What was the best move by the Jets FO, ever?

Darth Vader

You had to see Namath play to realize just how good he was.

He had the quickest release, tighest spiral and unbelievable, downfield accuracy.

None of these 5-10 yard dump offs, he was throwing rockets 30-40 yards downfield on every passing play.

No one, and I mean no one, threw a better football than Joe Namath.

I remember before Super Bowl III, Vince Lombardi saying that Namath could throw the ball into a teacup from 50 yards.

Not only could he throw, but, in spite of his image, he was one of the toughest football players I've ever seen. He would hold the ball forever, take massive hits just as he was completing a long pass, and then get up for the next play. And do this not just once a game, but MANY times in a game, every game. Also remember that he was the first to throw for 4000 yards, and he did it in a 14-game season.

Not many people remember that Namath was recruited by Alabama as an option QB, and until his senior season when he hurt his knee, was an excellent runner.

There were some great QBs in the AFL in 1968, but none of them could have won that game against the Colts. Namath called 80 percent of the plays from the line of scrimmage, and executed flawlessly.

Look, I'm not going to say he was the best QB ever, I'll leave that for the Unitas-Marino-and-others discussion. But I will say that Joe Namath had more impact on the NFL than any of them.

Listening to you guys talk about how Namath played the game really makes me wish I had been born a decade earlier, no wait, I still would only have been three by then so make it a little earlier. Seriously though, sounds like he was fun to watch during the 3 yards and a cloud of dust days of football.

namath. not only for what he did for the jets but the fact that without the bravado, "the guarantee," and SBIII the merger could've taken place years later, if at all. the nfl lost namath to this upstart afl and then he BEAT their heavily-favored champ-- probably the most important game in sports' history because of everything it set off and the powerhouse the nfl has become today.

He had the quickest release, tighest spiral and unbelievable, downfield accuracy.

None of these 5-10 yard dump offs, he was throwing rockets 30-40 yards downfield on every passing play.

I agree-the closest I ever saw was Marino but Namath had an even better touch than Marino.Dan took pride in wailing it in there even when it wasn't necessary to do so and then when a receiver couldn't handle it he'd tear them a new one in front of God and everybody.It was almost like he was mad his stats weren't going to look as good.That's the sense I always got from Marino-I never saw Joe do that EVER you know also there were no roughing the QB or in the grasp rules and Namath took some brutal shots from monsters from the likes of guys like Ben Davison who broke his jaw once.

I agree-the closest I ever saw was Marino but Namath had an even better touch than Marino.Dan took pride in wailing it in there even when it wasn't necessary to do so and then when a receiver couldn't handle it he'd tear them a new one in front of God and everybody.It was almost like he was mad his stats weren't going to look as good.That's the sense I always got from Marino-I never saw Joe do that EVER you know also there were no roughing the QB or in the grasp rules and Namath took some brutal shots from monsters from the likes of guys like Ben Davison who broke his jaw once.

great post,,,

Marino was great but I always had same take as you,,Marino a little too much 'ME' oriented and Namath the ultimate 'TEAM' player

great post,,,

Marino was great but I always had same take as you,,Marino a little too much 'ME' oriented and Namath the ultimate 'TEAM' player

Marino pretty much ran the Fins (and Shula's) offense after getting them to the SB in his second year and you know what SJ-his "me-first" attitude never gave the Fins a thousand yard rusher until very late in his career-it was always about TD passes and stats with him to the detriment of the team.Namath had NO problem handing off to Boozer and Snell and Mathis-he was a team guy first unlike Dan the man(ahem)

Plus Joe was a major poon hound. I think he ended up with more notches on his belt than passing yards. :cheers:

you know what, if you're willloing to sign off on Namath, then I'll concur. I amend my hereby amend my statement ablout Martin being the best FO move, ever.

The thing that scares me the most about Namath is how Tx defends him. I never saw him play so I can't really say either way. But if Tx is defending him that just seems wrong.

Come on Max, you know I am the most objective poster on this message board.;)

Plus Joe was a major poon hound. I think he ended up with more notches on his belt than passing yards. :cheers:

yea no doubt Craig, Joe Willie was a world class swordsman-I'd love to run into him down here (he lives in Jupiter) to ask him some questions.I found out a couple of months back that I was working with his daughter in a Wellington bar and din't even know it until just recently.She was a bartender at a bar I was playing

The fact that Tx said that gave me goose bumps. I was too young to see Namath live, so I'll take Tx's word for it.

Since Namath brought the only ring to the Jets, that is the best FO move ever.

Archived