Roughing The Passer Has Gotten Out Of Control

The Gun Of Bavaria

Ok this isn't because it happened against the Jets. This goes for the entire league. The Roughing the Passer enforcement has gotten completely out of control as a league. Put a skirt on these guys, football is a contact sport.

WHAT THE **** are these guys (Defensive Players) supposed to do? I mean seriously? Barton even lifted his head, there was ZERO contact helmet to helmet.

You have part time refs costing teams games and/or drives over completely horse**** enforcement because they're so scared by the league they'll call anything.

Absolutely out of control. The league's constant tweaking of rules (i.e. Onside Kick Rules) and it's overbearing protection of QBs is beginning to cause a black mark on an otherwise great run by the league

Both the calls today on Leftwich by Vilma & Barton were complete BULL****. ****ing ridiculous. How was Vilma supposed to stop & Barton's helmet hit Byron's SHOULDER. These refs ****ing suck but it wouldn't matter anyways, we'd still be down by at least 24.

Ok this isn't because it happened against the Jets. This goes for the entire league. The Roughing the Passer enforcement has gotten completely out of control as a league. Put a skirt on these guys, football is a contact sport.

WHAT THE **** are these guys (Defensive Players) supposed to do? I mean seriously? Barton even lifted his head, there was ZERO contact helmet to helmet.

You have part time refs costing teams games and/or drives over completely horse**** enforcement because they're so scared by the league they'll call anything.

Absolutely out of control. The league's constant tweaking of rules (i.e. Onside Kick Rules) and it's overbearing protection of QBs is beginning to cause a black mark on an otherwise great run by the league

I totally agree with you Guns.

They should just let all the QB's wear the red jersey like they do in training camp.

The calls on Vilma and Barton were absolutely pathetic.

Leftwhich is a total flake. Get up you big whuss you werent even hit in the head.

I do have a new found appreciation for good defenses in today'S NFL because really they are at such a disadvantage. You cant tap a receiver beyond 5 yards, you cant hit the QB, you cant tackle a player from behind his jersey. Really, its ridiculous

The ref who made those two calls should be fined or suspended. Imagine a call liek that determining the outcome of a game? Yikes.

I started a thread a few weeks ago about this, I never imagined it would get to this level. Now it's at the point where the refs don't even know what roughing the passer actually is and they are just calling it when they think it should have been.

I will say we got beat today, regardless of the officiating. But with the calls that were made today we never stood a chance of even trying to get back into the game. Horrible.

and now finally with Jacksonville up by 38 they start throwing yellow flags so when the league looks at the stats they don't get suspicious-total bullshiit-the thing is Jax didn't NEED any help today I would have liked to see what would have happened without the zebras help

Even Randy ****ing Cross agreed that the Jets got screwed on those calls.

Watching the games at the bar, I saw the refs calling **** like this all day long. This needs to be addressed immediately. If you TACKLE the ****ing QB it's roughing the passer.

OK, so Vilma gets called for RTP when Byron was still throwing the ball, but because Vilma planted his stupid bubba gump ass in the ground he gets the penalty for "driving him to the ground", but when 3 fat a$$ dlineman gang sacked Pennington and piled on him there was no penalty.

I want the names of all these referees who did this game, and I want their f##king heads on a silver platter. They blantantly fed the jaguars the calls, you could just see it in their faces. Filthy scumbag pieces of sh^t.

How the league can expect a 250lb LB on an all-out blitz to somehow modify his momentum midstream and avoid a 'hit' like the other 21 players on the field can take is BEYOND ME. Those calls just on principal alone still have me pissed off. Put em in red, make it 2 hand touch, if you want to baby them that long. Getting body slammed like Favre years ago, that's roughing the passer. Making a clean hit on QB you run right up the middle unabated to the QB, BS. That goes for ANY team. This isn't a Jets thing. This is a NFL issue.

No question they have gone way overboard to protect the QB's in the pocket from any hits.

They want 270-300 pound guys coming at all speeds and angles to stop or try to control themselves in the middle of tackles. NFL has to get more heat to turn this around.

Dude, when you get your a$$ kicked as bad as the Jets did yesterday, two bad calls by the refs were insignificant as to the outcome of the game.

Originally Posted by PatsFanTX

The calls on Vilma and Barton were absolutely pathetic.

i'm sorry but the NFL is right the QBs have to be protected more than other players because they are rare franchise players, fragile and yes entertainment for 16 weeks.

no one wants to see guys like Damon Huard or Brooks Bollinger - and no one said boo hoo three weeks ago when Junior Seau got called for the new below the waist roughing the QB against the Jets.

the game was basically out of hand before both of those calls

let's be honest Jets fans.

Down by 2 or 3 TDs on the road isn't a viable situation and if memory serves the Barton call was what 28 -0? Game long since over.

the refs may have jobbed them against the colts but against the jags that team ran the Jets off the field, it was basically over by halftime.

I don't think anyone is objecting to the QB's being protected more, but this IS tackle football and they must be tackled. Roughing the passer is for crap above & beyond, and neither occurred on either of those two plays.

