Arod has no value huh?

madmike1

Buster Olney:

They can get a whole lot (for Arod), because of what his place on the market will be. This off-season, Alfonso Soriano might get $80 million, and Carlos Lee might get $75 million. There's going to be a ton of money spent on what is widely considered to be a mediocre free agent market. And now the Yankees might dangle a 31-year-old future Hall of Famer with Gold Glove caliber skills at shortstop -- and oh by the way, your obligation is only $64 million over four years (which is the Yankees' portion of his salary; the Rangers pay the rest). I'd bet anywhere from 8 to 10 teams would be involved in the talks, because in another situation, with another team, he may very well go back to being A-Rod, and he might break the all-time home run record in your uniform. I think he'd have tremendous value, and it would actually help the Yankees address pitching needs.

There should be no value for someone who goes 1-14 with 4 K's in the playoffs and in the regular season can't get a clutch hit to save his life. (Okay, wow, he had 1 walk off home run ONCE in 3 years here).

F A-Rod, trade him for some young NOT INJURED arms.

If good pitching is available in return, the trigger has to be pulled.

"good" anything will not be really the outcome coming back to the Yankees.

For once, the Yankees will be on the other side of a "salary dump" situation.

When you have to get rid of a player with salary, and that team is forced to take on salary, you don't get much in return.

kinda like what the Yankees gave the Phils for Abreu

When you have to get rid of a player with salary, and that team is forced to take on salary, you don't get much in return.

Scott...I know that's what you'll be rooting for

But that will just not happen

You're not getting this man for peanuts....even though you want that to happen

Idiotic statements from Mets fans are making it really tough to root for your team

Oh yeah, its just like the phillies with Abreu.

If the Yankees trade Arod they'll get plenty back.

And calling olney a yankee schill is the exact same thing most yankee fans call him, only a red sox schill. He's pretty fair balanced IMO.

Scott...I know that's what you'll be rooting for

But that will just not happen

You're not getting this man for peanuts....even though you want that to happen

Idiotic statements from Mets fans are making it really tough to root for your team

Jone- I thought you were a better baseball fan and would know how salary dumps work in this league.

If you think I want him on teh Mets, forget it. Where would he play?

Just because you are bitter does not mean that realistic posts are suddenly idiotic. Sorry

If the Yankees agree to pick up a portion of A-Rods remaining contract, almost any team in baseball would make money by dealing for him. He's a known name to the casual fan who would come out to watch him hit meaningless 450ft home runs. A-Rod has value to several mid level teams who can profit from a financial, PR, and competitive standpoint. Milwaukee comes to mind for example. Of course this is all JMO and we'll see this off-season just what the yankees get in return for him. Then we'll know who was right and who was wrong. This is akin to Tx running around laughing at those of us who swore John Abe was worth a first rounder. Of course the Jets were not dealing from a position of strength based on his injury history, contract demands, and desire to be dealt. That worked out fine and my guess is that A-Rod will also. We'll find out in the coming weeks.

Oh yeah, its just like the phillies with Abreu.

If the Yankees trade Arod they'll get plenty back.

And calling olney a yankee schill is the exact same thing most yankee fans call him, only a red sox schill. He's pretty fair balanced IMO.

Barton-Abreu had worn out his welcome in Philly, the fans were all over and questioned his heart. He also had a huge salary attched to him.

Tell me where the Arod situation is different.

If the Yankees agree to pick up a portion of A-Rods remaining contract, almost any team in baseball would make money by dealing for him. He's a known name to the casual fan who would come out to watch him hit meaningless 450ft home runs. A-Rod has value to several mid level teams who can profit from a financial, PR, and competitive standpoint. Milwaukee comes to mind for example. Of course this is all JMO and we'll see this off-season just what the yankees get in return for him. Then we'll know who was right and who was wrong. This is akin to Tx running around laughing at those of us who swore John Abe was worth a first rounder. Of course the Jets were not dealing from a position of strength based on his injury history, contract demands, and desire to be dealt. That worked out fine and my guess is that A-Rod will also. We'll find out in the coming weeks.

does arod have a notrade clause???

if so, he aint going to milwaukee..

maybe texas, arizona, the florida teams,, but milwaukee,, dont see it

Barton-Abreu had worn out his welcome in Philly, the fans were all over and questioned his heart. He also had a huge salary attched to him.

He's younger than Abreu. He's a household name with casual fans, whereas Abreu is a virtual unknown to the average joe. He's far better than Abreu and has A LOT more left in the tank. Those are all very big differences.

Buster Olney....bwa-hahahhahahahahahahahaha

Go to ESPN.com and read why some other dude thinks that y'all should trade Jetes!

Hey moron, don't you have Manny Ramirez to worry about ? Go clean up your own house before you come here discussing a team that was way better than yours this year.

