish I got his name. All I remember is that he was wearing a Riggins jersey.

Ed Thompson in the 8th was a reach. I remember I was in the playground and this kid next to me blasted the pick. Said he was a 12th round value. Man that kid was smart. I wish I got his name. All I remember is that he was wearing a Riggins jersey.

Was there a rotund little boy, snatching pot out of other kids' pockets, next to him?

I would have to say it was Sonny Werblin offering Joe Namath $400K. Ultimately out bidding the St. Loius Cardinals and the NY Giants. Which subsequentley led to the Jets only Super Bowl.

Shrewd, shrewd move, I agree. BUT, they blew all of teh others out of teh water by simple money. And there was backing from NBC and other entities.

I don't know if simply throwing money around can be justified as "best move". If so, the Yankees may actually actually be considered a smart club. We now how that is.

To me, best move must involve strategy and cunning. And i know that the Namath deal did that, but money was the underlying aspect to it. And gamesmanship. Close call.

Heck, turning Matt Robinson into a number #1 pick through Denver was the most downright shrewd move this organization has made, on its own. THAT was a heist.

Unfortunately, we did not parlay the ultimate pick as well.

That is why I nominated that '77 draft. It did so many things for the club.

-- some funny ones.

although Namath won us The Bowl, and that can't be diminished -- ok I just shot my argument down -- his performance on the field was inconsistent. In fact, how many winnign seasons did Namath have?

Curtis Martin has set record after record at a position just as competitive as QB, more records than Namath. He's provided a consistency that we can't overlook, although when he's gone, we are sure remember.

So interesting, Namath and Martin couldn't be more of opposites, personality-wise.

I liked how in the mid-70's they were drafting these smart LBers(some Penn Staters) Buttle,Mehl,Crabel and Clifton were all very Patriot-esque and would all fit in today's game just like Ted Johnson and Bruschi ya know?

-- some funny ones.

although Namath won us The Bowl, and that can't be diminished -- ok I just shot my argument down -- his performance on the field was inconsistent. In fact, how many winnign seasons did Namath have?

Curtis Martin has set record after record at a position just as competitive as QB, more records than Namath. He's provided a consistency that we can't overlook, although when he's gone, we are sure remember.

So interesting, Namath and Martin couldn't be more of opposites, personality-wise.

Martin made a career of stinking putting up stats that amounted to nothing for the team. They are opposites.

LOL-it was right there in your face like a hanging curveball and ya couldn't resist LOL GJ DNA

I'm surprised no one else jumped on that earlier. It's like finding a parking spot in the Greenwich Village, you just can't believe it's still there when you see it.

I'm surprised no one else jumped on that earlier. It's like finding a parking spot in the Greenwich Village, you just can't believe it's still there when you see it.

Spend a lot of time in Village do you?

One question, were you alive to watch Namath play?

If not, how can you make the claim that he was "inconsistent"?

Joe Namath put on the most amazing passing display I ever saw in my life that day against the Colts he was like 15-23 496 yrds and 6 TDs-FIFTEEN COMPLETIONS!!The second best might have been Bart Starr in the 2nd Super Bowl he was almost perfect that day like 22-25 something sick like that and two drops I think...Namath was very consistent when he had time or when he wasn't injured he was GREAT Tex is right-if ya never saw him you will never really know-he was like the Mickey Mantle of football-in more than one way

Namath was very consistent when he had time or when he wasn't injured he was GREAT Tex is right-if ya never saw him you will never really know.

You had to see Namath play to realize just how good he was.

He had the quickest release, tighest spiral and unbelievable, downfield accuracy.

None of these 5-10 yard dump offs, he was throwing rockets 30-40 yards downfield on every passing play.

No one, and I mean no one, threw a better football than Joe Namath.

The Namath signing. Sonny Werblin had to spend a then outrageous 400M to keep him from going to the NFL. It led to the AFL being reognized as being on an equal footing with the NFL after the 1969 Super Bowl.

For those of you too young to have seen a gimpy one legged quarterback play -dont look at the stats, they don't tell the story. His completion percentages weren't the best but his usual pass was 20 yards downfield , incredible release and velocity, the consumate leader.

Archived