Over/Under on Curtis 2006 yardage

SouthernJet

my reason for under is that I think Mangini will decide after a 2-6 start that its time to play some younger blood,,

8 starts gives him about 400 yards,, he gets a goodbye start in the cold last game of year and piles up about 76 yards,,we call it a yankee doodle goodbye

Don't let your hatred for the guy get in the way of your overall judgement

To say 500 yards is even more foolish than I thought you could be, and we all know how stupid you can be

A fair over/under for Curtis should be 1000 yards

A fair number of blow jobs administered by you to David Wright this season....well that's about 500

To say 500 yards is even more foolish than I thought you could be, and we all know how stupid you can be

A fair number of blow jobs administered by you to David Wright this season....well that's about 500

Mods,,

is this the kind of meaness you were referring to?

I am appalled by this sophmoric name calling

yea you're right Jon-he'll rip off a couple of 130 yard games at least giving him 14 others to easily beat the mark

By the way I luv CM,,

a true warrior,,

You have to put a number down as a O/U,, and 500 is fair on a team that will obviously be making 'lets play future player' decisions as the season wears on,,remember, we dont have a coach anymore who is basing decisions on 'ex-player' roots,,he is doing whats best for futire of team,, if Mangini feels sittin CM will help 2007 Jets and maybe cost them being 5-11 instead of 7-9 he will probably sit CM and start some youth,,

somepeople cant seem to release thier anger over jettisoned ex-coaches

Under, but approaching 500. But I would also expect Martin will be a lot more involved in the passing game, especially if Pennington is the opening day starter. 50+ receptions, 500+ yards receiving. The rushing game overall will be better.

You guys really seem to forget how old C Martin really is. He's only 3 months younger than Marshall Faulk, who has now been nearly useless for 4 years. He is 4 months older than Eddie George who is now retired and useless. He's a year older than Steven Davis, who as a starter couldn't even get 600 yards rushing. He is 5 months older than Priest Holmes who hasn't been able to stay healthy for the last 2 years and is likely facing the end of his career. On top of his age, he has carried the ball more times than just about any RB in modern day football. He has suffered numerous injuries to his ankles and knees. He suffered his first injury that actually cost him serious playing time just last year at age 32.

Listen, I love Curtis Martin. He has been my favorite player for the past 8 years and he will be in the HOF on the first ballot. He is also a true professional of the game, and he is a role model for all players in the league and fans alike. But the end of a RB's career does not come gracefully. They rarely walk off the field on a high note. What you usually see is an old man who is merely a shell of himself taking a pounding on the field and producing at a level that pales in comparison to his prime. I do think Martin will break the 500 yard mark this year, but it will not be much more than that. He will be lucky to amass more than 750. But there is no way he'll have over 1000 on a team with 2 rookie lineman , a questionable QB, and a likelyhood of playing from behind in numerous games. I love Curtis to death, but I'm prepared to see him go out in the usual unsplendid fashion of all once-great RB's.

I think it has a LOT to do with the fitness of the OL, not curtis. I've been busy the last several months and frankly don't have any idea how the OL compares to last year so I don't know. I'm kinda surprised that in 2 pages nobody's taken the OL into account.

But if he's the same guy and the Line is worse, under.

Oh, and if defenses know our qb can't pass... significantly under

Over 500 in his sleep. Less than 1000 though. If Martin only gets 10 carries per game, and has a low YPC of 3.5, that puts him at 560 yards. Barring an injury, I don't see any chance he could be under 500. The Jets should have over 400 running plays this year. That would leave more than another 240 carries to get spread out elsewhere. I think Martin will get 200 carries this year, and his YPC should be better than 3.5. He'll have 500 yards by week 10.

Not starting? For who? It's not like we have Lamont backing him up. Cedric Houston is not the "future of the team." I think it's a little premature to think a 5'8" rookie is going to unseat him as the starter.

is Blaylock out of the mix?

I do think Martin will break the 500 yard mark this year, but it will not be much more than that. He will be lucky to amass more than 750. But there is no way he'll have over 1000 on a team with 2 rookie lineman , a questionable QB, and a likelyhood of playing from behind in numerous games. .

sort of my thinkin Booz,, I just thought 750 ormore was too high for the over/under discussion point,,

I think it has a LOT to do with the fitness of the OL, not curtis. I've been busy the last several months and frankly don't have any idea how the OL compares to last year so I don't know. I'm kinda surprised that in 2 pages nobody's taken the OL into account.