Jone- I thought you were a better baseball fan and would know how salary dumps work in this league.

If you think I want him on teh Mets, forget it. Where would he play?

Just because you are bitter does not mean that realistic posts are suddenly idiotic. Sorry

4 years 64 Mill

Soriano will get 80 Mill

I'll take ARod.....he's not going anywhere, at least I hope he doesn't

He's younger than Abreu. He's a household name with casual fans, whereas Abreu is a virtual unknown to the average joe. He's far better than Abreu and has A LOT more left in the tank. Those are all very big differences.

You think Abreu is unknown to teh "average" fan? C'mon AFJ, you are better than that. The "average" fan has voted him to start the All Star game.

Their age differnce? 1 year.

C'mon-These are reaches

It's not.

When the teams interested in a player KNOW that the dealing team has to move him, the offers are always less than they would be otherwise.

No one is going to give the Yankees a sweetheart deal because they're the Yankees. You're going to get less than anything close to market value for A-Rod because the acquiring team(s) have the leverage in this case.

You might get an offer of 1 top-line prospect plus a useful (not star quality) major leaguer, but that's about it.

You think Abreu is unknown to teh "average" fan? C'mon AFJ, you are better than that. The "average" fan has voted him to start the All Star game.

C'mon-These are reaches

maybe his average fan is 14 years old and in front of a video baseball game

When you make great deals, you are usually dealing from a position of strength. Meaning you have something that other people want, and they feel that you can't do without it.

The Yankees are not dealing from a position of strength with A-Rod.

Scott --

How are they not dealing from a position of strength?

1. They don't have to dump his salary.

2. They can keep him he has said ALL the right things, he doesn't want to go etc.

3. If they don't get a crazy offer for him they just keep him. And he sets the all time HR Record in the Bronx.

4. He goes into the HOF as a Yankee if they don't trade him.

Seems like the Yankees have the cards here. Especially considering how many teams would be interested. 4 years - 64 million. In his prime? Cmon. If the Yankees decide they want to get rid of him they are in the drivers seat.

C'mon-These are reaches

SD, I wasn't saying the average fan. I meant the average joe. Yes, the average baseball fan is familiar with the guy but I'm talking about a player who people come out to see even if theyre not fans. Alex Rodriguez' name carries star power. Like him or not (and since last season I've been among those in the not group) but that doesn't take away the fact that he brings instant recognition to any mid level team looking for a draw. He sells tickets. Let a team like Milwukee sign Bobby Abreu and see what impact he has on ticket sales as opposed to signing A-Rod.

While A-Rod is only a year younger, he's playing like he's got a ton of good (meaningless) baseball left in him. Abreu was a nice hitter this season but has seen a decline in production over the past couple of seasons showing that he's playing like a guy who doesn't take very good care of himself and it's catching up with him. A-Rod is still hitting a ton of HRs in a ballpark where RH batters historically have low HR totals.

Scott --

How are they not dealing from a position of strength?

1. They don't have to dump his salary.

2. They can keep him he has said ALL the right things, he doesn't want to go etc.

3. If they don't get a crazy offer for him they just keep him. And he sets the all time HR Record in the Bronx.

4. He goes into the HOF as a Yankee if they don't trade him.

Seems like the Yankees have the cards here. Especially considering how many teams would be interested. 4 years - 64 million. In his prime? Cmon. If the Yankees decide they want to get rid of him they are in the drivers seat.

Max- Public sentiment may sway the Yankees that they have to make thsi move. That would be a move where they don't have leverage.

A new manager for the Yankees? And they will saddle him with this A-rod deal where he has to massage his ego, make him feel pretty and protect him. That will be a hard thing to ask a new manager.

if Torre stays, I can see them keeping A-Rod.

A new manager though, I think they have to make the move out. And they will be forced to deal, if that is the case.

Max- Public sentiment may sway the Yankees that they have to make thsi move. That would be a move where they don't have leverage.

A new manager for the Yankees? And they will saddle him with this A-rod deal where he has to massage his ego, make him feel pretty and protect him. That will be a hard thing to ask a new manager.

if Torre stays, I can see them keeping A-Rod.

A new manager though, I think they have to make the move out. And they will be forced to deal, if that is the case.

Actually, if Torre stays, I can see A-Rod moving. Joe knows it's time to get something back for him and end the experiment.

Lou will want A-R-d here if he becomes the next manager. So will Giradi, IMO.

Actually, if Torre stays, I can see A-Rod moving. Joe knows it's time to get something back for him and end the experiment.

Lou will want A-R-d here if he becomes the next manager. So will Giradi, IMO.

That would be a tough gig to take. While the excuse for failure (A-rod) will be be built in, if I was taking over that position, the A-Rod circus is not one I want pitching a tent in my camp.

It will be interesting to see.

Archived