The fact that we were getting clobbered with or without the calls is irrelevant, and GOB was not using those calls as an excuse for us losing. It was crap and anyone watching the game knows it.

It was crap and anyone watching the game knows it.

all im saying is if you hate roughing penalties so much make sure not to cheer when they call it on some punk trying to hurt Chad next week.

no one said life is fair - vilma and barton were playing hard but also trying to hurt Byron leftwich and that guy is a valuable commodity not just to the Jaguars but to the league as a whole.

no one in Jacksonville wants to see Gerrard or whatever his name is and no one in NY wants to see Clemens. There are like 20 people in the world at any given time who can do a reasonable impersonation of an NFL QB it was a crappy penalty but people need to wake up the year is 2006 not 1986.

The game changes. Economics dictates these players need protection and no one cares what the fans think. The tinker with the pass interferance rules every year for the same reasons to enhance the product. When guys like Vilma and Barton crush guys like Byron the product suffers over the course of 16 weeks.

no one in Jacksonville wants to see Gerrard or whatever his name is and no one in NY wants to see Clemens. There are like 20 people in the world at any given time who can do a reasonable impersonation of an NFL QB it was a crappy penalty but people need to wake up the year is 2006 not 1986.

Actually, there ARE some Jets fans that want Clemens out there instead of Pennington, not that I'm one of them, but there are some out there ;)

There should be some penalties protecting the quarterback but they have way too many right now, it was fine with last year's rules. I also don't liike how you can't bring a guy down by his jersey.

Does anyone know if you can still pull a guy down by his hair?

Does anyone know if you can still pull a guy down by his hair?

that is still legal if it's in the context of a tackle

in the context of blocking hair pulling it would be considered holding or unsportsmanlike - but it's a question of enforcement.

the refs have options when they can call holding et cetera but they are ridden hard by the league to throw the flag when someone really tees off on a QB.

it sucks from a purity of the game standpoint but i think we all saw last year unfold and can understand why they would do it.

no one said life is fair - vilma and barton were playing hard but also trying to hurt Byron leftwich

Are you ****ting me?

Both of those tackles were clean. So now, whenever someone merely tackles a QB, it means they had malicious intent?

Neither led with the crown of their helmet. Neither gave him a head slap. Neither tried to take out his knee. So, how exactly were they trying to injure Leftwich?

Are you ****ting me?

Both of those tackles were clean. So now, whenever someone merely tackles a QB, it means they had malicious intent?

Neither led with the crown of their helmet. Neither gave him a head slap. Neither tried to take out his knee. So, how exactly were they trying to injure Leftwich?

Of course Vilma was trying to hurt him, he used his full body weight to tackle a QB that outweighs him by 15 pounds. Next time he should just two hand touch him, I'm sure Leftwich would oblige by falling over. Isn't football a contact sport?

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjnotes104926953oct10,0,4332401.story?coll=ny-jets-print

Rule was unknown to Barton

BY TOM ROCK

Newsday Staff Writer

October 10, 2006

Eric Barton said he'd never heard the phrase "dip and whip," the term referee Tony Corrente used to describe Barton's helmet-to-helmet penalty against Jaguars quarterback Byron Leftwich on Sunday.

Essentially, Corrente described it as a defensive player making contact with the shoulder, then sliding up to the head area. It was one of two questionable third-down penalties against the Jets - the other was against Jonathan Vilma for, essentially, landing on top of Leftwich after a clean hit - that meant little in the 41-0 rout but illustrated the team's crumbling luck.

Jets coach Eric Mangini said those two plays, along with several others, will be sent to the NFL for "clarification."

Barton said the dip-and- whip penalty will not change his approach or cause him to hesitate on his next clear path to a quarterback.

"I'm going to play the same way no matter what," he said. "You're taught to tackle a certain way. He's 270 pounds, for God's sake. There's not too many ways you can get him down."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjnotes104926953oct10,0,4332401.story?coll=ny-jets-print

Rule was unknown to Barton

BY TOM ROCK

Newsday Staff Writer

October 10, 2006

Eric Barton said he'd never heard the phrase "dip and whip," the term referee Tony Corrente used to describe Barton's helmet-to-helmet penalty against Jaguars quarterback Byron Leftwich on Sunday.

Essentially, Corrente described it as a defensive player making contact with the shoulder, then sliding up to the head area. It was one of two questionable third-down penalties against the Jets - the other was against Jonathan Vilma for, essentially, landing on top of Leftwich after a clean hit - that meant little in the 41-0 rout but illustrated the team's crumbling luck.

Jets coach Eric Mangini said those two plays, along with several others, will be sent to the NFL for "clarification."

Barton said the dip-and- whip penalty will not change his approach or cause him to hesitate on his next clear path to a quarterback.

"I'm going to play the same way no matter what," he said. "You're taught to tackle a certain way. He's 270 pounds, for God's sake. There's not too many ways you can get him down."

In other breaking news, breaking down, lowering the hips, driving the arms making contact while continuing to drive the legs and lift until the tackle has been made is illegal too. :) Put a skirt on these panzees.

Archived