But if he's the same guy and the Line is worse, under.

Oh, and if defenses know our qb can't pass... significantly under

you kidding me Jerry not only have we been assessing the O-line-we're so friggin bored we've been looking up kickers stats the last few days taking it ALL into account

You guys really seem to forget how old C Martin really is. He's only 3 months younger than Marshall Faulk, who has now been nearly useless for 4 years. He is 4 months older than Eddie George who is now retired and useless. He's a year older than Steven Davis, who as a starter couldn't even get 600 yards rushing. He is 5 months older than Priest Holmes who hasn't been able to stay healthy for the last 2 years and is likely facing the end of his career. On top of his age, he has carried the ball more times than just about any RB in modern day football. He has suffered numerous injuries to his ankles and knees. He suffered his first injury that actually cost him serious playing time just last year at age 32.

Listen, I love Curtis Martin. He has been my favorite player for the past 8 years and he will be in the HOF on the first ballot. He is also a true professional of the game, and he is a role model for all players in the league and fans alike. But the end of a RB's career does not come gracefully. They rarely walk off the field on a high note. What you usually see is an old man who is merely a shell of himself taking a pounding on the field and producing at a level that pales in comparison to his prime. I do think Martin will break the 500 yard mark this year, but it will not be much more than that. He will be lucky to amass more than 750. But there is no way he'll have over 1000 on a team with 2 rookie lineman , a questionable QB, and a likelyhood of playing from behind in numerous games. I love Curtis to death, but I'm prepared to see him go out in the usual unsplendid fashion of all once-great RB's.

Hammer, meet nail.Running backs fall off a cliff production-wise at Martin's age, that is, the few that are still playing at this age. If he were to rush for over 1000 yards at his age, it would be unprecedented in NFL history, save John Riggins, who was a totally diffeent kind of player than Martin. When Martin gets that size and run over ability like Riggins, let me know. And Riggins had 2 seasons off mid-career due to strikes and holdouts. The reality is there isn't any growing old gracefully at the position. The best you can hope for is Martin shifting to more of a passing down guy and the bulk of the carries spread among Blaylock and Houston.

I think CuMar will rush for over 1,600 yards.

After all, he led the entire NFL in rushing 2 years ago.

You forget you and Savage picked Dillon as the best back in the division last pre-season.

It was odd to see Dillon fall off the face of the earth 1 yr younger than Martin with all that less mileage on his legs that you kept telling us about.

You forget you and Savage picked Dillon as the best back in the division last pre-season.

It was odd to see Dillon fall off the face of the earth 1 yr younger than Martin with all that less mileage on his legs that you kept telling us about.

yikes, that was a good ole fashioned 'i remember what you said' beetch slappin

what if he isnt starting by week 8?

at 2-6 it might happen,,

I think Martin is the best they have for this year.

I don't think Mangini is going to be a guy who is going to have the QB throwing the football all over the field. I think (or should I say) I would like to see the Jets become a smash mouth football team like a Pittsburgh and if that is the case then for this year Curtis is going to be the guy.

I was not impressed with Houston and Blaylock I think is going to be mainly a third down Bruce Harper type of back.

Next year I think if the Jets are again picking high in the draft (Definate Possability) then I think you will see them go for a top RB.

If Curtis is healthy he should come in around 1,100.

I don't think Mangini is going to be a guy who is going to have the QB throwing the football all over the field. I think (or should I say) I would like to see the Jets become a smash mouth football team like a Pittsburgh and if that is the case then for this year Curtis is going to be the guy.

I was not impressed with Houston and Blaylock I think is going to be mainly a third down Bruce Harper type of back.

Next year I think if the Jets are again picking high in the draft (Definate Possability) then I think you will see them go for a top RB.

agree with everything u say except last comment,, i think he gets hurt,, just a gut feel,, and when he heals, mangini wont have a reason to put him back in at that point

How could you be impressed with Houston and Blaylock? They rarely got PT under Herm, and even when they did, the offensive line had been wiped out.

How could you be impressed with Houston and Blaylock? They rarely got PT under Herm, and even when they did, the offensive line had been wiped out.

Blaylock was hurt for most of the year but even in KC he was mainly a third down back behind Holmes.

You are probably right about Houston with OL in shambles. It probably is too early to tell but to me I would be shocked if a healthy Martin this year plays behind Houston.

If Mangini is true to his word that every position is open then we will get a good look at Houston during the preseason to see what he can do and if he clearly outperforms Martin then he will be the starting RB.

Archived